Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's official- No hail this time

Comments

• Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Another disappointment. The trade off being FX fog doesn't seem fair. What about the game play? Why bother having rain at this point?

Hail didn’t do anything in previous games except add a new death type and had sims react to the hail by being pelted by it. Hail didn’t really do anything in previous games so they probably left it out this time because they probably didn’t think it was necessary. They saved that little extra time and resources they would’ve spent on hail and adding proper reactions to hail to make other parts of the pack more detailed.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    Another disappointment. The trade off being FX fog doesn't seem fair. What about the game play? Why bother having rain at this point?

Hail didn’t do anything in previous games except add a new death type and had sims react to the hail by being pelted by it. Hail didn’t really do anything in previous games so they probably left it out this time because they probably didn’t think it was necessary. They saved that little extra time and resources they would’ve spent on hail and adding proper reactions to hail to make other parts of the pack more detailed.

Which parts of the pack is more detailed. I mean there is less and less by the day they spend all this time on.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    xBob18 wrote: »
    Also, I have heard sims do not get sunburned anymore? I'm a pale pasty freckled person and sunburns were part of my childhood! Sunburns remind me of the nice pleasant beach days I would spend with my mother when I was a small child. To think that my sims will not experience such an integral part of beach going is very saddening to me. I cannot relate to my sims as much now. It feels wrong.

That's true. I'm sorry you can't relate to your sims without sunburn. I too experienced lots of sunburn in my childhood.
    Thank you. This brought me some closure. Bless you!
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Hail would require our Sims to actually have to react to the weather beyond a tense moodlet so of course they did not add it.

Sure enough and getting those moodlets are important. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Hail would require our Sims to actually have to react to the weather beyond a tense moodlet so of course they did not add it.

You mean annoying? Right?

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

You mean annoying? Right?

I see what you did there and yes moodlets are annoying. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Fine by me. Hail is awful, so I'm glad my sims don't have to experience that. :)
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    Aww no, hail was great. Not a big feature but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
  • Options
    SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,227 Member
    I guess we can't have everything, much as we'd like to. I don't really care about hail myself.
    image.png
  • Options
    CrymCrym Posts: 8 New Member
    no hail?? oh noes!!

i never really liked hail, because it sounded really annoying and was waaaaay to frequent. i've only ever experienced around 4 hail showers (is that what they're called? idk) in my whole life while we got like a gazillion in one season back in Sims 3
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    Wasn't expecting hail, so no biggie. Cool about the fog effects tho.

Just asking but why weren't you expecting it?
    I hope it looks like this

340?cb=20100917183250

Over the last four years I've learned to not take anything for granted with the Sims 4. I make no assumptions about what content might be added and have no expectations that any particular feature will be added. It's served me well and I can say that I've enjoyed every pack that has been released. Yes, even MFP. :)
  • Options
    peragogoperagogo Posts: 223 Member
    No hail, no sunburns and no allergies?

.. can I somehow become a sim, please? :'(
  • Options

Which parts of the pack is more detailed. I mean there is less and less by the day they spend all this time on.

Trees blowing in the wind, sims animations reflecting the current climate (hot sims walk in a slouchy kind of way, wind blowing against the sim the sim is blocking the wind), lightning strikes actually emitting real light causing a brighter environment and more intense shadows, heat waves during hot weather, etc. all of these can be seen in the trailer.
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Hail wasn’t that big of a deal. Snow depth wasn’t that big of a deal. Yet, all of these “no big deal” omissions are starting to add up.

My question remains, and I mean this in the most non-toxic/bashing way, what are they spending their resources on over these basic weather effects? I really hope we find the answer soon.

Take a simple look at the trailer and you'll see all the great extra features and details they added, I already mentioned a few, all those details have never been in the previous games might I add.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    The lack of hail isn't really a dealbreaker IMO. But I can understand why some would want it since both previous iterations had it, and it rounds out the weather experience

Sims 2 didn't have fog though. Sims 3 Seasons seems to be the only one that had it all.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options

Trees blowing in the wind, sims animations reflecting the current climate (hot sims walk in a slouchy kind of way, wind blowing against the sim the sim is blocking the wind), lightning strikes actually emitting real light causing a brighter environment and more intense shadows, heat waves during hot weather, etc. all of these can be seen in the trailer.

Hail wasn’t that big of a deal. Snow depth wasn’t that big of a deal. Yet, all of these “no big deal” omissions are starting to add up.

My question remains, and I mean this in the most non-toxic/bashing way, what are they spending their resources on over these basic weather effects? I really hope we find the answer soon.

Take a simple look at the trailer and you'll see all the great extra features and details they added, I already mentioned a few, all those details have never been in the previous games might I add.

All of the "features" you listed are better weather effects. I would expect better weather effects in a pack they are re-releasing, not once, but twice; 11 years after the original version. It seems very strange to me we would defend these omissions for things that should be improved off the bat with no question..

And mind you, they are omitting weather conditions here. That's really questionable for a pack surrounding around weather itself.

Well the developers believed this time around, not adding snow depth is an improvement taking into consideration The Sims 4 art style, their words, and I trust what they say is true. If they are openly comfortable saying it wasn't a performance issue but purely a visual issue then I have no reason not to believe them, and so I take their word for it, after seeing a recent picture of how the snow looks within the game, I must say the snow looks very good, how it glistens, how not only sims, but pets as well leave foot prints in it, how snow objects around the environment like snow angels are contrasted against the flatness by being real 3D objects. As for no hail I already mentioned my speculative reasoning for not including it, perhaps they didn't believe it was necessary to make an appearance this time around, as hail is essentially the same as rain but with a few different sounds, visual effects, and effects on the sims themselves.
  • Options
    celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    Well the developers believed this time around, not adding snow depth is an improvement taking into consideration The Sims 4 art style, their words, and I trust what they say is true. If they are openly comfortable saying it wasn't a performance issue but purely a visual issue then I have no reason not to believe them, and so I take their word for it, after seeing a recent picture of how the snow looks within the game, I must say the snow looks very good, how it glistens, how not only sims, but pets as well leave foot prints in it, how snow objects around the environment like snow angels are contrasted against the flatness by being real 3D objects. As for no hail I already mentioned my speculative reasoning for not including it, perhaps they didn't believe it was necessary to make an appearance this time around, as hail is essentially the same as rain but with a few different sounds, visual effects, and effects on the sims themselves.

At no time Grant Rodiek or another producer said that not adding snow depth is an improvement taking into account the art style of the game. I can read all the tweets and find absolutely no part where that is said.

Grant was direct in stating that he knew the depth of the snow was important and sought out many ways to implement it, but they were never able to get the best way to do it because they did not find the best level of visual quality they expected. But no one said it was an "improvement taking into account the style of art".

Certainly the non-addition of deep snow had to do with the way the worlds are created. In The Sims 3, snow was automatically applied, but in The Sims 4 I think it would require a great deal of manual work that would take a very large part of the development, especially because the world was covered with a very large amount of objects.

:D
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Now I'm really worried about what else they've neglected to mention is missing.
  • Options
    PlumDiddyPlumDiddy Posts: 551 Member
    Simmers: Can we have hail?
    EA: Aw hail to the nawl! You get these FX.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited June 2018
    Hail is just a visual effect like snow flakes and rain, so it shouldn't be complicated to make!! WHY!? Give us an explication. But I know the answer ''we wanted to make the best Seasons ever so it's the reason why we didn't implant hail, we wanted to focus on x and y''. Tss! :rage::unamused:
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    CoteDAzurCoteDAzur Posts: 610 Member
    mika wrote: »
    Now I'm really worried about what else they've neglected to mention is missing.

The trailer isn't meant to show what's missing in the EP, and ever since the trailer they've been going through the info of what we have and no longer have with this EP for TS4 Seasons. So they haven't neglected to mention anything, they might yet reveal something you aren't happy with, though.