Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    @luvdasims55 - I hear you, that's pretty much why I'm reading instead of posting! :wink:

@Cinebar - Thanks for pointing that out. I don't like feeling jerked around, so I pay as little attention to EA's hype as I can, & ignore most of the speculation. Why get excited and then disappointed? SimsVIP will distill the info soon enough.

On-topic: I know EA plans to continue with TS4 for as long as possible, and at least a couple-or-three more years. But if the game engine is as poor as they're indicating (unable to handle more sims and lots)...

I have trouble believing that. If it's true, I'd prefer for them to fix that, if possible. If it's true and it's not possible to fix... then charge less for the packs, because they're giving us a lot less than they did before.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    Lol, this thread could go on for the next three years. Additional comments after every patch and pack release. Although at some point you'd have to change the title. 2 years. Then 1 year. 🙂
  • Options
    LadyBonnabellLadyBonnabell Posts: 8 New Member
    I think the sims 4 is becoming a unique game with alot of fun attributes, however I do agree that there is room for improvement and also we have to accept that the sims isn't the most popular game and has became EAs red headed stepchild, they cut staff and place unrealistic release dates on them, I think the real problem here has nothing to do with the sims development team but money hungry game franchises. The sims title is dying and all of these long waits and lack of content is just symptoms of it.
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    Lol, this thread could go on for the next three years. Additional comments after every patch and pack release. Although at some point you'd have to change the title. 2 years. Then 1 year. 🙂

omg lol. I hope the title will have to be changed at some point. If not, that could be good news meaning the game is going to exist longer due to game improvement. Sadly, I don't foresee that happening. Which is why I am ready for them to move on to TS5. Would love for them to surprise me though.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2018
    You guys know you can ask 24/7 if we really need 3 more years - and technically no one is asking us - and it has already been made to happen whether or not anyone agree - on top of it the CEO could in fact add three more year on top o the three coming once it get within a few month of the first three ending - so it is what it is and as long as the Sims 4 keeps breaking sells record like no other Sims game - I say get used to it. The game is in 2nd place only under FIFA at EA month over month - year over year no matter what people say it goes by what people buy and keep buying.

It is what it is as long as people keep buying and that's a fact - as well as the fact there is no other Sims game to take it's place so naturally dedicated and new simmers keep buying - including many people who admit it is far from their fav - it's the only sims game out there for pc - so we settle.

You cannot blame the company for making a game that sells or call them to be milking the product - you can only blame yourself if you keep buying - keep that in mind. EA simply does what companies do - make products that sell as long as people - huge numbers of people even keep buying the product. You are in control of you - you can't blame EA.

I don't care how one feels about needing this product - they speak when they dish out the dollars for it - that's all the answer any smart company needs. Money speaks louder than words. It doesn't matter when you cave - the majority of us and ever coming newbies - cave and buy the product sooner or later. Sales don't mean anything - EA already has the sale prices accounted for - you could technically look at full prices as a bonus when people pay that.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Actually it’s the next big seller behind Madden and FIFA. EA sports outsell it.

I do agree that if there’s an audience, EA will keep milking the cash cow as long as people buy it.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that is the other side of the equation and imo the most likely scenario. TS4 will keep going and going and going as long as folks keep buying and buying and buying.

EA is obviously more interested in making money than they are in a quality product. It would be nice if both were a high priority, but why worry about quality if you are still making a lot of money with minimal effort and cost.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited November 2018
    I agree. That's where the saying, "put your money where your mouth is", comes into play. If you are dissatisfied with the game stop funding the game. (Though I know a few who have mentioned they don't anymore on here and that's not who I'm talking about) For those simmers who are tired of Eaxis and what's going on, but still buying you have to make your money talk because at the end of the day that's all businesses want. They are not your friends and they don't "love" you past wanting to get money out of you. People have to treat this like any other business. You would do the same with any other business, right? I mean I heard it ALL the time working at customer service. "I'm going to take my money elsewhere!", or " I'm never buying from this place again!", nevermind the fact that I would see some of the same people come in a day or so later, (Which we already see happening here lol) It seems crazy that simmers cannot treat this business the same.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2018

So true, but by the end of seven years will it be as deep and full as the others? I sort of doubt that, and as a thrifty person I wonder if more people would stop buying every thing (like every stuff pack etc.) if they might finally get the point that it's value isn't worth it's price? I think players of TS4 (myself included up to a point) purchased all the packs out of need instead of chose. I think the game was not deep enough to give people choses of packs, like oh, I don't like that so, I'm skipping that one etc. I think it was more like omg, I need more to do in the game or my Sims need more so they wound up buying every thing and when you equal out the amount of money against the amount of content and themes and or 'stuff' it doesn't equal out as like $1 per thing. It's more like over priced for less. Example, no way I feel one active career and six residential lot in a world filled with backdrops equals something like TS2's University or SuperStar or even Showtime.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that is the other side of the equation and imo the most likely scenario. TS4 will keep going and going and going as long as folks keep buying and buying and buying.

EA is obviously more interested in making money than they are in a quality product. It would be nice if both were a high priority, but why worry about quality if you are still making a lot of money with minimal effort and cost.

EA= GrEAdy
    Oh hamburgers!
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

So true, but by the end of seven years will it be as deep and full as the others? I sort of doubt that, and as a thrifty person I wonder if more people would stop buying every thing (like every stuff pack etc.) if they might finally get the point that it's value isn't worth it's price? I think players of TS4 (myself included up to a point) purchased all the packs out of need instead of chose. I think the game was not deep enough to give people choses of packs, like oh, I don't like that so, I'm skipping that one etc. I think it was more like omg, I need more to do in the game or my Sims need more so they wound up buying every thing and when you equal out the amount of money against the amount of content and themes and or 'stuff' it doesn't equal out as like $1 per thing. It's more like over priced for less. Example, no way I feel one active career and six residential lot in a world filled with backdrops equals something like TS2's University or SuperStar or even Showtime.

I do agree with you about some simmers buying simply because they feel starved for content. There are a lot of simmers who are upset about the world size and pack content but they're going to purchase it anyway. You don't think it's worth it so you've decided not to purchase any more packs. I think it's worth it, plus I truly enjoy the game so I'll continue to purchase packs.I have more than enough existing content to keep me busy.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

I do agree with you about some simmers buying simply because they feel starved for content. There are a lot of simmers who are upset about the world size and pack content but they're going to purchase it anyway. You don't think it's worth it so you've decided not to purchase any more packs. I think it's worth it, plus I truly enjoy the game so I'll continue to purchase packs.I have more than enough existing content to keep me busy.

If it ended today, right now, and it has been four years, would you feel it is as deep and full as the older games? Or do you feel it needs way more many years to fill it up or bring more meaning to it?
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    If it ended today, right now, and it has been four years, would you feel it is as deep and full as the older games? Or do you feel it needs way more many years to fill it up or bring more meaning to it?

No, @Cinebar. If it ended today, I'd feel I'd been ripped off, everything considered. I'd be deeply dissatisfied. A Sims game isn't done until we have at least one university and a full magic system! :lol:

But at the same time, I'm unlikely to ever pay full price for any of their packs again. Once burnt, twice shy.

• Options
    Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 115 Member
    Unless they start making some big changes it could end today and I'd be alright with it. TS4 lacks too much and the crap they're adding isn't making it any better.
  • Options

Based on the way I play, one sim who basically completes all aspirations, careers, skills, collections, owning retail and vet clinics, managing restaurants, etc, I would have enough content to keep me content if this game were to come to a close today. But. There is one pack that I have come to feel is synonymous with the sims franchise and I would be disappointed if it didn't come. I'd love to see a university/education pack. Anything else is just icing on the cake.

As for meaningful gameplay I think what we have now is meaningful and no additional packs are needed to augment that. I just want Uni to fill in the gap between teens and young adults.
  • Options
    @simgirl1010 university has been one of my favorite packs as well. I've been so disappointed in the problems with the game so far though, that I wouldn't invest anymore money in that pack or any other.
  • Options
    @simgirl1010 university has been one of my favorite packs as well. I've been so disappointed in the problems with the game so far though, that I wouldn't invest anymore money in that pack or any other.

I understand. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Iguess66 wrote: »
    Unless they start making some big changes it could end today and I'd be alright with it. TS4 lacks too much and the plum they're adding isn't making it any better.

IKR, lol, 1st person, because you know, we gotta get those mmorpg features in this series or it won't be diverse enough. Argh, what part of god game don't they understand. :s:'( No really, I'm going to get in my corner and bemoan this one for a long time. Just keep going Maxis until it has all the rpg features any rpg player would ever want.
  • Options

Based on the way I play, one sim who basically completes all aspirations, careers, skills, collections, owning retail and vet clinics, managing restaurants, etc, I would have enough content to keep me content if this game were to come to a close today. But. There is one pack that I have come to feel is synonymous with the sims franchise and I would be disappointed if it didn't come. I'd love to see a university/education pack. Anything else is just icing on the cake.

As for meaningful gameplay I think what we have now is meaningful and no additional packs are needed to augment that. I just want Uni to fill in the gap between teens and young adults.

O.K. thanks for answering and explaning how you play. I don' t play that way. I guess once they add University then they can end it, that's good, just one more GP or EP to go then. :)
  • Options
    I guess once they add University then they can end it, that's good, just one more GP or EP to go then. :)

If only that were true, *sigh*. :(
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2018

O.K. thanks for answering and explaning how you play. I don' t play that way. I guess once they add University then they can end it, that's good, just one more GP or EP to go then. :)

You well know they are not ending - as they have "years ahead of content they are working on for this game" according to Grant. So snuggle in Cinebar - looks like a long, long road ahead....

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited November 2018

I don't think they'll ever end it. Why do that and have to put all that effort to a new game when they can just keep on adding stuff to this one? (They released new versions (2 & 3) with bigger and better improvements like clockwork but for some reason seem stuck on this one).
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    And back to the drawing board we know we have years of content coming and there is no proof that it will even end at that point. They may decide to extend it even.
    For me yes I want it and need it. I want as much as I can get so I can tell all sorts of stories. I definitely don't think it's a worse game in the past because it isn't "done" sooner or in a way that isn't very focused or fleshed out. I won't go into better or worse but I finally got Sims 2 running again on my computer.. it's been at least 5 years. I didn't play very long had some nostalgia and then frankly some irritation set in and I started thinking about all the mods/cc I'd need to actually enjoy for more than just a lark so I shut it off.
    If this game ended tomorrow without the themes I want I would not be happy. I'm very sure they will come though they are pretty normal Sims themes (University, Tropical Beaches, Witches, Bands, Servos). I also know they have expanded on all the themes I wanted so far, so I'm happy to wait for whats next because that too will be expanded on in turn.
    I also want more and newer ideas that have never been in the game so if it ended tomorrow I'd be unhappy that that didn't come to fruition either. Like farming or my dream of more intricate ways to couple dance than in the past. Although I don't have to worry about that now. When the three year mark is nearing and I haven't gotten those features by then... then I'll start worrying.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    ThisISMariaThisISMaria Posts: 104 Member
    edited November 2018
    Only 4 years? That's not enough, EA still need to milk some more money from us. I mean, answer me this, do you really think they will make another Sims game that will just be filled with lots of content and everyone will be happy? No. EA want your money, they are a business that will milk you again in Sims 5 just like Sims 4. I hate to come across as arrogant but anyone that genuinely believes they will get a Sims game that has full content and no bugs/glitches blah blah are just fooling themselves.

Why want a new Sims game already when this one isn't even close to fulfilling everyone's desires yet? so you can go spend an absurd amount of money on DLC again? I'll rather wait for this game to be complete and fully polished than for EA to go and tyrannically force Maxis to produce some half waste, cash grabbing, missing content of a game just because it has "beter graphickz".
    It's about quality not quantity.
    Cute-Russian-Girl-Smiles-Waves-For-The-Camera-Russia-At-The-2014-Fifa-World-Cup.gif
  • Options
    ThisISMariaThisISMaria Posts: 104 Member
    edited November 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    You guys know you can ask 24/7 if we really need 3 more years - and technically no one is asking us - and it has already been made to happen whether or not anyone agree - on top of it the CEO could in fact add three more year on top o the three coming once it get within a few month of the first three ending - so it is what it is and as long as the Sims 4 keeps breaking sells record like no other Sims game - I say get used to it. The game is in 2nd place only under FIFA at EA month over month - year over year no matter what people say it goes by what people buy and keep buying.

It is what it is as long as people keep buying and that's a fact - as well as the fact there is no other Sims game to take it's place so naturally dedicated and new simmers keep buying - including many people who admit it is far from their fav - it's the only sims game out there for pc - so we settle.

You cannot blame the company for making a game that sells or call them to be milking the product - you can only blame yourself if you keep buying - keep that in mind. EA simply does what companies do - make products that sell as long as people - huge numbers of people even keep buying the product. You are in control of you - you can't blame EA.

I don't care how one feels about needing this product - they speak when they dish out the dollars for it - that's all the answer any smart company needs. Money speaks louder than words. It doesn't matter when you cave - the majority of us and ever coming newbies - cave and buy the product sooner or later. Sales don't mean anything - EA already has the sale prices accounted for - you could technically look at full prices as a bonus when people pay that.

@Writin_Reg They have a dismissive attitude to their own customers which is the main reason why people dislike them - they do everything to maximise their products and don't care who they upset, absolutely including long-term customers, in their pursuit of the short-term dollar. They own a large number of franchises for international sports leagues, making their games essentially the only choices for some sports. This wouldn't be so bad if they made a real effort, but in fact they churn out iterations of the same game with little improvement and often unpatched bugs. Almost every other firm at least pretends to listen to its customers. EA just want your money and doesn't care what you think or want. There's what they sell, or the door.

It's important to understand that EA made $5 billion in revenue in 2017. People say they dislike EA, but then turn around and give them money, so of course I agree with you on that part but EA shouldn't be getting praised for being the type of company they are and deserve every amount of criticism and blame for continually deceiving their community. Especially with the release of Battlefield V they received a lot of backlash when EA said: "Accept It or Don’t Buy the Game" when fans had a problem with the game being historically inaccurate and EA being more concerned about making a game 'PC' than actually created a decent game to begin with. Just look at the Battlefield V trailer's dislike bar and that tells you everything.
    Cute-Russian-Girl-Smiles-Waves-For-The-Camera-Russia-At-The-2014-Fifa-World-Cup.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top