Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fix things falling out of the queue already!

ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
edited December 2017 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
It just keeps getting worse and worse. I'm not playing with mods, just repaired the game so I don't need that advice yet again, and it simply IS a gameplay issue. There are now so many reasons queued interactions disappear; some sim you're not even talking to wants to hug your sim, the dog needs to walk up to you and do I don't know what, your sim has to go "see what's happening" (whatever that means), the sim you're talking to has to stop, look at their phone, then wander off, etc. But seriously, for starters, I wish you'd dump the insanely stupid deal where if your sim reaches a certain point in, say hygiene, they will stop everything they are doing to wave their hands around and complain. I'm playing with no autonomy, and that's supposed to mean NO AUTONOMY! Meaning, I'm the boss, now do what I say! Plus, it's so ridiculous, because half the time they are queued to shower already, and stop because they need to shower, so I have to tell them to go shower. Again. Really? You're too dirty to get cleaned up?

And so many other random reasons are being generated by the sim with the queue itself. For example, I just had a sim sitting talking to someone, and granted their fun was a tad low. But not once, not twice, but three times they dumped their full queue of interactions to get up and swing their feet around in dismay. Once is bad enough, but I get it, you're bored, now sit your butt down and do as I say and you can dance later. It's so flippin' irritating having to queue it all up again for no reason! And what is the logic? They'll stand for an hour or more doing nothing with autonomy on, and cancel out interactions if you tell them what to do. Are you heading the game towards a statue simulation? At times I'm probably up to a 1/3 failure rate on queued interactions during a sim day, and it's unacceptable from a gameplay point of view. Can't play with autonomy on because they act like a bunch of 🐸🐸🐸🐸 when they even finally get around to doing something, but it's like pulling teeth to tell them what to do, too. I get that there are reasons things have to drop out or they would get perpetually stuck (although it's actually quite difficult sometimes for you to cancel something queued you don't want them to do, too), but they are now finding way too many reasons to interrupt their own actions, and it's really annoying.

It's like we have less and less control of the game. You guys program it to change sims into random outfits for some "theme" (although it seems a bit better now on that front, at least). Sim parent get calls from the school and such with no choice on them; you have one thing to click, and it adds to maybe responsibility and subtracts from emotional control. No choice in the matter. And Sims are constantly overriding our queued up actions, like a little digital revolution. Maybe the next Sims game should be called "Sims 5; The Anarchy Generation." It would be nice to put the game back in the hands of the player before the player has no reason to pick it up.
Post edited by ravynwolvf on

Comments

• Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I agree that sims just dropping actions from the queue is getting annoying. And it's always for the silliest of reasons too. In fact, this is actually one of the aspects of the game's AI that seems to have gotten worse since launch, where things in that department were much more smooth and efficient. Plus, the action cancellation has also taken a hit over time. You're like, "No, don't go get that mac and cheese, that's for dinner!" But, you hit the cancel button and it takes forever to drop out of the queue! By the time that your sim has stopped, they're already holding a plate...a plate that you then have to drag and drop back into the fridge and God forbid if what your sim was actually supposed to be doing was supposed to take place three floors up and all the way across the house! Oh, and sims going to make food when they're hungry when another sim is making a group meal instead of waiting like in TS2. Why haven't they fixed that yet? And don't even get me started on when you tell your vampires to fly somewhere as a bat and they just walk there...when where you wanted them to go was two floors up! When it comes to sim AI in this game, the jank is real...and it keeps getting worse.

Heck, even with autonomy off, you still have Toddlers autonomously begging to be let out of the highchair, which cancels anything and everything the nearest caretaker is doing, no matter what! You also have sims automatically cleaning up the dishes with autonomy off--which really shouldn't happen unless they have the Neat trait--which, in a home with multiple sims eating all at once, can lead to sims going off to clean up their dishes in the bathroom sink because the kitchen sink and the dish washer are occupied...and the action doesn't cancel until your sim is half way up the stairs, even though you X-ed it out before they even reached the kitchen door!!

And the bad part is, it wasn't nearly this bad at launch. At launch, with autonomy on, I could leave my game running unattended for five minutes and my sims would be just fine. Now? Leave them unattended for that long and it's Disasterpiece Theater... -_-;
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    I’m surprised there aren’t more responses to this. It was one of the many things that annoyed me last time I played. That and them not cancelling the actions I cancelled.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2017
    Completely agree with this. As for cancelling actions when they’re not happy: what if you want your sim to deal with the fact he or she isn’t happy? Make them proceed, feeling unhappy because there’s a reason to be unhappy for a while, but life goes on?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I could no longer bear these Sims overriding my commands. The AI is just as much trouble as in the other games and not anything to write home to mother about. No lessons learned in sixteen years. In this game I thought these Sims were not supposed to drop commands unless their motives were pressing them to over ride player commands. But that isn't true. They get up to dance, or go talk when all motives are full to max. You would think emotions are driving those actions if you are astounded why they do things when motives are already full, but that isn't the case, either. It's just a set of useless actions they cycle through because the AI is horrible.

Examples I can remember. Tell Sim to sit, (just for a moment while player deals with a different Sim) do they stay put? No. Even with Autonomy Off..This has never worked since day one. They get up to cycle through their obsessions (loops) dancing or talking over and over and over. When fun is full and social is full and no bad pressing emotion to make them do that, either. It's just a farse. At least in older games, though they may stand a few minutes more than I like they know they don't need to socialize more, they know they don't need to watch more TV, they know they don't need to talk and talk and talk themselves to death nor to eat when full. And in older games when I say sit, they sit until I make them get up. With or without autonomy on or off.

Frankly this was the most backwards Sims game I ever played. It has it's very good points but when it comes to if they are smarter, no, I would have to say no, someday I hope they finally get all this right in this series, and strike a happy balance the players can brag about.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Glad I'm not the only one who has found all this to be a problem. I can't imagine playing other video games and having them respond like sims. You'd tell them, "Shoot that raider!" and they'd say, "No, I think I'll check my Pip-Boy instead" and are quickly lying in a puddle of their own DNA. It's really unfathomable that somewhere in the game's programming, the numbers give priority to random actions over those directed by the player. Yet like a few people above said, at the same time, it's gotten harder to cancel actions in the queue. So it's hard to keep the actions you WANT in the queue, and hard to get rid of the ones you DON'T want. That's not so great, Maxis peeps.

Pretty sure it used to say "You Rule!" as a catch phrase for the Sims. Now it's more like "They Rule!"
  • Options
    Bluefairy286Bluefairy286 Posts: 254 Member
    I wished I could upvote this thread, because I love the sims but I end up getting so frustrated that I just turn the game off. I get that EA wants sims to be able to do their own thing when players aren't "controlling" them but if we have set our sims a task thne it should get highest priority.

In earlier games I was able to queue multiple tasks at the same time and the sims would do them without interruption. Now it's them moving about, talking to somebody, getting food and going to bed when I've asked them to do other things even when their health bars are still pretty much full.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I wished I could upvote this thread, because I love the sims but I end up getting so frustrated that I just turn the game off. I get that EA wants sims to be able to do their own thing when players aren't "controlling" them but if we have set our sims a task thne it should get highest priority.

In earlier games I was able to queue multiple tasks at the same time and the sims would do them without interruption. Now it's them moving about, talking to somebody, getting food and going to bed when I've asked them to do other things even when their health bars are still pretty much full.

Exactly! Plus, you just reminded me of those actions that you really can't queue up above certain other actions or else your sim will swap the order of the two! I don't know why that is going on, but my sims re-prioritizing my instructions is so not cool...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    Yeah, I agree with this. It's super hard to cancel the interactions and sometimes I turn the game off because I get so frustrated.
    p6tqefj
  • Options
    geoffreypageoffreypa Posts: 355 Member
    Rage quitter here over this subject agree with OP.
  • Options
    SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    Yes!!! I am mostly a builder and I decided to actually play the game after a long time of only building. No mods and I had laptop mode on which looks terrible, but it makes the game more playable.
    The father of my family went walking the dog for a medium amount of time. After one and a half hours he wasn't even done yet! So I get rid of the action in the queue and command him to go home. But he just stands there for hours and hours!!! Apparently he couldn't walk away or something?! So I had to get the wife to take the dog with her home and the husband had to go home alone. At this point it was already middle of the night.
    I literally don't play at all and I play once at it is just a complete disaster! It doesn't even work!! Like what?! It made me so mad that I quit the game immediately!
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I agree this issue is quite frankly embarrassing that this is a triple A game. What the player wants should always over ride the AI. Like has been said imagine that in a different game and people would not stand for it. Imagine telling your character to I don't know say shoot back at the person shooting them but no your character has decided its far more important to check their phone or initiate a conversation with some random meanwhile its raining bullets.

I love that in the sims 1-3 (I still play them all) that if I want to stack up a bunch of Interactions for my sims to keep them busy so I can check on a family member I can. They will just go through their list. If their needs drop say like energy then they may refuse anything physical but I would be able to see that and probably wouldn't be having them do anything like that any way.

The sims 4 I don't see the point in setting up anything in the queue as they will just cancel it for no rhyme or reason or decide that when I say go and paint the need to stuff the poor toddler into the high chair for the hundredth time to feed him animal crackers is more important. You Rule? Yeah right. I'll crack the jokes!

The AI will be this games downfall. After three years its getting worse not better.
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    Agree with all that's been previously said. I'd also like to add, it gets worse the longer you play. That's typically what has he quit playing and come b can days or weeks later. I hate the most is the cooking! One sim is already cooking, every teen sim and above now wants to grill or also start cooking instead of waiting. WHYYYY? This infuriates me. The using every sink but the kitchen sink. Inability to tell a sim is already in the bathroom so they just walk in. Why! I thought this iteration sims are "smarter" they aren't
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Agreed. My sims sometimes drop stuff from their que for no reason, and it’s really annoying. Sometimes I’ll tell a sim to eat, use the toilet, shower, and then paint. A lot of the time they just skip one of those things for no reason, and it really gets on my nerves.
  • Options
    NikNakNikNak Posts: 302 Member
    It really is just getting worse and worse. It doesn't help when they keep adding more interactions that override the player's input. I tried to play today, and it really is the most annoying thing having my sims drop everything they're doing to check on a toddler who is perfectly content playing with their blocks.
  • Options
    TheHavocadoTheHavocado Posts: 607 Member
    Guys, realize that (IMO) most AI sims has anxiety, ADHD, and major depression. Be a little bit considerate yeah ?
    Me, when triggered:
    CPwGluP.gif
    "All this negativity doesn't add up."
  • Options
    flintylime59flintylime59 Posts: 70 Member
    I agree with all of this. I've noticed it's gotten a lot worse just within the last year. It's much more trouble than it's worth to try and get your sims to do something nowadays. I really do love this game, but lately, the AI has just been terrible! I've noticed more annoyances/problems than actually playing the game. And it gets so much worse with more sims, families, as time goes on, etc. which is understandable, but at the moment I can hardly control my one sim and her dog. I think the multitasking has something to do with it, and I think the whole system needs an overhaul.
    "Embrace your flaws, work on your flaws, and don't be ashamed of having any flaws."

-Felix Kjellberg
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    Well, I too have to weigh in on this one. I play with autonomy off and most times they do as directed, but Maxis keeps coming up with these "cute" ideas. I use to be able to sit my sims down at the dining table and have them talk during the meal, the way normal people do... NOT ANY MORE!!! Now for some unknown reason, the sims instead of just looking over and talking, they jump up to hug the other sim and wonder off to sit on the couch with their plates in their pockets. Oh God!!! Why? So now I have them sit there like zombies eating like prison inmates. No talking allowed, while I cancel out the musical dishwashing.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yeah it's been an issue for me too. I also have the issue where actions to cancel out at all and noticed it occurred during the idle stream too. Anyways tagging @SimGuruArvin @SimGuruNick and @SimQARobo to see if it is a bug or just how the game was programmed and see if it can be tweaked any.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I made a very small mod I've been using in my game, and I've personally seen big differences; it's like a whole new (or old) game, and it's been much more pleasant to play. It puts a long timeout on the greetings (there appears to have already been one in place, and I just made it A LOT longer). I haven't seen a "stand up and wait for my wife to come over and hug me" for a couple of sim weeks. It doesn't work quite as well on community lots (and possibly if you bounce from house to house with very short times in-between in rotational play) because the game seems to create the need for the greetings all over again, but even there it seems a bit better. I uploaded it to Mod the Sims yesterday but they haven't done anything with it yet. Your mileage with it may vary, but I really found it helps.
  • Options
    MorinGlory23MorinGlory23 Posts: 64 Member
    I'm beginning to doubt that this will ever be fixed. The Sims 4 came out in 2014 and none of the major bugs have been really fixed. Like when they patch the game more stuff ends up breaking. I thought patches where suppose to FIX the base features of the programming. So why in now 2018 does my sims still feel the need to stop doing what I tell them to play with a ball of clay? (I swear the clay is evil!) You would think that EA would feel some sort of way when people compare their newer game to the older ones and more than often people say the older games are better. From a marketing standpoint, you would want the opposite. People should be saying how the newer game is better than the older ones. Granted there are some features that are better than Sims 1-3, but the overall gameplay isn't. If someone new to the sims asked me what generation I recommend, I'm going to say Sims 2 or 3. The Sims 4 isn't worth paying for as it is now. I'm really hoping that with all the cash grab EA has been doing with this game a Sims 5 will be on the horizon in 2019. I really would be disappointed if they continue to stretch the game out for another 2 years, it's just not worth it. Better to start on the next generation and take the time that a life simulation needs, hopefully going back to the roots of the Sims franchise, getting some help from the creator of the Sims, and listening to the community for an idea of what people want.
  • Options
    MadIrisMadIris Posts: 594 Member
    edited January 2018
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    Agreed. My sims sometimes drop stuff from their que for no reason, and it’s really annoying. Sometimes I’ll tell a sim to eat, use the toilet, shower, and then paint. A lot of the time they just skip one of those things for no reason, and it really gets on my nerves.

This. Along with dropping tasks, even though most of the lots have dishwashers, they STILL use the bathroom sink!!!! Musical chairs is back with a vengeance too. I never knew the term 'rage quit' until this game.

The motto should be "You DON'T rule anymore."
  • Options
    MadIrisMadIris Posts: 594 Member
    edited January 2018
    I'm beginning to doubt that this will ever be fixed... I thought patches where suppose to FIX the base features of the programming. So why in now 2018 does my sims still feel the need to stop doing what I tell them to play with a ball of clay? (I swear the clay is evil!)... People should be saying how the newer game is better than the older ones... If someone new to the sims asked me what generation I recommend, I'm going to say Sims 2 or 3. The Sims 4 isn't worth paying for as it is now. I'm really hoping that with all the cash grab EA has been doing with this game a Sims 5 will be on the horizon in 2019... Better to start on the next generation and take the time that a life simulation needs, hopefully going back to the roots of the Sims franchise, getting some help from the creator of the Sims, and listening to the community for an idea of what people want.

I think 5 will be worse and the thought actually scares me. EA knows there are plenty of people that will continue to snap this up, horrible AI, glitches and watered-down packs be darned. They don't HAVE to fix anything.
  • Options
    ravynwolvf wrote: »
    I made a very small mod I've been using in my game, and I've personally seen big differences; it's like a whole new (or old) game, and it's been much more pleasant to play. It puts a long timeout on the greetings (there appears to have already been one in place, and I just made it A LOT longer). I haven't seen a "stand up and wait for my wife to come over and hug me" for a couple of sim weeks. It doesn't work quite as well on community lots (and possibly if you bounce from house to house with very short times in-between in rotational play) because the game seems to create the need for the greetings all over again, but even there it seems a bit better. I uploaded it to Mod the Sims yesterday but they haven't done anything with it yet. Your mileage with it may vary, but I really found it helps.

Trust me I will run to look at MTS. Thank you for this. It was driving me insane.
  • Options
    I'm beginning to doubt that this will ever be fixed. The Sims 4 came out in 2014 and none of the major bugs have been really fixed. Like when they patch the game more stuff ends up breaking. I thought patches where suppose to FIX the base features of the programming. So why in now 2018 does my sims still feel the need to stop doing what I tell them to play with a ball of clay? (I swear the clay is evil!) You would think that EA would feel some sort of way when people compare their newer game to the older ones and more than often people say the older games are better. From a marketing standpoint, you would want the opposite. People should be saying how the newer game is better than the older ones. Granted there are some features that are better than Sims 1-3, but the overall gameplay isn't. If someone new to the sims asked me what generation I recommend, I'm going to say Sims 2 or 3. The Sims 4 isn't worth paying for as it is now. I'm really hoping that with all the cash grab EA has been doing with this game a Sims 5 will be on the horizon in 2019. I really would be disappointed if they continue to stretch the game out for another 2 years, it's just not worth it. Better to start on the next generation and take the time that a life simulation needs, hopefully going back to the roots of the Sims franchise, getting some help from the creator of the Sims, and listening to the community for an idea of what people want.

I have to disagree with that. I like the sims 4 a great deal, better than Sims 2 which is my favorite, and well I hated Sims 3. I have to say this because I dislike it when people post things such as; Get rid of Sims 4. I think the issue is that the developers think that most players play with full autonomy and want to see the sims always doing things, and they have gone overboard. Still I prefer the gameplay and the game. For me and many others it is indeed "worth it". So please speak for yourself.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    I’m surprised there aren’t more responses to this. It was one of the many things that annoyed me last time I played. That and them not cancelling the actions I cancelled.

This annoys me to no end.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1