Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Walls help

Comments

• Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    It looks really good! I got perspective from the bridge way down there. :D

The flat areas are for lots?

Yay ^^
    Haha yeah I wanted the mountains to be mostly for the aesthetics and be big and visible from all over in the world. Naturally only 2 of those will be used.

Yup, the very top one so far is for lots, just need to figure out what exactly I want to put where. Then another mountain will have winter resort and a trail.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    @Rflong7

Do you possibly have any idea why this happening?

The darker grass, that I really like, has a weird effect on any paint put on top of it.

Here you can see I used the same brush and did a circle. It just makes it hard to properly transition between paints.

CCGVjoi.jpg

Edit: For whatever reason, after I posted this I switched between some paints to see I can do it all on the lighter one and then it transfers perfectly to the dark one. Turns out, the dark one suddenly works normally XD

Another edit, It broke again and now only the textures below that one show up properly

gpnKMZa.jpg

I'm at this point considering deleting that level and hoping a new one fixes it.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited July 2018
    When you say below that layer... You mean from the top of the list down?

When using the terrain paint, the top is the bottom. The fist paint listed is the lowest layer and each layer you add is added to the top of them.
    So, when you say one layer doesn't show as well is it under another paint? Some paints will take more Paint to show through a paint above it.

Don't think of the first paint as being on top... it's backaways- like layers of paint on a wall: First on will be covered by the next paint over it.

**If you go lower in the paint layers it will take more paint to bring it to the top. You can remove some top layers to bring up the lower layers.
    Watch you layers per chunk, also.
  • Options
    When you say below that layer... You mean from the top of the list down?

When using the terrain paint, the top is the bottom. The fist paint listed is the lowest layer and each layer you add is added to the top of them.
    So, when you say one layer doesn't show as well is it under another paint? Some paints will take more Paint to show through a paint above it.

Don't think of the first paint as being on top... it's backaways- like layers of paint on a wall: First on will be covered by the next paint over it.

**If you go lower in the paint layers it will take more paint to bring it to the top. You can remove some top layers to bring up the lower layers.
    Watch you layers per chunk, also.

I meant below as in on the list bur as per your explanation it would be the paint below that layer that is not showing up. My problem is that it seems to go from patches of paint to full opacity. There is subtle blending it just paints in chunks and then it goes to full opacity, It isn't blending well with anything at all.
  • Options
    Here is what I mean with it not blending well

S9qIynE.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Some paints are actually stronger than others. Sand can be strong and takes just a little to make it blend. Each paint is not the same. You can't blend from the lower paint, it has to be the top paint starting low in Opacity to blend over another.
    If you try blending with a lower level paint it just makes it more blotchy (because it removes paint, it doesn't blend) but it gives it a great look for some areas.

One paints opacity isn't the same as another... To me that looks like the paint is removing layers to show. Blend with the top layer. :)

**It would be best if you expanded your paint layers for me so I could see it better. :)
    **Right above the Brush area is a point where you can grab and lower to expand and show the paint layers. :)
  • Options
    @Rflong7

So i'm guessing I'm going to have to blend the paints I want to and then add the grass and blend it with that?
    I haven't touched the world for about a week because the blending was so frustrating

I expanded it and took a picture of all the layers

l4WvSu7.jpg

ZoyzR6H.jpg

ickRtKx.jpg

1fJDcLn.jpg

49E5BaF.jpg

zzWzX5v.jpg
  • Options
    Okay, by looking at your layers, you should put down your rock (layer 6) and then blend around with the darker grass- (layer 9/mountain grass). If you already have the grasses down, you'll have to use stronger opacity for the rocks to bring it up.
  • Options
    Okay, by looking at your layers, you should put down your rock (layer 6) and then blend around with the darker grass- (layer 9/mountain grass). If you already have the grasses down, you'll have to use stronger opacity for the rocks to bring it up.

Thank you.
    I already have the grass down but I'll remove it. I don't like the look the other way gives for most areas even on full opacity it still does that weird thing XD.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Is that rock from EA or a custom made?

*Your next world, you can think about what paints you want to use and think of layer order- such as Rocks at the bottom, dirt, sand, crops, grass, water, snow- that kind of thing. Plus, test some paints to find which work best in what layers.

You can always export the layer png (like the land map), delete the paint layer if it's too low, and then add it again (which will make it higher in order) then import the paint map (if you have some areas you want to keep. Just remember if you import the paint overlay it might be stronger because it's higher in order. :)

You can test it with a Save as copy of your world then delete that test after you're done.
  • Options
    Is that rock from EA or a custom made?

*Your next world, you can think about what paints you want to use and think of layer order- such as Rocks at the bottom, dirt, sand, crops, grass, water, snow- that kind of thing. Plus, test some paints to find which work best in what layers.

You can always export the layer png (like the land map), delete the paint layer if it's too low, and then add it again (which will make it higher in order) then import the paint map (if you have some areas you want to keep. Just remember if you import the paint overlay it might be stronger because it's higher in order. :)

You can test it with a Save as copy of your world then delete that test after you're done.

All the paints I'm using is from EA worlds.

Yeah, I wish I knew beforehand then I would've chosen all the paints and put the in order lol.

Thanks, I might try that but I have a history of breaking everything I touch hahah XD.
  • Options
    That's why you use a back up copy- even an older copy- rename it and you won't get confused.
  • Options
    That's why you use a back up copy- even an older copy- rename it and you won't get confused.

Will do. ^^
  • Options
    Yay~ Show no fear! :D

I think it's Right Click on the paint layer to get the option to export that layer- then you can delete it, add it to the new higher layer, then import the layer- to see how it looks (if there's paint used). :)
  • Options
    @Rflong7

The first one didn't work because I'm cursed. I exported it and when I wanted to import it, it was gone. I made a folder for them after that.

I think it looks the same

Before
    Oui3aSL.jpg

After
    HxEmqCz.jpg
  • Options
    Was that the area you were having problems with? Did you try it for the blending? I thought it was blending and not just cover.... Was it not working there before?
    I mean, that wasn't the problem before, was it?

• Options
    Was that the area you were having problems with? Did you try it for the blending? I thought it was blending and not just cover.... Was it not working there before?
    I mean, that wasn't the problem before, was it?

Nope it wasn't over there. Ugh I should've tested it on the other area where I have problems lmao

But at least the paint didn't get darker or anything. I did blend a little on another spot and it worked but not on the mountain side XD.

I'll probably have to check that tomorrow
  • Options
    It should only cover blend... use it lightly and go over where you want it darker. It's easier to blend lightly and add a little more to where you want it darker with the top layer paint. It won't blend with one swipe or just a few. :)
  • Options
    It should only cover blend... use it lightly and go over where you want it darker. It's easier to blend lightly and add a little more to where you want it darker with the top layer paint. It won't blend with one swipe or just a few. :)

That's what I've been doing ^^. At least I hope I have XD
  • Options
    Lol~ Sorry! :cookie:
  • Options
    Lol~ Sorry! :cookie:

Haha it's cool. The picture I showed was after one of the layers permanently disappeared haha.

And extra advice is always appreciated :cookie:
  • Options
    @Rflong7
    Unfortunately I don't think it'll work. I guess I'll just have to put my paints down from bottom upwards. I've tried really hard to prevent the rock textures from repeating too much by using different ones and I quite like the look. By moving the layer up it just got rid of everything else XD

So after writing this I've moved up almost all of the layers and it seems that is the trick. Duh XD

I think I did something out of order so I guess I'll do it again and make sure to do it in order this time so I can get my mountain Grass at the bottom.
    Before
    n65rm3a.jpg

After first layer
    4LGKEiw.jpg

After all layers used.
    oXunhIj.jpg

Before
    YuKXTFi.jpg

After first layer
    vuVl6mt.jpg

After all layers used.
    e6oeAO6.jpg

Before
    mK1p0IA.jpg

After first layer
    KHy3f3s.jpg

After all layers used.
    baIYQBZ.jpg

The base rock layer is clearly coming through way to strong but I think I might have messed up the order, hopefully.

Also, how does my painting/ blending look?
    Any tips? ^^
  • Options
    I think it looks Awesome! It shows texture and transition in the areas. :+1:

I'm just wondering, how many paint layers do you have and are you keeping an eye on the paints per chunks? 8 is the best for performance but a few with 9 I think won't be too bad.
  • Options
    I think it looks Awesome! It shows texture and transition in the areas. :+1:

I'm just wondering, how many paint layers do you have and are you keeping an eye on the paints per chunks? 8 is the best for performance but a few with 9 I think won't be too bad.

Yay.

I actually have XD. I haven't used more than 8 layers per chunk, I believe o. O
  • Options
    Hi :mrgreen:

How's it going? :cookie: