Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you for/against pack requirements for new DLC?

Comments

• Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Absolutely not.
    Oooooo...
    Eliharb wrote: »
    I personally hope they innovate and make it so that we can have a lot functioning as apartments+restaurant or apartments+retail etc.

Oooo...Apartments plus a cafe on the lower level would let me finally design The Friends apartment I have always wanted. I did it in Apartment Life but the cafe was, obviously, not staffed. Phoebe, Ross, Chandler and Joey need a home so badly in TS4.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Yes, why not.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    No, I see that as double dipping. Requiring me to have more than the base to add an add on is just wrong. Much like that Stuff pack recently.

Asking people to pay again for something they already purchased isn't double-dipping? If you bought GTW to get aliens, would you rather pay for a $10 Alien Stuff Pack or a $40 Futuristic Pack that gives you aliens and the same new clothing and BB objects you could have got with the stuff pack? $50 vs $80 total for the same content.

Or, let's look at something else - you buy a vegetable-chopper with some basic blades, and then you buy the Ronco-Rooter Super Vegetable Chopper Gourmet and Party Pack blades to make those little curly garnishes. Next, they offer a sharpener that works with the new blades. Would you prefer that they require you to buy the special blades again to get the sharpener, or that they offer the sharpener ('Requires Gourmet and Party Pack', sold separately') on its own? Companies do this all the time.

Do the math - selling add-ons for DLC is a much better deal for the consumer than selling the same DLC twice.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Absolutely not.
    @invisiblgirl They already are doing what you indicate in your examples. They make EP's and GP's for a game which we already purchased that we have to buy seperately. Same as your special blades for the chopper.

Where some of us draw the line is if they want to take that 3 levels deep, rather than just 2 like the current model. The sharpener is not a really good parallel to sims games though, because the sharpener isn't particularly exciting to own; you aren't going to want the sharpener if you don't already own the blades.

Personally, I feel we need to draw the line somewhere because otherwise we'll get to where every EP and GP requires that you have every single one that was released before it, removing all consumer choice.

(post edited to have fewer words).
    Post edited by Stormkeep on
  • Options
    puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    Depends on the contents.
    If I wasn't interested in the first pack, I probably won't care about the second. So whatever I guess? lol
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Eliharb wrote: »

That's very true. I think it's already on their list if they're not already working on it.

I personally hope they innovate and make it so that we can have a lot functioning as apartments+restaurant or apartments+retail etc.

That tweet excites me :)

• Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited December 2018
    Absolutely not.
    No, never again. (Looking at you MFP!) I’m against this.

How about: devs, put more content in your packs?! And do more free patch content and create more packs in a year. (Sims 1, 2, and 3 had tons of content in their EPs, especially, and Sims 3 had more EPs at a quicker pace.)

We are already pay for a smaller amount than past Sims games in some packs, so I would rather they try to figure out how to add more content and patch in more free content.

And IF we must do the DLC for a DLC route, then make it cheaper for smaller transactions (especially if it’s just one feature or a small thing).

Edited to add: How about the company... oh, I don’t know, create a Sims 4 store—at reasonable prices!—if a company want to get even more of our monies, lol?
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Depends on the contents.
    In the case of apartments, it is worth it, but generally I would say no. I remember 10 years ago I bought a rollercoaster tycoon 3 EP just to find out I needed to buy the base game. I was naive then.

Maybe if apartments are included in another EP, you can buy it independently of city living.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Depends on the contents.
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    An example for NOT having required EP/GP - if we ever get a winter themed vacation spot. Everyone who buys that DLC would have winter in that location. Even those who do not have Seasons. But those who do not have Seasons would not have winter in their other neighborhoods, it would be only be in that world.
    This makes sense. That way you can have the functionality, but you are not necessarily required to have seasons to use it.

• Options
    NovaBelladonnaNovaBelladonna Posts: 58 Member
    Absolutely not.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    No, I see that as double dipping. Requiring me to have more than the base to add an add on is just wrong. Much like that Stuff pack recently.

Asking people to pay again for something they already purchased isn't double-dipping? If you bought GTW to get aliens, would you rather pay for a $10 Alien Stuff Pack or a $40 Futuristic Pack that gives you aliens and the same new clothing and BB objects you could have got with the stuff pack? $50 vs $80 total for the same content.

Or, let's look at something else - you buy a vegetable-chopper with some basic blades, and then you buy the Ronco-Rooter Super Vegetable Chopper Gourmet and Party Pack blades to make those little curly garnishes. Next, they offer a sharpener that works with the new blades. Would you prefer that they require you to buy the special blades again to get the sharpener, or that they offer the sharpener ('Requires Gourmet and Party Pack', sold separately') on its own? Companies do this all the time.

Do the math - selling add-ons for DLC is a much better deal for the consumer than selling the same DLC twice.

... or give people who already own GtW a discount on a Futuristic pack?

Or slowly add what would be the contents of a Futuristic pack as free updates if you own GtW. With those extra updates more people will buy GtW because they'll see it as better value for money and people who already own GtW don't miss out.

This game is loved a diverse group of people, it is especially appealing to those in the LGBTQIA* community and those with health issues - groups statistically more likely to be low income. This game is almost impossible to keep up with on a low budget.
    For a let's play about a vampire who wants to take over the world, check out my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmFyY60q4J0PJNKCePjVG8g
  • Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    Absolutely not.
    i don't trust anyone in this thread that didn't say no, tbh. like, are you kidding me? dlc for dlc is a scam and shouldn't be a thing
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • Options
    ctroictroi Posts: 36 Member
    Depends on the contents.
    I say it depends on content. I don't think Pet Stuff went over that well, so overall, not too smart of a move. I personally haven't gotten that pack yet. I will. In time. But it isn't a priority of mine.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    alyssa123 wrote: »
    i don't trust anyone in this thread that didn't say no, tbh. like, are you kidding me? dlc for dlc is a scam and shouldn't be a thing

While I don't remember if I voted in this thread, I must say that everything we have now is alread some kind of DLC for DLC. What to get all possible Club Activities for Get Together?Buy another packs!. Want to earn fame from other types of career not in the base game and get famous(e.g. Food Critic)? Buy the pack that has it!. Want to Sell Pet Items to your retail Store?But the Cats and Dogs EP! Want to have all the possible events for the Calendar introduced in Seasons EP?Buy other packs that expand that content!

Basically as in my example that alone is an example of DLC for DLC. What is DLC for DLC? Its a DLC introduced to expand content from other DLC, and we already have that. Personally if they didn't do that then a lot of features in the game wouldn't be supported. Almost all of the Universal Features introduced in the game so far requires you to have many DLC to get the most of it.

Now there are limits. For example, Cats and Dogs. If EA/Maxis/The Sims Studio decided to add Pet accessories on Cats and Dogs on the Seasons EP, And Get Famous EP, would people complain and have a huge backlash? If they added a new Sweater, Jacket, or even Rich high end accesories would people hate Seasons and Get Famous EP? I think no. Especially since they are doing what they are doing to other features they introduced, the same thing as they do with retail, clubs, calendar, etc.

The problem lies in not with the DLC for DLC imo but with the pack itself(MFPS). Why? Because simply the majority of assets feels that it came from Cats and Dogs, and the pack itself is full of recycled content, and they did it in a STUFF pack. That is why it recieved a huge backlash, and since its a stuff pack it means they have smaller budget which means they are much more limited than what they can do and create. They decided that they will spent Many of their time on Cats and Dogs Furnitures than can be only used by those cats and Dogs, and will be acted as Decoration if you don't own them. That is another contributing factor. Giving you an unusable object unless you own a DLC. That is why it recieved a huge backlash. The last point is I think the main reason why people started to think that DLC for DLC is bad, yeah the last point was actually bad, but just expanding the content isn't. As long as they will not introduce a feature that is unuasable unless you have another DLC.

Personally if Maxis never created that pack, added New Outfits to Pets on Seasons, and NEVER created objects that will function only unless you have a specific DLC, then it will be the same as the other universal features.

• Options
    harvestmeadowharvestmeadow Posts: 18 Member
    Depends on the contents.
    I know that some people can't afford the expansions and that kinda sucks. I think some things should be included but not everything. The players are a loyal fan base and EA should offer some rewards for simply continuing to buy what they can.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Honnestly I don't want a second MFP mess, so I don't know.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Marycool33Marycool33 Posts: 151 Member
    Absolutely not.
    the question is very poorly worded. should've either asked "are you against pack requirements for new dlc" or "are you for pack requirements for new dlc". including both makes us unsure about which of the questions we're answering...

regardless, i'm assuming the "absolutely not" is meant for those who disagree so that's my vote. we really don't need to be buying DLC for DLC. just give the content to us with a free patch, add some extra stuff in future DLC (although this option is a bit crappy too) or make complete packs in the first place. it is ridiculous no matter what and EA doesn't need to be doing this. the sims community has got to stop eating up whatever they do..
  • Options
    EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    Depends on the contents.
    Marycool33 wrote: »
    the question is very poorly worded. should've either asked "are you against pack requirements for new dlc" or "are you for pack requirements for new dlc". including both makes us unsure about which of the questions we're answering...

I'm sorry it was so hard for you to understand.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • Options
    ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    Yes, why not.
    alyssa123 wrote: »

How is it a scam?
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Depends on the contents.
    Depends. I certainly wouldn't mind more Seasons items or gameplay features, but to be honest, I can't really see why they couldn't add things that just have more functions with a pack than without (but would still work). Definitely not just recolors from an EP though... like my first pet (which I would have bought in a heartbeat if they had replaced those with a bird or something).
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Absolutely not.
    No. It feels to sketchy, especially considering how much the game is still lacking and how much the base initially did lack that was patched in. Making people get DLC for other DLC just rubs salt into the wound. They should focus on other stuff, things that we really still need/should have by now, before trying something like this. And then they still shouldn't do it, because it feels truly grimy to me to make people buy something they didn't want in order for something else to work that they DO want. It's such an uneven transaction. Like maybe if you want both DLCs you win and it's a bargain pack or something, but if you don't want it? Then you just pay more than you should, because half the content you're getting you don't even want.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2018
    Yes, why not.
    Marycool33 wrote: »

regardless, i'm assuming the "absolutely not" is meant for those who disagree so that's my vote. we really don't need to be buying DLC for DLC. just give the content to us with a free patch, add some extra stuff in future DLC (although this option is a bit plum too) or make complete packs in the first place. it is ridiculous no matter what and EA doesn't need to be doing this. the sims community has got to stop eating up whatever they do..

The free stuff is made by a different team - just like the sps are made by a different team, as is the gps and eps. It is up to the teams what you get from them - not up to us or EA or Maxis. If a team makes us something we request like the gp and ep teams are known to do that is one thing but thus far the free team seems to make mostly the kind of things they think of - like the Caribbean stuff, the new career - the only thing I know of they made that was highly asked for and asked for since the game came out was terrain adjusting and more level, and different levels for building on a lot - that took 4 years for something we requested. So just because we want something free do you want to wait 4 years for those things on your list.
    ETA
    Also to those still slamming the MFP - The fact Graham and his team wanted to give us small pets right away and was more than willing to have his team make them according to the rules he has on delivering sps regardless of how many say they held back content from the ep - a different team altogether just because he - Graham matched the furniture and style which in my mind was smart to do as I like the fact it matches and use it all a lot for my sims kids, and then when he had to okay to deliver requested Cats and dog clothing too - he gets slammed - all because of what player think and not by any knowledge of that being fact. I think it was unfair as he was delivering what people asked for - and then made to look like the bad guy and it really looks like all the fuss has lost us the most affordable and decent pack of all. As one who has all the sps and enjoys them all - it makes me mad we are not now getting them. I enjoy 4 packs for the price of 1 ep a year and almost always used all the content in my game. I liked all the extra clothing and furniture and a few hairstyles and at 10 bucks a pack even on my worse weeks was affordable and now I am not a happy camper that I am not getting any - funny after all the uproar.

I just know somethings are not always what they looked like - as I was delighted by the pack and actually getting matching content- the little kids desk is adorable with the cats and dogs bed room stuff as is many of the other matching things - and saw hope of getting maybe more like it covering birds and other small pets with lots more maybe matching stuff. Graham was listening and responded quickly and gets slammed. I think that was unfair especially how he has always gone out of his way to answer requests when he can, and make content people want. He is the one who got behind us getting a community made pack - That is the kind of Guru Graham has always been. I just don't get it why of all Guru's he get slammed and his pet project for us gets called names or made to look to be a part of the "evil empire".

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Absolutely not.
    That's really well said, and some very valid points, @Writen_Reg.

MFPS was the only game pack I didn't buy (mainly because pet clothes didn't interest me ...at all...so I boycotted the whole pack). Origin is running a 30% off special on pretty much everything right now and your impassioned words combined with the 30% off prompted me to go buy it. \o/
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Yes, why not.
    I meant to vote the “absolutely not’ option. I don’t like dlc for dlc.
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    TWSimGamer82TWSimGamer82 Posts: 456 Member
    Absolutely not.
    DLC for DLC is just terrible. It's expensive enough to gamer these days. As much as I hate getting half a game to begin with, now devs want to only give me half the DLC too?
    Sim: "I'm starving!"
    Player: *instructs sim to prepare meal* "Then eat something, you little goofball!"
    Sim: *starts cooking meal*
    -5 seconds later-
    Sim: *Stops cooking meal* "I'm so hungry!"
    Player: *head hits desk*
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    I know this isn't exactly the same thing as what you're talking about. After I discovered Paystuff card..in order for me to get GamePacks I had to wait for bundles on (site) because (site) only had them in bundles and not as individual stuff. I'm glad mom got me Laundry Day since we haven't had a stuff pack since January when Laundry Day came out. and Jungle Adventure came out in February. So simmers who use (site) are still waiting for another stuff pack and Game pack so they can get LD stuff (JA's bundle came with the Fitness pack and Toddler Stuff)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Depends on the contents.
    Depends.

It needs to:

1. Not be released right after the EP/GP/SP it is dependent on. It can't be a cash grab. So it needs to be something that was thought of later on or needed a year or more to get to be at the right state.
    2. Be less than the cost of it's dependent pack.
    3. Not introduce a new world
    4. If it will cost people money, it needs to have the equivalent amount of new stuff as similarly priced items. So if it's a GP priced pack it needs to have GP level of new content. Recolors and slight mesh alterations are not new content.
    5. If it's free, it can be a pack of recolors and slight mesh alterations. I'd welcome that for any pack. Even if it came out a week later. Recolors aren't hard to do.