Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's your sim name style?

GasolineCreaGasolineCrea Posts: 135 Member
When you play Sims, how do you guys usually name your sims? Are they normal names? Names based off of something? Names you make up that everyone kind of judges you for?
I'm curious, because I have some obscurely named sims (this gen, we have Tala, Dyric, Xazia and Cyphel, to name a few), and I'm sure I'm not the only one. My sims in this family haven't had normal names since the first gen.
So. How do you name your sims?
So many sorcerers ~

Comments

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I use the random button sometimes, but if the names are "too out there" for my liking, I just google for names of certain heritage backgrounds. My go to are traditional Norwegian, Scandinavian, French, German, English, or Sioux names.
  • MeishakMeishak Posts: 28 Member
    I usually use the random name generator and try and find a name that fits the personality I envision for that sim. If random name generator isn't giving me what I want, I search up name ideas on Google
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,293 Member
    It all depends on the family I'm playing. Right now, the two saves I have are pre-determined. For instance in one I'm playing my Cantrell family that I created for the mini-series in my siggie. In my other save, it's my Ancestors, so their names are what they were. Problem is, there's lots of duplicate names in that family. An uncle and nephew born a year apart in RL, the nephew before the uncle, yet because he's the next generation down, he gets the II in his name, just to help keep them sorted.

Now, since I never fully played out the sons in my Cantrell family inside the boundary of the written series, when I get them married off, I will simply choose a name I like for their children. If I'm stuck, I use the randomizer. I used an old pocket-size Name the Baby book I've had for decades in the past. The randomizer works just fine for me, unless I can't find a name that suits me. Then I pull out my old standby — said all but tattered Baby Names book
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited May 2018
    Sometimes I do a little research trying to find names that "mean" something. Like I had a ghost that I named Ancillia Caretaker. I had a vision for her to become a maid/caretaker and help other sims in their households as ghost. I do things like that with Aliens often also. I go stereotypical too and name sims according to what how a name is usually associated (which people might find offensive). As in I might name an evil male Damien or might name a rich, snobbish girl Tiffany. I might name a nerd Myron (even though the only Myron I ever knew in real life was a football player).
    It wouldn't actually work well if I were writing a story that I intended to publish but it amuses me.
    For normal sims.. sometimes I just roll the wheel until one fits or it makes me think of one.
    egTcBMc.png
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I think of common English names as I find the game's names rather American.
  • ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    When I make Sims I always end up creating a little backstory to them in my head. Once the Sim is ready I go to Google and search for a good name.
    (Example: if I create an Irish Sim I search "Irish names" list from Google and choose one for my Sim)
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I look for names associated with whatever I imagined the cultural background of the sim to be
    but I rarely take the names exactly as they are. Usually I'll sort of adjust them to make them sound better to me, but by then they're usually not recognizable as real names anymore
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • AshlynMckAshlynMck Posts: 22 Member
    Omg lol me too haha I made the first sim my sim self and named after me but after that lol they haven't had normal names. I make up names and look up names. My current gen's children are named Scarlett, Iven, Arden, Fredrik, and Catriona. Kind of normal I guess maybe lol but I love unique and mythical names too and I also look up cultural names and such lol whatever I am in the mood for :D B)
  • AstreonAstreon Posts: 1,291 Member
    The first few sims I made were all characters I’ve written in stories before or characters I’ve always imagined in stories I would like to write about but haven’t yet. They’re all fantasy stories, so the names I come up with are slightly less common. For the rest of my sims, I usually just use names that I like, or sometimes, I make a sim without having any idea what I wanted to make, then look at the end result and think “Hmm...this guy looks like a Jasper so I’ll name him Jasper.”

For aliens, I use an alien name generator because I want aliens to seem as otherwordly as possible, so their names are really funky in my game. I also have one alien who I named “Desire” only because her backstory is that she came to the Sim world but couldn’t remember how or what her name was. Then ahe found the joys of sim woohoo and became a woohoo addict, and the sim who she lives with promises to do that for her because he just wants to use her, and he was the one who ended up naming her Desire. So yea, I try to think of names that might have meaning for some of my sims too.

A few other sims I’ve made are based on random characters from other games, shows, etc, but I try not to make them identical and give them their own personality, but I sometimes just get the original character’s name and change it slightly as well.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited May 2018
    I like coming up with silly names but it's always been my thing since TS1. When I can't think of a silly name I use the generator. Or if it's a vampire or alien, I might google for ideas if I can't think of something myself. Actually had an NPC in a save not too long ago named Sonny Day. I love it when the game generates funny names!
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    I love using Nameberry.com for my sim's children. I envision if I was the sim what name I would pick for my kids.
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    When you play Sims, how do you guys usually name your sims? Are they normal names? Names based off of something? Names you make up that everyone kind of judges you for?
    I'm curious, because I have some obscurely named sims (this gen, we have Tala, Dyric, Xazia and Cyphel, to name a few), and I'm sure I'm not the only one. My sims in this family haven't had normal names since the first gen.

The two boys in my third generation- Jake and Ethan- are namesakes. They're both named after their late-grandfathers. Jacob McConnell, jr(Jake) and Ethan McConnell. They're brothers and Jake just got engaged to his childhood friend, who is now wearing his late-grandmother's necklace, as is the tradition in this save. :)
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I try to follow the game's own convention for naming its premade sims--slightly silly names that often say something about the character.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Sometimes the name for the child is just obvious. For example, I have a sim named Gravy Jones and of course her daughter's name is Biscuit. And because I am easily amused I got a real kick out the game notification "Biscuit just became Good Friends with Gravy". I also use Google as described above, baby name sites or the name generator in the game. Today was a bit unusual because I researched the meaning of a name for non-game reasons and was then inspired to make a sim.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I don't like odd or unusual names - I like normal, everyday names. I pick names that a) I like and b) that I think suit that particular sim. Not really sure how else to explain it.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I want to be creative, but always wind up using the random name generator. So I usually delete almost every game I play.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member

It depends on the Sim I am playing. Sometimes I let the name be randomly chosen. Other times I have to let the backstory I have for them chose their name. I had a Vampire who's backstory was she was an ancient vampire who was a high priestess of Ishtar when she was mortal. I had planned her out before creating her looking into ancient Babylonian family names and female names used at that time. Other times I just use whatever name first comes to mind. Other times its comic books, manga anime etc that inspires a name.

Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • bombtoribombtori Posts: 30 Member
    I have a couple different ways I choose names. I either go off a cultural vibe/theme, a name that has a particular meaning, browse nameberry until I find something I like, or I give my sims names of characters in books I'm reading or movies I have watched recently. Usually a name just calls to me and I am typing a new baby or premade sims name without thinking!
  • GasolineCreaGasolineCrea Posts: 135 Member
    Oh, so I'm the only one who just mashes vowels and consonants together nicely. Apparently I'm a special special person, huh? xD
    Some more examples of my sims' names; Kaysia, Salien, Nylena, Clarien, Renlin, Sarin, Maziel, Shiran, Kairyan. I really like the ie or ei sounds...
    Interesting that most people either use a name generator or use their backstory!
    So many sorcerers ~
  • takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member
    I have on a list of names I like (which I will randomly think of/hear and jot down in my notes app) for sims I like and generation heirs. Other than that I use whatever comes to mind or a randomly generated name. Sometimes I get really into researching names when a sim has a really strong personality which I feel should be portrayed through their name, but that isn't too often. I always give alien sims astronomy themed names, though. I can't help it :D
  • RevolverOcelotsRevolverOcelots Posts: 438 Member
    I tend to name sims after people in things I like or if my simself has kids whenver she does i name them after my favorite game characters the pets too. Randoms i name after other celebrities and game characters i like so really thats my usual pattern
    8c1695baf85e527a0357f825b6539ff2cd9de1a7.gif Where Have All The Cowboys Gone?
  • princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    i hate basic names so i usually do some research before i name a sim.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    It depends on the Sim and what kind of challenge or gameplay I have in mind for them or if I imagine they are from a particular culture. For instance, Annie & Abby Callahan and Molly McNamara are Irish, Sasha Romanov is Russian, Carmen Alfonzo and Gina Lombardo are Italian, Lander & Damon Panopoulos are Greek, Noah Noonday is a Potawatomi Native American, Giovanni (Jon) Valente is Irish/Italian and Sonnet Colbert is French.

Sometimes I'll use the random generator and just go with what I think works for that Sim. It can be tedious doing it that way though since I'm rather picky about names. Random names I've used are; Leslie Neff, Kailani Queen, Leanne Summers, Andrew Hudson and Rita Benet. Rita was my very first created Sim from TS4 Demo.

I don't really like a lot of trendy, cutesy or 'unusual' names, but have used a few on occasion if it fits a particular Sim. For instance, Dreama Masheik and Romeo Pandorian are a bit unusual, but they're aliens so it works for me. And Chambree Je' Blu is actually a name I recycled from a TS2 Sim that I dearly loved. I did use 'Ben Bummer' for my Extreme Rags to Riches challenge, plus Autumn Woods, Terra Demeter, Sunshine Beam, Spring Weather and Ellie Pepper are kind of cutesy I guess.

But they work for these particular Sims. For instance Sunshine is a hippie and Terra is named after the Earth and the Goddess of Harvest and Agriculture. I used her in my 'Living Off the Grid' challenge. Also, Spring Weather is the founder of my Legacy Challenge. Obviously 'weather' is the theme for the family. :)

I tend to lean more towards 'strong' or masculine names for my male Sims, such as; Josh & Joel Hunter, Bryce Canyon, Cole Armstrong, Kent Rockwell, Ridge Everest, Sam Hawkins, Thomas Woodson and Grant Forest.

I like to alliterate names a lot too, such as; Vanessa Valentine, Claire Caldwell, Greta Gamble, Delilah Devine, Lilah Lockhart, Robin Russo, Samantha Searing, Sherry Schafer, Serena Santorini and Noah Noonday.

Lastly my child Sims names if I have more than one in a family all begin with the same letter. I don't know why, it just seems like a fun thing to do I guess. Happy Simming! <3
  • afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    In my main save I had a Classical Greek/Latin naming theme, because the sims I play in that save are the family of my simself and in real life my name is Greek, although I myself am not Greek. When my simself's children married into families that I consider Irish, I gave their children Irish and Welsh names.
    Now I usually go for names that I find interesting or somewhat unusual. Sometimes the name dictates the personality of the sim, e.g. I have a sim named Thalia. In Greek myth, Thalia is the muse of comedy, so my sim Thalia is a goofball.