Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    XantheanmarXantheanmar Posts: 445 Member
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Why does it seem like I'm the only person who ever attend a one-floor elementary school?

What's an elementary school? :confused:

@Bugsie2016 an elementary school is what most children in Ontario attend from Junior Kindergarden-Gr.8. Some children do attend Junior High but it's not as common as it is in the U.S. Another term for it is Primary school which you might be more familiar with.. only at least in my primary school case it's last 10 years

Whats kindergarden? (I only started school at 4...)

For US folk Kindergarten is what 5-year-olds go to. Before that is preschool and after is 1st grade.

We have word for that but it's not the same word.

Oh, what do you have?

We have Nursery school (for 3-4 year olds), foundation (4-5 year olds) then years 1-11.

Oh cool! I like learning about school systems all over the world. I don't know why – I guess it's just fun for me. I like learning random things that I'll never need to know.
    41tidg8.jpg
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Why does it seem like I'm the only person who ever attend a one-floor elementary school?

@Bugsie2016 an elementary school is what most children in Ontario attend from Junior Kindergarden-Gr.8. Some children do attend Junior High but it's not as common as it is in the U.S. Another term for it is Primary school which you might be more familiar with.. only at least in my primary school case it's last 10 years

For US folk Kindergarten is what 5-year-olds go to. Before that is preschool and after is 1st grade.

Oh, what do you have?

We have Nursery school (for 3-4 year olds), foundation (4-5 year olds) then years 1-11.

Oh cool! I like learning about school systems all over the world. I don't know why – I guess it's just fun for me. I like learning random things that I'll never need to know.

So. What about yours?
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

Hi, Xan! How are you? @Xantheanmar :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member

Oh, what do you have?

That's awesome, @Xantheanmar. I like learning about all sorts of things too. I like reading random trivia too.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    So, simlit related thing, I reworked some plot stuff and I'm finally going to get to Claire and Ron's baby in LL soon! (Chapter 33 is when she's born)
  • Options
    XantheanmarXantheanmar Posts: 445 Member

Oh, what do you have?

So. What about yours?

@Bugsie2016 The US school system has waaaay too many bits (in my opinion). We have daycare for babies and toddlers, then preschool for about ages 3-4, kindergarten at 5, elementary school at 6 going from first grade to 6th. Then at 12/13 we go into middle school or junior high (again, two names for one thing) which only lasts two years, 7th and 8th grade. 9th-12th are high school, but high school students call 9th graders freshmen, 10th graders sophomores, 11th graders juniors, and 12th graders seniors. After that you can quit school if you want, but really you need a college degree for anything these days so most people go to college. You can go to a local community college for two years (which is more or less free) and get an associates degree, or you can transfer from there to a proper college. You can also go straight to college, where you go for four years and get your undergraduate degree (bachelors of arts, sciences, or fine arts). Universities offer graduate degrees in addition to undergraduate degrees. (A graduate degree is a masters degree or Ph.D. A masters degree comes in the same varieties as a bachelors and takes about 2-3 years on top of the bachelors, the Ph.D. takes however long it takes to complete some new research and publish it. Undergraduate students are also called freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors, in the same order as high school – the differences is that only high school students call themselves those names. To get into a college or university you have to apply to that specific school and get accepted and then enroll to that school. There are technically no universal requirements test-wise for getting into college – each college sets its own requirements, tuition rates, etc, but most colleges you would want to go to require decent scores on either the SAT or ACT, two big tests that juniors and seniors in high school take one or both of. You don't have to take either of them but some colleges will require scores from at least one, while others will be test-optional. Have I confused you yet? If not, scholarships! In the US, because we are crazy, we have an economy where you need a bachelors degree for most jobs but getting one will probably trap you under a mountain of debt because tuitions are so high – and our laws are set up so that college debt can follow you until you die. To avoid this, colleges and nonprofits will offer scholarships, where they pay some of your tuition for you. Scholarships are either need-based (you need the money) or merit-based (you are good at something) and in the latter case you have to keep your grades up or you can lose the scholarship. Uh, if I missed anything you other Americans can tell me.

Oh, and hi @CathyTea ! I'm doing great, having fun... Nice to know I have a fellow information fan here @AdamsEve1231 !
    41tidg8.jpg
  • Options
    pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    15aewar wrote: »
    Looking for some good vampire simlit to binge today! Please let me know if you have any recs!

Have you read @pronterus 's Undead with Benefits? It's really good. There's also Nightshade by @squirrelwithacup . @NyteRose and @divanthesimmer also write vampire fiction. Oh! There's this reading circle, if you want to find more.

Thanks for the recommendation @15aewar :)
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member

Whats kindergarden? (I only started school at 4...) I've heard of it but don't know what it is...

a school or class that prepares children for first grade we do singing and reading and crafts (I have 2 of the crafts still around a Christmas craft and a Cardinal make from paper) as well as playing-either puppets, or with the play kitchen with dolls. I do remember a couple of times that one of my classmates would bring in something-one time it was a toy cash register and another time it was a McDonald's drive-through set. But when I was 4 years old we had something new Junior Kindergarden I just think for parents in Ontario that putting them in preschool prior to putting them into JK/SK defeats the point of JK/SK
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member

Oh, what do you have?

Eeee I was a funny old stick at nursery. The whole programme was arranged for me so I wouldn't scream my head off when strangers (other toddler's parents) walked in. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    But back to the topic-does anyone know of a good elementary school/primary school building I could use for the upcoming chapter?
    found one, one floor-one!!
    @Bugsie2016 JK/SK would be similar to what you called Foundation
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member

Oh, what do you have?

Eeee I was a funny old stick at nursery. The whole programme was arranged for me so I wouldn't scream my head off when strangers (other toddler's parents) walked in. :D

When I was in nursery, I was probably the most troublesome kid since I always got sent to the corner for time out for doing various things (eating someone else's food, pulling a girl's hair, talking too loudly) :lol:
  • Options
    pronterus wrote: »

Oh, what do you have?

When I was in nursery, I was probably the most troublesome kid since I always got sent to the corner for time out for doing various things (eating someone else's food, pulling a girl's hair, talking too loudly) :lol:

I don't remember this myself but apparently according to (friend's mom)- when we were in SK together I would bury his hand in the sand in the indoor sandbox.)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

Oh, what do you have?

I was good. My brother, however, went one day then refused to go. He missed our other brother too much (they were always together at that age)
  • Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member

Oh, what do you have?

I bet I was troublesome too, because I understood what teachers said to me but I never replied to them. They probably thought I couldn't speak English. At least they could just ignore me? xD
  • Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member

Oh, what do you have?

I bet I was troublesome too, because I understood what teachers said to me but I never replied to them. They probably thought I couldn't speak English. At least they could just ignore me? xD

Mann that was me too in nursery, when I wasn't screaming my head off. :joy:
    Although the reason I was unresponsive was because I was deaf.
  • Options
    squirrelwithacupsquirrelwithacup Posts: 10,475 Member
    Hey guys! How is everyone today? Someone convince me to work on this Nightshade chapter...! I'm so distracted by Get Famous...
    37oYgl3.png
    Nightshade: A Simlit || Blogspot || Forum Thread
    See exclusive content and stay updated about Nightshade on my Instagram page!
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Hey guys! How is everyone today? Someone convince me to work on this Nightshade chapter...! I'm so distracted by Get Famous...

incoperate it thats what i did. that way you can play your story save.
  • Options

Oh, what do you have?

Mann that was me too in nursery, when I wasn't screaming my head off. :joy:
    Although the reason I was unresponsive was because I was deaf.

i hear good and ignore one manager on purpose anyway. hes gonna learn the hard way just like the gm did that sometimes he can't have his way or the dishes don't get done. he puts me at kidcheck cause he says were busy but i think he just doesn't like doing it.
  • Options
    i had a good day other than my favoite manager quit, a customer called me young lady. wheni asked why he said i was. nost people call me maam and make me feel a hundred years old.
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Hey Writer's Lounge Peeps,
    I've decided to challenge myself this week. In the U.S., Thanksgiving falls on this upcoming Thursday. I think it's a good practice to think about things I'm thankful for throughout the year and I've been doing this in my personal life all this month. However, I thought about doing it with the Sims and writing SimLit. I invite you to join me on 7 Days of Thankfulness to celebrate the different things we appreciate about The Sims and writing SimLit. Feel free to add a picture. Tagging @CathyTea since I mentioned this idea to her. :)

Today, Day 1, I am grateful for the first Sim I ever created for a shared SimLit story. It should be no surprise to those of you who know me. It's Kassiopeia Celestia Fullbright from The Krazy Crazy Life of Kassiopeia Fullbright. Kass helped me explore writing again during a time in my life where I abandoned a hobby I loved. Writing SimLit brought joy back into my life and started me down a path to rediscovering myself and self-love. For that, I'm eternally grateful.

screenshot.jpg?w=474&h=356
    Here's the very first picture I took of Kass in game when I started. She's a little cutie here. :blush: I have always loved red-haired Sims, and I think there need to be more redhead protagonists in literature. I've seen a lot more in SimLit, which of course, makes me happy.

How lovely to talk about the first Sims we created on the First Day of Seven Days of Thankfulness!

My first TS4 Sim I created was Cedar Bough, the founder of my legacy. She's my WordPress avatar, and I've come to identify so much with her that when I see the avi, I think it's a picture of me! :)

Here's my favorite picture of her, looking adorably like herself!

09-04-14_6-12c2a0pm.png?w=1024&h=624

I'm thankful for her because she got me into writing SimLit, and she inspired me to finish both the Legacy and Goofy Love! It took about 16 months, but boy! Was it ever fun and rewarding! (And I met so, so many neat people through writing it!)

@CathyTea oh I loved Cedar. You make a good point about associating her with you. I do still think of you when I see her picture. She was a great founder. And it is rewarding and sweet to complete a legacy. I have yet to do it so I really admire people who do. (And I'm glad you're letting me feature Sugar from later in that same legacy in my ISBI). Thanks for sharing and for participating in what I'm trying to do.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    I know I'm a little behind but I wanted to put in my 2 cents on schools because mine was a little abnormal from what I've heard talking to people in other locations. XD
    Even in the same state as me.
    Pre-K or preschool was up until 5 years old
    Than I had kindergarten was elementary school which was 5 years old. One floor
    1st and 2nd were in primary school one floor
    3-5th was in intermediate school 3 floors
    6-8th was middle school 2 floors
    And than 9-12th was high school. 2 floors
    I graduated high school at 17 and then went to college at 18 since my birthday is in the summer.
  • Options
    15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    @Bugsie2016 It happened when his chemistry set exploded!
    Looking for some good vampire simlit to binge today! Please let me know if you have any recs!

Have you read @pronterus 's Undead with Benefits? It's really good. There's also Nightshade by @squirrelwithacup . @NyteRose and @divanthesimmer also write vampire fiction. Oh! There's this reading circle, if you want to find more.

Thanks for the recommendation @15aewar :)

You're welcome! You deserve it!
  • Options

@CathyTea And what a Sim Cedar was! I just wanted to say thanks to you Cathy, for being so incredibly generous and welcoming. You inspired me to start writing SimLit and also to give The Sims 4 a chance. Four years ago, I got TS4 upon release, but I couldn't play it due to my notebook not being able to run the game. I basically gave up on the game, until I read your Goofy Love story. It not only changed the way I play my game, it changed my life.

Also, I've never met a kinder group of people than these here on the forums. With all the cyberbullying and bad things going on in this cruel world, it's nice to know that there are still kind people out there. I don't know what negative things have been said on here, I hope I didn't offend anyone (I don't think I did) and I'm sorry if I did. I've been a victim of bullying for 12 years, so I know how that feels. I've also had troubles with my self-esteem, anxiety and being confident around other people. This also wasn't the best year of my life, but your stories always make me smile and writing and reading SimLit is a form of healing to me. I just want to thank each and everyone on this forum for being kind and motivating me to write stories in times where I doubt myself.

And that's what I'm thankful for this year.

@divanthesimmer This is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing. I am always encouraged to hear triumph stories, and I love that SimLit has been healing for you. It's been healing for me too. I am so glad you're here. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Hey Writer's Lounge Peeps,
    I've decided to challenge myself this week. In the U.S., Thanksgiving falls on this upcoming Thursday. I think it's a good practice to think about things I'm thankful for throughout the year and I've been doing this in my personal life all this month. However, I thought about doing it with the Sims and writing SimLit. I invite you to join me on 7 Days of Thankfulness to celebrate the different things we appreciate about The Sims and writing SimLit. Feel free to add a picture. Tagging @CathyTea since I mentioned this idea to her. :)

Today, Day 1, I am grateful for the first Sim I ever created for a shared SimLit story. It should be no surprise to those of you who know me. It's Kassiopeia Celestia Fullbright from The Krazy Crazy Life of Kassiopeia Fullbright. Kass helped me explore writing again during a time in my life where I abandoned a hobby I loved. Writing SimLit brought joy back into my life and started me down a path to rediscovering myself and self-love. For that, I'm eternally grateful.

screenshot.jpg?w=474&h=356
    Here's the very first picture I took of Kass in game when I started. She's a little cutie here. :blush: I have always loved red-haired Sims, and I think there need to be more redhead protagonists in literature. I've seen a lot more in SimLit, which of course, makes me happy.

How lovely to talk about the first Sims we created on the First Day of Seven Days of Thankfulness!

My first TS4 Sim I created was Cedar Bough, the founder of my legacy. She's my WordPress avatar, and I've come to identify so much with her that when I see the avi, I think it's a picture of me! :)

Here's my favorite picture of her, looking adorably like herself!

09-04-14_6-12c2a0pm.png?w=1024&h=624

I'm thankful for her because she got me into writing SimLit, and she inspired me to finish both the Legacy and Goofy Love! It took about 16 months, but boy! Was it ever fun and rewarding! (And I met so, so many neat people through writing it!)

Ooooh! I want to try!

Here's the first simlit photo I ever posted; it's of Alexander Goth in the first chapter of The Shadow Over Newcrest.
    alexanderwriting.jpg
    Although I never got around to explaining how he became a girl, I loved delving into the family history of the Sims' best-known townies. It also gave me the confidence I needed to try different projects - even if they're a bit out there. I'm so thankful for everyone who took some time out of their day to read one of my posts. <3
    It was the chemistry set that did it! I'm not really sure why I chose that particular plot point. Maybe I thought it would be terrifying to be shut up in a room? Hmm...

@15aewar Thanks for sharing with us. Have you been writing much Shadow Over Newcrest? I need to catch up on a lot of people's stories, but I am always a fan of legendary families, if you want to call them that, in the Sims, like the Goths. This is a great picture! I really love your writing and I always smile when I see you around the forums. And I appreciate you branching out and exploring different things with your SimLit. I didn't realize you moved Shadow to a new forum page.

I've also been curious about your Death at Von Windenburg story. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Nice to know I have a fellow information fan here @AdamsEve1231 !

@Xantheanmar I drive my friends a little nuts because I like learning how movies are made, and fun facts about the actors and production and why certain decisions were made. I do the same with book serieses some too. It's probably why I add behind-the-scenes "author's notes" to my chapters of SimLit. What's some of your favorite types of trivia?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top