Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I don't get it...

Why are my pets always in a bad mood for something that they have access to? I ask them "what's wrong" and the cats and dogs alike want food...when there is THREE bowls of food (and no routing issues). My cats do the same thing for the litter. The litter is there and accessible. My pets are "red" more than half of the time. It seems like it doesn't matter since they can't die. But it's annoying.

Comments

• Options
    tiffrenee07tiffrenee07 Posts: 682 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    Why are my pets always in a bad mood for something that they have access to? I ask them "what's wrong" and the cats and dogs alike want food...when there is THREE bowls of food (and no routing issues). My cats do the same thing for the litter. The litter is there and accessible. My pets are "red" more than half of the time. It seems like it doesn't matter since they can't die. But it's annoying.

Oh I get this all the time too. If I have time, I usually have a sim call them to the bowl or I ignore it. My Sims have 14 kids, 6 of them living in the house, full time jobs and a vet clinic, we're kind of busy lol
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Welcome to the Cats & Dogs EP.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    It should definitely be patched. I get the same. I also wish dogs would not be dirty so easily, way too often they are dirty when entering a new house. Ig they get dirty from game play that's fine, but I hate entering houses with pets because I know I will need to give the dog a bath and take it to the vet, before I can play normally.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    edited September 2018
    double
    Post edited by Simmerville on
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    LadyTigressLadyTigress Posts: 183 Member
    I dont see the issue, what annoys me is the bushes you can buy where you can nap and such they are a regular health hazard to pets, more often than not a pet jumps into one and comes out sick. Also the fact that you cant bathe a cat, I know cats are said not to like water, but its annoying to have a cat running around stinking up the place after bein sprayed by a skunk and you can do nothign
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,603 Member
    This was why I wanted pets to be controllable to a certain extent. I just knew this kinda autonomous simulation is gonna be a problem. *rolls eyes*
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Kim5496Kim5496 Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited September 2018
    I completely gave up on having pets in my main households because of this. They are so much work because you have to constantly call them to eat and I didn't even know what to do with cats because you can't call them to use the litter box. :/
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    edited September 2018
    I can see how that would be a problem. Especially in a large household. I follow a schedule similar to how I feed my real dog. Walk in the am to take care of business, put down food, call her to eat. Put down food in the early pm, call her to eat. Send her out to take care of business about an hour later.

ETA: I only get the distressed pet moodlet if the food bowl is empty.
  • Options
    Kim5496 wrote: »
    I completely gave up on having pets in my main households because of this. They are so much work because you have to constantly call them to eat and I didn't even know what to do with cats because you can't call them to use the litter box. :/

Agree. The cat litterbox thing is killing me. I wish they made an option to call the cat to use the litterbox. :\
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    My game tells me I have to train them to eat on their own.
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    Good to know I'm not the only one. My pets are ALWAYS dirty. Really. Everytime I travel and come back, they are dirty (or sick). Need to bath them at least 2 - 3 times a day and go to the pets hospital 2 - 3 times a week... :(. Really annoying.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Options
    My game tells me I have to train them to eat on their own.

What? How does it tell you that?
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I’ve been experiencing this a lot more lately, the best we can do is wait for this stuff to be fixed eventually, who knows when that will be though.
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited September 2018
    When my sims’ cat can’t find his food I have them call him to eat. Wish I didn’t have to since he should always be able find it himself and it kind of kills the realism, but oh well. There’s more of a problem with the litter box as you can’t instruct them to use it. So the cat will be standing across the room from it complaining that he wants a “nice clean litterbox” when it is literally right there.

Unfortunately, I doubt that they are ever going to fix this. I don’t even know if it’s a bug as everyone has it. Maybe it’s intentional for some reason?
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited September 2018
    I know a lot of people have this problem, but there is only 26 “me toos” on the AHQ report about this.

If you are having this issue, I suggest you add a comment or me too to the thread below. They might fix it if they get enough complaints and they do not look on here for bugs anymore, I think.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-CD-Pets-won-t-eat-unless-they-re-told-to/m-p/7032568#M72160
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    @DeKay When asking your pet what's wrong a notification appears telling you the cat or dog is hungry and we need to teach them to eat on their own. Which makes no sense at all once a pet is an adult. What adult pet doesn't know how to eat on its own? The most annoying thing about having a cat in the game is having to buy a new litterbox every few Sim weeks. Even the poop zapping one has a glitch and the cats won't use it after a while. Once I purchase a new one the kitty jumps in and takes care of business.

@LadyTigress The only way to get rid of the skunk smell on your cat is to spend hours, and I mean hours, brushing the kitty until the smell is gone. It takes a lot of time. And I rid my worlds of all those bathroom/woohoo bushes months ago after spending a ton of Simoleans at the vet's office because of my dogs being sick all the time. Between those bushes and the leaf piles, I was about to pull my hair out until I banished the bushes and found a mod for the leaf pile.

@Busufu I play rotationally and was having the same problem you're experiencing. It drove me nuts. Yakfarm on Mod The Sims has a mod up that refills pet needs automatically. I don't use it because I use MCCC and it has a setting that lets you slow the decay of pet needs or turn it off completely. I set mine to half the time it takes for needs to decay and all my fur babies in the game are fine now when I come back from playing another household for a few Sim days.

But even though they're a hassle to deal with and we have to find workarounds because of some questionable coding, pets are still fun to have in the game. With a couple of mods and changing out those woohoo bushes and replacing them with a nice tree or flowers, things have calmed down considerably. It's a shame my mods folder is growing with every new pack or patch that comes our way, though. I promised myself I would keep the number of game mods at twenty but I passed that amount weeks ago because of all the things that annoy me or make no sense are too blatant and senseless to put up with any longer. It's the Sims, what else is there to say? I have been modding my game since the beginning of the Sims and it's just how it has to be I guess. After nearly two decades of playing the Sims, it has become normal to resort to using a mod to eradicate glitches and annoyances so I just suck it up and go with it.

• Options
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    DeKay When asking your pet what's wrong a notification appears telling you the cat or dog is hungry and we need to teach them to eat on their own. Which makes no sense at all once a pet is an adult. What adult pet doesn't know how to eat on its own? The most annoying thing about having a cat in the game is having to buy a new litterbox every few Sim weeks. Even the poop zapping one has a glitch and the cats won't use it after a while. Once I purchase a new one the kitty jumps in and takes care of business.

Oh is it? :D I always just see the "XX is hungry!" And something along the lines of how I should feed him but it didn't say anything about training. This is for a kitten too.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    DeKay When asking your pet what's wrong a notification appears telling you the cat or dog is hungry and we need to teach them to eat on their own. Which makes no sense at all once a pet is an adult. What adult pet doesn't know how to eat on its own? The most annoying thing about having a cat in the game is having to buy a new litterbox every few Sim weeks. Even the poop zapping one has a glitch and the cats won't use it after a while. Once I purchase a new one the kitty jumps in and takes care of business.

Oh is it? :D I always just see the "XX is hungry!" And something along the lines of how I should feed him but it didn't say anything about training. This is for a kitten too.

Hmmm... can't say I've ever seen a training reference for eating either. It just says they're hungry and to feed them.

I find they generally do better with the normal bowls of food. The auto filling one hardly gets touched unless you call them to eat, but they often eat by themselves with the standard bowls. With cats and kittens, I just ignore their pee need and they eventually use the litter box by themselves.
  • Options
    PlumDiddyPlumDiddy Posts: 551 Member
    So far as the "dirty dog" bug, with testingcheats on, shift click on the pet>cheat needs>make happy
    And hes instantly clean again. I usually dont use cheats in my gameplay but it gets annoying having to bathe the dog everytime you return home from another lot.
  • Options
    TrashDeBluncTrashDeBlunc Posts: 85 Member
    @PlumDiddy bless you, I haven't played my legacy game in ages even though it's an exciting time with new heirs, purely, PURELY because I could not handle all the dogs (breeding them was a mistake) constantly being dirty!
  • Options
    PlumDiddyPlumDiddy Posts: 551 Member
    @PlumDiddy bless you, I haven't played my legacy game in ages even though it's an exciting time with new heirs, purely, PURELY because I could not handle all the dogs (breeding them was a mistake) constantly being dirty!

Awesome!! Hope this helps you get right back into your game :)
  • Options
    tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »

Cats are very particular about their litter boxes. Even an automatic litter box has to be changed every so often and since there is no way of changing the little in the litter boxes, I have to delete the old one and get a new one.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    @DeKay When asking your pet what's wrong a notification appears telling you the cat or dog is hungry and we need to teach them to eat on their own. Which makes no sense at all once a pet is an adult. What adult pet doesn't know how to eat on its own? The most annoying thing about having a cat in the game is having to buy a new litterbox every few Sim weeks. Even the poop zapping one has a glitch and the cats won't use it after a while. Once I purchase a new one the kitty jumps in and takes care of business.

@LadyTigress The only way to get rid of the skunk smell on your cat is to spend hours, and I mean hours, brushing the kitty until the smell is gone. It takes a lot of time. And I rid my worlds of all those bathroom/woohoo bushes months ago after spending a ton of Simoleans at the vet's office because of my dogs being sick all the time. Between those bushes and the leaf piles, I was about to pull my hair out until I banished the bushes and found a mod for the leaf pile.

@Busufu I play rotationally and was having the same problem you're experiencing. It drove me nuts. Yakfarm on Mod The Sims has a mod up that refills pet needs automatically. I don't use it because I use MCCC and it has a setting that lets you slow the decay of pet needs or turn it off completely. I set mine to half the time it takes for needs to decay and all my fur babies in the game are fine now when I come back from playing another household for a few Sim days.

But even though they're a hassle to deal with and we have to find workarounds because of some questionable coding, pets are still fun to have in the game. With a couple of mods and changing out those woohoo bushes and replacing them with a nice tree or flowers, things have calmed down considerably. It's a shame my mods folder is growing with every new pack or patch that comes our way, though. I promised myself I would keep the number of game mods at twenty but I passed that amount weeks ago because of all the things that annoy me or make no sense are too blatant and senseless to put up with any longer. It's the Sims, what else is there to say? I have been modding my game since the beginning of the Sims and it's just how it has to be I guess. After nearly two decades of playing the Sims, it has become normal to resort to using a mod to eradicate glitches and annoyances so I just suck it up and go with it.

You shouldn't have to buy a new litter box but all the litter boxes except one (that laser-zaps the poop) do require cleaning/emptying every so often. Once the litter box is clean they'll stop complaining. After a while, they learn where the litter box and food bowls are, but you'll still get the reminders if the food bowl is empty (I use the one that autofills the bowl but that also needs to be refilled occasionally) or the litter box needs cleaning.

I pretty much don't have pets in my households unless it's a small household (single Sim or maybe a couple) that doesn't have many outside interests, especially for dogs unless they have the Independent trait. And I don't use the "PooHoo" bushes on my residential lots, just community lots or the ones out in the wild in Windenburg (I haven't had a Sim with a pet in Windenburg yet -- I might be moving one of my Sims there soon so I can see if the bushes are an issue for my Sim animals). (And where in MCCC is the Pet Needs Decay setting? I use the Sim one just to make my family a little easier to cope with, especially larger families where I don't have a stay at home parent otherwise I end up with everyone starving and needing to pee all at once.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    damagedlostbrokendamagedlostbroken Posts: 293 Member
    @stilljustme2 , I just installed MCCC yesterday so I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the pet needs setting is where the Sims need settings are. I believe it's a few ticks underneath the Sims settings. :)
  • Options
    damagedlostbrokendamagedlostbroken Posts: 293 Member
    Hi again, @stilljustme2 ! I am playing the game so I decided to get you the correct path to the pets needs decay. Click on a computer-->MCCC Settings-->Gameplay Settings-->Motive decay. From there you can set the decay levels for Sims, dogs and cats.