Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

C&D Vet Clinic - Are you serious???

Ok, let me see here if I have this straight. You go through all that training so your sim can achieve the "doctor" career... but (upon completing the career) you can't open your very own clinic and service sim patients....... BUT....

..... without any training whatsover, you can open up your very own vet clinic and diagnose and treat animals. I mean wow... seriously?

(In other news)
.... After completing the Chef's career, we can't even work in our own restaurant.

Am I missing something??? I mean.... what???

I try to give each pack, as well as the game itself, a fair chance. I know not everything will be perfect, or to my particular preference. But OMG. Sometimes its very difficult to defend the way the game (or packs) are setup.

Comments

• Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    I work with it as well. I just don't think it was very well thought out.
  • Options
    haituva wrote: »
    At least Vet clinics are an improvement compared to both the GTW hospitals and the DO restaurants. In that: 1. Clinics are not hidden lots, and we can take our pets to be treated when they get sick, and 2. Our Sims and their family members can work at the clinic and actually treat patients.

I'd be happy if business owners just wouldn't appear as unemployed (but rather "vet clinic owner", "restaurant owner", "retail owner", or "business owner" if the Sim owns multiple businesses).

I agree on both opinions. The vet clinic seems to work a bit better, and having them not a hidden lot was nice. Also, your second point... having the sims listed as unemployed is a pet peeve (agreed).
  • Options
    RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member
    edited November 2017
    Personally I think we should've been given the option to work as a vet, and then given the option to open a clinic only once reaching the top of the career. Would've made the game more of a challenge (in a good way) and something to work towards.

The Sims 4 packs really aren't very consistent and it stands out like a sore thumb. In this case the vet thing is inconsistent with the doctor career (not a career yet the doctor is) and DO (DO you can't play the chef or have family working for you but you can with vets). It all makes no sense and feels disjointed. At least in the Sims 2 everything was made to seamlessly integrate with everything else and nothing seemed out of place. And it wasn't "too hard" to add options with new packs that integrated with or enhanced previous packs (the pet pen added with Apartment Life, using features of previous packs with Open for Business such as running restaurants).
    Post edited by RnM92 on
  • Options
    Caszidy215Caszidy215 Posts: 310 Member
    I think I see where your frustration is at but you have to remember this game is 3 years old now. The Sims series is not known for going back and making changes to old packs and they don't get funding to do that this is why they only add and not improve upon older packs. The modding community would be a better bet at fixing the unemployment thing and being able to work in their own restaurants. I agree with you that it doesn't make much sense for the sake of continuity, but at least they are making the careers better and not worse.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited November 2017
    Caszidy215 wrote: »
    I think I see where your frustration is at but you have to remember this game is 3 years old now. The Sims series is not known for going back and making changes to old packs and they don't get funding to do that this is why they only add and not improve upon older packs. The modding community would be a better bet at fixing the unemployment thing and being able to work in their own restaurants. I agree with you that it doesn't make much sense for the sake of continuity, but at least they are making the careers better and not worse.

They did that alot back in the Sims 2 days, and now they can't do it even though it's supposed to be a 'live service'?! They're just lazy - not the devs, the company.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    Perhaps, the Team will see these opinions and use them toward making a better Sims5, by incorporating some of it? Best we can hope for at this late stage.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    umbralshadowsumbralshadows Posts: 212 Member

this
    umbralsimoirsig.png
    lookin for lets players an reviewers for tha short/demo version a my game
    download here
  • Options

They wouldn't have really had to "gone back" and made fixes. They simply just need to add Vet as a career, before opening clinic. At least the vet clinic would have made better sense.
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    muzickmage wrote: »

They wouldn't have really had to "gone back" and made fixes. They simply just need to add Vet as a career, before opening clinic. At least the vet clinic would have made better sense.

The vet clinic, as set up here, is basically owning a business as opposed to a career. They could have simply made it a rabbit hole type of career that you never see.....or an active career that you go to like the doctor. Instead, those chose to make it a business like owning a restaurant which gives you the ability to buy, create, design and edit the vet clinic....it also gives you the ability to visit the clinic for your sick pets even if you don't own the clinic (you can't go to the doctor's lot outside of working there). There's a lot more tie-in to the EP by making it an owned business as opposed to an active career or a rabbit hole career so I'm glad they chose this route.

If this were a Vet EP, I'm sure they would have done an active career also but they are working within a production budget so they can't do everything they may want to do....if they had also made an active career, then something else would have gotten cut.
  • Options
    JimG72 wrote: »

The vet clinic, as set up here, is basically owning a business as opposed to a career. They could have simply made it a rabbit hole type of career that you never see.....or an active career that you go to like the doctor. Instead, those chose to make it a business like owning a restaurant which gives you the ability to buy, create, design and edit the vet clinic....it also gives you the ability to visit the clinic for your sick pets even if you don't own the clinic (you can't go to the doctor's lot outside of working there). There's a lot more tie-in to the EP by making it an owned business as opposed to an active career or a rabbit hole career so I'm glad they chose this route.

If this were a Vet EP, I'm sure they would have done an active career also but they are working within a production budget so they can't do everything they may want to do....if they had also made an active career, then something else would have gotten cut.

The could have done both. They could have split up the Doctor career that they already have. After level 6 choose which career you want... Sim doctor, or animal doctor. They already coded in the animations for pet examinations, as well as created the examination table and a couple other machines. Something better could have been worked out without having to start again from scratch.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Ok, let me see here if I have this straight. You go through all that training so your sim can achieve the "doctor" career... but (upon completing the career) you can't open your very own clinic and service sim patients....... BUT....

..... without any training whatsover, you can open up your very own vet clinic and diagnose and treat animals. I mean wow... seriously?

(In other news)
    .... After completing the Chef's career, we can't even work in our own restaurant.

I try to give each pack, as well as the game itself, a fair chance. I know not everything will be perfect, or to my particular preference. But OMG. Sometimes its very difficult to defend the way the game (or packs) are setup.

I totally agree with your point. It seems a waste that owning venues can't be part of the progression in a career after reaching the higher levels. Though, with the chef career, it is possible to open a restaurant. Only, you can't cook. I have a Sim that I plan to do this with. I know that she can't cook at her new place. I'll just have to pretend, like Gordan Ramsey, she owns the place and she can chew out her employed chef's for under performing.

Yeah...that's all I've got. More pretending, but...

Too bad that doctors don't have the same option.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member

(In other news)

I was very disappointed when I bought Dine Out and my Chef sim could not work in the kitchen. I think it would be really interesting to have some kind of schooling/intern system for the Vet. Not many people just one day decide to open a Vet office.
  • Options
    JimG72 wrote: »

The could have done both. They could have split up the Doctor career that they already have. After level 6 choose which career you want... Sim doctor, or animal doctor. They already coded in the animations for pet examinations, as well as created the examination table and a couple other machines. Something better could have been worked out without having to start again from scratch.

I like where your thinking is with this but I want to caution that its easier to sit on the side and say what devs could have done. Devs function within a time limit. They have deadlines - they don't have that many devs for a game that is as heavily coded as The Sims is. I think sometimes we get caught up in what we want and don't appreciate what we have. I am in no way excusing EA for taking away focus on the Sims franchise -- However, give the Devs some credit, I think they did a great job with limited resources and I appreciate the direction. To people who think The Sims 5 will miraculously address everyone's desires -- It won't.
  • Options
    Also, when have you ever known devs to go into something that is already fleshed out (careers) and change them so that they can fit the new EP? They never ever have done that. I am assuming it was for good reason (from the dev side anyway). I remember with the Sims 3 I used to always wonder why they didn't add more playable careers -- its because once they finished Ambitions -- that was it. They would not dedicate devs to something that is already done unless it is to patch. With the Sims 4 we have gotten spoiled because they are willing to go in and add core features for free -- which is cool -- but usually, that does not happen in the gaming community.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I don't really find it all that interesting. I think you could set up your own little lab at home.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I get what your and it frustrates me as well our sick Sims only have to take medication and their fine no going to the doctors nothing Sims pets get sick time for the vet like.... why can't the Sims do that? But than again they probably can't fix it. I mean I would love for that to happen.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    To keep it short: It's a selling point! What else, other than the all CAST/C(R)AP-fiasco, is there to C&D expansion pack? Making Vet Clinic/Retail is one of the two things that is a selling point to an expansion pack, so they knew they had to do right and not screw it up B)
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I actually LOVE the OP's idea - once a Sim has achieved the top level of the Doctor's career, they can go ahead and open up their own clinic - like the Vet Clinic - on a visible, not hidden lot - and when our Sims are sick they could go to the clinic and get treated. That would be awesome.

I know that historically the devs don't go back and redo/add to previous EPs, but there's a lot of "new" that's been done with this version, maybe it's possible. Yeah, probably not likely, but I really love the idea.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,882 Member
    What about those simmers who don't have Get To Work? Just wondering what would have been required to make it work? Maybe a rabbithole medical career? And then let's not forget the game's target audience. Maybe they wouldn't appreciate the added challenge of working their way up to vet. Maybe they just want to jump right in and start operating on pets.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

They tried the realisic route with Get To Work, people complained it was too basic in the early stages (like a real job).

So now they offer full customization, over logical steps.
  • Options
    auginstineauginstine Posts: 68 Member
    It seems they're just copy and pasting the mechanics from get to work/dine out and slightly improving each time, it just makes the previous packs look lackluster. They must've chose not to follow the career ladder like the Doctor career because they did not want to incorporate an actually Vet to mentor you since it wasn't the "main focus" of the pack and it's just a selling point. Don't see why they made it more like a business though because you actually have to diagnose the patients and not just socialize to make a sale.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top