Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's your sim name style?

Comments

• Options
    barracuda1574barracuda1574 Posts: 115 Member
    It depends on the Sim, sometimes I use common names, sometimes old traditional names. I often look up names if I want a Sim to be of a certain ethnicity/nationality. I also keep a list of interesting names that I come across through television, movies, etc. or names that my friends or co-workers have. Sometimes I name my Sims silly names, just to be silly.
  • Options
    KelzKelz Posts: 53 Member
    I'm terrible with names and usually just use whatever comes into my head at the moment. I think I might try some of the tools suggested here though, a name generator might spice up my sims!
    My Sims Youtube

Find me on the gallery: kelzmckean
  • Options
    Amby316Amby316 Posts: 1,408 Member
    I use a baby names site. I love naming Sims, names other than mine are what interest me the MOST. I can't bring myself to name any of my Sims Amber. LOL I love my name but it's mine. I'm a weirdo sometimes.
  • Options
    purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member
    I play my main save rotationally, so each house has a unique theme for their names. Some end up being relatively normal (the ones that are named after movie or TV characters usually end up with names that are actual names) but some get pretty out there.

A few examples: the first house in my rotation has the naming theme of “types of fish”. So far I’ve used Marlin, Trout, Salmon, Mackerel, Tetra, Shark, Clam, and Betta. I’ve also got a “brands of medication” house (their first son is named Zyrtec) and 3 different Star Wars houses (characters, planets, and actors.)
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • Options
    Saga-MinxSaga-Minx Posts: 580 Member
    edited May 2018
    I mostly use English/American names. I am dutch. ;)
    If I make a sim with a specific nationality, I do try to use names from that country.
    Or sound like it anyway. hehe
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I typically use the randomizer button for my names, but I want to stop doing that because it's pretty boring. I just tend to be lazy when naming my sims :D
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member

Sometimes I use the randomizer, but it's fun to be silly and make something up. My current male sim is Chessman Nootwee. :smile:
  • Options
    KxylaSxmsKxylaSxms Posts: 7 New Member
    I either look up names that I think would fit a certain sim, like if they looked like they would be an 'Aliyah' then I'd look up names that start with A, and go from there. If I feel really lazy, or it's somebody I don't really care about the name, I'll auto-generate a few then find similar names to them, like changing a few letters in the name.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    Same!! I'm from France so you'd think I'd use French names but English/American names sounds much more cool to me!
    Dutchysim wrote: »
    I mostly use English/American names. I am dutch. ;)
    If I make a sim with a specific nationality, I do try to use names from that country.
    Or sound like it anyway. hehe

• Options
    simsteasimstea Posts: 3 New Member
    I use anything that I can think of that seems like it could actually be a name for the first name, and for the last name, I usually don't have any ideas so I click on the randomizer until I find something I like. I also try to use names that match the sim's nationality :smile:
  • Options
    simesmerizedsimesmerized Posts: 202 Member
    So many of you have fun naming themes! I honestly just give them names I like or have hear recently. I have an alien sim named Honor because I was watching Gilmore Girls at the time. My vampire named Teddy I get a kick out of because Teddy is such a cute name and he's a vamp.
  • Options
    exyurockexyurock Posts: 25 Member
    I love unique names, such as Shayla, Zara, Aria for girls, and for guys I go pretty basic like Ryan, Jack, Eddie.. Also depends on the parent's heritage, and if they are twins.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    One of the resources I use for making names in everything from cRPGs to MMOs to The Sims is the following: http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com

For choices more appropriate for the Sims universe mouse over the third tab from the left just under the banner, Real Names. You'll have links to random generators for more backgrounds, ethnicities and time periods than you could ever hope to use.
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    One of the resources I use for making names in everything from cRPGs to MMOs to The Sims is the following: http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com

For choices more appropriate for the Sims universe mouse over the third tab from the left just under the banner, Real Names. You'll have links to random generators for more backgrounds, ethnicities and time periods than you could ever hope to use.
    Now you've gone and done it. :smiley: Love that site... thanks for the link!
  • Options
    gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I play my main save rotationally, so each house has a unique theme for their names. Some end up being relatively normal (the ones that are named after movie or TV characters usually end up with names that are actual names) but some get pretty out there.

A few examples: the first house in my rotation has the naming theme of “types of fish”. So far I’ve used Marlin, Trout, Salmon, Mackerel, Tetra, Shark, Clam, and Betta. I’ve also got a “brands of medication” house (their first son is named Zyrtec) and 3 different Star Wars houses (characters, planets, and actors.)

What are Zyrtec's siblings names? You've got me hooked. I need to know.
  • Options
    alexandra5alexandra5 Posts: 234 Member
    I literally ALWAYS use the game's random names :D
    I mean there are just so many of them and it saves me a lot of time from trying to think of names for my sims, and I'm glad this feature was added in the sims 4 cuz i remember that i had this huge list of names that i had to use everytime i wanted to name a sim back when I played The Sims 3.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    A lot of times I will assign a temporary name and return to a sim when I've thought of something appropriate. Sometimes this takes a while.
  • Options
    purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member

So far he’s an only child...in TS4 anyway. When I used this theme back in TS2 he had a sister named Allegra, who then had a daughter named Claritin.
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • Options
    CoteDAzurCoteDAzur Posts: 610 Member
    All off of the top of my head.
    Then again I don't make good names.. My last Sim used to work in the police force, her name was Doriana Losa, with the release of JA she became Doriana the Exploriana (in my head) when I had her explore a temple, and I have to wonder if that was just what inspired that name in the first place.. Back in time.
  • Options
    CoteDAzurCoteDAzur Posts: 610 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    A lot of times I will assign a temporary name and return to a sim when I've thought of something appropriate. Sometimes this takes a while.

Gonna call all of my Sims Jane Doe and John Doe from now on until I think of the best names ever.
  • Options
    ChelsPlaySimsChelsPlaySims Posts: 94 Member
    I like "old-fashioned" long names with cute nicknames. Ex:
    Benjamin "Ben"
    Joseph "Joey"
    Charles "Charlie"
    Annabel "Anna"
    Eleanor "Ellie"
  • Options
    gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member

So far he’s an only child...in TS4 anyway. When I used this theme back in TS2 he had a sister named Allegra, who then had a daughter named Claritin.

I love that. Claritin almost sounds like it could be a real name.
  • Options
    JessicthulhuJessicthulhu Posts: 315 Member
    I used to go on the internet and look up names that I thought would be fitting for whatever, and sometimes I still do that for specific characters like if they are particularly ethnic.

However, for the most part i just randomly generate the name until I actually like something.
  • Options
    CreampuffcatCreampuffcat Posts: 162 Member
    Heh I use the randomiser most of the time. But then there’s my new character for a sims story named Ugga....Really depends on my mood.
  • Options
    jojosimmernyjojosimmerny Posts: 30 Member
    I usually press the random button until a name I like comes up, for both first and last names