Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have you ever overhauled your whole game- townies, houses, commercial lots, EVERYTHING?

I had become so bored of the same old default things in the Sims 4. It just became tedious and I found myself on a constant loop of creating a sim, getting married, having kids and then never playing them again.

So decided that I would rip out every Maxis made lot and Sim and replace them with brand new shiny ones :D . It's taken me a long time but boy is the game so much more fun now! There are tonnes of custom made families, each with their own backstory and job, so my active Sim household never has to get bored. I downloaded lots of houses and lots that talented simmers have created and shared on the gallery. New bars, restaurants, gyms, nightclubs, parks, arcades, swimming pools, spas, cafes, kids and toddler areas, party places, teen hangouts and loads more! I also have story progression and it's nice to see all the sims I have made forming relationships, getting married, having kids etc. I also added more CC and new jobs and traits to add more interest to the game.

Love the game when there's so much more choice <3 Just wondering has anyone else ever done the same thing? Did you find the game better?
29c01op.gif

Comments

• Options
    EpicSimsEpicSims Posts: 397 Member
    Can I ask you one question?
    I am seriously considering doing what you did; deleting all the preexisting Maxis sims. I don’t play many of them.

But aren’t NPCs and townies still randomly generated even when I fill the entire game with my own creations and those by other simmers from the Gallery??

I don’t want randomly generated NPCs or townies because they .... are literally too random...I mean their looks... sometimes ... I can’t stand them..
  • Options
    Ruby_Rain_DropRuby_Rain_Drop Posts: 96 Member
    EpicSims wrote: »
    Can I ask you one question?
    I am seriously considering doing what you did; deleting all the preexisting Maxis sims. I don’t play many of them.

But aren’t NPCs and townies still randomly generated even when I fill the entire game with my own creations and those by other simmers from the Gallery??

I don’t want randomly generated NPCs or townies because they .... are literally too random...I mean their looks... sometimes ... I can’t stand them..

Hi :smile: Yes they are still generated and it's annoying! If I like them and feel they would add value and have a place in my game I give them makeovers. If I don't like them I just delete them off the face of the Sim universe lol.
    29c01op.gif
  • Options
    mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    I have started to do something similar. I deleted all the pre-made families and I am slowly replacing them with either new sims or townies. I delete majority of the townies, but once in a while I do find some keepers.
    So far I've only bulldozed Oasis Springs, but I'm finding it a challenge to build from scratch, and even sifting through the gallery can take up a good chunk of time. Eventually though, I would like to rebuild on every world using my own original builds.
    I find it is a nice change. The play does feel a bit different without the pre-made sims and with new builds. I find though that this little project means less actual game play and more building/creating, but that is another way to enjoy the Sims, I guess.
  • Options
    fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    Yes. I have a save that I created so that I could always play with my own version of things. In this save it's got no townies and no sims at all. All the lots are redone and ready for use. I just copy this save whenever I create a new game. I prefer houses to have enough room for families and community lots to be really nicely designed. So I just did it myself especially with apartments where every single layout needed a redesign.
  • Options
    midnitetechmidnitetech Posts: 283 Member
    You can stop townie generation completely now. I never get any thanks to THIS mod. What works for me is keeping my maximum sims in world close to what I have.

So, for now I have around 80 in my favorites, and then about 50 downloaded sims in my library. I NEVER get a townie generated that way AT ALL. It's awesome!!

If you want townies to fill your game with, check out silrosse (Jenba.tumblr.com) on the gallery, google 'sim dump', or look HERE.

Hope that helps, @EpicSims @Ruby_Rain_Drop
  • Options
    CoteDAzurCoteDAzur Posts: 610 Member
    Right now my World is completely blank, no sims, no lots yet.. Sort of trying to build some/find some on tumblr. It's a very daunting task, to be honest, I'm working on it in dribs and drabs but I have another save for playing too, since I'd rather play this save when it's more full, later, rather than feeling like my family are the last Sims of their universe. Haha. Apoca-sims.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I've been doing that since I started playing. I clear out the premades and replace every lot with something from the gallery, and move sims in... give them jobs, put them in various clubs that will visit each lot type to make things more lively. Then I copy that save and use it as a starting point every time I want to start a new game. I update the save whenever an expansion or a large game pack comes out.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    Yeah, I made a similar post, just a few weeks back of my adventures replacing the premade lots with stuff from the gallery. I love finding cool community lots . And the gallery is the best ever feature of a sims game :) The best way to utilize all of the packs is to download lots that incorporate them <3
  • Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    I've rebuilt the whole world with other user's lots from the gallery (I'm not very good at building imo) and made my own Sims to fill them. I started another save a few months ago to do the same thing, just with my own builds this time to try and improve my skills. So far I am only a few apartment builds into it, but I'm having fun with it so far.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    For my Stardew Valley Sims story, I bulldozed the residences (and some of the community lots) in Oasis Springs and Willow Creek, and replaced them with @ShaddBoi's Sears Catalog homes, which give a good mid-century small town feel. The families I play are all based on Stardew Valley characters. I've kept the pre-mades from City Living, Get Together, and Cats and Dogs, but I hardly ever send my Sims to those towns.
  • Options
    LazyGamerLazyGamer Posts: 39 Member
    edited May 2018
    I haven't got that far....yet lol. I'm almost done redoing oasis springs to make it more Spanish style so my Sims don't have to go on vacation all the time. Keeping the premades there just updating there backstories and giving them all makeovers.

Redoing brindleton bay next. I want more of a beach feel. It's missing something for me. More bring the outdoors in kind of houses.

I have no idea what I'm doing for the other worlds yet
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I've actually been working on a save off and on for a few months (possibly close to a year) of just my builds and my Sims--nothing from the gallery. It's kind of my own personal challenge to see if I can do it without help from the gallery.
    I'm almost done building but decorating is something I'll probably do once I move the households in. So far, I've made 49 households (with backstories) specifically for this save. It's a task doing it but I'm actually kind of enjoying it. My goal is at least 60+ households (maybe even 90 because that's how many residential lots I have).
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    SkyeChimesSkyeChimes Posts: 376 Member
    I've never actually redone an entire save, but I frequently overhaul as I go. All of my saves are different but the first time I visit a lot in the save file I go into freebuild mode and fix it. The moment my sim starts to become attached to a townie, I haul them and their family into CASfulledit and fix them. Or if they show up in the world looking so horrific that I just can't. Hotdog outfit wearing sims with sun glasses either get deleted or get fixed, we will not have random wiener sims in MY town, haha. So I just kind of do it as I go. My sim wants to visit a friend? Boom, friend's house gets a Renovation. Go to the gym? Boom! Gym gets renovated. I usually don't completely replace lots, just fix them up a little to suite whatever I'm doing.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I do this gradually. I usually start with a more-or-less vanilla game and edit townies, residential lots, and community lots as needed.
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited May 2018
    I too am seriously considering this. I had considered it in the past, but only briefly.

I wouldn't want to completely get rid of townies as some of the best Sims I've ever made were from town-generated Sims, I'd just like to find some way to control whether or not they use CC. Seeing female townies with dark skin made for male Sims, light-blue hair and yellow eyebrows is pretty annoying.

Of course, Maxis doesn't care whether or not a person mods their game, so this issue is admittedly one brought upon myself, but it'd be nice.
  • Options
    AbiOSimsAbiOSims Posts: 1 New Member
    I would really want to do so, but it would take hundreds of hours for me... I think I'm a slow creator. One day, perhaps. I think it would be much more interesting to have one's own Sims walking around rather than randomly generated ones.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I'm doing my own challenge, I'm building all my own houses. It's more fun than I thought it would be. My next project, the Amityville horror house.
  • Options
    BooDaBoo5BooDaBoo5 Posts: 253 Member
    I never have before, but I am slowly starting to work on a save like that. Blank slate and challenging myself to fill it with everything of my own. No gallery! It will take a long time I'm sure, but I think it'll be worth it.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    More times than I can count.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Yes. In Sim 3.
    In Sims 4: Sometimes. Mostly only half way: Fill all empty houses with Sims I like from the gallery, put in a number of commercial lots in empty neighbourhoods.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    AssimuloAssimulo Posts: 1,322 Member
    I've only overhauled a residential neighborhood or two with unrealistically rich houses. I had to use the motherlode cheat a million times to play them. The problem is whenever I build a house from scratch I get really into it and make it completely unsustainable. The bills are what get me every time.
    I made one really expensive 60x60 fortress/palace/mansion/something and the bills were like 40-100k or something. Motherlode cheating made the game really boring. I wish there a was a way to estimate bills while you're building so you could limit yourself.
    Although this thread made me interested in trying again this time trying to make it easier to actually play fair.
    I might just overhaul a few more neighborhoods with more realistic housing and just let the game move in random sims. idk it sounds like fun!
  • Options
    RevolverOcelotsRevolverOcelots Posts: 438 Member
    I did something like this, edited the people i wanted, got some others off the gallery i like and made some and picked houses and places for them and saved it in one file as my default personal base i play off of and whenever i do new things i just start back there and make sure to do save as so i dont accidentally over write it but yeah its fun that way really
    8c1695baf85e527a0357f825b6539ff2cd9de1a7.gif Where Have All The Cowboys Gone?
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    No. Heck, I only just started editing pre-made families. :D I don't have the patience, nor desire really, to change every single aspect of the sims worlds. Sounds like it would be cool though
  • Options
    ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    I haven't done that since The Sims 2 (and, now that I think about it, the 2 tiny, very amateurish worlds I created myself with CAW for The Sims 3). Every time I try to do it with The Sims 4 I get frustrated and give up because everything I build clashes with the backdrop houses. They never look like they belong in the neighborhood.

So, I've recently started experimenting with Sims 4 Studio and learning how to delete the backdrops. It's really not that difficult, it's just time consuming. I always thought it would be more complicated than it is, and so I'm kind of kicking myself for not having done it sooner. Now that I know I can do it, I'm going to pick one world and remove all the fake houses from the background and then customize that world the way I want it.

I know it's going to take a long time, but I've finally found something that gives me the motivation to start playing more.

I also always give makeovers to the the townies and NPC's. It saves time over having to create them myself or download them from the gallery. It allows me use the ones that are automatically generated, but I can make any changes to them I want.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I'm partially done with that -- I've kept a few of the Maxis houses from the base game for now unless I find something that fits, especially in Windenburg because the construction is pretty distinctive. I do keep the game generated Sims if they're single because they can do all the grunt work like food-sellers, bartenders and the like. I've assigned jobs to all of the housed Sims (my families and the ones from the Gallery); I'm only actively playing four households in rotation: Cali West my teen in the city; Gerald Cline, his sister Danielle, and his daughter from alien abduction Vela. (I saved him and Danielle to my Library when he was still pregnant); Tristan and Yvaine Thorne (named for the hero and heroine of the movie Stardust) who are going to be my farming family eventually; and finally my Liam O'Dourke who I created in CAS. I've been spending most of my time with the Clines because since I'd played them a lot they both had a lot of skills. Eventually I plan to retire them after Gerald purchases a bookstore and fills it with his and Danielles writings (he finished the Renaissance Sims aspiration so he's going to write a bunch of skill books, while Danielle's just started on her writing skill). Once Vela ages to young adult, I'll be ready to take them out of rotation and substitute them with her. Gerald will probably stay single but Danielle may eventually marry and leave the rotation on her own.

I also created a few families for the game; a couple of vampires in my library, my alien family the Travelers, a household with a married female couple who have 2 toddlers, 2 children and 2 teens, other than the toddlers the children and teen pairs have opposing traits (like one is a slob and the other is neat, or one's lazy and the other active). I'm not planning to play them actively -- they're basically window dressing. I downloaded some single Sims from the gallery to put in the Not in World population so I'd have them to fill some of the NPC jobs.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)