Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[Leaked!] The Sims 4: Jungle Adventures GP Speculation

Comments

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    NikNak wrote: »
    If we do get explorable tombs, I get this feeling that the way they're going to try and sell it is by using the community.

I can hear the condescending voice-over woman now:

"..AND WITH THE GALLERY, YOU'LL NEVER RUN OUT OF TOMBS TO EXPLORE! WITH YOUR CREATIVITY YOU CAN CREATE YOUR VERY OWN AMAZING TOMBS TO SHARE WITH THE WORLD! *insert corny joke about skeletons here*"

I actually could see a great benefit from the gallery here.
    WA for me lost replay-ability because my brain memorized the puzzles on the first run through.
    And you can't exactly be surprised by your own puzzles.

Still loved WA and would be thrilled to see something similar.

The problem is that the peer-to-peer feature packs always always ALWAYS bomb. The gallery is different because it's just there if you want to browse. Requiring the gallery to complete a pack is a different thing entirely, and it's exactly why packs like Showtime are hated.

Let's assume for a second that akin to Outdoor Retreat, this pack has an aspiration that more or less outlines all of the content of the pack and demands you explore it. Tell me honestly: if you're planning a vacation for your Sim, do you want to thumb through the gallery to find 5+ usermade dungeons to download and try out, and repeat that step each and every time you have a sim revisit the location, all just for a brief, temporary vacation and the completion of an aspiration...?

That's also why I said I'd expect that if anything, they have an automated dungeon randomizer. That way the job is quick and automatic, doesn't have spoilers, and doesn't demand community interaction that many players loathe....but for all we know it's just five lots with five dungeons.

Oh I'd certainly hope for more than 5 lots. I would think that a pack focused around a new world and exploring that world would put the majority of the budget into creating the world, and pack it with as many lots, tombs, and ruins, as they can.
    I can picture there being maybe 10 or more ruins to explore on top of a basecamp lot. I don't know about you but 10 tombs would be enough to keep me busy for a long time, and if I can download a new tomb from the gallery from time to time (not 5+ at a time like you suggested) then that's fine too!

Given that both Outdoor Retreat and City Living were location-orientated packs and neither of them saw a spike in lot count, I find your belief that there'll be 10 lots in this one to be absolutely ridiculous.

Of course there won't be 10 lots. I think people are forgetting this is a game pack. And as good as game packs can be, even they have limits.

Game packs also tend to stick to themes, it's very unlikely this will be a pack that will focus on adventuring whilst catering to family holidays with all the kids and catering for romantic couples.

I will be surprised if there's design your own tombs whilst using the gallery because "design your own" anything when it applies to world creation and editing isn't an EA strong point. Case in point apartments. Not to mention like you say not everyone uses the gallery because of performance issues/poor internet and not everyone would be able to download from the gallery think of someone uses cc in their build and the person downloading it doesn't have it. Also if this game pack ever got ported to console it wouldn't work at all as currently there is no gallery on either console version.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    The GP reminds me of some concept art from ages ago.

Really curious about this one!

fxywc8.jpg

I NEED those windows.

Okay, yes, I will be so excited if it includes all this Voodoo stuff.

Maybe patch in more functionality for the current voodoo doll? It's kind of dull right now.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    If we do get explorable tombs, I get this feeling that the way they're going to try and sell it is by using the community.

"..AND WITH THE GALLERY, YOU'LL NEVER RUN OUT OF TOMBS TO EXPLORE! WITH YOUR CREATIVITY YOU CAN CREATE YOUR VERY OWN AMAZING TOMBS TO SHARE WITH THE WORLD! *insert corny joke about skeletons here*"

This is exactly what I hope they do! If there are tombs I would hope they'd provide the tools to build our own. I would love to be able to share something like this to the gallery. Once again, however, we've literally been given a 4 second preview of this game pack! We literally have no idea what it's going to have except skeletons!
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    a_niles06 wrote: »
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    Jerrello wrote: »

Controversial how? You are joking right..

There was a huge stink kicked up by the fanbase at the time, as the gameplay was considered un-Sims like.
    It also wasn't as financially successful as they hoped, which is why future EPs tended to play it safe.

I also seem to remember there was a MASSIVE issue with launch that people had trouble installing the game, getting it to work, etc. If my memory serves correctly, wasn't there some sort of issue with the region codes or something?? Like people couldn't install it because of some error with the region code or something along that line? I just remember that the launch seemed to be plagued with issues - which isn't necessarily unexpected with a first pack but it was a little over the top if I remember correctly. I think it really set people off and caused some negative views of the pack before it even had a chance.

I think the pack looks fun but I can't say too much off the whopping 4 seconds I've seen of it. I think it's very possible that, if it is at all vacation themed like Outdoor Retreat was, that there could be a lot that has a little beach area for fishing or something. I don't think we'll see the type of beach people are hoping for. I don't think there will be swimmable oceans/rivers/whatever. I'm not holding my breath for that period, to be honest, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised one day. As others have said, there were both jungle/ruins and beach elements in Twikkii Island. Who knows. I don't think I've seen enough to convince me there's anything beach related but I wouldn't be surprised and I wouldn't count it out. All I've really focused on is the skeleton, I'm intrigued by that! And the concept art that was shown earlier excites me - if they're at all related or if they're similar in idea/content, I'm excited. I get a very cool voodoo/ancient ritual type of vibe from that concept art which would be awesome. Tomb exploration would be fun to see back too - I agree that WA was not my fave TS3 pack but the tombs were fun to do once in awhile! I'm excited to hear more info on it :)

Does anyone know if the items in these teasers are shown in order of their expected releases? Both of these say winter 2018...I'm excited for laundry, but more excited for this so I would be ecstatic if this came first. But I'm assuming that they're in order of how they're shown in the teaser.

Our Sims can fish at the beaches now in Brendleton Bay but don't even have beach activities. You can't place anything on the sand.

You can place a tent, chairs, cooler or anything else that is in your sims inventory anywhere in any world can't you?

Yes you can. Pretty much everything from Outdoor Retreat is portable.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    The GP reminds me of some concept art from ages ago.

Really curious about this one!

fxywc8.jpg

I NEED those windows.

Okay, yes, I will be so excited if it includes all this Voodoo stuff.

Maybe patch in more functionality for the current voodoo doll? It's kind of dull right now.

Dull is a nice way to put it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    I don't care if it's set in a jungle (which would be something new) or on an island.

The only thing I'm hyped about is that we (probably) get tomb exploring like in World Adventures! :)

I'm right there with you on that point.

If they can do some sort of random tomb generation (with new loot to find) that would be awesome -- World Adventures got sort of boring after a while because once you did a tomb that was it; if you sent another Sim to that tomb all the loot was gone so there was no point in doing the tombs again (say you had a Sim that was following in their explorer grandmother's footsteps).
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I don't care if it's set in a jungle (which would be something new) or on an island.

The only thing I'm hyped about is that we (probably) get tomb exploring like in World Adventures! :)

I'm right there with you on that point.

If they can do some sort of random tomb generation (with new loot to find) that would be awesome -- World Adventures got sort of boring after a while because once you did a tomb that was it; if you sent another Sim to that tomb all the loot was gone so there was no point in doing the tombs again (say you had a Sim that was following in their explorer grandmother's footsteps).

Actually, the loot in the chests does respawn/reset if you go back but it takes like a day or something. You just won't get the quest loot again, unless you do the quest again which I'm not sure you can do.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    KatyJay88 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the different reactions the two sims had to the skeleton? The woman laughs, but the man cowers! Interesting.. wonder if that's a trait.. *GASP*

guys...

pZ5gK_s-200x150.gif

could they introduce the FEAR EMOTION?!?!!

Exactly my thought! Or the reaction is just completely random. (Which I don't hope :( )

Maybe we get both the Coward and the Brave emotion? The Brave Sim just laughs it off while the Coward is scared. You could still have that without an actual "fear" emotion -- you could have the Tense moodlet for being in scary situations, maybe a greater chance of bladder failure from being scared.
  • Options
    Thinking about the release date - Laundry Day Stuff was before this GP on the teaser so I am assuming that will be first. But they both said 'winter 2018' - in last year's first teaser Bowling Stuff was teased for 'spring' and came out at the end of March. So i'm guessing Laundry Day will be in a couple of weeks, and this GP maybe at the end of January or beginning of February?

I think we'll see Laundry Stuff by the end of the month, then this pack towards the end of February. They'll want to leave some time between releases. Or maybe this pack comes out in March with some sort of romance themed challenge in February for Valentine's Day (maybe a Romance Boost Week with Jasmine Holiday).
  • Options
    NikNakNikNak Posts: 302 Member
    edited January 2018
    alan650111 wrote: »

This is exactly what I hope they do! If there are tombs I would hope they'd provide the tools to build our own. I would love to be able to share something like this to the gallery. Once again, however, we've literally been given a 4 second preview of this game pack! We literally have no idea what it's going to have except skeletons!

Hence, why I posted in the Speculation thread.

As for your enthusiasm about this, others have already said why relying heavily on the community is a bad idea. Especially when some may not have constant internet access so they'll have to just play the same 5/6 tombs over & over.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    12JEREMIA wrote: »
    I don't know! Can somebody tell me what the heck do those hotels or rentals look like for the second vacation game pack?

We do not know anything about hotels in the GP. People are just guessing. I think it will be like OR with a campsite you can rent or some small cabins or medium sized houses for rent, like in OR.

Someday we may get hotels (I want a Bed & Breakfast pack instead) but I don't think it will be in this pack. It should be it's own GP one day.

I wonder though would they make us pay twice for tents and stuff? o.O I hope not. I wanted those things to keep being exclusive to OR.

Why? It would take no extra effort to add the tents to this pack as well, and would help boost the pack.

It would unboost OR. Plus I just want something new.

I don't think so, but maybe that's my opinion. I don't have any issue with packs offering the same content, we won't miss out from anything new because all it is is unlocking the object for other packs.

For example, the Get Together bush was added in Cats and Dogs as well, and it works nicely. (It's only buyable for yourself if you have get together though)

A new object I'd like to see that fits the exploration theme however are sleeping bags :)
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    Well, we're gonna need some kind of "base camp" in this new destination world.

I doubt we'll get campsites, because we already have campsites (and why would we buy Outdoor Retreat if this pack does the same thing?), so I'm banking on hotels instead. Maybe some beachside resorts.

And if the Maxis-gods are really kind, we'll be able to own those hotels like a business, and hopefully set them up in other worlds. I really, really, really want a ritzy high-rise hotel in one of the San Myshuno penthouses, and B&B's in Brindleton Bay.

As for other features, well, tomb-building seems plausible. I mean, it's just a bunch of buy mode objects that our Sims need to navigate past. No reason why we wouldn't get them. Maybe some kind of adventure system, too, where our Sims get sent out on different quests on various community lots in the world.

This is only a game pack. If anything they will reuse the rental lot setup that they’ve been sitting on since OR released in 2015. The GP looks like it’s taken some inspiration from Indiana Jones, and I can tell you he did not stay in hotels. Hotels realistically don’t fit with the adventure theme, but even if they did squeeze them in there is no way they could offer ownership, functionality, and a whole other adventure theme in one game pack. I think you are setting your expectations way too high.

Maybe more Build mode features, like grass-textured wall patterns to build grass huts? Or more hanging vines like the clinging vines from Vampires. I use the wall decor like the ivy and wall "holes" and cracks a lot to give builds a more worn-down look; I did a remake of The Old Salt House to turn it into a lounge/bowling alley and used the wall holes to make it look like a rundown warehouse. More features like that would be welcome. We've got some dirt floor patterns, maybe a few of those or some really worn looking flooring (like the Lub Dub floorng from Spooky Stuff) would work for creating rental huts or maybe a worn down bar.

I can see where some people might think we could get hotel ownership -- both retail and restaurant ownership came in GPs. I think a resort pack might be more likely to offer hotel ownership -- something that would include a vacation world with ocean swimming, maybe seashells as a new collectible (including some that can only be found while swimming).
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member

WA for me lost replay-ability because my brain memorized the puzzles on the first run through.

The problem is that the peer-to-peer feature packs always always ALWAYS bomb. The gallery is different because it's just there if you want to browse. Requiring the gallery to complete a pack is a different thing entirely, and it's exactly why packs like Showtime are hated.

Let's assume for a second that akin to Outdoor Retreat, this pack has an aspiration that more or less outlines all of the content of the pack and demands you explore it. Tell me honestly: if you're planning a vacation for your Sim, do you want to thumb through the gallery to find 5+ usermade dungeons to download and try out, and repeat that step each and every time you have a sim revisit the location, all just for a brief, temporary vacation and the completion of an aspiration...?

An issue is that the dungeon is already previewed before you download, thus you've seen it and know what to do before you've even begun. On top of that, eventually you don't have that same passion for wanting to make it new and exciting and you just want a quick vacation, so you stop bothering with downloading new ones each time. After all, your focus is the end goal or the vacation itself, not dedicating 30 minutes each time to strictly thumbing through the gallery just to find doable dungeons.

Some users play in offline mode because it gives better performance. Will this be a nuisance for them to have to log in every time they want to refresh their dungeons? Forced online gameplay is another matter too, if it went that far. I doubt it does though unless they've been drinking or something, since EA itself has been harmed by the backlash against forced online gameplay. (RIP SimCity)

Overall, making it a selling point that you can download other people's dungeon designs...? That just sounds like reliance on the community to complete the pack that you didn't complete. Yes, once or twice it'd be nice to mix things up and experience new dungeons, but the desire to download new ones would drop off pretty quick, I imagine.

That's also why I said I'd expect that if anything, they have an automated dungeon randomizer. That way the job is quick and automatic, doesn't have spoilers, and doesn't demand community interaction that many players loathe....but for all we know it's just five lots with five dungeons.

If players are able to customize their own tombs, highlighting this feature doesn't mean it's "reliance on the community to complete the pack that you didn't complete". Building is a valid and popular gameplay style. Adding customizable lots of any type caters to builders who build their own lots as well as those who share them on the community.

Sharing and downloading restaurants is very popular on the gallery. My restaurant lots are definitely my most popular downloads. But does that mean the ability to share your restaurants on the gallery was advertised as a major feature of Dine Out? Nope. And the ability to use the gallery didn't take away from my enjoyment of the pack at all - in fact, it's incredibly enhanced it because as a builder, I am motivated to share my creations with others.

Similarly, many players already have a gameplay style that involves taking some time to search the gallery for restaurants, townies, houses, and other lots. I find that an enjoyable part of my world building, as do many others. If you find the idea of searching for custom tombs tedious, that's fine, but it's no different than searching for custom anything on the gallery. Your analysis is pretty dour for something that's a hypothetical advertisement for a hypothetical feature.
  • Options
    keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member

Oh I'd certainly hope for more than 5 lots. I would think that a pack focused around a new world and exploring that world would put the majority of the budget into creating the world, and pack it with as many lots, tombs, and ruins, as they can.
    I can picture there being maybe 10 or more ruins to explore on top of a basecamp lot. I don't know about you but 10 tombs would be enough to keep me busy for a long time, and if I can download a new tomb from the gallery from time to time (not 5+ at a time like you suggested) then that's fine too!

Given that both Outdoor Retreat and City Living were location-orientated packs and neither of them saw a spike in lot count, I find your belief that there'll be 10 lots in this one to be absolutely ridiculous.

Of course there won't be 10 lots. I think people are forgetting this is a game pack. And as good as game packs can be, even they have limits..

But as far as I'm aware there are no limits to how many lots they can actually place in a neighbourhood, that's their personal preference. Granite Falls comes with 3 hoods, but the lots are few and far between because how many campsites do you really need? Not that many, and there's very little to do on the rental lots that you can't do on your home lot.

If they only made 1 hood for this new adventure world, they'd still be able to cram in maybe 5-8 lots in just that single space, so looking at the other 2 GP's that come with worlds, we'll be getting somewhere between 1 and 3 new neighbourhoods which could easily each fit 5+ lots.
    It's really not unreasonable to expect 10 or more lots, otherwise how are they going to fit all that new gameplay into the world without it feeling extremely constricting?
  • Options

Of course there won't be 10 lots. I think people are forgetting this is a game pack. And as good as game packs can be, even they have limits..

But as far as I'm aware there are no limits to how many lots they can actually place in a neighbourhood, that's their personal preference. Granite Falls comes with 3 hoods, but the lots are few and far between because how many campsites do you really need? Not that many, and there's very little to do on the rental lots that you can't do on your home lot.

If they only made 1 hood for this new adventure world, they'd still be able to cram in maybe 5-8 lots in just that single space, so looking at the other 2 GP's that come with worlds, we'll be getting somewhere between 1 and 3 new neighbourhoods which could easily each fit 5+ lots.
    It's really not unreasonable to expect 10 or more lots, otherwise how are they going to fit all that new gameplay into the world without it feeling extremely constricting?

It will have to at least have 5 lots that's for sure.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

It's not unreasonable, it's just unrealistic. Consider cats and dogs and expansion came with what 16 lots? It's not likely we will get ten lots. I agree it may feel contstrictimg but that's the limitation with doing an adventure pack based on one world.
  • Options
    Well, we're gonna need some kind of "base camp" in this new destination world.

I doubt we'll get campsites, because we already have campsites (and why would we buy Outdoor Retreat if this pack does the same thing?), so I'm banking on hotels instead. Maybe some beachside resorts.

And if the Maxis-gods are really kind, we'll be able to own those hotels like a business, and hopefully set them up in other worlds. I really, really, really want a ritzy high-rise hotel in one of the San Myshuno penthouses, and B&B's in Brindleton Bay.

As for other features, well, tomb-building seems plausible. I mean, it's just a bunch of buy mode objects that our Sims need to navigate past. No reason why we wouldn't get them. Maybe some kind of adventure system, too, where our Sims get sent out on different quests on various community lots in the world.

This is only a game pack. If anything they will reuse the rental lot setup that they’ve been sitting on since OR released in 2015. The GP looks like it’s taken some inspiration from Indiana Jones, and I can tell you he did not stay in hotels. Hotels realistically don’t fit with the adventure theme, but even if they did squeeze them in there is no way they could offer ownership, functionality, and a whole other adventure theme in one game pack. I think you are setting your expectations way too high.

I think you're right. I don't see them adding in a hotel theme on top of a vacation/adventure theme, there's not enough room. It will probably be the same rental system that we have in OR but maybe they'll take the suggestions and allow us to live there too, if we want.

So if there's no hotels, what's the new gameplay?

There's not gonna be enough lots for an interesting adventure system. We'll get 5-6 lots, max. At least half of those will be some sort of residential lot (rentals or hotels, either way).

I mean, I'm sure exploring the same 2 tombs over and over again is fun for some people, but for me, I need something that's got a bit more longevity.

Listen I hear you, and I agree with you. The game has tiny worlds, there won’t be much adventuring. I was simply saying that hotels don’t fit the theme, at all. I don’t know the new gameplay, I assume it will have to do with exploring tombs, probably solving puzzles, and collecting artifacts. It won’t be WA from Sims 3, but at best a super mega ultra ultra lite version of JUST the tomb exploration aspects. I doubt we will even be able to edit them.

I’m waiting to see what exactly they’re going for before I make any conclusions. GP’s have been decent, at least in my opinion.

You're making a lot of assumptions that "adventures" are the theme at all.

The "tropical island getaway" theme is just as likely (see Bon Voyage, Sims Castaway Stories and Sunlit Tides, for instance- the tropics in Sims games often have a strong Indiana Jones/Mesoamerican influence in their world design), and has the advantage of not just being limited to a single lot in which to utilize that theme.

World Adventures was also one of the least successful EPs of the TS3 era, and received a huge backlash when it was announced- I'd be very surprised if the higher-ups at EA would give the go-ahead to a repeat of that.

SimsCommunity said EA confirmed it as an adventure themed game pack. Take a good look at the packs icon and tell me what you think that is. Does that look like something that represents a tropical island getaway? No - it looks like something that was inspired by ancient civilizations (Aztec, Mayan, Zapotec, etc) all of which built elaborate structures that inspired the tomb exploration we see today in movies, video games, and other places.

I think our conversation has ran it’s course. There’s literally no information about the GP other than a 4 second clip and a confirmation via SC that it’s adventure themed. You don’t like that? Well that is unfortunate, but EA doesn’t care about The Sims or what The Sims players want, like, or dislike. They see $$$$ and that is all.

If they see $$$$ then they should know World Adventures bombed, and that repeating your past mistakes and expecting different results is the very definition of insanity.

The icon is a Aztec face thing. Yes.
    That doesn't mean it's going to be a repeat of World Adventures. It just implies that it's going to be set in a Mesoamerican-inspired world. Which, as I said earlier, is a common source of inspiration for tropical worlds in The Sims. The icon means exactly nothing.

And SimsCommunity are reporting on the trailer. I saw the same article you did. The Gurus can't talk about the pack yet. To anybody- especially fansites.

You can act like you're the authority on what this pack is if you want, but the fact is we're both speculating. Only I'm basing my argument on logic (good luck adventuring in 2 lots), and you're basing yours on "there's an Aztec mask! That means it's an adventure pack!"

World Adventures bombed? That's news to me. I wasn't a big fan of the tomb exploration (mainly because there was no purpose to going back to the same tomb after you looted it, plus later packs borked the excavation system until modders actually stepped in to fix it) but there were plenty of other attractions like new skills (loved Martial Arts). If they can do some sort of random generators for the tombs (where the tombs reset with new traps and new loot), you wouldn't have to worry about sending your Sims' kids and grandkids to the tombs and find them already empty. And the new world would be customizble like OR so you could add lots like a Mayan themed spa if you have Spa Day (complete with green water if you have GT) or an Aztec themed restaurant if you have Dine Out (with Mexican or Central American themed foods if you have CL).

One of the gaming sites is reporting it as an "adventure pack" and the devs aren't denying it:

And here's the link to the actual article: http://www.player.one/sims-4-laundry-adventure-release-date-teaser-122741
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    A 5-lot world doesn't get several themes.
    Granite Falls and Forgotten Hollow are focused on 1 unique theme.

Granite Falls has 7 lots, and 3 different locations.

One by the lake, one in the deep woods, one in the Mountains.

All quite different. So you could have a coast, a deep jungle and a 3rd location, maybe inside a tomb.

But the devs made it clear - gamepacks have one theme - period. GF is about camping - period.

True, but you can have a variety of environments.
    We had 3 locations within Granite Falls.

The person I quoted said both Granite Falls and Forgotten Hollow were 5 lots only, in one place :)

We can get a variety of locations within the same theme. One on the shoreline of the jungle, one in the jungle, one in some ruins or temples.

:)

GF is bigger than FH.

But even though GF has three locations they aren't different at all (and I'm saying this as it not being a problem for me, I like that they kept the theme steady).They are all in the same forested area. The first one is the lodging area, the other the deep forest and the last the hermit's secret hut.

They could do a similar structure with this pack -- 4 or 5 lots for lodging, amenities and such, the deep jungle for exploring, hunting for collectibles, etc. then a "secret lot" which would be the tomb.
  • Options
    keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member

It's not unreasonable, it's just unrealistic. Consider cats and dogs and expansion came with what 16 lots? It's not likely we will get ten lots. I agree it may feel contstrictimg but that's the limitation with doing an adventure pack based on one world.

Cats and Dogs came with one new lot type, the vet clinic, which you only need one of in any given world. Brindleton Bay didn't need many lots because there's nothing you can do there that you can't do in any other world. An adventure pack would for sure require a bigger number of lots because it will likely be the only place you can access the tombs/ruins/whateverelse, I very much doubt they'll be placeable outside of the new world, so again, 10+ lots isn't unrealistic. At least that's my take on it.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Cats and Dogs came with one new lot type, the vet clinic, which you only need one of in any given world. Brindleton Bay didn't need many lots because there's nothing you can do there that you can't do in any other world. An adventure pack would for sure require a bigger number of lots because it will likely be the only place you can access the tombs/ruins/whateverelse, I very much doubt they'll be placeable outside of the new world, so again, 10+ lots isn't unrealistic. At least that's my take on it.

For an adventure pack perhaps not.
    For a game pack yes it is when history has shown us they don't come with large worlds. I do agree with what you are saying but I don't think theres much hope of getting a world that's almost the size of the last EP world, not to mention bigger than a world that came with an expansion previously. Seems very unlikely. But time will tell.
  • Options
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    World Adventures was controversial? I loved it. What was wrong with it?

At the time it was. Personally, the EP has grown on me, I wasn't particularly fond of it in the beginning until I realized how much actual stuff was on it. Nectar, martial arts, photography, snake enchanting, three new vacation worlds, tombs, mummies, tents, learning cultural songs, etc. It has a lot of stuff and many of them were 100% new in the series.

I think a lot of people came to enjoy it even if they don't play the tomb exploring much.

That was the case for me -- after you explored a tomb there wasn't much you could do with it because it had already been looted, but there were enough other activities (including things you could bring back for the home worlds, like grapes for your home garden or the martial arts practice dummy and block breaker) that there was a lot of replayability.
  • Options
    Maybe I'm just beyond cynical at this point, but I'll say that tiny little teaser already killed my interest for the pack.

Sims 3: "Hey let's make an ominous Mummy curse that haunts your Sims and gets progressively worse til they expire, and it's well within reason that a Sim could die in a tomb!"

Sims 4: "Oh look an ancient mummy teehee teehee :) How nice! I should grin so hard my lips start clipping through my eyeballs. Life sure is great and fantastic and nothing bad ever happens! Infact, the ancient cursed mummy just started breakdancing LOL :D Weirder stories!!! LOL!! :D #BlameSteve"

Yeah, it's four seconds, and it still rubs me the wrong way. It's supposed to preview the pack, and we actually have Sims laughing about tomb raiding. Would they introduce that pack in such a way if that didn't match the tone of tomb raiding...? That sounds about right for Sims 4. Turn everything on earth into a positive story where nothing bad can happen, until we're all puking rainbows because of how sickeningly boring, bland and uneventful our gameplay is.

Granted, it could be the complete opposite. After all, it's just 4 seconds and World Adventures was a gameplay-focused pack. However, I've thumbed through and others have already pointed out that an adventure game pack seems difficult to pull off. The most lots we ever got from a GP was like 5, and a single World Adventures world had more than that. It's very difficult to picture them pulling this off unless they've made a system that randomizes dungeon layouts or something.

I just know my interest in this game is basically dead. Haven't played in months, and I don't even post here much anymore. Seeing that teaser and seeing a Sim laughing at a spoopy skeleton...? Yeah, I'm not exactly longing to buy the pack here...if it turns out to be good, then good for it, but forgive me if I don't manage to wait around to find out, cause I'm already seeing a red flag indicating another tell-tale habit of Sims 4 design. Best case scenario it's just the teaser maker missing the memo that tombs aren't a place to go to frolick through a daisy meadow, worst case scenario a mummy emerges from it's crypt and your Sim gets a +1 Tense moodlet.

They are laughing because because in Willow Creek the guy is talking about a Skeleton (probably referencing a curse) and afterward he’s actually turned into one.

I don’t see it a reason to be scared if a Sim they know is affected by a curse?

I’m sure if a Mummy causes the curse, they won’t giggle at the Mummy.

One was laughing, the other was scared -- could be representing Brave and Coward traits returning. The Brave Sim just laughs it off while the Coward Sim is scared (maybe increased chance of bladder failure if Bladder need is already in the yellow).
  • Options
    I'm sure they have something figured out for sims who might just want to relax in the jungle and avoid being eaten by piranha (that would be cool). Maybe a rental campsite or huts or houses that fit the location. It ALL can't be jungle. There might be a few natives around.

Rental huts could be cool, and provide new textures for builders (Grass wall coverings? Thatched roofs? Straw or bare dirt floor coverings?). Now that we've got the octagonal roofs patched in, that makes some cool octagonal huts possible.
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I’m so glad I have a failing memory :D I do remember some bits, but that doesn’t prevent me from enjoying them over and over again. Also because there are so many. I truely hope creating your own tomb will be an option by the way. I fear that’s not a given, considering we’re talking about Sims 4 here. Creating a tomb in Sims 3 is great great fun.

I mentioned it earlier, but if they could have some sort of tomb randomizr/reset function (with new traps and fresh loot) then you wouldn't have to worry about another Sim having already looted the tomb by the time your Sim gets there (especially those who play rotationally) and would keep the exploration aspect from getting repetitive.
  • Options
    A 5-lot world doesn't get several themes.
    Granite Falls and Forgotten Hollow are focused on 1 unique theme.

Granite Falls has 7 lots, and 3 different locations.

One by the lake, one in the deep woods, one in the Mountains.

All quite different. So you could have a coast, a deep jungle and a 3rd location, maybe inside a tomb.

But the devs made it clear - gamepacks have one theme - period. GF is about camping - period.

True, but you can have a variety of environments.
    We had 3 locations within Granite Falls.

The person I quoted said both Granite Falls and Forgotten Hollow were 5 lots only, in one place :)

We can get a variety of locations within the same theme. One on the shoreline of the jungle, one in the jungle, one in some ruins or temples.

:)

GF is bigger than FH.

But even though GF has three locations they aren't different at all (and I'm saying this as it not being a problem for me, I like that they kept the theme steady).They are all in the same forested area. The first one is the lodging area, the other the deep forest and the last the hermit's secret hut.

They could do a similar structure with this pack -- 4 or 5 lots for lodging, amenities and such, the deep jungle for exploring, hunting for collectibles, etc. then a "secret lot" which would be the tomb.

I wish this pack had snakes and crocodiles and monkeys but I just know that won't happen. But hey one can hope for fake toucans.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top