Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I would gladly wait for a good quality Sims 5 game. I would've gladly waited for a good quality Sims 4 game too. The game launched with basics missing from the base game and I've noticed that launching with things missing and just adding it later is becoming (or already is, I wouldn't consider myself a big gamer who's in the loop on every major game) the new thing. It's easy too because they seem to expect all gamers to be online whether you're PC or console so they just shoot you an update to add the stuff that should've been in your game at purchase. No big deal. It's probably why I don't branch out much and play many games. My N64 is in front of me right now with a complete game in it and I can fire it up at any time and know I'm getting the full, complete experience. What happened to that?

I never pre-order, if I buy I buy physical copies and I expect what I'm buying to be complete and as bug free as possible, and I hate playing online multiplayer so even if I could be connected even part of the time I would never play connected online. When I purchase a game I expect to have the complete game. The Sims games are actually the only games I purchase that have patches and packs which I understand due to how massive it is but at some point it begins to feel like you're not getting the quality you deserve as a paying customer.

There are times when we actually have discussions about if we can have A and B because some of us are afraid that if they focus on two or more things at once our preferred feature won't be as good. There are times where some of us think certain features won't be good because of how we're used to things being done for this series and not how those features are done in general. Sadly, some of us would even prefer they not do certain features because we feel or know it's going to suck because we just don't have that much faith in EA. Some of us just accept or tolerate that we're going to need mods or player found work arounds to fix or avoid problem with the game(s) and feel lucky if there's even an attempt by them to fix a problem. That's sad.

They need competition or a serious wakeup call. EA has a devoted fanbase in simmers but instead of nurturing a quality game that'll have us all falling over ourselves and counting pennies to buy because it's a good or amazing sandbox game, we get blatant money grabs and piecemealed and/or broken content and because collectively we're so devoted and love the series as a whole it has a tendency to work with half or most simmers. Not to say some players don't actually like or love whichever game but they can get away with a lot with a significant number of us and they know it.
    Luke wrote: »
    Archieonic wrote: »
    Same with TS4 and how it was rushed amd made off the scraps of project Olympus. They need more employees and time and funding. I

It's crazy, really.

EA is one of the wealthiest companies in the gaming industry, and yet they still seem to be cheap with the funding for the game.

It's obvious that EA only wants their margins to grow. As long as fans keep buying these products at the quality and price point that EA is pushing, nothing will change. Unless there is a change in leadership. I believe that one of the head guys on TS3 was fired during/after it. The problem is that TS3 actually felt like a complete game, and TS4 does not ... this is coming from someone who actually prefers TS4 over TS3.

As a long time Simmer who has been here since the genesis of The Sims, I have stopped buying the games. I haven't bought anything since Vampires. I like the gamepacks that TS4 puts out, but that's about it. I don't want to put up with the lazy coding, AI, design, etc. I just want to play a game that provides me with satisfaction. For a while now, it has been Guildwars 2 and Overwatch. I'm eagerly anticipating the remastered edition of Warcraft 3 as well. All of those games are online games. When I am craving that offline alone time, I usually play Final Fantasy 8 or 9. Funny, I just replay old games because they are so entertaining and because a lot of the games out today are multiplayer.

I enjoy a game that has both, actually. I enjoy videogames that have a good offline campaign as well as a fun, immersive online mode. EA needs to step up their game - pun intended. I hope that sales tank more than they already are. I have a sinking suspicion that TS4 is not performing as well as it should. And I kind of want that. I want things to get bad so that EA wants to make it better to save their dollar. Out of that flawed sense of logic, perhaps they will be persuaded to give the fans what they want.

Don't keep buying half-baked products. Find another game to invest your time in. There are other games out there that are way more rewarding than TS4. If you are craving The Sims style of play but dislike TS4 ... well, maybe revisiting older iterations would help.

Don't keep buying Sims products from EA merely because they are Sims products. EA didn't deliver. The most frustrating part of this whole iteration is the whole PR tone that they always have. EA isn't a company that is going to be genuine with their customers. So why bother anymore?

These two comments sum it up for me. Just take your time EA! I too would wait longer for a game if it meant I was getting a good quality game and well thought out features as a result. I expect a game to be finished when I buy it unless specifically told otherwise. Like an early access game. That's kinda what the sims 4 feels like to me from the base game to every time they release a new pack. Also I'm not a fan of EA trying to turn the sims in to an online game.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2018
    Tiarella wrote: »
    @Sigzy05 - MCCC adds a story progression option.

This is going to be my face when they announce that TS5 BG has an open world, color wheel, layered clothing, sims with actual personalities, all 7 lifestages, scary ghosts and service NPC's, having to shop for clothes and food ingredients, all active careers, dynamic weather or at least rain, and good enough detailed graphics.

ohDdEld.jpg

mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Tiarella wrote: »
    @Sigzy05 - MCCC adds a story progression option.

This is going to be my face when they announce that TS5 BG has an open world, color wheel, layered clothing, sims with actual personalities, all 7 lifestages, scary ghosts and service NPC's, having to shop for clothes and food ingredients, all active careers, dynamic weather or at least rain, and good enough detailed graphics.

ohDdEld.jpg

By the time that happens I'll probably have turned into Bonehilda's husband.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Honestly? I don't care about Sims 5. I won't be buying it, or all it's DLC. Sims 4 is the last go round of this franchise for me.

Sims 2 will always be the pinnacle I hold this series to. Sims 3 failed at it miserably. Sims 4 strives, but is missing the mark.

I hope they keep trying though. Sims 4 needs a lot more content. It needs more depth. I hope they are working on the Sims themselves as hard as they work on the worlds to look beautiful and " busy".
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    I only play with one mod for the first time in my history of playing the sims franchise. My mod isn't to make my game like previous iterations of the sims. Just makes it more enjoyable for my personal gameplay.

Like I have said before, polls and stats can be used to support a lot of various opinions about a particular topic. That is why I only speak for myself and leave it up to others to either agree or disagree.

And as for myself, they can't move on from TS4 fast enough for me. ;) Having said that though, I do want them to do a thorough and quality job with the base game of TS5 before releasing it. Not very optimistic that Santa will grant that Christmas wish for me though. :'(
    edited December 2018
    I only play with one mod for the first time in my history of playing the sims franchise. My mod isn't to make my game like previous iterations of the sims. Just makes it more enjoyable for my personal gameplay.

Like I have said before, polls and stats can be used to support a lot of various opinions about a particular topic. That is why I only speak for myself and leave it up to others to either agree or disagree.

And as for myself, they can't move on from TS4 fast enough for me. ;) Having said that though, I do want them to do a thorough and quality job with the base game of TS5 before releasing it. Not very optimistic that Santa will grant that Christmas wish for me though. :'(

In part that's why I'm not bothered if they take another 3 years with TS4, if only to make TS5 base unique and worthwhile. So far every new "revolutionary" addition has been broken. TS3 open worlds had a myriad of issues such as routing, texture streaming, emptiness, etc. TS4 emotions are too superficial and cycle too fast, multitasking makes it so that Sims take forever to do things like eating. This pattern needs to change.

However from what they say, it seems they really want to just keep shelling out packs for this, with Cats and Dogs being a top selling EP and whatnot. It's fine, I want every iteration to be complete to what they think is complete, I just hope a happy side effect is that TS5 base is solid.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    If I were to buy TS4 right now I know for a fact I'd have to use so many mods it wouldn't be worth it. I know some people want to play the newer game and hope it gets better for them or they already purchased it and are hoping it gets better but I know it won't for me. If I have to mod practically everything to be satisfied with a game it's better I just keep my money.

I was happy without mods or CC for the most part with TS2 and TS3 even more so. I don't think I learned about mods until mid way or towards the end of TS3 and I didn't start using mods until TS3 wrapped up to add more sims to my households. Because they stopped making things for it and went onto TS4 which I was skeptical about, I eventually started looking into the store, CC, and player created worlds. I actually get annoyed when I find CC I like because I don't need it, I just want it. :lol:

So at this point for me it's not even about what they add or don't add to The Sims 4. Realistically, I know that what I need to be happy with this game just won't happen. Three years won't change it. I just want to know they can and will fix their game. If they can show me that I'd have a little more hope for a TS5. They can't keep dropping the current game and moving onto the next and letting modders fix the problems they created. Do better testing and when things slip through fix it.

What would also improve my outlook is if I knew they weren't going to be pushing us online in every way they can get away with. I just want a single player, offline, no internet connection required at all if I purchase a physical copy, sandbox game. I don't mind multiplayer and/or online options being there as long as they're just that, options. I want to limit my dealings with Origin as much as possible as well. But I can tell none of that is on the route EA has in mind unless it affects their pockets personally which is probably the only thing keeping this game from being entirely online. They know that's where majority of fans draw the line so they push what they can online and through Origin. I already expect that to be one of the problems I'll have with The Sims 5 if I do deem it worthy enough to buy.

I feel like because they know we become uncooperative whenever they lead us directly to the water they want us to drink (The Sims online), instead they're taking us the scenic route, playing to things about online that some of us find likable or agreeable so that we'll be more prone to drink once we get back to the water.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    edited December 2018
    Hi folks, I've had to remove a large chunk of posts from the last week and a half. While they were discussing The Sims, the conversations popping up lead into some needless bickering, some jabs at folks who would like to see more Sims 4 content, determining what a "fact" is, and so on. This isn't okay! We ask that Simmers are respectful and civil towards each other on the forums so let's please keep that in mind moving forward in the discussion.
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
  • TwicelikeyTwicelikey Posts: 176 Member
    I truly don't understand why cant some people accept that there are people who in fact enjoy 4. If you like the other games, then fine. Play those games. But don't sit there and insult another person just because they enjoy something you dont. Like Cian said. We're all Simmers here, lets be respectful and civil towards each other.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    These are Facts. People Mod TS4 to remove the happy buffs so it works like TS2 and TS3. Fact, people mod the game to remove the buffs period, Fact, people mod the game to remove the culling. Fact, People Mod the game to increase poplulation limits. Fact, it makes it play as TS2 or TS3. If facts can't be stated then close the thread. Period.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    edited December 2018
    And what is the problem with those facts of yours?
    Fact, I want a lot of features from TS4 when I play TS3, parenting skill, a lot of parenting social interactions from Parenthood gp, interactive Xmas tree, so on. And I'm trying to make a mod to add these in TS3.
    Post edited by Sofmc9 on
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    These are Facts. People Mod TS4 to remove the happy buffs so it works like TS2 and TS3. Fact, people mod the game to remove the buffs period, Fact, people mod the game to remove the culling. Fact, People Mod the game to increase poplulation limits. Fact, it makes it play as TS2 or TS3. If facts can't be stated then close the thread. Period.

But even had there not been a Sims 2 or Sims 3 people would still use mods to remove unwanted features or add desired features. I don't think anyone is denying the use of mods for those reasons just that they're not pining from nostalgia for a return to a previous version. There are even mods that give you the slaps that were so popular in the first Sims game.

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I’ve missed the part where people were insulted (but I don’t read everything). The subject of this topic is clear: do we, the players, benefit when this game will last another three years, yes or no. Some say yes, others say no. That’s all there is to it. I fully accept there are people who say yes, I’d appreciate it if others in turn could accept my answer to the question is no. Without telling me I should go and play other games, I’ll decide that myself. I still love and play Sims 3 because it’s still an addictive game for me. That isn’t even a decision, the game keeps pulling me in. I also play Sims 4 because I enjoy it at times and I’m curious enough to keep trying (like Vampires atm). “Play those games”, “don’t sit there”, is that respectful?
    5JZ57S6.png

Fact, people have done such mods since TS2. Fact, people have made mods to make the game play how they want it. Fact, this is nothing new to the series.

That's pretty standard. However here is the difference: fact, people use those mods and many others since forever; not a fact, we know what that implies as far as the majority of simmers. I mean I've seen 🐸🐸🐸🐸 download numbers as well as for the animations hitting even 3 million, I don't necessarily state that the majority of simmers prefer such gameplay over WooHoo as many variables are not known to me.
    edited December 2018
    I’m sceptical about a Sims 5. Because I don’t trust the direction this franchise is heading and I have no reason to believe things will turn the way I’d like to see it any time soon. The signs are discouraging for a player like me.

In my view Sims 4 will never meet Sims 2’s and Sims 3’s standards (regardless which of those is your favourite), simply because the basegame lacks the same quality. It lacks Sims 2’s depth where it comes to personalities and detail and it lacks Sims 3’s depth where it comes to customization and freedom.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    No matter how much is said about quality, personalities, details, depth etc., I'm having just as much, if not more fun with the Sims 4 as I do with the previous games. And at the end of the day that's all that really matters. For me. And I'm looking forward to the next three years to add to that enjoyment.
    I read this entire thread. I can't say how some things were taken during what seemed to me as more heated moments but I don't recall seeing anyone insult someone for liking the game. Just because X persons acknowledge some people don't like something and Y persons acknowledge some people do like something doesn't mean one side is wrong and the other is right. Both can be telling the truth. I think everyone here can agree and accept that there are people who like TS4. Just like there are people who don't.

People use mods in general for a variety of reasons. To play similar to the past games, to improve features, to add something new to the gaming experience, etc. but depending on what it is you're modding the game for and how much you have to mod to be satisfied is 3 more years going to change anything? Sometimes I wonder if modders didn't exist and fix things how much would EA have fixed themselves. Which also make me wonder if the mods players currently use now to fix problems are the "offical" fixes?
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    I read this entire thread. I can't say how some things were taken during what seemed to me as more heated moments but I don't recall seeing anyone insult someone for liking the game. Just because X persons acknowledge some people don't like something and Y persons acknowledge some people do like something doesn't mean one side is wrong and the other is right. Both can be telling the truth. I think everyone here can agree and accept that there are people who like TS4. Just like there are people who don't.

People use mods in general for a variety of reasons. To play similar to the past games, to improve features, to add something new to the gaming experience, etc. but depending on what it is you're modding the game for and how much you have to mod to be satisfied is 3 more years going to change anything? Sometimes I wonder if modders didn't exist and fix things how much would EA have fixed themselves. Which also make me wonder if the mods players currently use now to fix problems are the "offical" fixes?

Only EA Cian can say specifically what was offensive. I believe it was when a simmer misunderstood what "veteran" player meant, but I could certainly be wrong. EA Cian stated that the posts were removed. I haven't looked to see what was deleted, but the main point is that we should be respectful of one another's opinions. It's okay to disagree, just don't be mean about it.

As far as mods go, it's really great that we have all those modders out there that provide us with mods to enrich our game for whatever reason. They spend a lot of time providing us with mods to make our gaming experience better. I certainly appreciate all the time and effort they spend doing it.

As for me, TS4 is just not my cup o' tea. I haven't liked it from the beginning. The way it's set up with it's limitation on sims and lots, and the constant bugs that I find extremely irritating every time we get a patch or new pack coming out. The constant waiting on load screens every time one of my sims travels is also very irritating. Having said all that, I do still play TS4 on occasion, but it hasn't been as often as my playtime with past iterations. I also don't play TS2 or TS3, but that's just me and mainly due to the extreme lag I experienced a long time ago when I decided to revisit TS3 to play with some sims I had a hankering to spend time with again.

I'm hoping TS5 will bring back my joy of playing the sims, but I sadly am not optimistic that EA will allow Maxis to bring me the quality game I desire. TS4 packs always feel rushed and incomplete to me. It's a trend that I personally don't see changing.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    For anyone wondering I looked around a bit and I believe posts were removed around the time opinions/facts/polls/veteran players came up. Most everything is gone after that. While I (and others) probably feel that we did our best to make sure we were respectful, sometimes things still come across poorly given the medium of the internet, so...yeah. I don't really have anything to say on it, just wanted to inform those that were wondering about what posts were removed.

Anyway, I think that 4 does still need a few years to really come into it's own, and it's getting there. Seasons and terrain editing were a big win. I enjoy playing 4, but I also understand why some people don't and have doubts, because there are things that bother me as well (mainly what was left out of the base game, but those things are getting patched in and we don't have to pay for them, so credit where credit is due).

There will always be favorite things from certain games. Sims 2 base game is the most sturdy to me, Sims 3 open worlds are my favorite, I like CAS in 4, storytelling in 2, CASt in 3, and the ease of building for my style in 4. And others have different favorites, and that's fine. What matters is that you have fun playing the game (whichever one it is) your way.

Some people, like me, think that we need the time for 4 to feel as complete as the others, and some people don't. And in this time if work is happening in 5, I hope it's going to be the best one yet. We never know what could be around the corner 😊
    I don't think anyone should have an issue with someone not liking an iteration they happen to enjoy. Color for tastes. I remember loving TS3 when it came out however a lot of simmers were saying how much of a stepdown it was from TS2, but hey, it turned out decent IMO. I certainly got a lot of years worth of enjoyment, but I'll give half the credit to the modding community for that.

I'm very objective when it comes to this franchise. I can say for example that I'm loving TS4 and at the same time harshly criticize things like how the world is exactly like it was in TS1, a game from 2000.
    That's tough. At least I could not think of how I would have played TS3 without NRaas. Not only referring to Errortrap and Overwatch which kept my save healthy for years, but Traveler and SP as well. I don't think they would have done much different, sadly. Even in TS4 some bugs have been present since the first years, I don't think it takes 2+ years to find and fix a bug, when a single modder is capable of doing something of the magnitude Twallan did.

Most mods I use are gameplay additions like Get To School or MCCC for tailoring even more ala NRaas Sp/MC. I could live without them but man, I'm a sucker for mods, always have been since TS1.
  • TwicelikeyTwicelikey Posts: 176 Member

Fact: People have been modding sims games to their liking since TS2. This isn't something new and it will happen with TS5 whenever it releases.
    I don’t really understand what’s happening here. There was a conversation about mods and facts and that entire conversation has been removed because it wasn’t respectful (?) and now people are trying to have that exact same conversation about mods and facts all over again?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I don’t really understand what’s happening here. There was a conversation about mods and facts and that entire conversation has been removed because it wasn’t respectful (?) and now people are trying to have that exact same conversation about mods and facts all over again?

True it's time to just move on from that. It's sad that the posts got removed I didn't get to see them to know for sure but you're right. Continuing on with the same subject that got deleted out because of lack of respect is not the best idea to do. It won't be guaranteed that it won't go south again.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
    edited December 2018

True it's time to just move on from that. It's sad that the posts got removed I didn't get to see them to know for sure but you're right. Continuing on with the same subject that got deleted out because of lack of respect is not the best idea to do. It won't be guaranteed that it won't go south again.

I was part of it and I don't think it was disrespectful, nor towards me nor me towards someone. All of us were mostly being accepting of our different ideas and opinions, I'm puzzled why they were removed. There was no name calling or personal attacks but whatever. I was just responding to what the OP was discussing. I don't think it went south. Sometimes we get passionate or argumentative with a product but does not necessarily mean we cannot have a civil disagreement or heated respectful discussion. Just my 2 cents ^^
    I was actually reading this thread last night before and after the removals. I agree with Archieonic. I don't see what the problem was but it is what it is now. I don't think the problem was necessarily talking about mods but the fact thing (and others) to which Cinebar made a post afterward that I think more about censorship at that point.
    I’m sceptical about a Sims 5. Because I don’t trust the direction this franchise is heading and I have no reason to believe things will turn the way I’d like to see it any time soon. The signs are discouraging for a player like me.

In my view Sims 4 will never meet Sims 2’s and Sims 3’s standards (regardless which of those is your favourite), simply because the basegame lacks the same quality. It lacks Sims 2’s depth where it comes to personalities and detail and it lacks Sims 3’s depth where it comes to customization and freedom.

I agree. I look at TS4 and think back at discussions about and hopes that TS4 would be what's born of the best of TS2 and TS3 and I wonder how it became so shallow and limited, especially with these great new emotions, smarter sims and new tech, when what I loved was how deep and limitless they felt in interactions, in the environment, and in customization.

The Sims 4 is what it is and that, I don't think, will change or drastically improve in 3 years for anyone who just isn't feeling it like me, but I'm hoping if they are working on or start working on TS5 behind the scenes that the deep, limitless feeling will return and better than before.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top