Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We care! Supporting Simmers going through hard times.

Comments

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,759 Member
    edited December 2017
    hey Sims tabloid which has the acronym of 🐸🐸🐸🐸. you forgot to put a grilled cheese in with the movie poster of the "Great Potato Incident"!!!
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    SephardicSephardic Posts: 251 Member
    @rosemow, @fewlines and @samemie thanks for the kind words. Guess I'm a little upset right now. Life's not always easy, but I hope it will get better. I'm glad to have that support. Me and my dad have a meeting with my form tutor and co-tutor later on to talk about how to help me in school. :'(:'(
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,607 Member
    Sephardic wrote: »
    @rosemow, @fewlines and @samemie thanks for the kind words. Guess I'm a little upset right now. Life's not always easy, but I hope it will get better. I'm glad to have that support. Me and my dad have a meeting with my form tutor and co-tutor later on to talk about how to help me in school. :'(:'(

Hello @Sephardic
    It is great that you and your Dad have a meeting with your form tutor and co-tutor to work out ways to help you with your schooling. Your school sounds very supportive so that would encourage you and make you feel that they care. You will all be working together to make schooling the best possible time for you and to find ways to adapt things to help with your health issues.
    The meeting will go well because you are all working together for what is best for you.
    Sending a hug to you <3
  • Options
    @rosemow <3 yes, they've been very supportive of our family as my sister went there aswell. My co-tutor is a pastoral care teacher aswell so I speak to her alot.
  • Options
    AlienWithABoxAlienWithABox Posts: 57 Member
    I'm not so much the person going through a tough time...my mum is. I'm moving out and away from her soon due to university and she's never lived alone in her entire life. From living with her mother, to her first husband, to divorced and living with my sister, to my dad, to living apart from my dad due to his work but still having me around...to just her for as long as two or even three weeks at a time. My dad works in the city and only comes home some weekends.

All of this would a bit difficult but fine if it wasn't for the fact that my mum has mental issues. I've been a crutch for her over the past few years, helping her stay calm and focused on getting through the day. She's got a major anxiety disorder as well as a depressive disorder. Both are medicated and are getting better each day...but the problem lies in her poor memory and lack of self-confidence.

She can be halfway through a sentence and completely forget that she was even talking to me. She forgets anything and everything. It used to annoy my dad and I but I've come to sympathise...Dad has yet to. And when she does forget something, she gets frustrated and cries about how she can't do anything anymore. I'm normally the one who says "Hey, stop doing that! You're absolutely fine! You're working yourself up over nothing!" which brings her back to Earth and calms her down. A bit of tough love never hurt anybody.

What's going to happen when I'm gone? When I'm not there to say "It's okay. Here, let me remind you how to print the webpage/act when you forget something/not let Dad's grumpy mood affect your mood/etc."

I worry about her a lot and my friends at church have been praying that she'll be okay. I'm planning to visit whenever I get a chance, but I don't know how often that'll be.
    4weKOfz.gif
    Twitter: @AlienWithABox
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited December 2017
    @AlienWithABox: since you mentioned church, is your mum religious and does the church offer any social services for parishioners, or is she friendly enough with anyone to have companionship and assistance for when you're gone?

And since she's medicated, has she addressed the confidence issues with a doctor or therapist?
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    @AlienWithABox so sorry to hear about your mother. i know how difficult it is when a loved one has dementia. My mother had it from a stroke during the last months of her life. All you can do is be there for her as much as you can and show her a lot of love. you still need to get your education, eventually get a job, and live your life to the best of your ability. your mother would want you to achieve your dreams and goals. as a parent, we all want our children to succeed in life and be happy. i know i never felt like i did enough for my mother, but i honestly know i did the best i could.

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your mother. sending lotsa hugs. <3
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    On Thursday my day-program is going to PTC and the thing is I want to use Mom's bundy buggy so I don't have to wear my coat the entire time I'm there-since I had to do it other times and I get really, really hot having to wear it the entire time or have to have it over my arm the entire time-which is also annoying vs. having the bundy buggy I could put my coats in there as well as my backpack. I asked Mom if I could use it on Thursday if she was called in and she said she's rather I not borrow it if she was called in. Which means I would be forced to wear the double coat the entire time even though it's unzipped. Yet Mom allowed Dad&I to borrow the bundy buggy for the Centre Island trip some years ago??? And also not having the bundy buggy means I will have to be careful to buy only stuff I can put into my backpack or can carry.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    I'm not so much the person going through a tough time...my mum is. I'm moving out and away from her soon due to university and she's never lived alone in her entire life. From living with her mother, to her first husband, to divorced and living with my sister, to my dad, to living apart from my dad due to his work but still having me around...to just her for as long as two or even three weeks at a time. My dad works in the city and only comes home some weekends.

All of this would a bit difficult but fine if it wasn't for the fact that my mum has mental issues. I've been a crutch for her over the past few years, helping her stay calm and focused on getting through the day. She's got a major anxiety disorder as well as a depressive disorder. Both are medicated and are getting better each day...but the problem lies in her poor memory and lack of self-confidence.

She can be halfway through a sentence and completely forget that she was even talking to me. She forgets anything and everything. It used to annoy my dad and I but I've come to sympathise...Dad has yet to. And when she does forget something, she gets frustrated and cries about how she can't do anything anymore. I'm normally the one who says "Hey, stop doing that! You're absolutely fine! You're working yourself up over nothing!" which brings her back to Earth and calms her down. A bit of tough love never hurt anybody.

What's going to happen when I'm gone? When I'm not there to say "It's okay. Here, let me remind you how to print the webpage/act when you forget something/not let Dad's grumpy mood affect your mood/etc."

I worry about her a lot and my friends at church have been praying that she'll be okay. I'm planning to visit whenever I get a chance, but I don't know how often that'll be.

As hard as it may be, you can't make yourself totally responsible for your mum's health. It would be good to see if someone else can be around if she needs them quickly, like a professional or as someone suggested above, someone from you Church? Your mum might also find it helpful if you set up a routine of contacting her. So if you can call her every day or something (just a suggestion, I don't know your own circumstances and how often you'd be able to call, but just however often you're able) at a set time, then if she starts feeling alone or panicky, hopefully she can remember that she'll hear from you soon at X time. That'd also give her something to look forward to at fairly regular times :) If she has a counsellor or therapist, she's probably talking to them about how she's going to cope when you're not around all the time already. No doubt it'll be difficult for her, but gradually she's learn to adjust and cope on her own with the help of her counsellor, church etc :)
  • Options

Hello @AlienWithABox
    You are a very caring and loving child of your Mother <3 You want the very best for her. It is hard for her as she endures through her mental health issues and their effects on her life. It may help for her, if she hasn’t done it already, to work through with her medical doctors a way for her to cope when you are not there to assist her. Perhaps you could be in touch privately with her therapists about your concerns, and explain the situation, They may not be fully aware that she will be on her own, and if they are made aware, that can help them to assist her in the most beneficial way. Perhaps people from the Church could also be asked if they would be able to call in and see her, checking on how she is feeling and on her health, as well as being company for her.
    I send hugs to you <3 It is a hard situation for you and your mother. University studies are important in your life. Perhaps giving her a ring each day would help her, and would be a way of checking on how she is going that day,
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »
    On Thursday my day-program is going to PTC and the thing is I want to use Mom's bundy buggy so I don't have to wear my coat the entire time I'm there-since I had to do it other times and I get really, really hot having to wear it the entire time or have to have it over my arm the entire time-which is also annoying vs. having the bundy buggy I could put my coats in there as well as my backpack. I asked Mom if I could use it on Thursday if she was called in and she said she's rather I not borrow it if she was called in. Which means I would be forced to wear the double coat the entire time even though it's unzipped. Yet Mom allowed Dad&I to borrow the bundy buggy for the Centre Island trip some years ago??? And also not having the bundy buggy means I will have to be careful to buy only stuff I can put into my backpack or can carry.

Hello
    Your Mother would have reasons why she would prefer that you didn’t use it. Perhaps you could talk over with her why she prefers you not to take it. By doing that, you will be aware of her reason.
  • Options
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello
    Your Mother would have reasons why she would prefer that you didn’t use it. Perhaps you could talk over with her why she prefers you not to take it. By doing that, you will be aware of her reason.

I'm the one who "walked"/"operated" /"took care of" (for lack of a better term) the bundy buggy $_35.JPG
    the day the summer of the year Dad had to take me to Centre Island due to my height is similar to Mom's

and that included fiddling with the bungy cords to double/crisscrossing/etc over the item (ie backpack) in the backpack. As well as knowing where to "park" the bundy buggy at various rides. There was the accidentally running over a woman's toes on the way to the platform for the train but that was because of 2 things 1)the woman and her friends were standing right in the middle of the platform block people's way and 2)Dad was rushing me like usual
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Evening! Sorry for not responding as I've been out all evening. Currently going to sleep with Pippa. Had the meeting. I got a medical pass for school and the teachers are paying for a locker! It's lovely of them. Hadn't had chance to speak to my sister as she's been at a Christmas Ball for uni all evening. Night! <3
  • Options
    fewlinesfewlines Posts: 1,488 Member
    hi @AlienWithABox, i'm sorry to read about your mother and your worrying about her. i wish i could say something useful or comforting... all i can leave you with is a hug.
  • Options
    Evening! Sorry for not responding as I've been out all evening. Currently going to sleep with Pippa. Had the meeting. I got a medical pass for school and the teachers are paying for a locker! It's lovely of them. Hadn't had chance to speak to my sister as she's been at a Christmas Ball for uni all evening. Night! <3

Hello @Sephardic
    It is great that you have been given a medical pass and very kind of the teachers to pay for a locker. It will ease the strain on your body now that you are able to store things in the locker.
    It is special that you going to sleep with Pippa <3
    Good night! :)
  • Options
    Mom is going to 'think' about me borrowing the bundy buggy on Thursday (and I can take care good care of it..I mean I managed a 2 wheel suitecase whenever I needed too on my own so I think I could handle a 4-wheeled mini shopping cart
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Mom is going to 'think' about me borrowing the bundy buggy on Thursday (and I can take care good care of it..I mean I managed a 2 wheel suitecase whenever I needed too on my own so I think I could handle a 4-wheeled mini shopping cart

Hello
    It is good that your Mother may allow you to borrow the buggy :)
  • Options
    LyricSimsz15LyricSimsz15 Posts: 13,136 Member
    Hey guys. Just dropping in to say i hope you all had a good day :) I came down with a cold last night but i should be fine in the next few days.
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
    Check out my stories The Diversity Club and Lost Pride here on the forums!
  • Options
    Hey guys. Just dropping in to say i hope you all had a good day :) I came down with a cold last night but i should be fine in the next few days.

Hello @LyricSimsz15 .
    I am sorry that you have a cold :( I hope that you feel better very soon. Sending a hug to you <3
  • Options
    @rosemow, yep it's lovely of them. My sister gave me her wheatie yesterday, for my scoliosis, it's an owl and my mum bought it for her but my sister knew how much I wanted it as I took the wheatie with me when my mum was admitted to hospital. It's a special teddy in our family <3 No PE today! I have my medication for my back today to take to school as well. It's so nice to have easier schooling.
  • Options
    @rosemow, yep it's lovely of them. My sister gave me her wheatie yesterday, for my scoliosis, it's an owl and my mum bought it for her but my sister knew how much I wanted it as I took the wheatie with me when my mum was admitted to hospital. It's a special teddy in our family <3 No PE today! I have my medication for my back today to take to school as well. It's so nice to have easier schooling.

Hello @Sephardic
    It was thoughtful of your sister to give you her wheatie to help with your scolosis <3 It is doubley special because your mother bought it for sister<3 It will help you with your pain, I hope that your taking of your back medication at school goes well.
    Sending a hug to you <3
  • Options
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @AlienWithABox: since you mentioned church, is your mum religious and does the church offer any social services for parishioners, or is she friendly enough with anyone to have companionship and assistance for when you're gone?

And since she's medicated, has she addressed the confidence issues with a doctor or therapist?
    She's religious but doesn't really practice. I mean, I don't go to church either, just the Youth Group. I might bring up her maybe going each Sunday just to get her out of the house. The church is half an hour away and my mum is an introvert like myself so people coming to check on her isn't so much an option. She hates therapists and has been told she doesn't need one as her mental health is in check. She has a general practitioner though, so all is good. Her only issue now is her memory, which isn't really fixed by talking about it. As for friends, I wouldn't want to be friends with the gossipy ladies in my town either.
    Thanks for your suggestions though.
    @AlienWithABox i know how difficult it is when a loved one has dementia. All you can do is be there for her as much as you can and show her a lot of love. your mother would want you to achieve your dreams and goals.
    my thoughts and prayers are with you and your mother. sending lotsa hugs. <3
    My mum doesn't have dementia (confirmed by a doctor) but I understand what you mean. She's very proud of me and is happy to see me achieving. I'm happy to go too. Living rurally is hard.
    Thank you!
    samemie wrote: »
    As hard as it may be, you can't make yourself totally responsible for your mum's health. Your mum might also find it helpful if you set up a routine of contacting her. So if you can call her every day or something at a set time, then if she starts feeling alone or panicky, hopefully she can remember that she'll hear from you soon at X time. That'd also give her something to look forward to at fairly regular times :) If she has a counsellor or therapist, she's probably talking to them about how she's going to cope when you're not around all the time already. No doubt it'll be difficult for her, but gradually she's learn to adjust and cope on her own with the help of her counsellor, church etc :)
    If I in any way made myself sound like I hold myself responsible for her health, I apologise. I don't. At all. She is responsible for taking care of her health via medication and bettering her memory via puzzles and other things that exercise her brain. I'm just not confident I'm leaving her with enough commitment to stick to the latter. I'll be easily available if she needs tech help via text and there are plans for her to come and visit me and me visit her. She's going to miss me but is not the type to need to hear her children's voices every day.

As I said above, she doesn't have a therapist and doesn't really need one since her anxiety and depression is in check - it's just memory issues. Her memory loss is most likely due to the fact that she retired 4 years ago and now just watches TV, doing her embroidery. Once you stop using your brain, you start losing important functions. It's why most older people end up in homes. My grandmother kept all her wits until the very end because she did crosswords and sudoku every day. I'm buying my mum a big puzzle book and some jigsaw puzzles for Christmas. She used to do them a lot.
    Thanks.
    4weKOfz.gif
  • Options
    Hello @AlienWithABox
    It may be helpful and beneficial for her health and the effects of her memory issues on her day by day living , to try to encourage her to keep visiting her local GP. Perhaps you could be in touch with her or him, to discuss the concerns that you have about your mother. They would then be in a more informed position when mother has an appointment with them.
  • Options
    Hello @AlienWithABox
    It may be helpful and beneficial for her health and the effects of her memory issues on her day by day living , to try to encourage her to keep visiting her local GP. Perhaps you could be in touch with her or him, to discuss the concerns that you have about your mother. They would then be in a more informed position when mother has an appointment with them.

Perhaps I should clarify:
    Her memory problems are not due to any of her other mental health issues. They are caused by her retirement and age. This has been confirmed by a doctor. Going to a doctor constantly over that is both expensive and useless since they can't do anything to help her.

I worded it wrong as she does not have one set doctor. Moreso we have one set clinic we go to. We live rurally and the clinic near us (half an hour away) has ever-changing staff. Not a single one of them has a personal connection to my family nor does she see the same doctor more than twice. I used to have a set GP there but that was only because I was appointed one through Medicare (government healthcare) for disability.
    Working to her times was very erratic.

Perhaps posting here wasn't so much a good idea. I thought this was more of a "vent and receive good wishes towards my family" thread as opposed to an "advice" thread. That's why I wasn't super detailed. I was really just venting to get it out. Didn't realise people would try to give me advice.

We already have plans set in motion of when we'll contact each other and what to do when she forgets things or Dad gets angry at her. I'm the voice of reason so I'm trying to instil my sense of confidence and calmness into her so she can autonomously keep herself focused and confident in her actions.

Have a lovely day.
    4weKOfz.gif
  • Options
    Hello @AlienWithABox

Perhaps I should clarify:
    Her memory problems are not due to any of her other mental health issues. They are caused by her retirement and age. This has been confirmed by a doctor. Going to a doctor constantly over that is both expensive and useless since they can't do anything to help her.

I worded it wrong as she does not have one set doctor. Moreso we have one set clinic we go to. We live rurally and the clinic near us (half an hour away) has ever-changing staff. Not a single one of them has a personal connection to my family nor does she see the same doctor more than twice. I used to have a set GP there but that was only because I was appointed one through Medicare (government healthcare) for disability.
    Working to her times was very erratic.

Perhaps posting here wasn't so much a good idea. I thought this was more of a "vent and receive good wishes towards my family" thread as opposed to an "advice" thread. That's why I wasn't super detailed. I was really just venting to get it out. Didn't realise people would try to give me advice.

We already have plans set in motion of when we'll contact each other and what to do when she forgets things or Dad gets angry at her. I'm the voice of reason so I'm trying to instil my sense of confidence and calmness into her so she can autonomously keep herself focused and confident in her actions.

Have a lovely day.

Hello
    It is good that you and your family have plans for the time ahead. I hope that you will enjoy your uni studies, and I send a hug to your mother <3
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top