Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No Love For Supernatural Players

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited November 2018
    I honestly believe that they're only bringing the occults that made the most amount of positive player feedback of their return, and as far as I've seen, not including the ones we already got in TS4, that leaves Witches (or some other Magical alternative), then Mermaids, then Fairies or Werewolves tying into the latter end. Not as much hype for those other occults judging from the Twitter polls, seeing as that's where they're focusing their marketing on nowadays.

@paradiseplanet Imaginary Friends got more reception than werewolves and fairies.

@Movotti I was hoping they would not settle for reusing the vampire system in all the occults. It would be boring to play the same thing again, and again and again.

Also, they said they are probably not going to add all the occults we had back in sims 1/2/3. Why? Cuz vampires got a huge reception and they learned that we like when they flesh out features to make them better and improved, instead of remaking them exactly like they were in previous versions.
    The thing is... They could add all of the occults back in the game, not all of them need to be overpowered, not all of them need to have a power and weakness system.
    We could get zombies like the ones in sims 2, they dont need to have powers to battle in the war against plants. Imaginary Friends could have more customization, but they don't need super powers, Genies could be just a npc like they were before (just adding the ability to free the Genies, turning them into human without losing hteir clothes and skin color), mummies can act just like the skeletons in the JA.
    Although would be cool to have all of them fleshed out in the game lik the vampires, there is no need. I would rather have some fleshed out and other not, including all occults in Sims 4, than having Vampires, Witches and Werewolves and no more occults.
    I want more magic in my game, use some time to add the toggle options for those that don't want them but want the objects/cas assets.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited November 2018
    @Karon But can you tell me how are they more popular than werewolves and fairies? I never saw the appeal in them.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    @Karon But can you tell me how are they more popular than werewolves and fairies? I never saw the appeal in them.

I’d like to know too. Most of the stuff I heard about them was how creepy they were, how annoying they were, or some other negative thing (yes I thought their walk was annoying too.)
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member

People can’t tell you *why* they like something. They just do. And apparently A LOT of people like them and voted for them in the polls.

It is what it is.

—T
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited November 2018
    Imaginary friends were kind of creepy to me, but I do find there is something appealing about an imaginary friend, as some very young kids go through a phase of having an imaginary friend in real life.

Maybe people want the devs to revisit the imaginary friends and improve on those occults? (Same with me wanting the mermaids to be revisited and improved upon.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member

Not sure. I was like... 14 yrs old (?) when i played with them, and i used to like the idea of them. For sure they look creepy, but the design can and should be changed, i would love to see more variety... Maybe they could add a bunch of stuffed animals and the one we choose would dictate how the imaginary friend would look.
    But, hm... i used to like them when i played certain sims, like loners and all of that, was easier to find romance for them this way and cute at the same time.
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    Movotti wrote: »
    And I'm the opposite. I've been a fan of darker themes since before my teens. I'm looking forward to eventually watching this new version of sabrina.
    While I do still prefer the lighter Sabrina, I have been watching the new Chilling Sabrina on Netflix, and I do really like her as a character.

I just really hate the actual religion of worshipping Satan stuff being connected to being a witch part. I’ll have to see if the new Sabrina is going to embrace that Satanic in the end of the seasons or would she be able to fight against it next season. (I’m halfway through the current season.) I hope she fights against it in the end, for I can’t support a character who goes evil-Satanic.
    I hate to have to be the one to break it to you: Real satanism isn't evil. It's very anti suffering, and has nothing to do with worshipping satan.
    The satanic temple is suing warner bros and netfilx for this wrongful portrayal.
    As for witches being satanic, that also doesn't happen, cos witches tend to be neo-pagan, aka, nature worshippers.

Anyway, to get back on topic, whenever witches (and other occults) are introduced, I hope they can be customized like the Vampires so that people can choose how dark or light their occults can be. I’m not a total 100% dark fan, so I hope there are options for me to have my lightness, or even shades of gray (lol) with a mix of lightness and mild darkness.
    That's the direction they went in the past, and it's most likely to be the direction they will go in the future.
    There's gotta be a balance of light and dark/good and evil.

(which reminds me: totally looking forward to good omens)
    good-omens-3.jpg

Makes me think there could be some version of good angel/bad angle (it's a terrible angle) As a new occult. But they'd have to take a very non-modern-religious version. Which should be pretty easy, since mythology is full of various variations that out-date modern religious versions.

Ancient Greece has winged god types:
    af64e9e232ceefff1351189591d55160.jpg

winged horse types
    5_1a273566-a8c0-469c-afa4-5c039e166213_grande.JPG?v=1521557143

Egypt has em
    ethics8.jpg

Mesopotamia had human faced winged cats

wingedlionbabylon.jpg

And four winged djinn
    220px-Blessing_genie_Dur_Sharrukin.jpg

But they'd have to call em something other than agnels. :/

Duende wrote: »
    I enjoy a lot of Black Metal, so it would be amazing Movotti, to create a "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" themed witch. Satan is cool. I'm itching to make a metalhead teenage witch. I do tackle darker themes in my games head on so I would absolutely love it.
    I'm itching to make a certain type of witch too.
    tenor.gif?itemid=7938595

I personally didn’t really like the good/bad alignment witch stuff in Sims 2, so I hope this time it’s more flexible and it doesn’t do alignment like that again. I dislike all sorts of rigid alignment stuff, even in Dungeons and Dragons tabletop games and video games that have that kind of moral system.
    From what I remember of magic in ts3, there was a neutral option, not just good and evil, which made it a bit better.
    But your'e right, the D&D system is way better. I'm a fan of chaos!
    Just let me play the character how I want without imposing rigid boundaries stuff on me.
    Yes! More player controlled options are needed in all aspects of the game. We should be able to customise to make our sims world as we want it to be.

I honestly think that a witches pack could also contain faeries (as much as I hate them), zombies, and genies. There's a lot of overlap in magics.

Witches should be able to attempt to bring the dead back to life, but they should also have a pretty high risk of failure, resulting in zombies. Evil witches should be able to bring the dead back as zombies relatively easily, but also still have a failure rate, resulting in the dead being brought back to life.

Fairies and witches both use magic, and the result of which should often be similar. But bad witches may hate fairies, and aught be able to press them in books. :)

I don't think you know what Satanism is and I'm no Christian. I'd explain how, but not only would my posts get extremely inappropriate, it would derail the thread.

Bah. I'll just leave it the following: I do agree that I hope there's more to witches than just Good and Evil, assuming a system like that would come to light at all, which I doubt.
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    I'd honestly like the stereotypical looks for Witches not be assigned to Good or Bad. I'd like to have a Good Witch be green and wear black if I want and I'd also like a Bad Witch to wear pink if I want. Of course I don't even know if they'd go with an alignment system, but I hope they don't have to be either good or bad.
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    Witches and Fairies GP

Hmmm... I want a gamepack that focuses on both witches and fairies lifestates, introducing The Sims 4 Whicked and Pixies Game Pack! The world should feature two neighborhoods with two complete different atmoshphere. One that would look like magical forest as a home for fairies while the other one, a dark spooky swampy area for witches for their voodoo purposes. Both life states would either become enemies/rivals or neutral/friends by default for a good storytelling. Witches powers should unique and not just another way to cheat or alter emotions, you know what I’m talking, right? Fairies could tranform into smaller forms or “sprites?” and they could live in miniature homes or magical trees.

Mermaids as part of an EP

I don’t want mermaids to have their dedicated game pack cause I want theme to br included in a Island Paradise expansion so that they can swim in beaches and lay on sand which would obviously require an expansion effort to work on. Imo, a mermaid game pack would sound lame since some of the greatest things that are associated with this may not made it in the game pack.

Werewolf GP

I would also want to have GP solely dedicated for the werewolf lifestate. Be able to have body hairs, more messy hairstyles, a perk and quirk system, journey to become an alpha wolf, run a wolfd pack, new world similar to FH (but lighter, more of a suburb type, and forest areas)

y'all got bread?
  • Options
    EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Sul sul~

I'm a bit LTTP here (I was off finishing The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, so sorry about that) but just wanted to chime in here - obviously, there's a lot of passionate people here with their own opinions about a variety of supernatural adjacent things. That said, let's always remember to be respectful, not critique others grammar and spelling, and let's please be mindful when discussing religion - if it's directly related to the game that's fine, but generally we try to avoid this kind of conversation here (even if it's educating folks over the realities of something vs the perception - those are great things but this isn't the avenue for them).

Supernatural stuff would be pretty cool though! That might be the Sabrina hype kicking in though. :wink:

giphy.gif

~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited November 2018
    I loved the witches in Sims 2, hated the zombies but loved the objects in Sims 3. If a Supernatural pack includes a lot of humour with it I wouldn't be averse to having such a pack. I'd leave the modders to do the heavy darkside stuff as I remember some of the nasty stuff that came with Sims 1 modders' work. That would make the game an over 18 game. Toggles options come into their own here!

Considering some of the beautiful artwork on the objects in Get Famous, this might be the time to start on Supernatural but I would like a Farming or University pack to come first.

BTW: PS: Got Pratchett's "Good Omens" as a first edition when it came out and that sort of dark humour I love.
  • Options
    Armilus616Armilus616 Posts: 683 Member
    EA_Cian wrote: »
    Sul sul~

I'm a bit LTTP here (I was off finishing The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, so sorry about that) but just wanted to chime in here - obviously, there's a lot of passionate people here with their own opinions about a variety of supernatural adjacent things. That said, let's always remember to be respectful, not critique others grammar and spelling, and let's please be mindful when discussing religion - if it's directly related to the game that's fine, but generally we try to avoid this kind of conversation here (even if it's educating folks over the realities of something vs the perception - those are great things but this isn't the avenue for them).

Supernatural stuff would be pretty cool though! That might be the Sabrina hype kicking in though. :wink:

giphy.gif

I watched one and a half episodes of the new Sabrina, and I don't know if I'm really into it.
    It's not the Magic, though, it's the Characters. So far, I haven't been able to connect or identify with any of the characters. And halfway into the second episode, that is a bad sign. I don't understand half the choices Sabrina makes and disagree with a lot of what she does. The Magic was what kept me watching this long.

I was waiting for Witches in TS4 since day one. Sabrina has nothing to do with it. Not for me. For me, it's Sims 3 Supernatural that got me addicted.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I really really want to be able to play werewolves one day, if I had been on Twitter at that time I would have voted for them.

Love reading books about them, imagining different systems for how they organize themselves in packs. Sometimes I think I will have them as mortal but with a extended lifespan in my saves and other times immortal. I am used to mods so if that is what I have to do then it won’t be a problem.

Just having vampires running wild in my saves gives them too much power, I like the idea of werewolves and vampires having some degree of rivalry. To what extent depends on the save but it just feels so lonely with just the vampires. Throw witches and fairies in there and I will be one happy simmer!! :smiley: I do enjoy my aliens and my ghosts but since they are less variable, not as flexible, they just feel a bit less.

No comments on plantsims :|

I would like to have an occult community in my saves. Several different supernaturals that have different abilities that form alliances and go after adversaries. I want to have one save in which I play my dear little regular sims and see my occult’s running around in the background . Then I want to play saves that focuses on the occult sims and their powerplays.

I want to be able to play out a “Game of Thrones” between the occult sims but the vampires just feel so OP to me that the aliens and ghosts can just pack up and hang out with the regular sims. I just don’t see my vamps hiding in their centuries old mansion because an alien moved into town. My vampires need a bit of competition and I need some occult drama. I already pay for occult drama in the book version and would be happy to do so for some digital drama as well.
  • Options
    BewitchingSashaBewitchingSasha Posts: 63 Member
    I'm done waiting for witches- I mean we only got vampires! And please don't say "but you got aliens and plantsims!!11!!" PLEASE.
    I swear, I'll lose my mind if the next pack is university or farming because everyone's talking about it.
  • Options
    LaziMinxLaziMinx Posts: 53 Member
    I agree if it's farming next I'll go crazy, don't get me wrong it's a cool thing to have, but we need more occults first, But if Uni life is the next one I will not be mad.

In my opinion though, I think witches would be a pretty boring addition to the game, I didn't play on them much though but they'd probably just use the same mechanic as vampires and not really do anything other than different abilities, I never really played them myself but I still hope witches come, It'd be cool to have an occult sim other than vampires and aliens (If aliens are even considered an occult) Now I know they can't be making up mechanics left, right, and center, but I hope if witches come they'll add a bit of a twist, I don't remember how they worked on sims 3/2 though so I could be wrong about them working the exact same... like I said, I didn't really play with them on either games much.
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    If they did bring in witches but not fairies, I would probably just put the fairy costume from Spooky Stuff on all my witch Sims and give them names like Dewdrop Water-Fairy the 3rd. ^_^
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    Sims 4 definitely needs more supernatural content. It's too bright and happy now, even with cloudy days because of seasons. I mean I always liked supernatural additions to the games. And it is a staple of the game too. I respect people who don't think this way, but I just don't like a terminally delightful game all the time.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    1) Do you think they will sell us short in TS4?
    Yep. At this point, I'm convinced that we'll be lucky to just get witchcraft and werewolves, forget merfolk, fae of any kind (fairies, elves, etc.), zombies, or yokai of any flavor. It would be an out and out miracle if we get supers and/or mutants. Like, an every prophet, messiah, deity, and devil ever known to humanity taking over the development studio for the remaining planned 3 years of TS4's production miracle.

2) Do any of you feel like they will only do witches and werewolves while omitting the other states entirely?
    Honestly, my greatest fear is that they will only make witches and merfolk/fairies, leaving werewolves to rot because they're not as popular with the 11-14-year-old girl crowd as the more romanticized/glamorous supernaturals. Lycans slain not by silver bullets, but by pink glitter...(and I'm a grown woman who has sparkly pink tassels on her bike and equally pink and sparkly laces on her sneakers, so you know things are bad when someone who does like pink and sparkly things is saying something like this.)

3) Do you think we'll get mermaids, genies, fairies, zombies and our classic beloved occults?
    Like I said above, it'll be a lucky break if they just finish out the list of classics, let alone the merfolk and fairies, supers/metahumans/mutants, or any of the new supernaturals people have been suggesting.

4) Do you think they will introduce a brand new occult to TS4 franchise?
    No way. The focus of TS4 for these past four years has been on piling on slice-of-life features and mostly ignoring the supernatural/sci-fi elements of the game. They're not adding anything new. They kind of muddled their way through plant sims and ghosts feel like they are an unfinished proof of concept that was implemented quickly to sooth the outrage of the fanbase. We got really well-done vampires...after a two-year gap between them and aliens in GTW.

In fact, I believe that backlash against alien abductions in GTW might have a lot to do with how sparse more fantastical sims are in TS4. After complaints about the frequency of alien abductions by players who just want to play straight reality (which could have been fixed with a simple slider in the game options menu...), they stepped back from doing anything weird or magical at all and just focus on everyday things like hanging out in the backyard and getting a puppy and bowling and...doing the laundry. Stuff they knew the players who just wanted simple slice-of-life gameplay would like and not be too mad at. They played it safe, disastrously so for supernatural players, in order to avoid complaints from players who just want their sims' world to be a mirror of real life with a few cartoonish touches...complaints that could be avoided with a simple slider of toggle switch that modders have no trouble adding. This is why we're in this boat that we're in, simple timidity in the face of criticism.

But, that's just a theory...a Sims Theory!
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited November 2018
    God, I know right.

The realistic players are getting everything these days, when is it our turn again? They did the vampires so well too!!

The aliens had the disadvantage of being a part of a larger expansion, while the plantsims were poorly done and from a patch (they don't even get their own plant outfit, what the heck), but vampires really set the standard for what occults should be like.

I want a werewolf pack, with better and more well-researched werewolves than ever before (and the twitter polls really didn't do them justice; they're clearly very popular???). I'd especially love werewolves I can edit the werewolf form of, in the exact same way as we can edit dogs. You know, with their very own custom coat and everything. PLEASE.

I want a witch pack, especially if I can combine witches with other lifestates. Like, alien witches would be awesome.

Overall I just don't like how they're basically leaving us in the dust like this. It has almost been two years since vampires came out. Announce another occult pack already. Not to be rude, but we've really been waiting for a while now.

Also, The Sims has always been urban fantasy to me. Saying it's a normal boring perfect world with nothing weird or supernatural going on is not doing it justice; the base game literally has cow plants and a magical tree with a portal that leads to a hidden fairy world. Ghosts exist and you can interact with them. Come on.
    People saying otherwise are honestly just in denial.

ChadSims2 wrote: »
    [...]and took away from the budget of Get to Work building aliens and a ugly world no one uses in favor of fleshing out retail people had been asking for since Sims 2.

Excuse you???? SIXAM IS BEAUTIFUL AND I WON'T HEAR OTHERWISE.

Honestly I wish it had more lots! And that it was inhabitable! And that aliens had their very own pack! That would be great.
    But the team was still trying out stuff at the time, and this was their very first big expansion for Sims 4. Including a life state in every expansion was a tradition that carried over from their Sims 3 days. A tradition they kind of dropped. Anyway, you're rude.

I'd also use Sixam way more often if it was easier to get to, but no, you either need a really good rocket, or to be at the top of your science career, having built a perfect wormhole generator. It's not fair to say "nobody uses it". I would. They just made it really hard to get there in the first place.
    Post edited by Magdaleena on

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

1) Do you think they will sell us short in Sims 4?

As a player who loves all the supernatural stuff if we don’t get something soon I will start polishing my pitchfork. Pretty please it has been ages, absolute ages since vampires and they were so good. I really need something more of that fantasy-magic. I have created so many ghosts, vampires and aliens for my saves.

As far as magical or fantastical worlds go, I cannot use them because I just get so depressed that I cannot live in them. Sixam and the Grotto with fishing are wonderful, just wonderful. You could have great stories if you could just live there or at least bring an household over. Since I can’t and it is just a sneak peak at something that could have been magical it is better for my mental sanity to stay in a real world.

I don’t know the ratio of supernatural gameplay vs “everyday gameplay” in the earlier Sims games but I feel like it has been neglected for a bit. For me it really comes down to the next pack after Get Famous. Keeping my fingers crossed but I am a little bit worried.

Pretty please I need a new supernatural fix, you know I’m good for it.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Well, if they want to give us the same basic occults that they have given us in past versions and there's only a two or three years left in this version, there should almost continuous occults rolling out.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,462 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Well, if they want to give us the same basic occults that they have given us in past versions and there's only a two or three years left in this version, there should almost continuous occults rolling out.

Fine by me. All the better if every new pack contains at least one occult, from now until Sims 4 sputters and dies.

I say bring it.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

Fine by me. All the better if every new pack contains at least one occult, from now until Sims 4 sputters and dies.

I say bring it.

Yes. Bring it on. Give us all the occults. We've been waiting.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr