Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    We have to wonder don't we, if game changers ever said or improved the games before release. If it's true they get to enable early collaborative feedback for improvements, then I'm not seeing it. What I see is a lot of hype and ooohs, and aws, after the fact. Because it's obvivous, six residential lots were not improved...or maybe it was from two to six? Will never know, unless some game changer tells what input they gave and how Maxis listened and improved something.

I can't believe all those game changers who are veteran Simmers actually enjoy check lists, but it seems we get more and more of them, so maybe they do, or maybe they don't get to tell Maxis that's not sandbox or interesting. But it really is hard for me to believe experienced players as Maxis called them expert players?(what are we?) love check lists, I highly doubt it.

ETA: I will clarify that, It's my belief their core base is still playing TS2 or TS3, and highly doubt many of them play TS4. Maybe sometime, but doubt those expert players of their original core base would touch TS4.

Is a "game changer" like an "influencer"? Doubt either would be impartial or unbiased toward the people paying them.

I was wondering the same thing. Someone asked what the difference is before and based on a then gurus response here and here it seems they're the same.

I would love to know what the game changers managed to get improved in addition to other things but I know they probably can't speak on stuff like that due to NDAs or the belief that it might incite negativity in the community. I think it was a forum for some other EA game or something else for The Sims when one game changer commented basically saying that just because they give feedback doesn't mean it affects the final decision. I'm not saying they should do what all the game changers desire but I can't tell what the game changers feedback has impacted either and I'm genuinely curious.

I would hope they're gaining some valuable feedback from the game changers, especially the ones who work to provide what there's a demand for in game. However, I feel like no matter what happens these next few years are bound to feel limited in some form.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    We have to wonder don't we, if game changers ever said or improved the games before release. If it's true they get to enable early collaborative feedback for improvements, then I'm not seeing it. What I see is a lot of hype and ooohs, and aws, after the fact. Because it's obvivous, six residential lots were not improved...or maybe it was from two to six? Will never know, unless some game changer tells what input they gave and how Maxis listened and improved something.

I can't believe all those game changers who are veteran Simmers actually enjoy check lists, but it seems we get more and more of them, so maybe they do, or maybe they don't get to tell Maxis that's not sandbox or interesting. But it really is hard for me to believe experienced players as Maxis called them expert players?(what are we?) love check lists, I highly doubt it.

ETA: I will clarify that, It's my belief their core base is still playing TS2 or TS3, and highly doubt many of them play TS4. Maybe sometime, but doubt those expert players of their original core base would touch TS4.

Is a "game changer" like an "influencer"? Doubt either would be impartial or unbiased toward the people paying them.

I was wondering the same thing. Someone asked what the difference is before and based on a then gurus response here and here it seems they're the same.

I would love to know what the game changers managed to get improved in addition to other things but I know they probably can't speak on stuff like that due to NDAs or the belief that it might incite negativity in the community. I think it was a forum for some other EA game or something else for The Sims when one game changer commented basically saying that just because they give feedback doesn't mean it affects the final decision. I'm not saying they should do what all the game changers desire but I can't tell what the game changers feedback has impacted either and I'm genuinely curious.

I would hope they're gaining some valuable feedback from the game changers, especially the ones who work to provide what there's a demand for in game. However, I feel like no matter what happens these next few years are bound to feel limited in some form.

Well, when one famous site decided to say things more truthfully or let's say in a more negative way, they got dropped so what does that tell us? I can't say anymore than that but we all know which site got dropped.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,360 Member
    edited December 2018

Well the results of a poll I ran on the forum a year ago seem to indicate just the opposite. The majority of the simmers who enjoy the Sims 4 here on the forum, which traditionally caters to veteran simmers, began playing with the original Sims game. And the next largest majority started with the Sims 2. Surprisingly, those starting with the Sims 4 comprised the smallest percentage. I ran that poll because like your statement there had been comments that only players new to the game and didn't know what they were missing could possibly enjoy the Sims 4. Of course this was a year ago so maybe another poll is in order. :)

PIrbbKu.png
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/931295/for-those-currently-playing-and-enjoying-sims-4/p1

ETA: You may be right in your belief that the core base is still playing 2 and 3 though because i still do. Along with 4.

• Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,653 Member

Well the results of a poll I ran on the forum a year ago seem to indicate just the opposite. The majority of the simmers who enjoy the Sims 4 here on the forum, which traditionally caters to veteran simmers, began playing with the original Sims game. And the next largest majority started with the Sims 2. Surprisingly, those starting with the Sims 4 comprised the smallest percentage. I ran that poll because like your statement there had been comments that only players new to the game and didn't know what they were missing could possibly enjoy the Sims 4. Of course this was a year ago so maybe another poll is in order. :)

PIrbbKu.png
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/931295/for-those-currently-playing-and-enjoying-sims-4/p1

ETA: You may be right in your belief that the core base is still playing 2 and 3 though because i still do. Along with 4.

Thanks for sharing those results.

A lot has happened in the last year and most of it not good quality wise in my opinion. So I agree that another poll might be in order. A poll which showed when simmers started playing who do not like TS4 would also be interesting to see.

Regardless, we're still not going to see TS5, if at all, for about 3 years or more. :'(
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    @simgirl1010 while your poll results are interesting, I think it's important to note that the demographic of the forum could be very different from the wider demographic of the larger Sims community. It could be that people who began playing with Sims 1 are more likely to be on the forums, since they've obviously been invested for a long time.

However, I agree that many people playing 4 likely play the previous games still as well. Sims 4 is a franchise built on a masterful legacy of loyal players, not pushing the boundaries and drawing in new players (in my opinion).

And if/when 5 comes, it'd be similar. Many people investing in 5 would have played the other 4, which is why I think the next few years are necessary to the game. As we've seen from this thread (which again, doesn't necessarily reflect the larger group of Sims players off the forums), some people will not buy 5 if things do not improve in 4.
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited December 2018
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    @simgirl1010 while your poll results are interesting, I think it's important to note that the demographic of the forum could be very different from the wider demographic of the larger Sims community. It could be that people who began playing with Sims 1 are more likely to be on the forums, since they've obviously been invested for a long time.

However, I agree that many people playing 4 likely play the previous games still as well. Sims 4 is a franchise built on a masterful legacy of loyal players, not pushing the boundaries and drawing in new players (in my opinion).

And if/when 5 comes, it'd be similar. Many people investing in 5 would have played the other 4, which is why I think the next few years are necessary to the game. As we've seen from this thread (which again, doesn't necessarily reflect the larger group of Sims players off the forums), some people will not buy 5 if things do not improve in 4.
    This is true and a good point. Stats are hard to use specially because we have no way of really measuring total players. For example, we can go in the gallery and measure total *concurrent* players for TS4 at any time and could be as little as 20k and as much as 90k. For The Sims 3 well, we can only track through Steam which can cycle through 2k-10k. But then, how many players use Origin offline mode? Or bypass the launcher?

So all we can go by is what they release. And so far, what they've been hinting or saying is that they are doing great and playerbase is rising. Do I personally believe that? Yes, merely due to progression which is expected for franchises.

At this point I'm intrigued as to what they can pull off in The Sims 5 if it ever happens. It's been so long that I'd loathe to see another rehash of everything we have. I know it's a lucrative business model but come on, I think it's due time to see some changes. Not another bare base game, then yelling for seasons, then pets, then university, then restaurants, etc. It leaves so little room to improve or create new things. If EA had competition in this genre, perhaps things would be different. And I'm not at all saying I'm dissatisfied with TS4, I believe it has its flaws like every other iteration (some bother me more than before like worlds) but I'm just afraid of seeing TS5 being the same cycle we've seen for so many years.
  • Options
    New players may be downloading TS4, that doesn't mean it's veteran players. I think I will stand by my comments, I think many of us returned to TS2 and TS3 if we tried TS4 at all. And I think there are probably more hours logged into those games if we returned to them. I think a lot of people were like me, I played TS4, bought a lot of stuff, but over time, became bored and frustrated and returned to older games. Like to see what might be added later, but not really interested in waiting seven years to see any of it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options

PIrbbKu.png

A lot has happened in the last year and most of it not good quality wise in my opinion. So I agree that another poll might be in order. A poll which showed when simmers started playing who do not like TS4 would also be interesting to see.

Regardless, we're still not going to see TS5, if at all, for about 3 years or more. :'(

How many do you think played TS3 and still playing...thousands and thousands and your poll only shows 83, I would bet there are more than that down in the TS3 section right now.
  • Options

PIrbbKu.png

How many do you think played TS3 and still playing...thousands and thousands and your poll only shows 83, I would bet there are more than that down in the TS3 section right now.

The thing about statistics is you can usually pick a stat that will support whatever point you are trying to make.
  • Options

PIrbbKu.png

The poll shows 83 respondents who enjoyed Sims 4 at the time of the poll started with Sims 3. Has nothing to do with the number of simmers playing Sims 3. Heck, I still play 3. And 2. :) I don't think we're ever going to get a game that gives us everything we want in one version.
  • Options

PIrbbKu.png

The poll shows 83 respondents who enjoyed Sims 4 at the time of the poll started with Sims 3. Has nothing to do with the number of simmers playing Sims 3. Heck, I still play 3. And 2. :) I don't think we're ever going to get a game that gives us everything we want in one version.

Yes, you are right about that, we will never see a game version that gives us everythig we want. But let's just admit right now, TS2 and TS3 came pretty close. Not so much for TS4.
  • Options

PIrbbKu.png

Yes, you are right about that, we will never see a game version that gives us everythig we want. But let's just admit right now, TS2 and TS3 came pretty close. Not so much for TS4.

Objection. The witness is stating an opinion.
  • Options

PIrbbKu.png

Is it your honor? lol (All in good fun). I don't know, we wanted more open areas (TS3) we wanted ability to move vacant lots (TS2/TS3) we wanted more consequences (TS2/TS3) we wanted supernaturals (TS2/TS3) we wanted more build tools (TS2/TS3) etc. etc. As I said not so much in TS4.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

PIrbbKu.png

Respectfully disagree. The Sims 2 did give us a closer game to what we wanted, when coming from TS1. TS3 which at this point in time remains my favorite but I'm open for that to change after what, 7 years of playing it? It did many great things, but many, many awful, shallow, broken things. I could do a whole summary yet it would not matter because it is just an opinion. And despite TS3 being my favorite atm, I'll be objective and say it was far from perfect and arguably a decent game at best and I'm not talking about performance, but content depth and gameplay. We wanted more open areas yes, we didn't want rabbit holes for even restaurants and spas (and crappy replacements like TS3 store's bistro or savvy seller that IMO were the biggest pile of trash I've seen in a while). Oh well, color for tastes.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member

PIrbbKu.png

Is it your honor? lol (All in good fun). I don't know, we wanted more open areas (TS3) we wanted ability to move vacant lots (TS2/TS3) we wanted more consequences (TS2/TS3) we wanted supernaturals (TS2/TS3) we wanted more build tools (TS2/TS3) etc. etc. As I said not so much in TS4.

What did we ask for before Sims 4 was released? I don't even remember but I do know everything they took out upset the heck out of me and I never asked for less, less of this and less of that. Or what they call multi-tasking.

• Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I would gladly wait for a good quality Sims 5 game. I would've gladly waited for a good quality Sims 4 game too. The game launched with basics missing from the base game and I've noticed that launching with things missing and just adding it later is becoming (or already is, I wouldn't consider myself a big gamer who's in the loop on every major game) the new thing. It's easy too because they seem to expect all gamers to be online whether you're PC or console so they just shoot you an update to add the stuff that should've been in your game at purchase. No big deal. It's probably why I don't branch out much and play many games. My N64 is in front of me right now with a complete game in it and I can fire it up at any time and know I'm getting the full, complete experience. What happened to that?

I never pre-order, if I buy I buy physical copies and I expect what I'm buying to be complete and as bug free as possible, and I hate playing online multiplayer so even if I could be connected even part of the time I would never play connected online. When I purchase a game I expect to have the complete game. The Sims games are actually the only games I purchase that have patches and packs which I understand due to how massive it is but at some point it begins to feel like you're not getting the quality you deserve as a paying customer.

There are times when we actually have discussions about if we can have A and B because some of us are afraid that if they focus on two or more things at once our preferred feature won't be as good. There are times where some of us think certain features won't be good because of how we're used to things being done for this series and not how those features are done in general. Sadly, some of us would even prefer they not do certain features because we feel or know it's going to suck because we just don't have that much faith in EA. Some of us just accept or tolerate that we're going to need mods or player found work arounds to fix or avoid problem with the game(s) and feel lucky if there's even an attempt by them to fix a problem. That's sad.

They need competition or a serious wakeup call. EA has a devoted fanbase in simmers but instead of nurturing a quality game that'll have us all falling over ourselves and counting pennies to buy because it's a good or amazing sandbox game, we get blatant money grabs and piecemealed and/or broken content and because collectively we're so devoted and love the series as a whole it has a tendency to work with half or most simmers. Not to say some players don't actually like or love whichever game but they can get away with a lot with a significant number of us and they know it.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    I would gladly wait for a good quality Sims 5 game. I would've gladly waited for a good quality Sims 4 game too. The game launched with basics missing from the base game and I've noticed that launching with things missing and just adding it later is becoming (or already is, I wouldn't consider myself a big gamer who's in the loop on every major game) the new thing. It's easy too because they seem to expect all gamers to be online whether you're PC or console so they just shoot you an update to add the stuff that should've been in your game at purchase. No big deal. It's probably why I don't branch out much and play many games. My N64 is in front of me right now with a complete game in it and I can fire it up at any time and know I'm getting the full, complete experience. What happened to that?

I never pre-order, if I buy I buy physical copies and I expect what I'm buying to be complete and as bug free as possible, and I hate playing online multiplayer so even if I could be connected even part of the time I would never play connected online. When I purchase a game I expect to have the complete game. The Sims games are actually the only games I purchase that have patches and packs which I understand due to how massive it is but at some point it begins to feel like you're not getting the quality you deserve as a paying customer.

There are times when we actually have discussions about if we can have A and B because some of us are afraid that if they focus on two or more things at once our preferred feature won't be as good. There are times where some of us think certain features won't be good because of how we're used to things being done for this series and not how those features are done in general. Sadly, some of us would even prefer they not do certain features because we feel or know it's going to suck because we just don't have that much faith in EA. Some of us just accept or tolerate that we're going to need mods or player found work arounds to fix or avoid problem with the game(s) and feel lucky if there's even an attempt by them to fix a problem. That's sad.

They need competition or a serious wakeup call. EA has a devoted fanbase in simmers but instead of nurturing a quality game that'll have us all falling over ourselves and counting pennies to buy because it's a good or amazing sandbox game, we get blatant money grabs and piecemealed and/or broken content and because collectively we're so devoted and love the series as a whole it has a tendency to work with half or most simmers. Not to say some players don't actually like or love whichever game but they can get away with a lot with a significant number of us and they know it.

I agree absolutely. It is to me, like a mobile app.

I only have the base game but a friend has it and all the add-ons and packs and I have tried it, thinking maybe I would like it "now" and move on from Sims 3 but nope. Still missing the basics.

• Options
    idkemilyidkemily Posts: 49 Member
    If they create the sims 5, think of how much longer you're going to have to wait to get the stuff you want. I agree, they need to pick up the pace, but I'm happy with the direction TS4 is going. Why create a new base game when you can just add on to the current game? There's still much to be added.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    idkemily wrote: »
    If they create the sims 5, think of how much longer you're going to have to wait to get the stuff you want. I agree, they need to pick up the pace, but I'm happy with the direction TS4 is going. Why create a new base game when you can just add on to the current game? There's still much to be added.

I'm glad you are happy with TS4. For me, I haven't liked TS4 from the very beginning. I tolerate it and still do play it, but I am craving something different and better which I hope TS5 will bring.

So for me, content can be added, but it's still the same base game that I really don't care for. That's why I'm ready to move on to something that is different and, hopefully, better.

A lot of simmers have said that they like TS4. I'm happy for those simmers who say they like TS4. It's just not for me. Which is okay. I have stopped buying the sub-standard stuff they are selling and will wait until the next iteration comes along. If it doesn't tickle my fancy, then I'll just have to sadly say goodbye to this franchise.
  • Options

I'm glad you are happy with TS4. For me, I haven't liked TS4 from the very beginning. I tolerate it and still do play it, but I am craving something different and better which I hope TS5 will bring.

So for me, content can be added, but it's still the same base game that I really don't care for. That's why I'm ready to move on to something that is different and, hopefully, better.

A lot of simmers have said that they like TS4. I'm happy for those simmers who say they like TS4. It's just not for me. Which is okay. I have stopped buying the sub-standard stuff they are selling and will wait until the next iteration comes along. If it doesn't tickle my fancy, then I'll just have to sadly say goodbye to this franchise.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if they decide to make TS5, the 5th iteration in this old franchise just to be the same base game we've seen before with the same EPs (with a little difference here and there) we've seen before, I'll be very disappointed. You are correct, it's the same base game, and the base game itself is what needs to change for a future iteration to have any impact.
  • Options
    Archieonic wrote: »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if they decide to make TS5, the 5th iteration in this old franchise just to be the same base game we've seen before with the same EPs (with a little difference here and there) we've seen before, I'll be very disappointed. You are correct, it's the same base game, and the base game itself is what needs to change for a future iteration to have any impact.

I completely agree. It will be quite a challenge for Maxis to come up with a new, high quality base, but I have confidence that Maxis is up for the challenge. My fear is that EA will handcuff Maxis with time and budget constraints.

I'm still looking forward to seeing what comes next. If only to satisfy my curiosity, as I have to admit I'm not confident that EA will give Maxis the support they will need in developing a quality product.
  • Options

I completely agree. It will be quite a challenge for Maxis to come up with a new, high quality base, but I have confidence that Maxis is up for the challenge. My fear is that EA will handcuff Maxis with time and budget constraints.

I'm still looking forward to seeing what comes next. If only to satisfy my curiosity, as I have to admit I'm not confident that EA will give Maxis the support they will need in developing a quality product.

EA is hindering them no matter how much they deny it. Look at TS3 and the state it was left at, where a single modder was able to fix a lot of things by himself. If a single modder can, it is absurd to think a studio of professionals cannot. Same with TS4 and how it was rushed amd made off the scraps of project Olympus. They need more employees and time and funding. I've come to enjoy TS4 a lot and appreciate the struggle of seeing developers hindered by a clueless money hungry publisher, but much like with every iteration the fact that I enjoy them does not make me blind to the myriad of issues they have, which IMO started going downhill with TS3. I mean look at TS3 store, didn't someone calculate the total it would cost to buy everything off it at raw price and came out at like $70,000+? That is baffling. Just with SPs alone that'd be roughly the equivalent of 7000 TS4 SPs.

I believe Maxis can, but EA makes me question any future the franchise might have.
  • Options
    LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    Same with TS4 and how it was rushed amd made off the scraps of project Olympus. They need more employees and time and funding. I

It's crazy, really.

EA is one of the wealthiest companies in the gaming industry, and yet they still seem to be cheap with the funding for the game.

It's obvious that EA only wants their margins to grow. As long as fans keep buying these products at the quality and price point that EA is pushing, nothing will change. Unless there is a change in leadership. I believe that one of the head guys on TS3 was fired during/after it. The problem is that TS3 actually felt like a complete game, and TS4 does not ... this is coming from someone who actually prefers TS4 over TS3.

As a long time Simmer who has been here since the genesis of The Sims, I have stopped buying the games. I haven't bought anything since Vampires. I like the gamepacks that TS4 puts out, but that's about it. I don't want to put up with the lazy coding, AI, design, etc. I just want to play a game that provides me with satisfaction. For a while now, it has been Guildwars 2 and Overwatch. I'm eagerly anticipating the remastered edition of Warcraft 3 as well. All of those games are online games. When I am craving that offline alone time, I usually play Final Fantasy 8 or 9. Funny, I just replay old games because they are so entertaining and because a lot of the games out today are multiplayer.

I enjoy a game that has both, actually. I enjoy videogames that have a good offline campaign as well as a fun, immersive online mode. EA needs to step up their game - pun intended. I hope that sales tank more than they already are. I have a sinking suspicion that TS4 is not performing as well as it should. And I kind of want that. I want things to get bad so that EA wants to make it better to save their dollar. Out of that flawed sense of logic, perhaps they will be persuaded to give the fans what they want.

Don't keep buying half-baked products. Find another game to invest your time in. There are other games out there that are way more rewarding than TS4. If you are craving The Sims style of play but dislike TS4 ... well, maybe revisiting older iterations would help.

Don't keep buying Sims products from EA merely because they are Sims products. EA didn't deliver. The most frustrating part of this whole iteration is the whole PR tone that they always have. EA isn't a company that is going to be genuine with their customers. So why bother anymore?
    Origin ID: Derpiez
  • Options
    MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    I was hoping for maybe one more year of content because as others have said, TS4 will feel incomplete. Five years seems like a nice number. Also, I don't want them to rush out TS5 just to please us Simmers. There is already criticism from some about how in many ways,Sims4 isn't as good as Sims3 or Sims2 and so on along with all the game lags, bugs, or ongoing issues with the game. I want TS5 to knock our socks off and not be underwhelming which I think it will be the case if they release it too soon. Additionally, they have to make sure everybody's PC can handle a (hopefully) new and advanced game.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    @Sigzy05 - MCCC adds a story progression option.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top