Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I don't understand the new clothing system

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    I still don't see the point of the everyday category anymore then

Well sims are suppose to switch to their cold or hot clothing when going outside but their unfortuanly not changing back when going inside. The purpose of the cold and hot category is meant for outside.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Bearflex wrote: »
    I have the option of Sims being effected by weather turned off. I still gave them summer and winter outfits. They don't seem to change into their winter clothes when they go out in the cold. In a world where summer is the season they don't change into their hot weather clothes either.
    Is this because I have the option off (because I don't want them randomly freezing or over heating to death). If I enable that option will then change then--I turned it on but it didn't seem to make a difference. I haven't put a thermostat in the house because I don't have that option turned on--so if it's not on do I need to have the thermostat at all?
    Yep~

You need it on if you want them to bother changing into their winter or hot outfits. Since the weather doesn't bother them they'll just not wear them. Could just give them the new reward traits from the reward store to help in preventing that so you don't have to worry about them freezing to death.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Cassandra52182Cassandra52182 Posts: 525 Member
    There are 2 things with the system that are bothering me about it, and I'm not sure if they are both bugs or what. The first is that I set up hot and cold weather outfits for townies and yet when I see them around they're wearing random hot and cold clothes instead of the ones I set up for them. The other thing is that for some reason if I put makeup on a sim's hot and cold weather outfits, it will disappear when they wear the outfit and I have no idea why.
    yqCsdo8.gif
  • Options
    RassRass Posts: 29 Member
    It would be nice to hear from a dev how they meant it to be. Should they change from winter outfit to allday when going inside and the thermostat is on warm, and vice versa or not, and what about all the other situations that can happen?
  • Options
    NatKingSimNatKingSim Posts: 757 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    All we as the player have to do is to give them the choices, what they do on their own is change into the outfit. So if your sim is feeling a bit chilly they will choose to wear something a little warmer. Think of it this way, if it's early spring in real life, and you feel a bit on the chilly side, what would you be wearing?

To answer you question, since I also struggle with clothing my sims, I would certainly not wear the same warm jacket in early spring as I wear during for example January.

In my game yesterday, it was the middle of the spring, and they had one cold night and all of them auto-dressed into their warmest winter wear (ski pants and such). The biggest problem was that my sims were heading out to a party with a big group of friends and they all ended up dancing inside in their ski outfits for several hours (they never auto-dressed to party clothes or their usual clothes).

In my opinion, the team could have made four clothing categories: chilly, cold, warm and hot. It would take time for us to put together their outfits, but in the end it would save many of us a lot of frustration. And what about the rain and the water proof outfits... I won't even put it in writing.
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    edited June 2018
    I wish they would have replaced the everyday section withn the new hot & cold sections. I agree it gets a bit fuzzy when sims redress frequently on their own. Then, some times my sim would walk outside in the snow to get the mail - wearing only her sleepwear.

PS: In each of the cold and hot sections I created several outfits for my sims. Most of them are versions based on each other, say one outfit without a hat, and then another with hat and gloves. Then I can adjust the grade of warm/cold making it a tad less annoying.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I have the option of Sims being effected by weather turned off. I still gave them summer and winter outfits. They don't seem to change into their winter clothes when they go out in the cold. In a world where summer is the season they don't change into their hot weather clothes either.
    Is this because I have the option off (because I don't want them randomly freezing or over heating to death). If I enable that option will then change then--I turned it on but it didn't seem to make a difference. I haven't put a thermostat in the house because I don't have that option turned on--so if it's not on do I need to have the thermostat at all?

Is it one of those things that you have to turn off your game for and start again for it to work?
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2018
    Simburian wrote: »

Is it one of those things that you have to turn off your game for and start again for it to work?

If you have the effects of weather on sims turned off the AI is not notified for them to change clothing as they are not affected by the weather. So I would say that is why they do not change on their own.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    BeanfootBeanfoot Posts: 602 Member
    I think what bothers me the most, other than my sims never switching into their coldwear/hotwear autonomously, is that I go through all the trouble of making them a rainy day outfit, and they complain of being wet when they're clearly decked out in hat, raincoat, and galoshes.
  • Options
    yagwityagwit Posts: 118 Member
    I hope this isn't too old. Is there an update to them staying in winter wear all the time? If I don't change my sim, she stays in her coat 24/7. I'm most bothered by this when she is inside. I have the thermostat on.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    yagwit wrote: »
    I hope this isn't too old. Is there an update to them staying in winter wear all the time? If I don't change my sim, she stays in her coat 24/7. I'm most bothered by this when she is inside. I have the thermostat on.

I don't know but I would really love for a guru to talk about how and why they designed this new system the way they did it, what are bugs and what things are as intended, etc

As I said before I still wonder why they didn't do a rain-wear category and then allow us to mark the regular category outfits as warm, hot, or neutral however we like. Allowing us this way to have hot, cold, and neutral party outfits; hot, cold, and neutral pyjamas; and so on.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    NindlNindl Posts: 510 Member
    edited August 2018
    As I said before I still wonder why they didn't do a rain-wear category and then allow us to mark the regular category outfits as warm, hot, or neutral however we like. Allowing us this way to have hot, cold, and neutral party outfits; hot, cold, and neutral pyjamas; and so on.

That would be really cool!
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    Nindl wrote: »

That would be really cool!

That's exactly what I expected
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member

I don't know but I would really love for a guru to talk about how and why they designed this new system the way they did it, what are bugs and what things are as intended, etc

Well, it was probably thought that it would clutter the CAS categories too much...
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    simsdelamodesimsdelamode Posts: 33 Member
    Yeah. I heard its been a bit weird. My question is though why is there a hot/cold outfit category in the base game? (assuming one doesn't have seasons installed) That doesn't make sense...
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    Rae357 wrote: »
    My sims will change into their cold clothes when going outside and not change back when coming in, but sometimes they also don't change when going outside and they get cold. I've yet to see them get too hot even wearing their cold clothes in a room with a fireplace on. I turned my thermostat to cold when it was cold out and they got a negative moodlet, not one of freezing to death, even when wearing their cold clothes and warming up by the fire.

This is what annoys me the most, and @hmae123 said it too. If they go outside for a second to throw out the trash, get the mail, whatever...they change into their cold clothes and don't change back into their everyday wear once back inside the house.

YES, I do have my thermostat on and it's set to warm. @hmae123 also gave me a great idea to just use 4 slots of cold wear as everyday clothes and one slot for coats/hats if they are going to play in the snow.

I think it's just about manipulating all the clothing categories to get it how you want.

I wonder if TS4 works like TS2 where the doorways and doors were the problem area and Sims would fail to switch back into their everyday clothes (sometimes) if they had been outside or vice versa. I wonder what the trigger is to get them to change, which in TS2, as I said, it was an arch or door. Some of those had to be patched.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options

Well, it was probably thought that it would clutter the CAS categories too much...

It wouldn't clutter it since it would be one less category than now (only rainwear, not hot and cold). And the hot, neutral, and cold outfits would be part of the existing categories, it would just be a matter of checking a box or something to that effect.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    considering the number of people that still don't know you can have up to 5 outfits per category, i can see a lot of complaints on trying to figure out 'how and where to check these boxes off'

that said, i sort of do what you're suggesting. many of my sims have 3 'rainwear' outfits set up (which is kind of killing my creativity for outfit creation). one each in everyday, hot weather, and cold weather categories, to swap to depending on what the weather is like around the rain
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

It wouldn't clutter it since it would be one less category than now (only rainwear, not hot and cold). And the hot, neutral, and cold outfits would be part of the existing categories, it would just be a matter of checking a box or something to that effect.

Checking a box though is toggling something off or on - which as we already know this game does not aaccept toggles of any kind without breaking saves. So it explains why they had to make a new category from a preset list instead of allowing us to choose them. Perhaps they could only add 2 more categories without issue - and why we just got hot and cold pre-picked lists.

Lord knows it is easier to program new lists but not if the game itself has some kind of issue with it. It could be a limited within the smart technology - which is technology we never had in past sims games - and really there is not a lot of info in this new technology out there. Maybe eventually they will find a way around it - maybe not - I just know this has been an issue since Get to Work and they tried to allow us to turn on and off aliens - the game broke the saves - off and on is just toggle switches - and I suspect the devs never expected it would be an issue until it happened when they tried that. Since then everytime they have tried any kind of toggle on already out content there have been issues. So I am guessing it has to be something to do with the engines or AI's smart technology.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Checking a box though is toggling something off or on - which as we already know this game does not aaccept toggles of any kind without breaking saves. So it explains why they had to make a new category from a preset list instead of allowing us to choose them. Perhaps they could only add 2 more categories without issue - and why we just got hot and cold pre-picked lists.

Lord knows it is easier to program new lists but not if the game itself has some kind of issue with it. It could be a limited within the smart technology - which is technology we never had in past sims games - and really there is not a lot of info in this new technology out there. Maybe eventually they will find a way around it - maybe not - I just know this has been an issue since Get to Work and they tried to allow us to turn on and off aliens - the game broke the saves - off and on is just toggle switches - and I suspect the devs never expected it would be an issue until it happened when they tried that. Since then everytime they have tried any kind of toggle on already out content there have been issues. So I am guessing it has to be something to do with the engines or AI's smart technology.

They did it with the weather in Seasons tough. You can check a box to cancel strong weather effects or hot/cold waves but maybe that's different somehow, I don't know.
    If that is the case, it is a real shame. Toggles make everything so much better!
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    All we as the player have to do is to give them the choices, what they do on their own is change into the outfit. So if your sim is feeling a bit chilly they will choose to wear something a little warmer. Think of it this way, if it's early spring in real life, and you feel a bit on the chilly side, what would you be wearing?

this.

it makes perfect sense.

if I felt too hot, even in winter, I would wear t shirt. if I felt cold in the summer, I would wear a sweater.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    howudoinimdoingoodhowudoinimdoingood Posts: 1 New Member
    I don't have seasons, but I have the options for some reasons. Is it normal?
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I don't have seasons, but I have the options for some reasons. Is it normal?

Yes, the hot and cold clothing categories were added as part of the Seasons pre-expansion pack patch.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    I have the feeling that the system was not properly thought out. It makes no sense.

-There's no rain category that is a much more important one
    -The swimwear category not being "fresh" enough for a heatwave is ridiculous
    -Them keeping the hot or cold outfits inside the house I assume is a bug (?)
    -Wearing the cold outfit prevents you from being cold hence missing the whole point of weather and your sims getting relieved entering the house or having a hot drink
    -Same goes for the hot category
    -The everyday category now seems redundant or obsolete

Why not, for example, have us set in the already existing categories what we consider a cold or hot outfit? Having like that a pyjama for the summer, one for the winter and so on. And then have a new slot for rain.

I think even when wearing a cold outfit, they should still get cold after a while of being outside. Then for those who don't want that, they can purchase the reward trait against cold.

Edit to add: it is also messy and badly planned when it comes to jogging for example.

I always set up two sets of pajama & gym clothes; one for warm weather, and one for cooler or cold weather. I also change out the everyday once the weather turns. Mostly it's still cold in Spring and frigid in Winter. I've had a Sim go out in the warm weather dressed in his sweater and jeans. (Yes, I like that look and he wears it well.) But, not in the HEAT. The system is slightly borked and I do hope the Devs will sort it all out, sooner, rather than later.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/