January 11 - First Friday Highlight of 2019! Click here to check it out!

EA New Tech and Help is useless.

Comments

  • CupidCupid Posts: 2,883 Member
    Mendota wrote: »
    In my humble opinion it would be better to just say acknowledged rather than solved. And why would it be a hardship to just visit the forums for the devs? That is just an excuse. However in my experience having used both the Sims forums for issues and the EA support, the forums were a much better option. To a point I learned about the aging bug on the forums here.

    The forums are a "much better option" for you as a user because, of course, it's much easier for people to create vague topics about a bug than it is to file a detailed bug report.

    However, from the dev's standpoint I can't understand why you would say it's just an "excuse" that they would want to use a platform designed specifically for reporting bugs to find and fix bugs. It's an excuse that they don't want to spend time sifting through forum topics of varying detail and circumstance to figure out what issues people are having? Time they could actually be using to fix those issues? On AHQ everything is merged and organized (so all the reports on a bug are in one single place), bug reports are required to be filled out with certain detail and people are forced to mention whether or not they're using mods; three things that make the forum incredibly disadvantageous in comparison.
    Mendota wrote: »
    And yes, Crinrict works very hard, this has nothing to do with her.
    Obviously it does though, because she's the one who upset you by marking a dev response as a solution so that people could see it. Also, all the effort that Crinrict puts into the AHQ is directly related to why it is a better platform for reporting bugs.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,168 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    Mendota wrote: »
    In my humble opinion it would be better to just say acknowledged rather than solved. And why would it be a hardship to just visit the forums for the devs? That is just an excuse. However in my experience having used both the Sims forums for issues and the EA support, the forums were a much better option. To a point I learned about the aging bug on the forums here.

    The forums are a "much better option" for you as a user because, of course, it's much easier for people to create vague topics about a bug than it is to file a detailed bug report.

    However, from the dev's standpoint I can't understand why you would say it's just an "excuse" that they would want to use a platform designed specifically for reporting bugs to find and fix bugs. It's an excuse that they don't want to spend time sifting through forum topics of varying detail and circumstance to figure out what issues people are having? Time they could actually be using to fix those issues? On AHQ everything is merged and organized (so all the reports on a bug are in one single place), bug reports are required to be filled out with certain detail and people are forced to mention whether or not they're using mods; three things that make the forum incredibly disadvantageous in comparison.
    Mendota wrote: »
    And yes, Crinrict works very hard, this has nothing to do with her.
    Obviously it does though, because she's the one who upset you by marking a dev response as a solution so that people could see it. Also, all the effort that Crinrict puts into the AHQ is directly related to why it is a better platform for reporting bugs.

    I have to agree. It goes into more details when you are giving information about what's going on in your game. Typically when someone fills out a report it asks for details such as which patch you have, if you have mods or cc in your game, which packs you have etc. Whereas in here you mainly get posts saying things like, "My sim keeps spinning in circles and won't stop", (Not a real issue just throwing something out there) and that's as far as it goes until you get others asking questions specific to that person's game instead of that information being given from the start. As you said, it can get vague in here and then things usually get derailed... so I don't know I like how well organized Crinrict has it over there and how we can stay on topic with the specific problem.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits, gerbits, vo gerbits!!!" B)
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 10,379 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Also, it's Crinrict not Crincrit lol, while we're correcting these things :D

    😆
    Never allow waiting to become a habit. Life is happening now.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,030 Member
    Mendota wrote: »
    In my humble opinion it would be better to just say acknowledged rather than solved. And why would it be a hardship to just visit the forums for the devs? That is just an excuse. And yes, Crinrict works very hard, this has nothing to do with her. However in my experience having used both the Sims forums for issues and the EA support, the forums were a much better option. To a point I learned about the aging bug on the forums here.

    Posts are sometimes marked as solved for visibility purposes in certain threads when the issue is a major bug. This is to ensure that users reading the thread can see the status of the bug straight away without having to trawl through all the posts where people have reported the same issue. The Accepted Solution is always the second post in a thread. You say you would like it to be acknowledged rather than marked as a solution, are you therefore prepared to read through pages and pages just to find a post by a CM, QA or Hero? Because most people aren't and typically only read the first and possibly last page.

    In the case of the ageing bug and the Father Winter bug, you can immediately see that the EA QA team are aware of the issue and actively looking into it.

    In the case of the mouth and eyes showing in First Person Camera, you can see that there is a temporary fix. This is marked as solved so users can see a workaround has been posted so they can fix the bug themselves until a patch is released. Again, you can see that EA QA is aware and working on it.

    When these issues are fixed the solution will be changed to show that the issue was resolved in patch X.

    Having the technical forums at AHQ means that all issues are in one place, rather than spread over two forums. There is a bug reporting system in place that works well at AHQ and gives the CMs, Devs and helpers a lot of the information they need to help troubleshoot an issue.

    I agree that the layout and general look of AHQ isn't that great and that the layout of these forums is easier on the eye. But at the end of the day, if you have an issue do you want to find a fix or at least know that EA are aware and looking into it? Or do you just want to read about it on a nice looking forum? If you want the fix/assurance that EA is looking into it, then AHQ is the more active place to look.
    apple-signature.png
  • ZaszZasz Posts: 577 Member
    I agree that the layout and general look of AHQ isn't that great and that the layout of these forums is easier on the eye. But at the end of the day, if you have an issue do you want to find a fix or at least know that EA are aware and looking into it? Or do you just want to read about it on a nice looking forum? If you want the fix/assurance that EA is looking into it, then AHQ is the more active place to look.
    I want the bugs fixed regardless where they are posted. We have topics with dozens of pages with gurus looking into it but they havent been fixed like the simulation lag with bigger households, (vampire) sims with random outfits that we cant edit and many more. They did receive sufficient reports and even savegames. The problem isnt the process anymore. The problem is the lack of action based on the reports.
    333 - Only half evil.
    34501032bb.jpg
    EA ID: Zasz_Zerg
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 1,235 Member
    @BluebellFlora

    The impression still given is that they streamlined where we can be ignored. There are bugs still in this game since it launched that I want fixed ASAP. It just proves that they really do not care. I have reported bugs and DO NOT see little "work arounds" as an acceptable solution.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,030 Member
    @Zasz @NorthDakotaGamer

    So really it doesn't matter where you post bugs, here or at AHQ, because the Devs aren't bothering to look at them anyway, so what's the point? If that's really your argument then just post at AHQ or click the Me Too button on already submitted reports for your issues. Your energy is better spent being a +1 on a bug that will get QA's attention rather than posting in a thread moaning about tech help.
    apple-signature.png
  • Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 515 Member
    I don't bother to report bugs there anymore because every time I've posted something, it gets labeled as "needs input" and then it's ignored.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 1,235 Member
    @Zasz @NorthDakotaGamer

    So really it doesn't matter where you post bugs, here or at AHQ, because the Devs aren't bothering to look at them anyway, so what's the point? If that's really your argument then just post at AHQ or click the Me Too button on already submitted reports for your issues. Your energy is better spent being a +1 on a bug that will get QA's attention rather than posting in a thread moaning about tech help.

    I already did post in the AHQ on specific issues. I was also participating in this thread. The topic here is not about any specific bugs, but about the "new streamlined" system they forced. I find the AHQ to be complete garbage and of no help, based on experience and the fact that the suggestions they give never work.
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 374 Member
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    I don't bother to report bugs there anymore because every time I've posted something, it gets labeled as "needs input" and then it's ignored.

    Had the same experience - They usually start with the typical questions like "Have you deactivated your mods? Is your game up to date?" and then it gets ignored.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,030 Member
    Had the same experience - They usually start with the typical questions like "Have you deactivated your mods? Is your game up to date?" and then it gets ignored.
    Yes, and you know why? Because the majority of posters STILL don't move their mods out before updating, or test their game with a clean folder. We have to start at a basic level if the user doesn't provide much info. If you state your full computer specs, a detailed description of your issue, and all the troubleshooting steps you've tried then we wouldn't have to ask you.
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    I don't bother to report bugs there anymore because every time I've posted something, it gets labeled as "needs input" and then it's ignored.
    Because more information is needed, simple. If everyone had the same attitude and didn't report a bug then nothing would get fixed.
    I find the AHQ to be complete garbage and of no help, based on experience and the fact that the suggestions they give never work.
    Do you have links to your posts?

    apple-signature.png
  • Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 515 Member
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    I don't bother to report bugs there anymore because every time I've posted something, it gets labeled as "needs input" and then it's ignored.
    Because more information is needed, simple. If everyone had the same attitude and didn't report a bug then nothing would get fixed.

    I don't see how it needs more information. Here's one bug I posted: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-GTW-Weird-object-on-the-ground-in-Magnolia-Promenade/td-p/6948263
    Multiple other people have confirmed that they see the same thing in their games, so it's not a problem with my computer. I ended up moving my sim out of Magnolia Promenade, even though I liked living there, because the object bothered me too much. It's probably never going to be fixed because most people don't play in Magnolia Promenade so they wouldn't notice it.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited November 2018
    @BluebellFlora

    I am not required to provide you with examples. You are not changing my mind on the impression given by AHQ. I check there first when I run into what I consider as bugs. I do AFTER taking out my mods folder, cleaning the cache, pulling out my tray folder, backing up saves, repairing my game and starting a vanilla save. I then either post on an existing thread or start my own. So in other words, I troubleshoot BEFORE reporting.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 922 Member
    @NorthDakotaGamer It's great that you troubleshoot so thoroughly on your own before posting at AHQ, and it would be wonderful if all players approached the process like you do. But that's not the case—Sims players have a wide range of understanding about the game and their computers. Some don't know how to find their specs, some have no idea what's in their game folders, a few don't even know what OS they're running. So without more information to go on, responders at AHQ have to start with the basics.

    I promise you, and anyone else reading, that if you were to post a bug, or a tech issue, with a description of what you've done so far to try to fix the problem, you'd get a response that matched your level of competence. The AHQ responders do try very hard to help, but no one can reach into your computer and gather the information you haven't provided.

    As for whether the devs care about bug reports, you might be interested in reading the patch notes posted this week. You'll notice a long list of fixes and updates. While there are certainly bugs and glitches that have yet to be solved, it's clear that there is an ongoing effort to address the issues being reported.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/950920/november-13th-2018-patch-notes/p1?new=1
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,030 Member
    @Evie0602
    I think if a small object on the ground bothers you so much then unfortunately the game will never be up to your impeccable standards. Crin has answered you directly with why it has 'needs input' in the title:

    "Cause I want to see how many people are actually bothered by this. Basically want more input from others
    I can see it there in my game and it's weird but basically it's to find out what other people's' thought on it are.
    Maybe you can go into some more details yourself why it's a problem in your game."


    It seems like not many people are bothered by it and it's not a game breaker. I appreciate that doesn't mean it isn't important to you although it's purely cosmetic.

    @NorthDakotaGamer
    No, of course you don't have to give me examples, I was curious as I couldn't find you over there so assumed you must use a different user name. Do you state in your posts all the troubleshooting you do before posting? It's really important to do that so we're not wasting each other's time.
    apple-signature.png
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 1,933 Member
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    I don't bother to report bugs there anymore because every time I've posted something, it gets labeled as "needs input" and then it's ignored.

    Same here. They said they needed more input about the bug I posted. I see duplicates of uploads in the Gallery all the time. I posted multiple screenshots, showing them exactly what I see in the Gallery. It's been a month since then and no response. Lack of communication is a major pet peeve for me. It may not be intended, but it implies that my issue isn't relevant, and I don't feel very encouraged to post in AHQ. Gallery duplicates aren't a big deal in comparison to game breaking features, but getting crickets for a response doesn't motivate me to post if I ever have another issue.

    Here's the bug I posted- https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-Gallery-contain-duplicates/m-p/7090028#M73535

    BTW, @BluebellFlora, I play vanilla. I haven't played with mods for over 2 years now. I also troubleshoot and research issues I encounter before posting in case there's other information available. Which is why I posted at AHQ. During a self-imposed hiatus from Sims there was a thread posted about the Gallery duplicate issue, and it was closed, thought to be resolved, but with a message from Crinrict to post a new thread if anyone still had the issue. I didn't start playing again and noticed the issue until after the thread was closed, which is why I posted the new thread. Honestly, since it seemed like it was a past known issue I thought there would be more response and momentum on my thread. I'm surprised and disappointed at the lack of response.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 1,235 Member
    @BluebellFlora

    My Name on AHQ matches what my Origin account username is currently. That changes every 6 months or so because I often change it when I change my password.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 913 Member
    I have reported a handful bugs on AHQ and the majority them have been fixed. Not necessarily right away, and AHQ isn't as easy to use as the forum, but the system works.
  • ZaszZasz Posts: 577 Member
    @Zasz @NorthDakotaGamer

    So really it doesn't matter where you post bugs, here or at AHQ, because the Devs aren't bothering to look at them anyway, so what's the point? If that's really your argument then just post at AHQ or click the Me Too button on already submitted reports for your issues. Your energy is better spent being a +1 on a bug that will get QA's attention rather than posting in a thread moaning about tech help.
    It shouldnt be neccessary. Thats the point. If the reporting doesnt increase the chance of it getting fixed then another like under the bug report wont improve the chance either. This isnt facebook.
    333 - Only half evil.
    34501032bb.jpg
    EA ID: Zasz_Zerg
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 374 Member
    edited November 2018
    Had the same experience - They usually start with the typical questions like "Have you deactivated your mods? Is your game up to date?" and then it gets ignored.
    Yes, and you know why? Because the majority of posters STILL don't move their mods out before updating, or test their game with a clean folder. We have to start at a basic level if the user doesn't provide much info. If you state your full computer specs, a detailed description of your issue, and all the troubleshooting steps you've tried then we wouldn't have to ask you.
    Of course it makes sense to make sure users did it first because yes, bugs can happen with out-dated and broken mods. But as soon as people say they actually did all this already then it's often silence.

    I haven't been there in quite a few weeks, so maybe things changed since then. But I took a look at some random threads there now and it seems like crinrict is doing everything by herself which is impressive and she does seem like she really tries her best to help, but in the official forums you had multiple people brain-storming what the issue could be and your issues felt more recognized by more people tbh.
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,507 Member
    edited November 2018
    Hi everyone :D

    Why is needs input something bad ? It doesn't mean it wasn't forwarded and it's also added to the list (maybe not forever but for the time being) and it also doesn't mean you weren't taken seriously.

    It's just something that needs either more me toos or actual input cause it can't be duplicated. I know that it's no ones job here to test and figure out the bugs themselves but by doing so, you help them getting squished. Every bit of information you give can helps them get fixed faster. Sims is a complex game and everyone has their very own and unique play style. Some bugs are fast discovered and many have them, others need a very specialist play style to occur and if you report what you did, it's much easier to duplicate. Saves also help a lot. Since the new template where people describe what they did, it's been so much easier to go in the game and try.

    If people just click me to and never post, it's hard to know if

    a) a problem is still around (there's ninja fixes in patches)
    b) how to replicate something in some cases
    c) I don't have the capacity to test everything and everyone reports. So why not use the community to help ? QA has their own way of working and I try to provide them as much info as possible while also trying to provide you with as much info as I find. I don't work for them so I don't have insight what's going on with these issues.

    Maybe there's no feedback sometimes but you're allowed to bump a thread after a while and saying that it's still an issue (just not every week). I also need feedback from you guys, especially to see if something is really fixed cause again, I can't test everything. Some of these things take a very long time to even achieve.

    There are many issues and the devs have to decided which they have to fix in what order. So, issues that aren't that game breaking or less popular are usually also tagged as needs input to make people chime in .. say they want it fixed, give their opinion and give reasons why it's bothering them. It's a bit like feedback threads you post here in the feedback forum for stuff that is actually by design but for smaller bugs.


    I didn't want to have yet another tag as there are so many so needs input does have a double meaning but I usually say why I tag something the way I do.

    I also go through my list on a regular basis (as I'm doing right now) and either remove issues that haven't had any input in 4-5 month and very little me toos or change their status if they have more. Again, this doesn't match the way QA treats them. This is mostly to keep the list at a manageable size.

    The changing back of the popular now to latest on the gallery is an example of something that got changed. It was reported as bug and then deemed by design even and yet still changed because lots of people said they want it changed back.

    I also invite everyone to go to any of the other bug sections at AHQ (BF, Fifa, whatever) and see how much we Simmers have actually achieved when it comes to communication. We have actual QA answering while you will see mostly: Thanks we have forwarded this in other sections.

    I really hope some of you can reconsider and not just 'make a fist in their pocket' (as we would say in German) but actually report your issues at AHQ.

    With that I wish everyone a wonderful evening.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

  • ZaszZasz Posts: 577 Member
    edited November 2018
    Indeed. I found solutions here on the forum and nothing but silence on the AHQ website.

    Just as an example.
    Excessive autonomous mixing, drinking from sinks, bars and fridges was reported on AHQ mid 2015. They combinded the problems with the bar mixing and drinking water from every water source. Two weeks ago they fixed it... during social events. Now a guru asks for more savegames if the bug is still there... which it is.

    Three and a half years wasted instead of adding a cooldown for autonomous drinking and mixing.

    Another example is a report about the origin client minimizing when starting a game using the client instead of a shortcut. I received an acknowledgement from EA_Alex that he will pass it along. Nothing happened since june 2017.

    Indeed². Crinrict does a great job. Even tho I dont understand why he/she says there is no affiliation to EA yet has moderator rights over there.

    Edit: Thanks, @crinrict . You posted while I was still typing.
    333 - Only half evil.
    34501032bb.jpg
    EA ID: Zasz_Zerg
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 1,933 Member
    edited November 2018
    I don't mind the "Needs Input" and I don't mind supplying more info. It was the lack of response after I supplied more info that concerned me. With no further response, I wasn't sure what to do next. I wasn't sure if it would be considered rude if I'd responded, "Hey, any updates? I'm still seeing this." Now that I know, I'll go ahead and do that if I'm still seeing the problem. Thanks, Crinrict. :)
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,507 Member
    Mostly after patches it's always good to give feedback about your issue.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

  • daenerystubborndaenerystubborn Posts: 328 Member
    Personally, I like the Answers HQ site much better when it comes to reporting bugs. Most of the issues I posted there have been addressed and fixed. Let's be honest, a lot of stuff really does need more input, and some problems simply take longer to be solved than others. Some bugs might also have priority.
    AHQ is better organised as well, at least in my opinion. I enjoy spending time on the forums, but discussions often drift off into off-topic. Or a lost new member randomly throws in other questions which have nothing to with the original one. (No blame here, all forums are a little bit confusing at first.)
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top