Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Walls help

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited May 2018
    The trick with trees- turn on the Grid and grab them (they clump by chunk) and give it a small move (and then right to it's square). Any tree that is too high or too low because of the new sculpting will be snapped to the grid. One tree will be the main tree for that clump of trees. It will be the tree *with the move lines attached.
    It's a handy little trick for touch ups. :)

I don't mind giving any advice on Mountains. If it's needed. :)
    Post edited by Rflong7 on
  • MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    The trick with trees- turn on the Grid and grab them (they clump by chunk) and give it a small move (and then right to it's square). Any tree that is too high or too low because of the new sculpting will be snapped to the grid. One tree will be the main tree for that clump of trees. It will be the tree *with the move lines attached.

I might bug you for tips tomorrow, I have a medium build I've started on, I'm good with the overall look and have roughly 6 layers I'm flipping between for everything. My major hiccup at the moment is sims being able to use beaches to swim and scuba dive. The tiny first world I made the sims couldn't swim at the outer beaches but they could in the inland lake I had stocked with fresh water fish.

I'm another one inspired by your work.

@06Bon06 I really like what you did with the walls, and might be borrowing it. Although not a full square like you did.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member

I might bug you for tips tomorrow, I have a medium build I've started on, I'm good with the overall look and have roughly 6 layers I'm flipping between for everything. My major hiccup at the moment is sims being able to use beaches to swim and scuba dive. The tiny first world I made the sims couldn't swim at the outer beaches but they could in the inland lake I had stocked with fresh water fish.

@06Bon06 I really like what you did with the walls, and might be borrowing it. Although not a full square like you did.

Thanks ^^ I wanted the make it look like the military base was almost built on an artificial island of sorts.

06Bon06 I really like what you did with the walls, and might be borrowing it. Although not a full square like you did.

Hi :)

I would love to be able to help. I don't know why it wouldn't let them swim without pictures of the area but since they could in the lake, maybe it was just room and slope of the land. :)
    So here is the supernatural mountain area, This is the one I was wondering to redo with the hill tool.

I also dislike the jagged area in the middle. I want these mountains to be useable because I want to make a supernatural forest in front and the let it go up into the mountain. I also want to build somewhat of a ski resort on another. I can totally place roads her and flatten it but I think it looks too rough.
    1dXNz2D.png

i0bGgzi.jpg

wip, these hills

gHUyq0M.png

I actually do like this, I wanted the farming community to be a little seperated

Lrp7I0L.png
    This is what I want to achieve on the mountains
    x2HpX7Z.jpg
    edited June 2018
    So, you want the mountains usable and not like off in the distance...

I would make them one Hill... and then cut in some ravines and cut up some harder rocks areas. Keep it in height perspective. Sometimes you don't need the hills high because of the trees you'll add later.

Gently Slope it up and give it smaller levels- then let the Trees do more work- in my opinion. It will be easier to use the camera when playing and yet keep the Mountain look.

You can have a higher craggy mountain areas show where you don't want or need them to travel or where it will be seen yet out of the way. :)

And think about one side of the mountain slope will be more open for better camera movement when playing and yet have the mountain side.

@JULES1111
    OMG! It's Jules! I didn't even see your comment. It's a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it's not too overwhelming.

I will and I will tag you in it and make sure to post a million pictures so you hate me XD
    So, you want the mountains usable and not like off in the distance...

I would make them one Hill... and then cut in some ravines and cut up some harder rocks areas. Keep it in height perspective. Sometimes you don't need the hills high because of the trees you'll add later.

Gently Slope it up and give it smaller levels- then let the Trees do more work- in my opinion. It will be easier to use the camera when playing and yet keep the Mountain look.

You can have a higher craggy mountain areas show where you don't want or need them to travel or where it will be seen yet out of the way. :)

And think about one side of the mountain slope will be more open for better camera movement when playing and yet have the mountain side.

Thanks you so much for this. I actually want to build it on the edge of sorts so that the mountain is just on on side.
    edited June 2018
    @rflong, I am back for some feedback and judgement

My first attempt
    16mihau.jpg XD

16mihau.jpg

2nd attempt, I thought these looked pretty good from above but it looked awful from the front.

5WXXUiU.jpg

fyIcR9w.jpg

And where I am now

5EzGH9d.jpg

cVrmO43.jpg

They still look off to me but I'm not sure what to fix, when I make the valleys less deep it looks odd.
    Try not to smooth it too much. When you smooth the where you want some rough rock, it will look off.
    What you're trying to make is erosion. It will have some smooth grass on top but the erosion exposes the rocks and dirt under that grass. So, while you might want to smooth... only smooth where there might be grass. That's why I suggest using low strength but high falloff- both hill to take it up and valley to give it down- this will give it some texture to where rocks are. Then smooth a little where grass it.

Start out with a nice hill- gentle and at the angle you want- then use the valley tool to make some erosion lines.
    It will help if you try and paint it. Like a drawing, there's no detail without some color. imo. :)

I suggest removing the lots because you can see it's ripping and you'll have to correct it later. If you want to know where the lots are going so the land slopes from it, use the square paint of the lot size and mark where there will be lots. This way you can remove it later but still see where the lots will be. :)
    Try not to smooth it too much. When you smooth the where you want some rough rock, it will look off.
    What you're trying to make is erosion. It will have some smooth grass on top but the erosion exposes the rocks and dirt under that grass. So, while you might want to smooth... only smooth where there might be grass. That's why I suggest using low strength but high falloff- both hill to take it up and valley to give it down- this will give it some texture to where rocks are. Then smooth a little where grass it.

Start out with a nice hill- gentle and at the angle you want- then use the valley tool to make some erosion lines.
    It will help if you try and paint it. Like a drawing, there's no detail without some color. imo. :)

I suggest removing the lots because you can see it's ripping and you'll have to correct it later. If you want to know where the lots are going so the land slopes from it, use the square paint of the lot size and mark where there will be lots. This way you can remove it later but still see where the lots will be. :)

Thank you. So I should resist the urge of smoothing and try to keep it rough. I used the low strength high fall off method you suggested.

I will smoothen my hill and try again.

I placed the lots when I thought I was done but then I hated it XD and decided I'll delete and replace them later. Thanks for the paint tip.

Should all my erosion lines end up at the bottom?
  • MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »

Based on what I've seen in nature, erosion tends to sharp & jagged at the top/starting point, and gentle towards the base. If that helps any.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    06Bon06 wrote: »

Based on what I've seen in nature, erosion tends to sharp & jagged at the top/starting point, and gentle towards the base. If that helps any.

Thank you. ^^ I was looking at pictures a too. I will look at more and try to get it just right.
    edited June 2018
    I didn't touch the smoothing tool, I swear XD

EOg4S6z.jpg

That moment when you start thinking a flat world isn't that bad

k5A4bGE.jpg

yw6Ol2R.jpg

I made the valleys a little less valley but it still looks strange, it might be my paint job adding to it.

yW8BXHJ.jpg

All I know for sure is it look odd.
    edited June 2018
    Take 335567785

T4u7Gkc.jpg

BrV8bKh.jpg

Any tips?

Edit: I keep forgetting to remove the lots XD
    edited June 2018
    EOg4S6z.jpg

This picture- lower that strength to 3 with a smaller size- try 5- then use quicker movements. If you go slow it will cut deeper but you want to start out light cuts. You'll get the feel of how deep it cuts in and you can do some back work.

Not to fast, not to quick with the first movements.

* I haven't figured out how to get Fraps to show the controls and I still don't have a mic to use. :(

Post edited by Rflong7 on
    EOg4S6z.jpg

This picture- lower that strength to 3 with a smaller size- try 5- then use quicker movements. If you go slow it will cut deeper but you want to start out light cuts. You'll get the feel of how deep it cuts in and you can do some back work.

Not to fast, not to quick with the first movements.

* I haven't figured out how to get Fraps to show the controls and I still don't have a mic to use. :(

Thank you, I think I'm slowly improving or I am going crazy

4Esl7OS.jpg

How does this one look?

I think you'd just make the best tutorials
    edited June 2018
    It's better but I think you're thinking too big.

Here- slow and low. Best I could do without the right equitement. - for now.
    https://youtu.be/7P6o8cA6_Ek

The last cut I used the Sheer Cliff to give it an edge- like grass hanging over. As you see, when it's green it still looks funny. :)
    I just saw you added a video, thanks ^^

I did this with your instructions before knowing of the video

dhNfJFn.jpg
    Looks Better!- to me. Just remember, You don't want too much erosion unless it's going to be a more rundown place. A nice hill with a light erosion near the bottom and trees/bushes near the top is lovely, too. :)
    @Rflong7
    Thank you, I;m now trying to not make it as deep. Should I use the hill tool at all? Should I use the sheer cliff tool on this part because it's a slope from the city to the beachfront.

As for the paint, what do you recommend? Should I expose any rock? Because I don't think it being fully rock will look right on this area, but I will definitely do that near the military base.

Your video was great
    You can use the Sheer Cliff at a very low setting to give more of a ridge to your cuts, if you want. You don't actually have to use it. :)
    Hill can give some height to make them not all the same looking.

Maybe light dirt and sand. Sand can be used around a beach area... some rocks as objects, if you want. I like rocks but this is yours and you do what feels good to you. :)
    That's Awesome! It's a gradual change and blends well. How do you like it? :mrgreen: