Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Idea: New Worlds + Cultures (Japan example)

Sally1502Sally1502 Posts: 258 Member
edited June 2018 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
As I have seen some people suggesting an Asian themed world I started to think about how that could look like. I looked into Japan specifially and collected some ideas. I am by no means an expert regarding Japan or anything Asian at all. But I am interested in the culture, and think a Japanese inspired world could be fun.

I think adding more worlds from different continents, such as Asia or Africa or Australia, could be a possibility to introduce a CAS option of choosing a sims origin/ethnicity. Maybe they could have certain culture skills then (recipes, dances), a special way of greeting (like bowing or nodding instead of waving or shaking hands) and perhaps even new special traits. Other sims could learn those culture skills.
I am not sure if this would be difficult to add considering the worlds/cultures that are already in the game.

I imagined the world to be a home world and not a destination world. It should be a nice blend of housing area, town and nature.

tokyo_street_animation_by_arsenixc-db6kx27.gif

20140706-glasslip01-03.jpg

PLki6y1.jpg

Some things I thought would be nice:
  • food; sushi, ramen, tempura, mochi,...
  • traditional and modern hair & clothing
  • suiting furniture
  • animals; deer, monkey, red panda , raccoon dog
  • mythology
  • school uniform for kids and teens

Kiyomizu%20Temple%204.jpg

Nara%203.jpg

Sensoji%20temple%202.jpg

This idea could work with other world types, e.g. something African inspired, as well. I think it would be fun to have more diverse cultures implemented in The Sims 4. But I don't know if enough people would actually like to see worlds like that. I too am first and foremost for a nice beach or alpine world. Still - just sharing an idea that has been wandering around in my head. :smile:

Post edited by Sally1502 on

Comments

• Options
    ZaraZara Posts: 115 Member
    edited June 2018
    Yes. Yes to all of this.
    4 words: Sims 4 World Adventures. Make it happen, EA. :D

But no, I seriously love these ideas. EA sort of focused on cultural worlds in the City Living EP and the Jungle Adventures GP.

In San Myshuno, they beautifully incorporated different cultural aspects from the sim names and music to the clothes and food. As for Jungle Adventures, I fell in love with Selvadorada. Selvadorada is so rich with culture and I absolutely adored it. They need to do more :)
    I make profile pics and signatures for free. hmu if interested.
    kky9DsT.gif
  • Options
    Forgot to add, a Wakanda-based Sims world would be BEAUTIFUL
    WWT0020_v008_027999_1081.jpg
    kky9DsT.gif
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Sally1502 wrote: »
    Australia

We're not here for your entertainment.
    Imagine the most boring part of where you live. That's what australia is like, but with more snakes, spiders, and other things that might be cute, but will possibly kill you.

Most of the country looks like this:
    harsh-arid-zone-outback-australia-roxby-downs-mining-town-hour-drive-adelaide-south-lands-roxy-106246946.jpg

All of that red-brown-yellow-grey part looks like variations of the above pic
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnTYuEdU4g6tRGspbiGFjvA9PP-r4t4mu2gPjqOY6OYDspXsHX

If you're looking for somewhere interesting try Hobbiton New Zealand
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Zara wrote: »
    Forgot to add, a Wakanda-based Sims world would be BEAUTIFUL
    WWT0020_v008_027999_1081.jpg

This!!!
  • Options
    @Movotti
    I understand what you mean. But with an Australian inspired world I didn't mean a world consisting solely of outback but also city areas. I just wanted to mention the continents that have been rather neglected so far - New Zealand could be neat as well. :smile:
  • Options
    @Movotti
    I understand what you mean. But with an Australian inspired world I didn't mean a world consisting solely of outback but also city areas.
    *Squints with suspicion*

There's cities, and then there's cities
    New Zealand could be neat as well. :smile:
    I wouldn't call it 'neat'
    I'd call it freakin awesome!
    Especially if that forest that has sea lions in it included.

• Options
    NindlNindl Posts: 510 Member
    I really like the Japanese culture and world suggestions! The pictures look great, a Sims 4 world that looks like that would be beautiful and exciting, I think. I especially like the new animal suggestions and also the mythology part - new kinds of occults or creatures are always a welcome addition for me. Martial arts would be cool as well. I genereally like the idea of implementing new cultures a lot.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I think this idea is better as a vacation destination. I wouldn't want it as a world.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited June 2018
    catitude5 wrote: »
    I think this idea is better as a vacation destination. I wouldn't want it as a world.

I hate to say it, because I'm all about diversity, however, I tend to agree.

In a game where Sims can basically blink from one world to another, it's really hard to reconcile the differences. How can a Sim visit a desert town one moment, and later that day be in a place that looks like Japan?

That's part of the reason that I don't utilize all of the towns in the game. I mostly stick to San Myshuno, Willow Creek, Magnolia Promenade, and Newcrest. Because, it's possible to believe that those areas are within the same local area. Windenburg, Oasis Sprins, and Brindleton Bay are very different and so, I use those for "business trips" or vacations.

I would very much like to see a Japanese world, as pictured above. As well, I wish that we could have a Scandinavian world. However, I'm really trying to figure out how it will fit in the scheme of things.

My fondest wish is that EA made it possible for the players to Choose-Your-Own-World. We decide which worlds that we want to involve in our every day play and what's left over could be treated as vacation destinations. That would be the most equitable solution. In this way, non-American players would get a fair chance to create a world that feels most familiar to them.

Anyway, it was just a thought.

@Zara, I love your signature animation. I wish that's how gazing at the stars really looked. :)
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    San Myshuno is all the Asian I need. My game generated names of townies still haven’t fully recovered.
  • Options
    @Cynna
    I see what you mean. But you can always choose which worlds you go to. I'd want it to be a home world still, so I can actually play with a Japanese family in a Japanese town. Same would go for a Skandinavian world (nice suggestion!), an African one etc. It could let you play sims in completely new areas and various cultures. I have nothing against American worlds, but I think it would be nice to have something fresh and different too. Of course it would be strange to have it seem like your sims can basically walk from their American-ish Willow Creek to a Japanese inspired place - I agree with you here - but as it is, we can choose which worlds to visit with our sims when and how and like you mentioned, we can always pretend they go on "vacation". More diverse worlds to play and tell stories in, plus their respective cultures, would to me be an exciting and interesting new component for The Sims. :smile:
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @Cynna
    I see what you mean. But you can always choose which worlds you go to. I'd want it to be a home world still, so I can actually play with a Japanese family in a Japanese town. Same would go for a Skandinavian world (nice suggestion!), an African one etc. It could let you play sims in completely new areas and various cultures. I have nothing against American worlds, but I think it would be nice to have something fresh and different too. Of course it would be strange to have it seem like your sims can basically walk from their American-ish Willow Creek to a Japanese inspired place - I agree with you here - but as it is, we can choose which worlds to visit with our sims when and how and like you mentioned, we can always pretend they go on "vacation". More diverse worlds to play and tell stories in, plus their respective cultures, would to me be an exciting and interesting new component for The Sims. :smile:

Yeah, that's why I suggested letting us choose our residential worlds kind of...a la carte. (Actually, the word that I was looking for is modular.)That way, each player could choose which hoods they want to have as "local" and which they would prefer as destinations -- rather than have EA do it.

Right now, we can choose not to utilize certain worlds. However the residents of those worlds regularly visit anyway, as if they're locals.

If the game world were more modular, eventually, anyone from any country would be able to customize a world to play in that is as familiar or unfamiliar to them as they would like it to be. The game could become truly international.

I know that in addition to an America-based save, I would also choose Central American and another that was more Scandinavian in influence.

Yeah, I know the chance of this level of customization is probably zero. It would require that EA create many more worlds, of various cultures, and/or a CAW so that the community could do it. Still, sometimes, it's nice to dream of what this game could be. :)
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    @Cynna
    The possibility to choose and "arrange" your worlds like that would be ideal, yes.
    I know what you mean - I also sometimes feel like I am drifting into wishful thinking. But I agree, it's nice to dream of what they could make and who knows - maybe some things we wish to have in our game aren't as impossible or improbable as we initially thought. It would be so nice if they created more worlds of different cultures!
  • Options
    @Sally1502 Agreed. :)
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    TahabataTahabata Posts: 82 Member
    I commented in another post for the voting of a new urban city. I have given the following pictures:

tumblr_p6wg8efeyW1vm8ltno1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ohcfcv4I111vqvqeeo1_1280.jpg

F8594EBEB720E66D9E791493160FC46A6DF1D0F7

I hope it will inspire the creators. <3
    Wish list:
    - Cars, motorcycles, bycicles. (Detailed animations)
    - Wild Animals (Interactive)
    - Thief and Celebrity (Better and more active!)
    - Bands
    - Farming or Medieval EP
    - Cyberpunk or Asian GP
    - Beach.
  • Options
    giveit2megiveit2me Posts: 37 Member
    edited June 2018
    JA have own world and it just vacation spot. Why other cultures can't have own worlds???
    But i will prefer not vacation one, because i wish to live in those cultures, not just visit them.

I do not mind to have few packs about few different cultures, i prefer Europe and Asia.
    More types of worlds game have - more better and interesting it became.
    People who do not love something can skip it, but people who want it will be able to have it.

Japanese world is so different to what we have in sims now and there are no possibility to build it in game. Else it impossible to build many European countries or fantasy worlds or historical worlds. Because there are not so many options and settings, else there are limits and too much uncontrolled random options.
    This game is super limited. Why can't we want more options?

I love Japanese views in previews posts, wish to have such place in game.
    Guess it should be modern city with some historical and rural places around, there are should be mountain with small forest.

I do not have clear list of things what i want to have in Japanese world, any Japanese world will be nice for me if sims can live there, will try to make list. (☆▽☆)♥
    Post edited by giveit2me on
  • Options
    @Tahabata
    Nice. I would prefer, however, that if they make an Asian based world it would not solely be a big city type. A world with nature spots and a housing area as well (as pictured in my original post) would be better suitable for families and also more diversified, I think.
    Yes, hopefully they are listening. :smile:

@giveit2me
    I fully agree with you. I'd like to see a list!
  • Options
    @Cynna I agree with everything you said :) And thanks for the compliment. EA really needs to add more romantic animations lol
    kky9DsT.gif
  • Options
    TahabataTahabata Posts: 82 Member
    edited June 2018
    @Tahabata
    Nice. I would prefer, however, that if they make an Asian based world it would not solely be a big city type. A world with nature spots and a housing area as well (as pictured in my original post) would be better suitable for families and also more diversified, I think.
    Yes, hopefully they are listening. :smile:

I like both ideas! If they did either, I would be quite satisfied. If the tool to create a world came back, we could build many other Asian worlds to our liking. So I long for a Game pack based on Asian culture, with many beautiful objects of construction.

Wish list:
    - Cars, motorcycles, bycicles. (Detailed animations)
    - Wild Animals (Interactive)
    - Thief and Celebrity (Better and more active!)
    - Bands
    - Farming or Medieval EP
    - Cyberpunk or Asian GP
    - Beach.
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    @Movotti
    I understand what you mean. But with an Australian inspired world I didn't mean a world consisting solely of outback but also city areas. I just wanted to mention the continents that have been rather neglected so far - New Zealand could be neat as well. :smile:

You could include a tropical area with a coral reef based on Cairns.
  • Options
    @Movotti

You could include a tropical area with a coral reef based on Cairns.

That's about as cliche as the 'outback'

How about the lane ways full of cafes from Melbourne? Or Fruits and 'nectar' from the SA riverland? Or grain 'ferment' from micro brewery all over the country? Or lamb on a bbq? Or night clubbing in Darwin? or B&B stays in Tassie? Or getting stuck on a roundabout in Canberra?
    If it's anything about NSW or Qld, it's gonna be stereotyped and cliched to death, so let's avoid those parts of Oz.
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    edited June 2018
    Darwin might be nice. Lots of cool stuff to do there. Although I prefer botanical gardens to clubbing.
  • Options
    Tahabata wrote: »
    I like both ideas! If they did either, I would be quite satisfied. If the tool to create a world came back, we could build many other Asian worlds to our liking. So I long for a Game pack based on Asian culture, with many beautiful objects of construction.
    I fully agree - a Create a World Tool + lots of suitable nice objects for any respective theme would be great and enhance customization for our games!
  • Options
    EMZ_1EMZ_1 Posts: 42 Member
    Could be a nice GP
  • Options
    AuronoiChieftainAuronoiChieftain Posts: 362 Member
    I would like this if tey included more Traditional Furniture, like Futon Mattresses, and Tea Tables (the Dining Tables that you sit on your knees to eat at). As wellas Rice Paper Windows and Sliding Doors.