Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What changes have you made to Selvadorada?

So far, all I have done is make a few small - mostly cosmetic - changes to the rental cottages, to make them look a little more shabby and rustic and I have also added a couple of extra things to the cantina, like a dart-board and a foosball table, so that there is more for my sims to do there when they visit. I also added the Convivial lot trait - now the place really rocks in the evening.

But I would like to change a couple of other things too. In particular, I would like to change the existing museum into something more interesting and lively, but I don't really know what, or how. It would make a great campground, but I can't do that because I don't have OR, so I need to think of something else.

At this stage, I am not even very sure what changes are possible. Could I, for example, turn the museum lot - or some other existing lot - into a retail lot? Or a veterinary clinic? Would these then be ownable? Has anyone tried doing either of these things so far? And, if so, how did it work out? And does anyone perhaps have any other ideas for the museum lot?

I would also love to hear about any changes you have made to Selvadorada and/or any you are planning for the future.

Comments

• Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I've replaced the museum and Cantina with remodels from the gallery so far. I don't know if I'll do anything with the rentals because my Sims are really only there long enough to sleep and then head out into the jungle again so as long as there's a bed there, it's fine.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    the cantina got a fresh coat of paint (really, a rather nice cantina from the gallery. i added a few extra things into it, like a memorial to fallen adventurers (and locals), a smattering of day of the dead decor, a few artifacts and mounted local fish). cantina also got some toys and a set of monkeybars, all so kids and toddlers could keep themselves entertained when the family goes to the cantina lot instead of just constantly making messes around the statue

the 8 sim villa was replaced by a restaurant, at least for now. i might move the restaurant to the museum spot and build a museum behind and around it or something (the restaurant is also from the gallery, i basically drowned the outside in jungle plants, changed the menu and that's about it).

the trailhead had outdoor retreat tents, campfire and a few other bits added, as well as a handcrafted tub (for pets), food dishes, a few pet toys, and a litterbox 'hidden' amidst the plants

the tiniest villa (with the creepy crawlies trait) was kept as is, the other two remaining were updated.

the romantic one was made...not exactly more modern, but slightly? it's kept as a 'romantic getaway' type place, with hot tub and sauna and a few more things added. the other one near the cantina is still kept as a family-friendly type lot, it and the cantina both got toyboxes, some kid and todder toys, dollhouses, and giant stuffed animals added.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I rebuilt the hillview hideaway lot and changed the museum lot to a pool/bar lot with water slides, a picnic area, rock climbing walls and other fun things to do for those sims that just want to have a vacation experience without the exploration. It's still a WIP because it's such a big lot.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I changed the museum into a cafe the idea being that it was turned into a sort of tourist trap originally being a temple though standing strong enough that the locals could make use of it. I might change the rentals but my sims don't stay too long they are still new to me.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    almost wish we had two big lots for this, i like @fullspiral's idea for some of the pure vacationers, but i like the museum for other types of vacationers (academic and non). might flip between the two lots, but that'd get annoying if swap households too often
  • Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    edited March 2018
    These are all good ideas - thank you.

@kalaksed, does anyone own your restaurant? (I'm curious to know whether this might be a way of enabling a sim family to stay more-or-less permanently in Selvadorada).

One idea I had for the museum lot is similar to @RedDestiny92's idea - namely, to rebuild it in the form of a "restored" - or maybe only partly-restored - temple, with examples of local artifacts on display for tourists to see. I would probably keep it as a museum lot then. It would be quite a challenge to build, though.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I was a little disappointed with how tiny the museum is, especially since it's on a 64x64 lot, which could be used more effectively in my opinion. I ended up moving the building part of the museum to Oasis Springs, so sims can already get into archaeology before travelling to Selvadorada (without relying on books only), and now I'm thinking about what to do with the original museum lot.

As I said in another thread, I considered building a daycare for kids, toddlers, and pets to stay at while the adults are exploring the jungle, but now I'm no longer sure if that would make any sense for my play style. I don't even have the stuff packs for kids and toddlers, or many families with young children.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    Certainly starts out hard but in the end it comes together, I couldn't decide what I wanted it to be thought I'd try a cafe though with the food stands you can hire vendor so it could have been something else and only sometimes a cafe. I take it as the locals would only do so much needing money even if it means sacrificing a part of history.
    39648061575_b5eec5ede5_b.jpg
    39648058545_f484c1b771_b.jpg
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    @FKM100 nope, nobody owns the restaurant. i don't even recall if it or the one in granite falls show up on the list of available to buy ones

and the museum was intended to be small, so that players could do what they wanted to the lot without feeling bad about bulldozing it. i believe the lot description itself even comments on how the museum needs to be expanded (the non-villa lots in selvadorada can be built on without using the cheat)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2018
    I did not change anything in this world. I sort of enjoy it as it is - so far.

I like the differences of the world from the regular worlds.

Maybe in the future. LOL.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Placed some OR camping gear at the trailhead and placed some lot traits down in the cantina and museum, and apart from adding a bit of furniture and stereos, left the community lots generally as is. I don't touch the villas; I barely have Sims stay in them long so why change them?
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    Well, I finally gave in and bought Outdoor Retreat on Saturday (I should have known I would eventually), so I have bulldozed the museum lot and converted it into a campground. It now serves as the base camp for new arrivals (and cheapskate sims), instead of the field station near the trail-head. I have given it the convivial trait, plus the creepy-crawlies one, which should be good for a laugh. I built a nice little villa on the field station lot. This will now be my preferred rental lot, because it is closest to the entrance to the jungle.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I changed the museum lot type to park (kept the museum) and added park stuff for families that visit Seladorada. It turned out pretty nice.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    none. As I already said I sort of liked it as it is, at least so far. I generally wait until I feel a town needs some changes before I do anything to them - but knowing me I will eventually make some changes or additions.

I did not want it to appear I never do anything to the worlds - I just wait until it hits me to do something. I am sure the first place I will add to is probably the museum too as it has so much room there to spare. LOL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I was a little disappointed with how tiny the museum is, especially since it's on a 64x64 lot, which could be used more effectively in my opinion. I ended up moving the building part of the museum to Oasis Springs, so sims can already get into archaeology before travelling to Selvadorada (without relying on books only), and now I'm thinking about what to do with the original museum lot.

As I said in another thread, I considered building a daycare for kids, toddlers, and pets to stay at while the adults are exploring the jungle, but now I'm no longer sure if that would make any sense for my play style. I don't even have the stuff packs for kids and toddlers, or many families with young children.

Not sure that would work anyway - as the minute my sims walk away from a toddler - step off that lot anyway - the game sends the toddler to the games daycare and I can't get them back until my sim goes home.

I wish we could at least call a nanny when on vacation to stay at the rental during vacations so the nanny could keep an eye on the child or something. Granted I have not brought a toddler to JA - but I did take one on the camping vacation - and when the toddler was sleeping I sent the parents across to the fishing spot - they could even still see their rental and the game sent the toddler to daycare and would not let her come back to the camp. Really made me furious seeing the sims were barely off the lot. So I don't even bother trying to bring toddlers or pets to JA.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    FKM100 wrote: »
    Well, I finally gave in and bought Outdoor Retreat on Saturday (I should have known I would eventually), so I have bulldozed the museum lot and converted it into a campground. It now serves as the base camp for new arrivals (and cheapskate sims), instead of the field station near the trail-head. I have given it the convivial trait, plus the creepy-crawlies one, which should be good for a laugh. I built a nice little villa on the field station lot. This will now be my preferred rental lot, because it is closest to the entrance to the jungle.

Aren't your sims having to pay for everything on the lot though? As this game does not recognize hostels or home camp and your sim just pays for a bed like WA had - your sims will be charged for the big lot and every single thing on it... unfortunately.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Placed some OR camping gear at the trailhead and placed some lot traits down in the cantina and museum, and apart from adding a bit of furniture and stereos, left the community lots generally as is. I don't touch the villas; I barely have Sims stay in them long so why change them?

Was the gear still there when your sims left and returned next trip?

When my sim got home from her next trip to JA I had forgot to pick up her tent - figured it would be where she left it the next time - only to find it in my family inventory - so the game sent it there, apparently did not like me leaving stuff on the trails. LOL.

I learned to look in the family inventory when coming home after the very first trip to JA my sim lost her tent - when I tried to have her place it - it went flying off into space. I never could find it and looked everywhere. But when she got home - I was looking in the family inventory to see what promotion gift she had gotten from work - and there sat her lost tent along with her promotion gift.

So when she forgot her tent on her second trip - I just checked family inventory and sure enough the game sent it back to her again. I have a feeling we can only leave things on the rental lots.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I changed the museum lot type to park (kept the museum) and added park stuff for families that visit Seladorada. It turned out pretty nice.

I think I saw a picture of that - looked pretty nice - for sure. Lots for kids to enjoy.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

I think I saw a picture of that - looked pretty nice - for sure. Lots for kids to enjoy.

Thanks.

And I believe you are correct. You can only "leave" stuff on lots. Stuff left out in the jungle will be returned to owner.

I do wish we had sleeping bags.
  • Options
    SnowWolf58SnowWolf58 Posts: 382 Member
    I always have to "enhance" any vacation rentals as I like my sims to be as comfortable on vacay as they are at home. I have the "All Beds Same Comfort" mod and replaced all the new Selvadorada furniture in the rental houses. I would love to know WHY EA creates so much new furniture -- sofas, chairs and loveseats w/Level 1 comfort level. It's the stupidest thing I've ever seen from the Sims creators thus far.

All the rental houses have top-notch appliances, bathroom fixtures, etc. Added a lot of things to do: Chess tables, jacuzzi tubs, Foosball tables, Computers, Horseshoe pits, swimming pools on 2 of the larger rental home lots and Bookcases. Our Sims have always been "action bases" so it makes no sense to have the rental lots so barren and lacking of fun things to do.

I enhanced the Cantina w/similar fun things so that the entire family can be entertained and have a great time. Also replaced all the low level comfort furniture w/top comfort level chairs/loveseats that still match the "Jungle/Rustic" theme. I love the idea about relocating the Museum back to one of the neighborhoods so that sims can gain important "pre-knowledge and history" about the Selvadorada culture.

I will probably make the museum lot a nice big park for locals and vacationers alike soon. Always loved re-doing EA's lame attempts at creating great vacation places... very satisfying. :)
    Ryzen 1700X • 16GB • RX 580

INFJ -A/-T
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Another thing I recently changed was turning the totally uninteresting national park into a camping ground. Now I still don't know what to do with the museum lot, but maybe I will turn that one into a fun park where you can actually, you know, do something.
    Not sure that would work anyway - as the minute my sims walk away from a toddler - step off that lot anyway - the game sends the toddler to the games daycare and I can't get them back until my sim goes home.

You're right, I didn't even consider that. Oh well, then I'll just stick to my previous approach of not bringing any toddlers or pets to Selvadorada in the first place, because I really don't see how they could benefit from such a vacation. The one time I did bring a cat, hoping it might help dig up artefacts, unwittingly trigger traps or do anything interesting at all, it just got bitten by a squirrel the second it entered one of those stupid bushes and was sick for the remainder of the vacation because there was no vet around.

Not that it matters all that much to me anyway, I don't need everything to be family-friendly.
    SnowWolf58 wrote: »
    I love the idea about relocating the Museum back to one of the neighborhoods so that sims can gain important "pre-knowledge and history" about the Selvadorada culture.

Not long after the museum in Oasis springs, I also built my own cantina right next to it and placed a food stall so people can taste some Selvadoradian dishes before going on vacation. It has actually become one of my favourite public lots.

cantinaselvadoradiana36pon.jpg

And now, on to Granite Falls...
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    The only change I've made is added a computer lab on the roof of the Cantina since it seems every time sims get poisoned they don't have bone dust so have to buy it off the computer. >.<
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options

Aren't your sims having to pay for everything on the lot though? As this game does not recognize hostels or home camp and your sim just pays for a bed like WA had - your sims will be charged for the big lot and every single thing on it... unfortunately.

They will have to pay as it is a rental lot, but with only a few tents, a public loo and barbecue area, it still works out as a very cheap stay for a large group of sims. I'm thinking of making a new 'household' consisting of a group of archaeology students and a dippy professor.

• Options

They will have to pay as it is a rental lot, but with only a few tents, a public loo and barbecue area, it still works out as a very cheap stay for a large group of sims. I'm thinking of making a new 'household' consisting of a group of archaeology students and a dippy professor.

I did something like that, but I created a archeology professor and his father based on Indiana Jones and his dad. I added a couple of HS students as assistants learning about history. They all live in the family mansion on the island in Windenburg.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Another thing I recently changed was turning the totally uninteresting national park into a camping ground. Now I still don't know what to do with the museum lot, but maybe I will turn that one into a fun park where you can actually, you know, do something.

You're right, I didn't even consider that. Oh well, then I'll just stick to my previous approach of not bringing any toddlers or pets to Selvadorada in the first place, because I really don't see how they could benefit from such a vacation. The one time I did bring a cat, hoping it might help dig up artefacts, unwittingly trigger traps or do anything interesting at all, it just got bitten by a squirrel the second it entered one of those stupid bushes and was sick for the remainder of the vacation because there was no vet around.

Not that it matters all that much to me anyway, I don't need everything to be family-friendly.
    SnowWolf58 wrote: »
    I love the idea about relocating the Museum back to one of the neighborhoods so that sims can gain important "pre-knowledge and history" about the Selvadorada culture.

Not long after the museum in Oasis springs, I also built my own cantina right next to it and placed a food stall so people can taste some Selvadoradian dishes before going on vacation. It has actually become one of my favourite public lots.

cantinaselvadoradiana36pon.jpg

And now, on to Granite Falls...

Very, very nice. Fits so well into that world - too.

In dreams - I LIVE!