Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5? Maxis Recruiting for “Exciting New Game in the Sims Franchise”

Comments

• Options
    Bb23Bb23 Posts: 1 New Member
    I personally wish they would bring back story mode option in the Sims. I loved that. Also more housing options , I believe it was the Sims 2 where you could build a boat house.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2018
    @leetamme wrote: »
    Is that confirmed, that Sims 5 is in development?

No, this is a speculation thread. But Maxis is hiring new employees for a new AAA Sims game so we can only assume.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2018
    Bb23 wrote: »
    I personally wish they would bring back story mode option in the Sims. I loved that. Also more housing options , I believe it was the Sims 2 where you could build a boat house.

That's TS3 Island Paradise. But TS2 has real apartments, with up to 4 families living in one lot.

Also, I would want them to focus on actual game features and detail instead of spending time on story mode for a BG.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    @Sigzy05 oh ok. I read that artical, just didn't know if an actual announcement was made and I missed it. Thank you
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    CreoleSim wrote: »
    As a player since 2001 I am “low key” over TS4, I’ve been a vocal person about it all. I’m ready for “The Sims”. It’s time to get back to it! I am ready for the next iteration! If they learn from this mistake (goodness no patch ,or Plum object, will save this game). Then I am ready to move on! I only love TS4 because of the art style (ts2 beta in ultra graphics, hello?). But I need depth! These older games have it, like TS2, even 3 (open world!?) but this game falls short! It’s so pretty, but the soul is empty! I just don’t understand. Port, and convert it if you have to, but refine it.

I’m looking forward to them “ making it right”, my goodness. What would Will Wright think about this?

Let us tell the story, set the tone, just add the little details to help us all tell our particular story.

Open world, closed districts, cars (with animation for GS!), portable Babies, tea sets, picnic baskets. Beaches! Pools? Toddlers (ts4!). No need for extra realistic! Clean, smooth edge like TS4, and a Cleaner, stylized “Painterly” TSM (Medieval) look. Start from scratch, back to the basics with all the tools (and more) from each game!

Bring on “The Sims”!

100% agreed!!!

TS4 just hasn't done it for me. I can appreciate that it improved some things like vampires and toddlers, but not much else, and it feels like each new EP just recycles the last one with very little content. There's no attention to detail, and I can play an EP worth content in a week or less.

This is how realistic TS2 was, and how I hope the new "The Sims" will be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dk_s6Pt0Vo

And look at the idle animation on the mom when she's not doing anything....TS4 sims just stand there....I don't understand this. And couches in TS2 had soft pillows, like they change shape when sims sit on them. In TS4 it looks like they are sitting on a rock.

I think so many play on ultra speed in TS3 and TS4, (hurry get to the next level of something) they didn't even know the the cushions sink in a little when Sims sit down on a couch. I just saw it again the other day, lol, and I was like wow, I had forgotten all the money spent on details in TS2! We took a lot for granted.
    As for Sims 3, on the contrary, because I love facial expressions, animations and details. I play the game like a snail rather. In Sims 4 I turn to ultra speed sometimes, when an animation lasts too long, but so far I haven’t with my vampires because I’m enjoying them. And in Sims 2 I used speed 3 frequently because for me it’s too detailed at times. Like the whole taking a bottle out of the fridge routine, that bores me after a couple of times. The thing is, animations as such won’t carry the game, because after a couple of times you’ve seen it. They are always the same. It’s reactions that matter, surprises. Both Sims 2 and 3 have those. If I’d play 3 on ultra speed, I’d miss out on too many things. And I sometimes suspect that people who claim Sims 3 lacks detail think so because they apparently play the game on ultra speed.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    I will put it this way...If this is what they have given us for TS4 then I am worried what TS5 will be like. It could be some side project to tie us over while they develop TS5 (if it happens, who knows what could happen between now and then :o ). I shall wait and see what happens *sits cozy with popcorn waiting*.
  • Options
    Simbuff20Simbuff20 Posts: 1 New Member
    I hope is gonna be a spinoff :)
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I kinda do hope they have the emotion system, but revamped it in a realistic way.
    I wholeheartedly don’t. That is, when it’s based on auras. I’d want emotions to be based on how other sims treat them, on sympathies or dislikes and I’d love it if they were logical, explainable, but also unexpected. With a way to find out why a sim is feeling that way. But please please please, no auras. No romantic sims just because they passed a waterfall.

I said I want the emotions .Not that I want auroras
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,873 Member
    I kinda do hope they have the emotion system, but revamped it in a realistic way.
    I wholeheartedly don’t. That is, when it’s based on auras. I’d want emotions to be based on how other sims treat them, on sympathies or dislikes and I’d love it if they were logical, explainable, but also unexpected. With a way to find out why a sim is feeling that way. But please please please, no auras. No romantic sims just because they passed a waterfall.

This is the kind of feedback that makes sense. There's a lot of "I don't want this" or "I don't want that" but then those folk fail to articulate what they do want.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

I said I want the emotions .Not that I want auroras
    I reacted because you said you want the emotion system, which implied the auras ;) I just don’t.

@simgirl1010 Thanks and I agree (arguments are important, regardless whether we agree with them or not).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    CreoleSim wrote: »
    As a player since 2001 I am “low key” over TS4, I’ve been a vocal person about it all. I’m ready for “The Sims”. It’s time to get back to it! I am ready for the next iteration! If they learn from this mistake (goodness no patch ,or Plum object, will save this game). Then I am ready to move on! I only love TS4 because of the art style (ts2 beta in ultra graphics, hello?). But I need depth! These older games have it, like TS2, even 3 (open world!?) but this game falls short! It’s so pretty, but the soul is empty! I just don’t understand. Port, and convert it if you have to, but refine it.

I’m looking forward to them “ making it right”, my goodness. What would Will Wright think about this?

Let us tell the story, set the tone, just add the little details to help us all tell our particular story.

Open world, closed districts, cars (with animation for GS!), portable Babies, tea sets, picnic baskets. Beaches! Pools? Toddlers (ts4!). No need for extra realistic! Clean, smooth edge like TS4, and a Cleaner, stylized “Painterly” TSM (Medieval) look. Start from scratch, back to the basics with all the tools (and more) from each game!

Bring on “The Sims”!

100% agreed!!!

TS4 just hasn't done it for me. I can appreciate that it improved some things like vampires and toddlers, but not much else, and it feels like each new EP just recycles the last one with very little content. There's no attention to detail, and I can play an EP worth content in a week or less.

And look at the idle animation on the mom when she's not doing anything....TS4 sims just stand there....I don't understand this. And couches in TS2 had soft pillows, like they change shape when sims sit on them. In TS4 it looks like they are sitting on a rock.

I think so many play on ultra speed in TS3 and TS4, (hurry get to the next level of something) they didn't even know the the cushions sink in a little when Sims sit down on a couch. I just saw it again the other day, lol, and I was like wow, I had forgotten all the money spent on details in TS2! We took a lot for granted.
    As for Sims 3, on the contrary, because I love facial expressions, animations and details. I play the game like a snail rather. In Sims 4 I turn to ultra speed sometimes, when an animation lasts too long, but so far I haven’t with my vampires because I’m enjoying them. And in Sims 2 I used speed 3 frequently because for me it’s too detailed at times. Like the whole taking a bottle out of the fridge routine, that bores me after a couple of times. The thing is, animations as such won’t carry the game, because after a couple of times you’ve seen it. They are always the same. It’s reactions that matter, surprises. Both Sims 2 and 3 have those. If I’d play 3 on ultra speed, I’d miss out on too many things. And I sometimes suspect that people who claim Sims 3 lacks detail think so because they apparently play the game on ultra speed.

Yah playing sims 2.I can see why they changed the needs.So it can be two days before starving.I got why they omitted the whole get the botke,and have to clean up.It's nice,but it's too time consuming.
  • Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    Well that's the first time I see the immense detail of Sims 2 get twisted into something bad to make Sims 3 look better.
  • Options
    Brindleton wrote: »
    Well that's the first time I see the immense detail of Sims 2 get twisted into something bad to make Sims 3 look better.

I wasn't trying to make sims 3 look better . I just didn't like us having to fetch the bottle from the fridge. Just to clean it up on the floor . Especially when you had sims with decreasing needs fast.
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I want the features I liked from each iteration of the Sims, with updated graphics.

Sims 2:

-Large worlds with terrain options and the ability to place most lots wherever I like
    -Best apartment or multi-occupancy lots of any version
    -The incredible details
    -Cutest babies & interactions (I don't want cocoon babies and I don't want object babies)
    -Point system for personality (I'd want to use this in combo with the Sims 3 traits to make the most fleshed out and varied sims)
    -Attraction system

Sims 3:
    -Houseboats (yeah, buggy, but I love the houseboats)
    -All the transportation options!
    -Favorite witches
    -Great traits that seem to have a real impact on personality
    -Nearly unlimited decor options with the color wheel & swatches
    -All the different awesome skills & the details
    -I liked this version of University the most because I could send my sims whenever I wanted to, not just when aging up from teen

Sims 4:
    -Awesome details in the toddlers, once we finally got them (but please do not repeat the fiasco of not having them in the base game0
    -Details in the seasons, calendars with holidays we can customize
    -Club feature
    -Parenting & how it impacts child sim development- including things like Scouts, volunteering, & school projects (love it!)

Plus I'd like a few new things such as a tween age if we're keeping teens the same height as adults.

Perhaps it's too much to ask for. :p
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Well, you can’t read each and every post on here of course, but I’ve always stated that for me some short cuts work better than having to go through endless, time consuming and repetitive details. Everything detailed doesn’t necessarily make the game better for me. Some details I do value in Sims 2 (especially within certain animations) and I dislike it when short cuts look sloppy, beaking immersion (like I prefer really picking up a gem instead of doing some *swoosh* gesture), but for instance in car discussions I’ve always stated I sincerely don’t mind sims teleporting into them instead of opening the door. Sims teleporting to wherever from their living room however for me takes the short cut too far.

So yeah, it’s personal and not to make a version look better. It’s just my genuine opinion.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The date is 17th September 2018. The Sims 4 is now over four years old. Will it last forever?

The Sims 1 lasted until 2003. TS4 coming out a year after the last TS1 EP. That lasted until 2008 with TS3 coming out the following year. TS3 got a whopping four and half years worth of content until the delayed TS4 hit the shelves. It has now been four years...

So is it really right that TS4 gets extra time just because it was always released as an unfinished game? Patched content, over reliance of SPs, GPs and EPs (of which the number has been limited and disappointment plenty) I think that a few of us would be looking forward to moving on don't you think?

I mean don't get me wrong, TS4 has some good points but it has failed to match the predecessor and the limitations are still there. No CASt? No Open World? No CAW? No, thanks!

We need to move forwards, the future holds so much potential for a decent Sims game and I would certainly be most disappointed if no progress has been made until now about starting the next in the series. There are so many good ideas and so much great innovation out there, we could really see an astonishing experience with a new Sims game only if it would get the attention it deserves. Why should TS4 be dragged out a few extra years just to squeeze out extra content in a limited game engine when more focus could be made on a Sis game that actually works?

I want the series to move forwards, I want to see exciting new features but I also want something that is familiar with the past. I want a return to the game style of TS3 but with improved graphics. I want more creative tools and more control over everything. I have every faith that if our feedback has been taken into account that EA can give us the best Sims experience and I think that we would all be pleasantly surprised by what is on offer but first we need to move forwards.

TS4 is not a new game, it is not shiny and it is not able to move beyond a certain point.

Lets move forwards :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited September 2018
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    alan650111 wrote: »
    It makes complete sense that this is The Sims 5. People have to understand that just because they are making a new game it doesn't mean they won't be working on Sims 4 at the same time still. I personally adore Sims 4 and would prefer quality packs to keep coming out. It has perfect and beautiful graphics. I only want a Sims 5 if they truly make the sims complex and realistic. I really am dreading having to buy the expansions to get all of the content I am happily buying for Sims 4. The game better be groundbreaking for me to think it was worth creating another sims from ground up. I especially would love the return of "Create a Style" too! It would be awesome if we could use it on everything such as trees, flowers, and maybe the ground. I would love them to separate bills such as cell phone, electricity, water, and so forth. This way you could truly make each household your own with varying values. There are so many ideas swirling in my head to write now! Anyway, I am confident that this new game will be the next iteration of our beloved series. However I am more than delighted with Sims 4 especially after the fantastic version of Seasons we just received for it! I wait with baited breath for news about the next expansion. Let them start work on Sims 5 but that won't make me any less interested in 4!

Well, the devs have stated directly that there is three more years of content planned for The Sims 4, so even if this is The Sims 5, which it may not be, it still isn't coming anytime soon.

I don’t think anyone claimed it was coming soon.

I think the reality is it’ll be developed the next 4 years (as TS4 gets its possible last 3 years of development prior to a gap year). This is very realistic if you go by every other Sims game.
  • Options
    If this is Sims 5. That doesn't mean Sims 4 ending anytime soon. Games take years to develop. They are just hiring now. So people who are worried the game will stop unfinished.Don't worry sims 4 still has four years least left.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    If this is Sims 5. That doesn't mean Sims 4 ending anytime soon. Games take years to develop. They are just hiring now. So people who are worried the game will stop unfinished.Don't worry sims 4 still has four years least left.

The thing is, the game will be unfinished f you compare to previous games.

I mean will it have Open World?

If not, then it will be left unfinished...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited September 2018
    I think there are many people who would agree with what you're saying, but your post seems to be a bit moot. It's already been confirmed that they have three plus years of content planned for TS4. So whether or not you (and others) think it's fair, it seems that's the way it's happening.

Which if you think about it, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It gives them plenty of time to create a full, complete base game. I'd much rather have them focus on that than stick to a timeline.

Edit: @king_of_simcity7's thread was merged with this one, so this was in response to that.
    Post edited by aricarai on
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Some of us were not enamoured with Open World. The worlds were indeed beautiful, but the game is The Sims, not The Worlds. The Sims themselves were wooden with as much personality as 3 day old oatmeal. And some of the features introduced ended up ruining the game experience. The memory system was a big culprit when it came to save bloat and corruption. Memories of key moments, like births, deaths, getting a job/getting fired, etc. are fine -- but who needs to remember growing a perfect tomato?

Eventually Sims 4 will come to an end, and a lot of people will go chase after the new shiny. Including me, but I can see still playing Sims 4 for several years in the future -- in fact once the game is finished with production I'll probably start looking into CC (not so much CAS CC but custom furniture, probably some custom traits and aspirations as well.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Some of us were not enamoured with Open World. The worlds were indeed beautiful, but the game is The Sims, not The Worlds. The Sims themselves were wooden with as much personality as 3 day old oatmeal. And some of the features introduced ended up ruining the game experience. The memory system was a big culprit when it came to save bloat and corruption. Memories of key moments, like births, deaths, getting a job/getting fired, etc. are fine -- but who needs to remember growing a perfect tomato?

Eventually Sims 4 will come to an end, and a lot of people will go chase after the new shiny. Including me, but I can see still playing Sims 4 for several years in the future -- in fact once the game is finished with production I'll probably start looking into CC (not so much CAS CC but custom furniture, probably some custom traits and aspirations as well.

But the worlds are part of the sims lives.Open world opens lot a possibilities,and stuff are sims can do.Like I said sims4 has several years to go.
  • Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    Sims 2 didn't have open world, is it an unfinished game then? :p

• Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited September 2018
    Sims 2 didn't have open world, is it an unfinished game then? :p

It released before The Sims 3, which introduced open world to the series.
    The Sims 4 released after TS3. A sequel of a mainline game should usually include most of the basic achievements of the previous games.

But I do agree, you can't change the whole engine now after all these years and expansions; so you have to accept Sims 4 the way it is and it still can be a complete game.
    But The Sims 5 should at least have some degree of open world, many people want it. And a game with many loading screens is really old-fashioned.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2018

100% agreed!!!

Thank you for that clip. :)

Although I haven't played TS2 in quite some time, it never fails to amaze me how much detail was present in that game.

TS2 is by far the most detailed game in the series. Every time that I see a video of the game, I feel a bit sad for what the series used to be and what it has become.

That small clip, alone, demonstrated so much: a child behaving like a child, the relaxed posture of the dad, even as his body subtly and passively reacts to the child's movements, the way that the upholstered furniture acts like upholstered furniture, and the more interesting idles.

If TS5 is truly about to go into the preliminary stages of production, I hope that the developers will take a good look at TS2 and remember what made those Sims the best of the bunch.

For TS5, what I'm actually hoping for is a TS2 remake, with improvements borrowed from the more modern versions of the game:
    • The TS4 ability to create attractive Sims, out of the box.
    • TS4's build mode, with the addition of variable foundation heights for each building on a lot, terrain tools, and a CFE mode.
    • TS3's open worlds. Barring that, open neighborhoods -- including a road system and transportation. Bring back car pools, please.
    • An improved TS3 story progression, with a functioning toggle so that rotational players can turn it off. (The lack of story progression is probably the number one reason why I can never go back to TS2.)
    • TS3's ability to customize lot placement, world object placement (like trees, rocks, and special structures), build/buy objects, and all CAS assets.
    • The ability to create custom lot sizes -- as small as 5x5 and as large as 64x64.

If TS5 could be like that, if TS5 could have TS2 Sims' personalities, detailed animations, and quirky fun, I would buy it immediately. I would buy everything!
    I3Ml5Om.jpg