Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    pronterus wrote: »
    Hello, everyone! First off, thank you very much for all the birthday greetings! Here's to another great year at the Writer's Lounge. :)

I'll be having something like this tonight with family and friends:

Balinsasayaw_Restaurant_Boodle.jpg?w=1024&ssl=1

We're gonna eat with our hands!

@pronterus Wow! This looks delicious.
  • Options
    ShadyboopShadyboop Posts: 6,751 Member
    Hello, everyone! First off, thank you very much for all the birthday greetings! Here's to another great year at the Writer's Lounge. :)

The best thing there is that you share XD
    I prefer Shade than Shady
  • Options
    pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    Shadyboop wrote: »

For me it's more like I get to eat with my hands :lol:
  • Options
    ShadyboopShadyboop Posts: 6,751 Member

Because eating with your hands is better than eating with spoon and fork XD
    I prefer Shade than Shady
  • Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member

Because eating with your hands is better than eating with spoon and fork XD

I have to agree with you there. :joy:
  • Options
    ElesmeraElesmera Posts: 556 Member
    Hello, I don't know if this is entirely of the topic of this thread (If it is please let me know and I'll remove my comment), but I'm considering writing a story and I was wondering if any of you would like to give some advice as to what you wish you knew before you started writing simlit stories.
  • Options
    LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    Acarb90 wrote: »
    Never been there. That would be the reason for going.

Tip from someone that lives in NYC: Just take the staten island ferry to see the statue for free xD

Also, Hi everyone! I feel like I've been MIA forever. I'm still working on my new story, but school scenes are really hard to create :(

I doubt I could ever afford to go.

did you forget you told me just 2 hours ago you went already? :p
    Never been there. That would be the reason for going.

@friendsfan367 did you forget I told you I didn’t go? :grimace:
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Happy happy birthday @pronterus and @divanthesimmer ! :)
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Hey everyone, I'm all moved into my new home. When they moved my piano in yesterday, for some reason, it all sunk in and it really felt like home. That and when I brought the kitty over. She was uber curious and attentive but then meowed most of the night. Well at least it seems like she did when I woke up once or twice.

It felt good to sleep on my own bed again with a brand new frame. :) So much better back support than the bed I've been sleeping on for the last two weeks at the in laws. With all the climbing up and down stairs, lifting, walking, and moving, my arms and legs are feeling great too! Now if only I could keep up a good exercise routine. :#

I'm hoping to get my desktop set up today and maybe I'll actually get some Simming in this weekend. I took tomorrow off to settle in. My kitchen is moderately set up. One bookcase in the living room. My bathrooms. Cat stuff, of course. It's so good to be home. :blush:

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Elesmera wrote: »
    Hello, I don't know if this is entirely of the topic of this thread (If it is please let me know and I'll remove my comment), but I'm considering writing a story and I was wondering if any of you would like to give some advice as to what you wish you knew before you started writing simlit stories.

Hey @Elesmera, welcome. I don't know if I've seen you before. I'd say the biggest thing I wish I knew before starting is gaining readers take time. And to not be discouraged if you don't have many readers. It's ok to write for you. Feel good about what you accomplish and don't get hung up on stats. And secondly, if you want readers, be a reader. Read other pepoles' stories and comment, and interact with writers and readers in the forums. It's nice to appreciate others and to be appreciated in return.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »
    And... because of Timezones, it's already Sept 16 where some people live, and because I'm about to disappear into ESO for a while...

Here's happy birthday to our two Sept. 16 birthday folk! @divanthesimmer and @pronterus Happy day! :) Thank you for giving us your awesome stories! :)

divan.png

pronterus18.png

Habadu guys XD

cog says thats happy birthday is it? you weren't here .

If I say it whenever it's someone's birthday, then what did you expect?

well i had to check cause you say it not him. plus i can't spellit so i can't look it up. sorry if i upset you. and i'm a little depressed there was a show on about travel. i love staycations but it just reminded me i can't go anywhere.

I enjoy staycations too. If you could travel, where you wanna go?

new york. mom was mean and left me home.

NY is too busy for my taste. I want to go back to Colorado. If I did visit NY tho, I would want to see the Statue of Liberty.

Colorado is my home state as of now. It's beautiful. Good year round weather. Gorgeous landscapes. Plenty of sunshine. Seasons. Mountains. Geeat hiking options. Loads of things to do. Economy is booming. And my friends are here, plus the in-laws and one of my sisters. I can't imagine living anywhere else. :) I used to vacation here as a kid since my grandparents grew up here, so I've got roots here too, which makes it feel more homey. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    TheAemaSimmingTheAemaSimming Posts: 2,684 Member

@Elesmera First of all, hey welcome to the lounge (if it your first time) and second here there's really not a topic off limits unless it makes people uncomfortable. We talk about a lot of different things here including writing simlit. It's kinda like a writers hangout.

I agree with @AdamsEve1231 but also...One thing I wish I knew is it's OK to take breaks if you need them. Writing should never feel like a HAVE TO because that's when it's not enjoyable for you or the readers.
  • Options
    ElesmeraElesmera Posts: 556 Member
    Hey @Elesmera, welcome. I don't know if I've seen you before. I'd say the biggest thing I wish I knew before starting is gaining readers take time. And to not be discouraged if you don't have many readers. It's ok to write for you. Feel good about what you accomplish and don't get hung up on stats. And secondly, if you want readers, be a reader. Read other pepoles' stories and comment, and interact with writers and readers in the forums. It's nice to appreciate others and to be appreciated in return.

@AdamsEve1231 Thank you, I was here for a very short while in 2016, but life happened and I didn't have time for a lot of things for quite awhile. Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it.

@Elesmera First of all, hey welcome to the lounge (if it your first time) and second here there's really not a topic off limits unless it makes people uncomfortable. We talk about a lot of different things here including writing simlit. It's kinda like a writers hangout.

I agree with @AdamsEve1231 but also...One thing I wish I knew is it's OK to take breaks if you need them. Writing should never feel like a HAVE TO because that's when it's not enjoyable for you or the readers.

@TheAemaSimming Thank you, I wrote a story a few years ago and forced myself to continue writing it even though I felt it wasn't going the way I wanted it to and I felt that I owed it to myself to complete it (needless to say I never did for obvuse reasons), definitely not the best decision I made as I lost my love for writing all together, but luckily the writing bug has bit me once again and I feel I've learned a lot since then, so I'll definitely keep in mind not to force myself to write when I'm not in the mood for it. Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

I was going to say the same thing ! I always see writers apologizing when they take breaks. We need breaks now and then to tend to life, care for ourselves and others, explore other interests, and let the creative well fill up again !

When we can notice how we get fulfilled by our activities , writing included , it helps us flow with times of rest and productivity ! And when you're finding the joy in what you write , then that value is there even if only one or two others share the joy of reading your work .
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options

I'd also say to feel free to experiment and try different approaches . There's no one way to write SimLit , and a lot of us write in different styles and mix in a lot of approaches to game play and writing . It's fun to invent new approaches , too!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Hey everyone, I'm all moved into my new home. When they moved my piano in yesterday, for some reason, it all sunk in and it really felt like home. That and when I brought the kitty over. She was uber curious and attentive but then meowed most of the night. Well at least it seems like she did when I woke up once or twice.

It felt good to sleep on my own bed again with a brand new frame. :) So much better back support than the bed I've been sleeping on for the last two weeks at the in laws. With all the climbing up and down stairs, lifting, walking, and moving, my arms and legs are feeling great too! Now if only I could keep up a good exercise routine. :#

I'm hoping to get my desktop set up today and maybe I'll actually get some Simming in this weekend. I took tomorrow off to settle in. My kitchen is moderately set up. One bookcase in the living room. My bathrooms. Cat stuff, of course. It's so good to be home. :blush:

So excited for you ! Congratulations ! I'll chat more later with you ! It's such a huge and lovely accomplishment !

• Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

hello i'm being a bad cohost today. i've been inlurk mode because my mouse batteries keep threating to die since yesterday i think their bluffing. they still work.

i take breaks but my story is a rewrite . the breaks do help but i work wekends which doesn't. actually i take that back my job is one of those i can do this in my sleep things so often my mind wanders just last week i was doing that and my coworker startled me.
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

I'd also say to feel free to experiment and try different approaches . There's no one way to write SimLit , and a lot of us write in different styles and mix in a lot of approaches to game play and writing . It's fun to invent new approaches , too!

and sometimes the sims themselves tell you where they want to go with the story.
  • Options
    rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member

Expect to do research.

Lots and lots of research.

And some of the time it's for the most trivial things that barely play a part in the story.
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • Options
    divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    Thank you so much for the birthday wishes, @CathyTea & everyone else! I turned 21 today, although it's not such a big deal here in South Africa, since you can do pretty much everything adult-related at 18, but I feel 21 is the more "mature" age (although I still have a lot of growing up to do, lol). My parents spoilt me rotten this whole weekend and I just love them so much. Anyway, I couldn't keep up with my legacy and I'm going to start over with my simself and my dog's simself, but luckily I feel more motivated and prepared to do it this time. I'll post the link to it once I've started writing, but first I need to sort out my one saved game...😃
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    What is the job someone should get if they never had a "real" job before? (not counting delivering catalogues or walking dogs)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    What is the job someone should get if they never had a "real" job before? (not counting delivering catalogues or walking dogs)

I notice a lot of teenagers to adults start out in some sort of retail or fast food job until they find a career to go into.
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
  • Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member

Hiya, welcome to the forums! :)
    One thing I knew, but I wish I understood, is that there's no pressure when writing simlit stories- you can write what you want, however you want. It's a free expressive space. The only pressure you get is the standards you set for yourself.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    edited September 2018
    @LegacySims2017 most retail jobs (and fast-food jobs) I seen require you to work a POS (Point of Sale) system. For some reasons my parents wouldn't let me try it (something to do with not good at math?). I know 2 quarters=50c and something like 4 quarters=$1.00. Maybe it's the change and or sale's stuff that might be more tricky for me. Even though mom and I have done practice stuff a couple of times when on transit. something that cost $40.00 but it's 20% off would be $20.00? and if it was 10% off it would be $30.00?

see how bad I am?

apparently it's $20.00 if it's 50% off.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Hey everyone! How's it going? Currently thinking about which story to finish a chapter of next. Well, after PTLT. I think PTLT should be done erm, Tuesday if I work hard enough. Then I don't know.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top