March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA it's time you start doing something about the entitled cc creators in the Sims community!

Comments

• BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    DivieOwl wrote: »
    I'm putting this in sims 4 cause this has become a huge issue lately that's still plaguing sims 3 as well but not as much since Sims 4 is the game most people are paying attention to at the moment. But I am fed up with this, I have kept my mouth closed long enough about this issue cause speaking about over tumblr with other simmers isn't really doing anything. But EA, it's time for you to pay attention to what these cc creators are doing in the sims community, it has gotten way out of hand at this point and it's ridiculous! These cc creators out here are using your property and charging the fan base for money when they know plum well that they shouldn't be. These people have seriously gotten extremely entitled and greedy when it comes to making cc, adfly is still a problem but these people like to play ignorant and act like its no big deal when people are telling them it's giving their computers viruses. These people do not care about our privacy and livelihood possible being ruined due to hackers cause they're too selfish to see it, they're only worried about lining their pockets. Now we have a bigger issue, and that's with cc creators going to patreon to make people pay even more. Patreon is a site for ACTUAL creators and artists, not people trying to leech off the sims and it's fan base! The sims is a HOBBY, NOT their part time job and no one is twisting their arm to make cc but for whatever reason these people think they need to be paid. These people need to do what everyone else has to do when money is short, and that is get another job instead asking us. There are cc creators who make cc, have families, go to school, have jobs etc and still don't feel the need to E-beg their followers cause they are doing it for the love and fun of sims. This is why sites like the sims3booty existed cause people we're getting tired of complete strangers telling them they need to pay them for some pixels, unless its directly from the company I'm not buying it nor giving these people money and I shouldn't have to. Listen I'm all for helping people and lending a hand, but this? No I'm cutting it here cause a lot these people are making up guilt trip stories just so we hand over some cash. And if you have the time to sit on the computer to make some cc, get on the internet, and play the sims while posting pictures on your little tumblr, then your money situation must not be as bad as you think it is compared to other people who are on the streets. No food, no roof over their head, dirty clothes worn for days, and yet you're talking about how hard it is on your extremely high priced gaming computer? No get out of here cause I don't want to hear that at all! I'm also tired of hearing "well they spent so much time on it so i think they should get something in return"....Um NO! That's not my fault, stop making stuff you don't want to make or even do. Ea y'all need to do something about it, put your foot down like you did with the sims resource and let these people know it's not okay and that if it keeps going you're going to take legal actions. At least contact adfly, patreon or whoever is in charge of these sites and let them know that this is your property and that it shouldn't be on here and to start screening for it. We're getting tired of this plum, we really are and we want it to stop ASAP. As for the people who don't think this is a big deal or problem that's going on you can read it here: http://sketchbookpixels.tumblr.com/post/167261049190/some-things-just-need-to-be-said

I know it's just cc but a lot of prefer to use cc over buying stuff packs the same way people prefer stuff packs over cc or have more options in game when there's nothing else available. Please do say something about this, I know it's petty stuff but its annoying and stressful to a lot people in the community.

Thanks.

P.S. Sorry for my grammar. I've never been good at writing or English to begin with.

Alternatively, no one is twisting your arm making you pay these creators for their cc. I only download CC that is free and tbh, have only stumbled across one or two pieces that a creator is wanting a donation in exchange for their content. I just skip those and I have lots of cc to chose from. There is lots of free cc out there, go find it. Maybe your method of searching for it is what is pulling up lots of paid content. As for patreon, I only sub to one person, Deaderpool who creates MCCC and I do that cause I want to, because I think his mod is amazing and I am grateful he is on top of patches and hotfixes and I want to show my appreciation for that. You don't have to sub to get the mod. It's still free for everyone. I understand where you are coming from, but it's all your own choice. No one is forcing you to pay for cc, especially when so much cc is free out there. I'm not behind EA getting involved in CC, cause then they'll likely put too many stipulations on it and our CC will dry up quicker than the desert.

I don't pay for cc, never have and never will. Again, no one is twisting their arm to create it and make it feel like it's something they have to do. No one is at these people's houses with a weapon to their heads while screaming at them to make cc. If you do something of your own free will then you shouldn't feel like your owed something. That's the problem with the world today, a lot of people feel like they need to be owed something instead of being generous, especially when people don't ask them for anything . Imagine if someone held the door open for you then demanded you pay them as soon as you walked through. I'm sure your going to give them some kind look like "are you serious?". Would you pay for that?
    giphy.gif

• auramarisauramaris Posts: 154 Member
    @Loanet I agree cc creators aren't a problem for EA, I never said they were anyway. On the contrary, having cc and mods in my game gives me more freedom to create a variety of sims and stories and it would be hard for me to keep my interest in the sims without them. And with mods like MCCC that makes your game run smoother and adds things like story progression, population options etc the game becomes much more enjoyable.

Of course no one will keep downloading seasonal mods after seasons is released but the point is having something that resembles seasonal changes whenever the players want them instead of waiting for an official pack for years. I used an autumn mod for my game last year cause I liked how the environment looked and felt more alive and dressed my sims in autumn clothes.
    Now that we have Brindleton Bay which gives off a more seasonal feeling I haven't considered downloading that mod again but it was useful for that time being and I had a lot of fun with it. I have seen what it would look like if TS4 had autumn before people who play vanilla thanks to that mod. I'm also planning to download the first snow mod this year.

I don't pay for cc and really appreciate creators who make great quality content for free but saying the people who do pay them are suckers is a bit harsh. I know a lot people who buy some TS4 packs only to get some CAS or furniture items from that pack rather than the gameplay aspect, would you say the same thing about them too?
  • husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    Ohhhh myy god these people who are wasting there valuable time in those cc are making money out of it

Omg this is so Outrageous

See this already sound ridiculous

I frankly don't think you deserve any cc at all free or paid any cc that ever exist didn't get made magically, there are a lot of time and work put onto them, so for you to be ungrateful and treat cc creators as some slaves that are there to make you more content for your game is pretty entitled itself .

Asking for some support isn't a crime
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

edited November 2017
    Ohhhh myy god these people who are wasting there valuable time in those cc are making money out of it

Omg this is so Outrageous

See this already sound ridiculous

I frankly don't think you deserve any cc at all free or paid any cc that ever exist didn't get made magically, there are a lot of time and work put onto them, so for you to be ungrateful and treat cc creators as some slaves that are there to make you more content for your game is pretty entitled itself .

Asking for some support isn't a crime

If it sounds ridiculous then don't come to thread, I'm sure there is something you've said that has sounded ridiculous to others on this forum. How exactly is that ungrateful, I'm not demanding money just cause I sat on my 🐸🐸🐸🐸 in front of computer and made some pixels. Boo hoo it took you some time and some work, common sense would say don't do it if you don't want to do something you don't enjoy doing.
    giphy.gif

• JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited November 2017
    Loanet wrote: »
    auramaris wrote: »
    @Loanet it's true that most mods like MCC, first snow etc break with new patches and creators have to update it regularly but cc items like clothing, make up or hairstyles don't break that often. I have some cc in my game that I downloaded when I only had the base game and still work with no issues so I don't think that way of thinking can be applied to those categories of cc.

MCCC breaks with almost every patch - it was down for days with the Cats&Dogs patch. Sure, EA could probably break out the lawyers and shut it down but it fills in holes, rather than replacing anything. It makes you MORE likely to play The Sims.

MCCC does not break with every patch, the Parenthood pre-patch and the C&D patch broke MCCC we have had a few patches in between these 2 patches that did not break MCCC at all. The patch came out on Nov 7th MCCC had its first hotfix Nov the 8th, so it was hardly down days before the first fix.

Most Importantly, MCCC is and has always been free, DP does have a Patreon page, for people that wish to support this mod, the only thing people receive with said support is that they get access to the mod about a week before he releases it to the public for free, so I don't see any reason why EA would want to "break out the lawyers and shut it down."
    "If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

• Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    There's ton of free CC (and mods) out there and there are also a lot of people who download the free and then turn around and upload it somewhere else charging the community money. I've never paid for any content I add to my game that is not EA and I never will. I don't use Patreon, as I can just wait a few more weeks/months and get the "premium stuff" for free when creators release it. I use TSR and I also watch MaxisMatch videos on YT from simmers I like and I have three more places to get free content. I get what you're upset about, but the person isn't making you click that pay option or download button. In the end until the entire community stops paying for even the slightest things (download baskets instead of doing one item at a time, quicker download speeds, first access to new content, etc...then its always going to be a problem. Its not something for EA to worry about, IMO, but something for the sims community who enjoy adding cc & mods to their games.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
    edited November 2017
    Goth583 wrote: »
    There's ton of free CC (and mods) out there and there are also a lot of people who download the free and then turn around and upload it somewhere else charging the community money. I've never paid for any content I add to my game that is not EA and I never will. I don't use Patreon, as I can just wait a few more weeks/months and get the "premium stuff" for free when creators release it. I use TSR and I also watch MaxisMatch videos on YT from simmers I like and I have three more places to get free content. I get what you're upset about, but the person isn't making you click that pay option or download button. In the end until the entire community stops paying for even the slightest things (download baskets instead of doing one item at a time, quicker download speeds, first access to new content, etc...then its always going to be a problem. Its not something for EA to worry about, IMO, but something for the sims community who enjoy adding cc & mods to their games.

I'm not really upset about it, it's just something that irkes me a bit. Kinda like how there's something that irks us about EA and sims at times. I don't pay for cc at all, it just makes me a little disappointed how money has made people greedy these days. I understand money is good and great to have, it's necessity but I also think people take advantage of others just to get it. And that's just what I see, simmer taking advantage of other simmers.
    giphy.gif

• Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    The guy who makes “the Sims mod we cannot mention by name on this forum” is making over $10,000/month with Patreon.

$10,000 people. Let that sink in.

Outrageous!

I have that mod and its hilarious that people pay for it when it gets released for free usually within weeks. Its insane to me that someone can make over $10K on a mod, especially when it gets released for FREE. The people to be mad at are the ones who pay. This guy made an awesome mod, but the people paying him are funding his very comfortable livelihood.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    Linamints wrote: »
    I am not going to defend adfly as a service, but I have to say for someone saying that content creators being greedy and entitled your post came across as one of the single most entitled posts I've ever read. EA does not own meshes that were not made by them or members of their studio, creators of these meshes retain intellectual property rights of THEIR OWN creations even if they adapt it for use in other games. Otherwise nothing would stop EA from claiming a mesh that someone converted for use in Sims 4 from another obscure game, it opens them up to be sued. That is why EA does not release meshes made by CC artists.

Also, patreon is a site for people to show their patronage to literally anyone who creates content, it isn't limited to incredibly narrow constraints. Almost any creator (Be it simmer, youtuber, DA artist, seamstress, glow blower etc) can post their content on patreon, and people can show their appreciation for sharing their content by donating whatever they want.

The attitude that you have displayed here strikes a serious nerve with me because some of the most talented creators who made their own from scratch content have left the community over just the last year or two because of how abusive the community was in return for them sharing their beautiful creations. Many modders have left as well, people who genuinely made this game more enjoyable have abandoned their mods because of this kind of mentality that the community is OWED their hard work.

I think that if anything has damaged this community it's seeing the people who loved the game so much that they spent HOURS making it better leave because of how entitled people became when they published their free content. To be honest, after hearing some of the things they've had to deal with I wouldn't want to put up with it without being payed either.

I'm friends with a few people who either posted mods or CC for free in the beginning, and quickly became overwhelmed once their content took off, a lot of people started using services like patreon because they couldn't keep making time for creating with their real life responsibilities unless that time spent was made more valuable.

Posts like this have a negative effect on CC artists, this mentality that just because they chose to share what they created you are entitled to their hard work and time genuinely hurts them, and that is why so many of the people who made their own content are leaving. In my opinion, if people depend on CC to enjoy their games (I am absolutely one of these people myself) they shouldn't have such an issue with showing a little bit of gratitude and patronage to the people who make the game better for them.

If it weren't for certain creators out there, I would not have played the Sims 4 past the early base game release. If it were not for mod creators I would never have bought other expansions for this game. I honestly wish more people had patreons because they deserve to be thanked and appreciated for the hard work they do to make my game a worthwhile experience.

um no, my post isn't entitled. I'm not saying " hey make this cc right now and you better give to me for free!" No most of us are not doing that, If i asked someone to create a piece of cc for me, then sure I would pay cause I asked them to that for me. This is about keeping greed out of the community and maintaining the fun and joy it use to be when creating and sharing you're ideas. I've never made cc, but I have made sims and houses and shared them to other people, not once did I ever feel the need to to charge them for that. And guess what? Building a house took me some hours or even days to make and I'm not using that as an excuse to make money. If it wasn't for the content creators that still do make free cc, a lot of people would have left sims 3 and sims 4 by now. Go look at the sims 4 videos, most them have cc thanks to free creators. Actually a lot of people said they would not mind a donation but a lot of them do not provide one.

Here is the primary difference though, you creating sims and building houses is just you playing the game, it is not you producing your own original from scratch work. It is entirely different, building and creating sims is a huge chunk of the actual game play, it would make no sense for you to charge people for just playing the game.

Ea can only claim rights to content derived from their content, so people who edit EA meshes and textures can't claim their work as their creation because they didn't make it, they just edited someone else's work. A mesh made independent of any EA mesh is not owned by EA, otherwise EA can claim literally ANY mesh that is adapted for use in the sims, even meshes owned by other big companies. This would cause a lot of legal issues for EA if they actually tried to use user generated CC. And no official Sim videos that I've ever seen have CC shown in them, only player videos use CC.

And your post does come across as incredibly entitled. The way your post read to me was "I do not feel creators deserve anything for their work because I can't have the CC I want because they want me to pay for it", and the danger of adfly was more an after thought. The way you belittled people who do make a living off of their creations came off as you resenting them for daring to charge for making original content that cannot be gotten elsewhere.

I did actually take up learning what goes into making CC and dear god, the amount of work that goes into each piece is incredibly frustrating. So I present to you a simple challenge, if you think the work done by CC creators is so worthless, go and try to learn to do it yourself, and see how hard it is. Maybe actually making your own CC from scratch will give you some insight and appreciation for the people who make the CC you use.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    The guy who makes “the Sims mod we cannot mention by name on this forum” is making over $10,000/month with Patreon.

Outrageous!

Learn coding. Understand that it’s hard. Start making your own huge mod. Finish it. And stop being jealous.
    I feel like most of you people are just jealous that other people make money off of something you can’t make money off.
    Turbo doesn’t force people to pay him. People choose to pay him to have a faster acces to new releases and mod support.
    His mod is also available free for everyone who wishes to have it.

Yep. Coding is super hard and I only know Java and a bit of Python. It's a killer though. I struggled in my Java class :s Programmers make a cra.p ton of money. I applaud them because it's quite difficult, and almost an art in itself.
    p6tqefj
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited November 2017
    I've never really understood why this bothers people. What's the difference between you not paying for the CC and the creator simply not making it? Either way you just won't get to use it.

As for the legality of it, frankly I don't know whether it's legal or not but if EA isn't doing anything about it why should anyone else care? To me, if modders, youtubers, and streamers can use the game to make a hefty salary (mind you, these are all things one could consider "hobbies" as well) I see no reason why custom content makers should have to just sit on the sidelines.

Me personally? I'd never ever pay for CC. So I don't. In my mind it's really that simple. If anything it should make people more appreciative of the creators who actually use a lot of their time to push out high quality content (not just random recolors to gain tumblr followers, but that's another story for another day) for free.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    If it sounds ridiculous then don't come to thread, I'm sure there is something you've said that has sounded ridiculous to others on this forum. How exactly is that ungrateful, I'm not demanding money just cause I sat on my plum in front of computer and made some pixels. Boo hoo it took you some time and some work, common sense would say don't do it if you don't want to do something you don't enjoy doing.
    But most do get some kind of enjoyment from it, I assume. Time doesn't come cheap though, even if you're partially enjoying yourself. Thus, asking for something financial to justify the time put in.

I don't know where you've been seeing these supposedly terrible attitudes you describe, but it's not most of the modders that I've seen. Most of them don't even bring up the D word, much less use ads or paywalls. And some of them actually refuse donations, even when offered.

But there is something that may be difficult to understand if you've never been deep in some kind of creative work and that's the fact that, for the most part, people who get deep into it out of passion wish the word money would go away and bother someone else. They often wish that they could just do creative work the way someone else does other types of work, and get paid for it in a similar fashion; not because they want money, but because they want to be able to afford to continue doing it.

Then you have people who think that those who do creative work aren't actually working because "fun," which is pure myth and contributes to attitudes that makes it difficult for creative work to get proper compensation. Although it's true that people who are passionate about some form of creative work may get more enjoyment out of it than they would working a coal mine, most of it is still just arduous labor. And, in fact, some of it can be uniquely draining in a way that more basic types of labor aren't, making it difficult to sustain over long periods of time without breaks.

Sometimes there are people in the creative world who steal the work of others and use it for financial gain, and they give everyone a bad name. But the small comfort for those of us who are putting in the hours is that the ones who steal, rather than work, will never develop creative skill. They will become dependent on stealing and it will become a dead-end, wasteful path for them. So in a way, they dig their own grave, creatively speaking.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I have that mod and its hilarious that people pay for it when it gets released for free usually within weeks. Its insane to me that someone can make over $10K on a mod, especially when it gets released for FREE. The people to be mad at are the ones who pay. This guy made an awesome mod, but the people paying him are funding his very comfortable livelihood.
    Comfortable for now, but keep in mind, it's very tenuous. He has to stay on top of coming up with updates that will keep people interested and satisfy them, as well as updating for patches. And if/when TS4's successor comes along, his income could go poof pretty fast.

It looks good on the surface, but it's not exactly the most financially secure of ways to be making money.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I have to say that it is a very sad day for The Sims community when it is more apparent that 'creators' start making the game their own business rather than provide something just for enjoyment. :(

It might not be anything new and I don't pay much attention to any CC form any games now apart from one or two items (a hair style for TS3 being the most recent CC I own) but I remember the good old days of TS1 where TSR was a run place to browse and download stuff. Years later I was lurking on there and went back and was pleasantly surprise to see stuff that I downloaded years ago is still available many years later :smile:

Thing have changed I guess?

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • LouciferLoucifer Posts: 199 Member
    > @Loanet said:
    > auramaris wrote: »
    >
    > I use a lot of cc in my game and while I don't like that some creators want to charge you for downloading cc, I somewhat understand their reasoning. They are spending time and effort on creating new meshes and adding a ton of recolors and if they think that effort worths some money that's fine by me, I'm not going to pay for it but if there are people who really like the content they're putting out and want to have them in their game they can just act like they're paying for a stuff pack or something. The money they want usually isn't that much anyway.
    > Think of all the youtubers that are getting paid for providing you with entertainment and game content by playing the game, building lots or creating sims.
    >
    > My actual problem with those creators is that I recently read a post on tumblr and found out some of them are stealing meshes from other games like IMVU and Second Life and acting like they created them. That's just disrespectful to the creators of the original meshes and those are what they shouldn't be getting paid for.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > EA doesn't bother to take these people to court because every patch and pack tends to break mods or just make them pointless anyway. For that matter, EA actually has the RIGHT to take your free CC, and put it into their next pack that most people pay for, if they think it's popular and good enough. Since you weren't making money off it in the first place, you have no case.
    >
    > Paid CC makers find that their stuff can never stand up to the official release and breaks with patches anyway so it's barely worth it.
    >
    > There are a few mods for seasons out there. EA isn't going to not make Seasons because of them. If you paid for it, it'll probably break, you'll find it didn't stand up to the official release and you are a sucker. If you didn't pay for it, it's probably aesthetic and will be broken with the official release anyway.
    >
    > Free CC makers are basically slave labour for EA. Why would EA want to put them off?
    >
    > Paid CC makers are used by a minority of people and never stand up to the official release anyway.

Not completely true, while i am sure there are scamers out there making cc, I have run cc since i started with Sims 2 mostly wikked wims and sims store till Sims 4 came out. And yes the cc from wikked wims breaks for "some" EPs vampires, pets were the only ones I had to "call" the creator on, but they fixed it with in a week. That said if you think EA does not know about these creator think again. Sims is a game geared to a crowd of kids 13 and up about 20 to 30% of the world population. If a creator gets the source code mods the game to make it apealing to older people the sales just got a Huge boost. Not saying there are not scamers that make bad cc but go to a site u trust a site that has a contact us button that really works. And if u do not like cc do not use it or go to the sites that do. You always have the option to hit the "X" in your browser.

I also have all the game and stuff packs except, the toddlers one raised my kids do not want to play that game again lol,
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny
    Thomas Jefferson (3rd US President)
  • FalyniosFalynios Posts: 298 Member
    edited November 2017

Why would you be mad at those people? You realize without them, you would not be getting the mod for free (or possibly at all?)
    The guy works full time putting real developer level work into his mod. He could be making just as much working for some tech or game company if he wanted to.
  • LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    If it sounds ridiculous then don't come to thread, I'm sure there is something you've said that has sounded ridiculous to others on this forum. How exactly is that ungrateful, I'm not demanding money just cause I sat on my plum in front of computer and made some pixels. Boo hoo it took you some time and some work, common sense would say don't do it if you don't want to do something you don't enjoy doing.
    But most do get some kind of enjoyment from it, I assume. Time doesn't come cheap though, even if you're partially enjoying yourself. Thus, asking for something financial to justify the time put in.

I don't know where you've been seeing these supposedly terrible attitudes you describe, but it's not most of the modders that I've seen. Most of them don't even bring up the D word, much less use ads or paywalls. And some of them actually refuse donations, even when offered.

But there is something that may be difficult to understand if you've never been deep in some kind of creative work and that's the fact that, for the most part, people who get deep into it out of passion wish the word money would go away and bother someone else. They often wish that they could just do creative work the way someone else does other types of work, and get paid for it in a similar fashion; not because they want money, but because they want to be able to afford to continue doing it.

Then you have people who think that those who do creative work aren't actually working because "fun," which is pure myth and contributes to attitudes that makes it difficult for creative work to get proper compensation. Although it's true that people who are passionate about some form of creative work may get more enjoyment out of it than they would working a coal mine, most of it is still just arduous labor. And, in fact, some of it can be uniquely draining in a way that more basic types of labor aren't, making it difficult to sustain over long periods of time without breaks.

Sometimes there are people in the creative world who steal the work of others and use it for financial gain, and they give everyone a bad name. But the small comfort for those of us who are putting in the hours is that the ones who steal, rather than work, will never develop creative skill. They will become dependent on stealing and it will become a dead-end, wasteful path for them. So in a way, they dig their own grave, creatively speaking.

Your post was beautifully written and very well put. Thank you for your post.

"Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,514 Member
    Personally, I think it is up to the individual if they want to charge for their cc or not. Just as it is up to the individual whether they want to pay for it.

I would never pay for cc, but I prefer EA's stuff anyway.
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    @Triplis Agreed. o:)
    p6tqefj
  • KarallyneKarallyne Posts: 362 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I've never really understood why this bothers people. What's the difference between you not paying for the CC and the creator simply not making it? Either way you just won't get to use it.

As for the legality of it, frankly I don't know whether it's legal or not but if EA isn't doing anything about it why should anyone else care? To me, if modders, youtubers, and streamers can use the game to make a hefty salary (mind you, these are all things one could consider "hobbies" as well) I see no reason why custom content makers should have to just sit on the sidelines.

Me personally? I'd never ever pay for CC. So I don't. In my mind it's really that simple. If anything it should make people more appreciative of the creators who actually use a lot of their time to push out high quality content (not just random recolors to gain tumblr followers, but that's another story for another day) for free.

The TSO and other EULAs say you can't charge for items created by Maxis and published by EA. It's against the law, period. But EA has supported/promoted and interviewed and promoted those interviews with sites and creators who do. TSR is a fine example. They paid Youtubers to review their games for years...it's a travesty of justice and hypocritical EA business practice. Say one thing, and do another, on the down lo.

on paper it's illegal, but of course those lines get greyed when instead of "paying for items created by EA" you're "making a donation for someone's time and efforts"
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited November 2017
    you can make money off modded game content, you can make money off making let's play videos, you can make money off building houses in The Sims and showcasing your builds.

It's not up to you to decide what is and isn't a job. If the person is selling something others are willing to pay for and you're not, then you're free to walk away and not buy that.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    The TSO and other EULAs say you can't charge for items created by Maxis and published by EA.

But you're not? You're not paying for The Sims 4. You're paying for something someone else MADE for The Sims 4. Same as with videos, you're paying to see other player's commentary. Which is why let's playing, unless banned by the company, is not illegal.
    I'm just going to leave this here, I'm sleepy and have work soon, I didn't know i got more answers already:
    EA%2BUser%2BAgreement%2BSec%2B5%2Bpar%2B5.jpg[img][/img]
    giphy.gif

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,216 Member

Outrageous!

And just how do you know this? For one, I believe I know which mod you mean. I have to say, the mods can be downloaded for FREE. So, if he's getting paid by anyone, he's certainly sharing the mods with those of us who choose to use them. And, he's very quick to update them, too. You're making a very serious allegation, sir.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top