Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Book club - Open for nominations

Comments

• Options
    Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    edited January 2019
    1. Do you think the characters and their problems are realistic?
    Franny's hardships in Paris definitely seem realistic to me. That's why I love reading this part of the story most.

2. Diana has a great circle of friends, but it may not be enough. She needs to provide for her daughter. Should she sue her daughter's father for maintenance money?
    I wish she did. If Alejandro can't learn, he must pay.

3. Do you have any favourite ships?
    Diana and Franny will always be my favourite ship, despite how unlikely it is. I don't think Diana will want to have anything to do with another musician again. That doesn't leave many options, unless l'inspecteur Leroux moves to Willow Creek. :D Although I think Linda would be a better match for Leroux as they both seem to be very absorbed in their work.

4. Pick any character and assign a totem animal to them that in your opinion characterizes them.
    I already told Candy I see Franny as an eagle. Freedom loving loner. Mae is some kind of rodent. Maybe a hamster. Running, erratically zigzagging.
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
  • Options
    Piazzagirl1015Piazzagirl1015 Posts: 2,500 Member
    @Piazzagirl1015 I'm afraid I don't get the fox reference...

Sorry I should know better than to use slang, it means attractive and can be used for men or woman.

• Options
    candycottonchucandycottonchu Posts: 906 Member
    @Maladi777
    1. fascinating! I always was worried if things aren't a bit too far fetched.

3. You can forget Leroux and women :D

@Piazzagirl1015 Oh, I understand now! I could only think of sly foxes, and that srsly didn’t make any sense to me.
  • Options
    1. Your sets are amazing. Where do you find inspiration for decorating your sims' houses?
    Most of my houses are edited existing lots from the gallery, or other websites, so I could say those are my inspiration, and I just tweak them to fit my character's personalities. Rarely I build something completely new, and usually I have just an idea of a detail, and create everything around it. For Mae's apartment in Paris I knew it should be a one-room one, with a simple shower in the kitchen. A friend used to live in a place like this, and I found it funny so I took that idea.

2. Describe your creative process. How does a chapter of NBT come to be?
    I sit down and write the whole thing first, at least up to 90%. Depending on how complicated is the subject, this can take quite a long time xD
    Then I go and look for poses, usually I never find what I need, so I edit or make new ones. Then I go in game and take the screenshots. And sometimes I'm lazy and rewrite a detail of my story to match poses I already have, or skip a screenshot or two that I wanted to put in first.
    While I screenshot, I often rewrite some parts of the chapter, or add details to make it more fluent. Or I delete unnecessary stuff.
    When I'm done screenshotting, I open a preview of my chapter, and read again, and correct things I notice don't work out as I wanted, but then usually it's only spelling and grammar errors left.
    When I'm content, I publish it. When not, I keep working until I am. It happened already once that I deleted completely finished chapters because I didn't like them, after all.

3. Everyone has them. How do you fight writer's block?
    I have constantly writer's block. I have a lot of ideas, but I'm struggling to put them in the right words and narrative. I'm probably the only writer that actually cannot write xD
    Most important, I never really wait to be in mood for writing. I just do it when I have time. It doesn't have to be the next chapter, sometimes it's just a random idea I have in my head, or I sort out and adjust my outline. Sometimes I stare at my empty screen for an hour, and I start to write whatever comes in my head. Then I edit, rewrite, write more, edit and so on. Sooner or later I have a chapter done :smiley:
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    sorry the coffee is late. computer glitch.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    CH-saturday2.jpg

Welcome to Saturday's Coffee Hour!

@friendsfan367 You're just in time!

Questions for the readers:

1. How did the characters change throughout the story? How did your opinion of them change?
    2. Was there a moment that caught you completely by surprise?
    3. Any favourite screenshots you kept staring at?

Questions for the author:

1. What is the weirdest thing you had to research for your story?
    2. I have it from a good source that authors think up the craziest details for their characters. From special tattoos, shoes sizes and other stuff sizes to blood types and star signs. What did you come up with for your characters?
    3. Pick one or more characters and tell us what is the worst thing you can imagine they would ever do (can be anything from selling their mother-in-law's beloved poodle to a murder).
    heffners_orig.jpg
  • Options
    AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    @Piazzagirl1015 I'm afraid I don't get the fox reference...

@AudreyFld Heeeyyy I didn't expect you here tbh! <3 I hope you're enjoying your cruise?

Had fun...headed home now. :'(

1. How did the characters change throughout the story? How did your opinion of them change?
    We got to know several of them more in depth and I appreciated that. Some of characters began to come to life. Mae, Linda, Franco, and Al seemed to be the “main characters” in this story and the others are supporting actors.
    Linda getting married...I think she rushed into it. Not surprised it’s ending.
    Most.y the more recent ones with Franco and Mae. She’s so pretty and he’s so handsome in a brooding kinda way.
  • Options
    sorry the coffee is late. it rained here so mom called and texted one of each so since i had to leave early cause now shes afraid of me falling in mud. she wasn't when it happened. i guess its a delayed reaction. love her though :)

coffee is ready. virtual coffee makes faster than the real thing. :)
  • Options
    sorry the coffee is late. it rained here so mom called and texted one of each so since i had to leave early cause now shes afraid of me falling in mud. she wasn't when it happened. i guess its a delayed reaction. love her though :)

coffee is ready. virtual coffee makes faster than the real thing. :)

i made extra today becauseof winter.
  • Options
    @AudreyFld glad you enjoyed it! and welcome back home <3

Questions for the author

1. What is the weirdest thing you had to research for your story?
    I admit I don't research too much... Idk if that counts as weird, but I checked about cases in which regular Heroin consumption doesn't cause addiction, and different injuries caused by beating and their heal times. I did check up the current scientific knowledge in the 90s for genom code sequencing, and since when the term bisexual was used commonly.
    Oh, and I did check for the police ranks in France.
    2. I have it from a good source that authors think up the craziest details for their characters. From special tattoos, shoes sizes and other stuff sizes to blood types and star signs. What did you come up with for your characters?
    Height, birthdays, favourite foods and favourite colors for most of them. Others are not easy to explain, like special facial expressions, or a certain way to talk. Linda for example would never say a swear word.
    3. Pick one or more characters and tell us what is the worst thing you can imagine they would ever do (can be anything from selling their mother-in-law's beloved poodle to a murder).
    I think given the right circumstances, basically all of them could kill someone. In normal everyday life it's just the usual cheating lying, and selfishness seen already in the story. My characters are rather tame xD
  • Options

On several of the main characters I do believe they are still in transition. However, Diana changed from a frightened girl in trouble into a self supporting woman who is able to take care of herself and her daughter. We seen her better herself under the worst conditions. She does have a good support system which helped but she developed an inner strength. This doesn't mean that Al should be let off the hook. He plays he pays. Wouldn't it be funny if Al were hit with a whole bunch of paternity suits after Deep Rift became big? Real and fake?

Franco being bi. (I know everyone is calling him Franny but that is the name of my 80 year old aunt. I see her face every time I hear Franny so I can't call him that.)

Also that time with Sofia and Al caught me by surprise. I knew that Al was not a good person but I only credited him for being a man w***e and neglectful to the kids. I never thought of him as being mean, cruel and abusive which is what that statement was.

Any screenshot with Deep Rift in it.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    CH-sunday2.jpg

Hello Book clubbers! Happy Sunday to you all!

Our week with Neighbourhood talk is sadly coming to its end. Those who are late to the party can still answer questions from previous days.
    Here's the last few questions.

For the readers:

1. Do you think Frank will ever gather courage to confess his feelings to Linda? Or will they stay just friends forever?
    2. What's your opinion on Sofia & Paolo's marriage? Will it last?
    3. Is there anything you would like to ask the author?

For the author:

1. Do you prefer to write in silence or do you listen to music? If you listen to music, what kind gets you in the right mood for writing?
    2. Describe your perfect writing environment, including favourite drink and snack.
    3. Do you have any message for your readers? Some hints on what they can look forward to in future chapters?

With that I'd like to thank everyone who have participated: @Piazzagirl1015 @InfraGreen @kirivian @AudreyFld and of course @candycottonchu without whom we wouldn't have anything to discuss. And I must not forget our lurking barista @friendsfan367
    I hope you all had a great time!
    Post edited by Maladi777 on
    heffners_orig.jpg
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Why is it that I told myself I'd finish Neighbourhood Talk this week because it's in bookclub but somehow haven't gotten to it? :unamused: I guess I'll just move it up a little on my reading list. :)
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Thanks @Maladi777 for the excellent and impassioned hosting. I'm sure @candycottonchu and the rest of us value you for all that you do. <3 I'm sorry for not being around all the time this week btw. The perils of being on vacation. :p

1. I think it can happen. Her rejecting Brian's proposal opened up a lot of doors after all.

2. Nah. :p

3. Do you have a Season Two teaser for us? ;)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    Why is it that I told myself I'd finish Neighbourhood Talk this week because it's in bookclub but somehow haven't gotten to it? :unamused: I guess I'll just move it up a little on my reading list. :)
    I know the feeling. :p
    heffners_orig.jpg
  • Options
    @Maladi777 Thank you so much! You did a wonderful job hosting.

1. Do you think Frank will ever gather courage to confess his feelings to Linda? Or will they stay just friends forever?

I hope that they will do both. I like their relationship so I am hoping that one of them will confess their feelings and fall in love and be best friends also.

I never trusted or liked that relationship. I question why Paolo wanted someone so much younger than him and in fact a minor while I think Sofia was looking for a way out of her house.

A statement more than a question. I love reading her story and how she focuses on relationships. I always look forward to reading her updates.

I want to second this question as I would love to see the answer:
    InfraGreen wrote: »

3. Do you have a Season Two teaser for us? ;)

• Options
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »

i haven't even read the first one . so by the time i get glasses i'll be hopelessly buried under simlit.

mal found a way i can at least be here.

coffee is ready. :)

and thanks mal. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Funnily my opinion changes as @candycottonchu adds more background to the characters. All Paris chapters add more to Franco and Mae and also something about Linda. I love that. Makes me look at the season one with different eyes sometimes.
    Diego's death. I sat and gaped at my screen.
    This one was first of many I kept staring at. Young Franny was a nice treat.
    29.03.18_19-07-51.png

Something unexpected would have to happen first to force Frank to confess. The way things are, he's too comfortable in the friend zone to change anything.
    Can't imagine it would last. Sofia seemed to be idealizing Paolo and sooner or later she must lose those rosy glasses.
    I think I did plenty of asking already. :D But okay, one more question. How long Paris will be?
    heffners_orig.jpg
  • Options
    I hope so! I always root for romance! :)
    2. What's your opinion on Sofia & Paolo's marriage? Will it last? I don't have an opinion, but doubt it will last... :(
    3. Is there anything you would like to ask the author? @Maladi777's asked a LOT! I am curious as to what's in store for Franco and Mae, but I have a feeling I will be disappointed and of course, she won't tell us! :)
  • Options
    @Piazzagirl1015 @InfraGreen
    Do you have a Season Two teaser for us? ;)
    Isn't Ben teasing enough? ;o Jk.
    Yes, I actually have planned a bigger teaser! Originally I wanted to post it after the Paris chapters, but since Paris will be about half done with the next update and you have asked, I will release it earlier. (I just have to find the notes for it again... x.x)
    Look out for my thread in the close future.
    I know everyone is calling him Franny but that is the name of my 80 year old aunt. I see her face every time I hear Franny so I can't call him that.
    You made me giggle on this one! xD

@Maladi777
    Maladi777 wrote: »
    I have to correct you - young Franny is a nice treat ;)
    Something unexpected would have to happen first to force Frank to confess. The way things are, he's too comfortable in the friend zone to change anything.
    Why do you think it's Frank that has to confess? Maybe it will be vice versa?
    I think I did plenty of asking already. :D But okay, one more question. How long Paris will be?
    It's about half finished now.

@AudreyFld
    AudreyFld wrote: »
    3. Is there anything you would like to ask the author? @Maladi777's asked a LOT! I am curious as to what's in store for Franco and Mae, but I have a feeling I will be disappointed and of course, she won't tell us! :)
    From season one we know that there's no happy ending for them in Paris, obviously! But now you had the opportunity to learn much more about both their characters, so I'd like to ask you, the readers @AudreyFld @Maladi777 @Piazzagirl1015 @kirivian @InfraGreen :
    Do you think they would even be a good match for each other in the future?

Now to the last questions for me (does anyone even read my rambling except @Maladi777 ...)

1. Do you prefer to write in silence or do you listen to music? If you listen to music, what kind gets you in the right mood for writing?
    It depends. Sometimes I prefer quiet, but often I listen to music, too. I usually listen to the same stuff I always do. It's usually something others would describe as depressing or angry :D
    But I don't have playlists or special "mood"-music for writing.
    2. Describe your perfect writing environment, including favourite drink and snack.
    I need silence. Music is okay, but background noise freaks me out. And I need a green tea with milk, and my e-cigarette. I usually don't eat while writing.
    3. Do you have any message for your readers? Some hints on what they can look forward to in future chapters?
    Hints? I'd say you can expect a lot of messed up drama. All the characters have basically left season 1 in a mess, and they'll have to clean it up c: Also I have two new characters planned in with more important roles, one of them is Ben, who you might have seen on tumblr a few times, and the other is Charlotte, who is now with Mae in Paris.

And a message... most importantly:
    THANK YOU ALL FOR PARTICIPATING @Piazzagirl1015 , @InfraGreen , @kirivian , @AudreyFld , THANK YOU @Maladi777 for bringing book club hosting to another level, like, holy f*** s* this was amazing, and THANK YOU @friendsfan367 for the abundance of coffee!
    I haven't expected not even half the feedback that has happened here in this week, and I'm completely overwhelmed and speechless for all your kind support for my story. I love you all. Really.
    thank-you1.png
  • Options
    @candycottonchu Sure will keep a close eye on your thread : :D Looking forward to it

I don't know as of yet. Both of them have to end their current marriages which Franco is going to have a difficult time and I'm sure Mae has a lot of guilt to deal with. I'm sorry to have to say this as I might be the only one this way but I'm not feeling them as a couple. Reading the second part first sort of clouds my opinion of them. If I read Paris first I probably would as I do like how you are developing them as friends first than lovers or if I seen them rebuilding their relationship in present time. However this is not the case so I need more time to see what exactly happen in Paris before answering.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I have to say that after Paris they seem too different to me to believe they can work. Franco has been through a lot and the fact that he settled down and married Rosa shows he wants no more excitement like Paris in his life. For the same reason he left her, after she started acting like a crazy jealous witch. He wants his peace. Mae is too wild. She would drive him crazy.
    heffners_orig.jpg
  • Options
    @Piazzagirl1015 @InfraGreen
    Do you have a Season Two teaser for us? ;)
    Isn't Ben teasing enough? ;o Jk.
    Yes, I actually have planned a bigger teaser! Originally I wanted to post it after the Paris chapters, but since Paris will be about half done with the next update and you have asked, I will release it earlier. (I just have to find the notes for it again... x.x)
    Look out for my thread in the close future.
    I know everyone is calling him Franny but that is the name of my 80 year old aunt. I see her face every time I hear Franny so I can't call him that.
    You made me giggle on this one! xD

@Maladi777
    I have to correct you - young Franny is a nice treat ;)
    Why do you think it's Frank that has to confess? Maybe it will be vice versa?
    It's about half finished now.

@AudreyFld
    From season one we know that there's no happy ending for them in Paris, obviously! But now you had the opportunity to learn much more about both their characters, so I'd like to ask you, the readers @AudreyFld @Maladi777 @Piazzagirl1015 @kirivian @InfraGreen :

Now to the last questions for me (does anyone even read my rambling except @Maladi777 ...)

It depends. Sometimes I prefer quiet, but often I listen to music, too. I usually listen to the same stuff I always do. It's usually something others would describe as depressing or angry :D
    But I don't have playlists or special "mood"-music for writing.
    I need silence. Music is okay, but background noise freaks me out. And I need a green tea with milk, and my e-cigarette. I usually don't eat while writing.
    Hints? I'd say you can expect a lot of messed up drama. All the characters have basically left season 1 in a mess, and they'll have to clean it up c: Also I have two new characters planned in with more important roles, one of them is Ben, who you might have seen on tumblr a few times, and the other is Charlotte, who is now with Mae in Paris.

And a message... most importantly:
    THANK YOU ALL FOR PARTICIPATING @Piazzagirl1015 , @InfraGreen , @kirivian , @AudreyFld , THANK YOU @Maladi777 for bringing book club hosting to another level, like, holy f*** s* this was amazing, and THANK YOU @friendsfan367 for the abundance of coffee!
    I haven't expected not even half the feedback that has happened here in this week, and I'm completely overwhelmed and speechless for all your kind support for my story. I love you all. Really.
    thank-you1.png

thank you for including mein the thanks i didn't do that much. :):)
  • Options
    I have to say that after Paris they seem too different to me to believe they can work. Franco has been through a lot and the fact that he settled down and married Rosa shows he wants no more excitement like Paris in his life. For the same reason he left her, after she started acting like a crazy jealous witch. He wants his peace. Mae is too wild. She would drive him crazy.

I tend to agree, but they are drawn to each other even after Paris. But yes, they both have to get divorced and all sorts of things could happen during that process to either bring them together or push them apart more. Yes, Mae is a bit wild, but I think she wants to settle down too. I think they both simply settled for the wrong person....
  • Options

I tend to agree, but they are drawn to each other even after Paris. But yes, they both have to get divorced and all sorts of things could happen during that process to either bring them together or push them apart more. Yes, Mae is a bit wild, but I think she wants to settle down too. I think they both simply settled for the wrong person....

wait we talk about ships a lot now were unshipping couples? lol a lot happens when i'm at work.