Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So SimGurus decided to remove a bunch of cheats....

I read the latest announcement where the SimGurus decided to remove a bunch of cheats because the cheats were too dangerous to use. What I don't get is if those cheats were dangerous to begin with,why did the devs even post them in the first place? Why did they wait until now to remove those cheats?
Why do you hide inside these walls?

Comments

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2018
    Maybe in the first place they were there to help Modders? Some of them might then have been making mods that completely mess up the game and do a disservice to the trustworthy ones.

Perhaps it may lessen those "I can't play the game anymore" complaints on the Forum. :)
  • Options
    LiaRose1435LiaRose1435 Posts: 720 Member
    edited June 2018
    Nvm..
    Post edited by LiaRose1435 on
    Am I too lost to be saved?
    Am I too lost?
  • Options
    CarolinaCanCarolinaCan Posts: 116 Member
    edited June 2018
    they don't believe in creative freedom.

like the entire rest of the gaming industry now, they want you to have to play an extremely restrictive game in a very vanilla and controlling way while the "constant internet connection" requirement for the laggy spyware known as Origin is there to siphon all your personal information on your computer so they can sell you "targeted ads."
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member

like the entire rest of the gaming industry now, they want you to have to play an extremely restrictive game in a very vanilla and controlling way while the "constant internet connection" requirement for the laggy spyware known as Origin is there to siphon all your personal information on your computer so they can sell you "targeted ads."

lol
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    ReitannaReitanna Posts: 294 Member
    I use cheats constantly and have never experienced anything "dangerous." I seriously do believe they are limiting creative freedom, seeing as how they eliminated the color wheel from TS3, among other creative aspects.
    I'm so old, I remember when "hashtags" were called POUND SIGNS.

K7ZEXAi.png
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member

Except I never see ads on Origin?? :D Not to mention the fact that not only do mods exist still, but Sims 4 is the most mod-friendly the series has ever been so far, at least in terms of use. So yeah... very 'vanilla', lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    BelongtoLCMSBelongtoLCMS Posts: 125 Member
    [quote="TheGoodOldGamer;c-16575751"][quote="CarolinaCan;c-16575203"]they don't believe in creative freedom.

like the entire rest of the gaming industry now, they want you to have to play an extremely restrictive game in a very vanilla and controlling way while the "constant internet connection" requirement for the laggy spyware known as Origin is there to siphon all your personal information on your computer so they can sell you "targeted ads."[/quote]

Except I never see ads on Origin?? :D Not to mention the fact that not only do mods exist still, but Sims 4 is the most mod-friendly the series has ever been so far, at least in terms of use. So yeah... very 'vanilla', lol.[/quote]

But you can't download the game without origin. Personally, I want a sims version that actually works on Windows 10 with very little effort that does not require any online service to get it to work.
  • Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member

scK7zXg.jpg
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member

Except I never see ads on Origin?? :D Not to mention the fact that not only do mods exist still, but Sims 4 is the most mod-friendly the series has ever been so far, at least in terms of use. So yeah... very 'vanilla', lol.

But you can't download the game without origin. Personally, I want a sims version that actually works on Windows 10 with very little effort that does not require any online service to get it to work.

Eh, I don't see what in the world the big problem with Origin is, but... good luck on getting any future big game, Sims or otherwise, as offline-only. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm a single player type of person too, but these days you pretty much have to have Origin, or Steam, or U-Play, or <insert other store/service here>. I mean, there are a lot of good indie games that aren't always 'online', except you mostly find them through Steam, which is, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    The only one I will miss and hope to see back is resetSim. I don't use cheats in the game unless to fix a stuck sim, which isn't very often but definitely helpful since I may not have saved in a while. I wonder how that cheat could cause serious harm, not saying it wouldn't but curious if we could see it back.
    Some people flip the game upside down and break it leaving a mess they expect EA to fix, I can understand doing this. But if you are too upset about it, a modder has it available. I forgot what his name is, i'm terrible at names. Here he is.. http://modthesims.info/m/8991634 @TwistedMexi
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    If these cheats are so dangerous, why did they wait so long to remove them?

Anyone has an idea what could be the true reason for them taking out so many cheats? Because there must be some. I don't buy the "we don't want you to destroy your game" - please. We're not a bunch of children who need to be supervised. Everyone who uses testing cheats knows there's a certain risk to it, although when it comes to TS4 I'd say the chance something goes wrong is rather slim.

I just wish I knew why they're so hellbent on controlling the way people play this game.

What am I going to do now when I can't reset sims? They don't get "stuck" a lot like TS3 sims did but there are other issues where that cheat was necessary! Am I supposed to exit the game and load it up again whenever I encounter a problem?
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    I actually believe them that it took awhile to see what sorts of long-term damage these cheats could cause to the game. It sounds like they created problems they didn't notice until trying to fix certain bugged saves. It's like how TS2 had all sorts of built-in features that actually corrupted your game in the long run, but it took a long time of playing the game to see how that happened. One of the perks of the live service system is that they can take these things out of the game when they do catch them.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I do believe that they took it out because it was destroying people's games. And I'm just going to say that when I use testing cheats I don't expect to completely destroy my game to where I can't play anymore so I would expect a lot of people do too. And a lot of people are attached to their games so when they get destroyed I would imagine they would get very upset and the devs would probably want to avoid that since they're official cheats. Plus grant said it's very difficult for them to fix a problem or glitch when those cheats are used.

I also don't think they're trying to limit creative freedom cause it's literally not that hard to download a mod that does the same thing those cheats did. Plus if the mod breaks your game it's not official so you can't blame the sims team because they're always warnings that mods are third party.

I don't know if this makes any sense I'm bad at explaining stuff.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    agustd wrote: »
    What am I going to do now when I can't reset sims? They don't get "stuck" a lot like TS3 sims did but there are other issues where that cheat was necessary! Am I supposed to exit the game and load it up again whenever I encounter a problem?

Also reset sim was not one of the "dangerous" cheats removed. Grant said that they are working on putting it back. It was supposed to come in the last patch but they had to decide when to stop making fixes so they could release it. It's probably coming in the next patch.
  • Options
    And another thing, sorry for the multiple posts, grant posted all the cheats they removed. None seem recognizable to me.

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2018
    I read them it looked like some were good to know. Like force marriage. Remove Sickness. See all buffs. Remove full autonomy. Teleport instantly etc. I think some people would like those cheats. Especially relationship/ add score in case you didn't want a Sim culled if they didn't become your Sim's friend?..or needed them to be one? Wow, I guess that is what some of those did in this game. Bummer to know you can't help your own story lines in TS4.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2018

That time in gaming is pretty much over unless you play Indie games - and even a lot of Indie game makers are going through online services like Origin, Battle net, and Steam, etc. ( Look at FE, Ravel, and some of the other Indie games.)

Those days of gaming are pretty much done and old school. For a few years in small game studios you may encounter a few - but eventually all games will need to be played through a central online system of some sort. Read almost any pc mag or developers gaming mags and you will see - we will never go back to those days - in fact in a few more years I will be surprised if you will even be able to buy a game in a package or box even in consoles. Gaming goals are for ALL devices to connect to all games through some form of central service - period.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

Also reset sim was not one of the "dangerous" cheats removed. Grant said that they are working on putting it back. It was supposed to come in the last patch but they had to decide when to stop making fixes so they could release it. It's probably coming in the next patch.

That's great, thanks for the info!

If anyone's interested... I've played the same save since CL came out. Have been using testing cheats since the start. Not an awful lot of them, but some, especially remove.all.buffs, remove sickness, also the ones that let you modify households' funds and bills or instantly get a sim pregnant (for a while I had a glitch where none of my sims would get pregnant no matter how many times they tried for a baby)

I've only recently decided to move my played family to a brand new same but that was because the file was becoming too bloated and I figured after almost 2 years it was time for a fresh one. I didn't have any issues. My game didn't get "destroyed" and so far the only issues I had I was always able to trace back to broken mods and cc. Most bugs I had would get fixed with patches. I really don't think using testing cheats did any harm.

If the unwanted effects of testing cheats only appear after a long while of playing one save then I'm sure after nearly 2 years of sticking to one I'd have my game destroyed already.

• Options
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

That's great, thanks for the info!

If anyone's interested... I've played the same save since CL came out. Have been using testing cheats since the start. Not an awful lot of them, but some, especially remove.all.buffs, remove sickness, also the ones that let you modify households' funds and bills or instantly get a sim pregnant (for a while I had a glitch where none of my sims would get pregnant no matter how many times they tried for a baby)

I've only recently decided to move my played family to a brand new same but that was because the file was becoming too bloated and I figured after almost 2 years it was time for a fresh one. I didn't have any issues. My game didn't get "destroyed" and so far the only issues I had I was always able to trace back to broken mods and cc. Most bugs I had would get fixed with patches. I really don't think using testing cheats did any harm.

If the unwanted effects of testing cheats only appear after a long while of playing one save then I'm sure after nearly 2 years of sticking to one I'd have my game destroyed already.

I think it would have helped for players to tell developers what cheats they were using or had used when their games broke. That used to the second question after asking about custom content if ever and when.
  • Options

Eh, I don't see what in the world the big problem with Origin is, but... good luck on getting any future big game, Sims or otherwise, as offline-only. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm a single player type of person too, but these days you pretty much have to have Origin, or Steam, or U-Play, or <insert other store/service here>. I mean, there are a lot of good indie games that aren't always 'online', except you mostly find them through Steam, which is, lol.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/924402/origin-rant-fyi
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »

http://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/924402/origin-rant-fyi

It is a problem for those with mods but I don't have problems with it myself. It informs me that there is an update, installs itself and off I go. I always check for updates to any game I play from there every time and have sometimes been agreeably surprised to find that I am getting a free expansion pack for a game like Sims Medieval for example.

Becoming a Windows 10 Insider completely destroyed my freewill to go against the tide though!
  • Options
    waggymiley2013waggymiley2013 Posts: 239 Member
    Reset sims needs to come back. We shouldn't have to add mods to our vanilla game. How was reset sim dangerous for the game when you can still do the long way round by opening the cheat bar and typing resetsim firstname/secondname and boom sim is reset. How is adding Plant cheats not dangerous for the game.. it really doesn't make sense. I need the quick reset sim option back especially when sims are getting stuck while on a retail lot. I hate having to go using the typing side of the cheat for 8 sims. Its slow and frustrating and takes all the fun out of the game.
  • Options
    Fortnite has had some bad spam lately, maybe EA are getting frightened of giving too much code away. If you play Fortnite beware of "free V-Bucks"