Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's your sim name style?

1235...Next

Comments

• FreshMeatFreshMeat Posts: 28 Member
    Some names are ones I want to use for my real children at some point, i love Josiah, Elias and Magdalena (like Magda) and I love biblical names in general. Most are randomly generated, one of my sims is Eve (another Biblical name I like) and Bianca which also nicely chosen. Some are just nice names I like, Lucia and Lucas. Others even influenced by animated characters like Sabastian (Black Butler), I'm gonna go with Levi at some point too. Gonna try some slavic names out like Lev or Slava.
  • ButterfreeguyButterfreeguy Posts: 633 Member
    In my main story, it varies per generation or per parents. If I have Sims obsessed with certain themes (cooking, philosophy, robots...), their children are going to be called names that revolve around that subject. For twins, I usually use names that fit with each other. Aliens and vampires have special names that aren't commonly used on earth. And when you're born in the middle of the Strangerville apocalypse, then there's only one name I can give you: Apocalypsia. She's one of my current main Sims.
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    Nowadays I randomize in CAS, but when a baby gets born I go with whatever I feel like and think of in the moment. There's no big theme or anything.
  • BansheesHeartBansheesHeart Posts: 26 Member
    I tend toward unique names with unique spellings, I pull from folklore and history a lot. Loreley is a name I use all the time, or some variation of it. I also use James quite a bit as well as Carridwen and Arianrhod.
  • akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    I use a "name the baby" book and pick one according to what fits a particular sims look. If I make a spellcaster or vampire I will go by the name and the meaning of the name. I have a spellcaster named Sage ( means wise ) and a vampire named Valin ( means mighty ). Of course there are exceptions, I have a doctor I named Moss Heart just because I liked it.
  • dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    Usually just random name generator until I find something I like. TBH it comes up with better names then I do anyways!
    Although one time it did generate the name Finley Gilbert for a mermaid sim which I found hilarious!!
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I'm basic, I just randomise until I get one that works for me. I used to name my own sims but then they always end up with the same five names so I'd end up with 500 Samanthas going around and nothing else
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    It’s really random for me. Sometimes I’ll use the randomize button and see what names come along but when my sim gets pregnant I usually go online and look for names. I usually already have a story in mind for the baby’s life and I choose a name based off of that. What name would suit a future doctor sim for example.
  • emma_leeemma_lee Posts: 18 Member
    I often google top 10 girl og boy names. But in my last save I only used names that's also a city or country, like India, Paris and London.
  • BK747BK747 Posts: 174 Member
    edited May 2020
    It depends on the family and what fits their characters and aesthetic.

I have one family that is very musical, so they've included names like Aria, Chord, Lyric, and Presley (after Elvis).

Another family is into nature, gardening and the outdoors, so they've included names like Saffron, Dahlia, Georgia Rose, and Sage.

One thing I will often do is use the maiden names of the mother so that their family lineage is also represented, which has led to names like Hunter, Walker, Carter, Bishop, Harrison, and Chance, which all work well as first names as well.

I like geographic names that pay some homage to their heritage. A favourite name I've used of this type is Caspian, after the Caspian Sea... I call him Caz for short.

I'm not sure how I would describe the style of name that I use when there isn't an obvious 'theme' to follow, but I guess you could say they tend to be a bit more modern (though some of them are traditional ones that feel young and fresh). Names of sims in my current save that I really love that stand out would include Van, Bexley, Paxton, Lilah, Keegan, Cooper, Jordyn, Effie, Tryp, Knox, Judd, Colton, Axel, Paisley, and Rhea.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Since most of my Sims are based on catalog models and from places like Getty Images; I use a modification of the real name if I was able to find it (or it was made available); else I just use the randomizer to find something that fits.

• Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    I often give my Sims surnames that sum up their character with an adjective or descriptive noun: Beulah Busty, John Action, John Stinky, Faye Weather, Paul Nice, Joe Average, Suzy Sixties and Zack and Luna Rocket.

Back in the days when I played Sims 1 with my kids one of them named his characters Paul Doodoopah and Bob Doodoodah. I asked him why and he didn't know....that's until we were in the neighbourhood menu and we heard the soundtrack that went "doo doo dahhhh, doo ba doo doo pahhhhhhhh"....he got the names from the sound of the music.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited May 2020
    I'm normally an alphabet slave. But I enjoy going against my natural inclination. OCD must not win every time.

I like to pick names that reflect the Sim's cultural background, but if that isn't applicable, and if the mood strikes me, I'll name them something silly.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I try to base it on what I think the parents would name the child. That means that I consider their backgrounds and whether they care about drawing from them for a name or not. Do they want to be more modern or traditional?

Some parents share the same last names and some do not. What is the child's last name?

Obviously, it tends to be a name that I like but I have a limited range of choices for each sim. Sometimes I'll have a few ideas before the baby is born but these days, there are so many in my game that I tend to just choose when the baby arrives. At least, that's the final decision and I've never changed it afterward.

There are sims from different cultures but they don't always pick names from their backgrounds. Most definitely do but not all of them. There are two to three Sophias with different spellings, so that is the most common name. If I see two sims with the same name, I don't change it if it is a common one.

A sim recently had a child with a native of Selvadorada and the son was named the same name as the father, as is common in some cultures. There are several families with Latin naming traditions due to their ancestries and cultures. There are several Indian families too; I researched their names. The more I think about it, I really have a lot of different cultures in the game so the names reflect that.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • SeanBobbyGSeanBobbyG Posts: 112 Member
    If someone just died in my family tree I always give them two names to honour their deceased relative. And if it’s twins or triplets I usually name them with the same letter. The small things in life :’D
  • emiobixemiobix Posts: 88 Member
    In one game I married Akira so I am going with Japanese names and in my spellcaster playthrough I am using planets. I often will name the familiars after the planets' moons too.
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I go with a name from something I like such as a TV show or a movie and that is how I start.

Or I pick a letter from the alphabet to go with and hit randomizer until I get a name with that letter.

My friends names.

Or I take the first letter of the parents and try to pick a name from that 😋
  • AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    My names are pretty random. For example, I named a sim Chai because I was drinking a chai latte while I was creating her. The sim in my avatar is named Nahanni, after a national park in Canada. I also have a couple of names that I recycle if I absolutely can't think of anything.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    edited June 2020
    I use the in game randomizer mostly, but look up names if I need a specific nationality, etc. Baby name sites are great, there are also name generators out there on-line, as well, that I've used.

I just look for popular or common names. I've never felt the need to look for obscure names for my Sims, with a population of 500 Sims, you can avoid too many duplicate names pretty well.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,756 Member
    edited June 2020
    I love unusual names and try to make up ones that don't already exist if possible, e.g: Ikkanu, Samphy, Rhydia, Kiolytes, Zoya (though in an odd experience I discovered Zoya is actually an existing name when googled).

Sometimes I'll use a name if I've seen one I like the sound of- Tadeo, Leoni.
    It doesn't always have to be a first name either. Norrell, my mischievous warlock/vampire's name, was taken from the novel 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' (which, I have to confess, I haven't actually read. Have seen an episode or 2 of the TV series). As an added pun, Norrell's wife's surname is Strange.

I like to play around with humour if the setting provides the opportunity. Norrell and Leoni (wife) are both music lovers so all their children are named after musical terms: Rhapsody, Andante, Nocturne and Toccata.

And sometimes I'll just pick a name combination because it sounds funny e.g. Andromeda Boggins or Jelly Moulder. 🙂
  • daisy1989daisy1989 Posts: 87 Member
    I sometimes use video game characters for inspiration - like one household has 3 cats called Roxas, Sora and Kairi (from Kingdom Hearts) :)
    Check out my YouTube channel @ DaisySims
  • pink_coco10pink_coco10 Posts: 54 Member
    I just use names that I like and feel they fit the sim and what I'm planning for them. I don't use unique spellings or unusual names because I will forget them. Sometimes names are kinda inherited from other sims in the family (Cassandra -> Cassie).
    Sometime I use the randomizer in CAS.