Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"_____'s Spirit is Fading Away" Message. What is this?

mattandphilsims2mattandphilsims2 Posts: 136 Member
Screen_Shot_2017_11_08_at_11_46_05_PM_2.png

I've been getting dozens of notifications all of the sudden, saying that random Sims' spirits are fading away. Some of them are old family members, but some are random people I've never seen or heard of. I keep googling this and I can't find any mention of this anywhere.

It seems related to the recent patch that changed how culling works, but I can't be sure, as I haven't played the game in 6+ months. It's also worth noting that I have my culling limit set to 150, and it says I only have 62 Sims so far, so I have no idea what's going on.

If this is the game's way of clearing all the ghosts, I'm fine with it, because my world is currently overrun.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    Interesting. I haven't seen anything like this in my game. My guess would be they're giving you a chance to save the ghostly version of a Sim, prior to culling. If that's the case, I think it's a great thing to implement. Gives the player a bit more power over what's happening in their game. I will bookmark this thread, as I am quite curious, too, to learn the answer.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    You can now click on graves with ghosts and select "strenghten connection to physical world" and it will make that ghost not be culled. I don't know for how much longer, but it seems this patch made ghost culling more intense.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I've gotten this 3 times now. I don't like ghosts so I would never interact with them, I like them being deleted.

But if you wanted to interact with them, how would one even find their grave if they're townies? For example, I evict all of my elder sims and make them unplayed townies then I set aging for unplayed only. So only my elder sims and regular townies die.
  • Options
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I've gotten this 3 times now. I don't like ghosts so I would never interact with them, I like them being deleted.

But if you wanted to interact with them, how would one even find their grave if they're townies? For example, I evict all of my elder sims and make them unplayed townies then I set aging for unplayed only. So only my elder sims and regular townies die.

I don't mind the ghosts— I just don't like how they behave now. I much prefer the ghosts from Sims 2. They could actually scare a Sim to death. These ghosts from Sims3 & now 4, are way too cartoony and silly.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    Yeah I got those notifications too. So many at once, I had to click the x button about 3904303 times ugh. I have played the same family for a very long while and have only ever had 1 one of my own Sims die. So all these ghosts in my game must be deceased townies, then. I really, really don't like them. Like @GalacticGal states, I also prefer Sims 2 ghosts. They were at least confined to the lot that stored their tombstones. Hope they'll all get culled soon.
    uFacoQE.png
    They do make for colorful gameplay. :lol:
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    You could also improve ghosts relationship to the point where you can ask them to move in. Then move them out and make sure the household the ghost is in is in My Household section.
  • Options
    FrejaFreja Posts: 159 Member
    Do you guys also get spammed with these messages? It's always at least 5 of them, and now I got 16. 16 messages of some unknown ghost sim doing whatever it pleases :weary:
  • Options
    RussJacobsRussJacobs Posts: 14 New Member
    OMG I'm consatntly clicking x on the "_________ spirit is fading away" notification
  • Options
    I tend to play on Long. So far I haven't been deluged with these messages. :open_mouth:
  • Options
    VraieVraie Posts: 196 Member
    Interesting. I haven't had this message yet. But it does make me worry for Cameron's ghost on my vampire lot. I was worried about him before, but now more so. With all the other ghosts, culling is fine by me...it actually answers something I was asking for in another discussion. So long as I get to keep Cameron, I don't mind if the others go. I may need to find a way to resurrect him :/

But I haven't had the message yet so O.o. I guess we'll see what transpires. I have had five generations of humans so it might well be a flood of messages when it finally comes...
  • Options
    SkyeChimesSkyeChimes Posts: 376 Member
    On Pages 5 & 6 of this thread, simguru Nick explains the new culling and ghost things. Actually I think Luth updated the original post as well. https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16147889#Comment_16147889

Are you experiencing this with an old save? There must have been a lot of tombstones in your world - I imagine this overwhelming tns notice wouldn't happen with a fresh save.

It's actually something a lot of us have wanted for awhile (check out the "death improvements needed" thread in feedback section) relating to inactive family members, like if I'm playing with the grandkids when gramps dies, a tombstone now generates, and if I want to save the ghost for awhile I can strengthen connection, and if I don't, I can either release to netherworld or wait for the spirit to fade on its own. Much better then before where if you were not on the lot when they died, no tombstone and no ghost! I felt like a vulture on death watch, just so I could have a tombstone!
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    You can now click on graves with ghosts and select "strenghten connection to physical world" and it will make that ghost not be culled. I don't know for how much longer, but it seems this patch made ghost culling more intense.

Yep, this appeared after the patch. I killed off a sim after the ghost patch in 2014 to test it out. :D I guessed as much it had to do with culling
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Shades302Shades302 Posts: 1,072 Member
    I got this message for the first time today also, I am looking for one sim who is part of my legacy family, but I have no idea how to locate his tombstone, since it is not in my family graveyard lot, so I need to figure out where he died, I have found some tombstones in some of my family sim lots but not his yet, I wonder if his tombstone is at his workplace, hmm. I wish they told you where to go to find the tombstones to help them XD
    Z6gfpiv.png?1
  • Options
    SimmerDSimmerD Posts: 1 New Member
    [quote="Chazzzy;c-16144517"]I've gotten this 3 times now. I don't like ghosts so I would never interact with them, I like them being deleted.

But if you wanted to interact with them, how would one even find their grave if they're townies? For example, I evict all of my elder sims and make them unplayed townies then I set aging for unplayed only. So only my elder sims and regular townies die.[/quote]

Following to find out where to find Townie graves also. I did 100 Baby Challenge and I'm being absolutely bombarded with these messages for every Baby Daddy and child from 2nd generation since 3rd gen aged up to elder yesterday.
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    i would prefer the ghosts limited mainly to a graveyard lot
    spread out throughout all the worlds it's just useless sims clutter

but i think it's still better to be notified that a ghost is about to be culled
    than ghosts of sims i played just getting culled unnoticed as it happened before in my game

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

I just got this message for one of my vampire ghosts! a played ghost, a household at my favorites and I did not reach the maximum sims allowed. I play rotational and many of my households are ghost. My save is not old because I lost my saves with my old PC. My aging is on only for the active household so I do not have ghosts hidden anywhere. I hope this does not mean that played ghost are not save even if they are at My favs list :'(
  • Options
    ceinwynieceinwynie Posts: 162 Member
    I hate the ghosts, I play a legacy and almost everyone is a ghost now, I'm glad now they will leave my sims word
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited November 2017
    Ugh... the ghosts in this game are honestly very annoying... this kind of thing doesn't surprise me either. This is why we absolutely NEED cemeteries in The Sims 4 (just like how we had them in Sims 3). I'm honestly really getting annoyed whenever I see ghosts dancing at clubs and visiting other kinds of community lots... and being treated like normal Sims.

This post brings up another good reason we need cemeteries... this ghost is completely random... and the part that really irritates me is that if a Sim dies off a lot that you aren't currently playing, then their urn/tombstone is impossible to find... so you can't even create custom cemeteries by making a simple park or whatever. It's disappointing. I'd like to be able to keep the urns/tombstones of my families and see how big my legacy becomes over time. They need to create a cemetery lot type, where Sims' gravestones will appear when they die (just like in Sims 3 at the mausoleum).

Sorry for kinda changing the direction of this post... it's just that every time I see something about ghosts being mentioned on the forums, I feel the need to express my disappointment and annoyance with how they were developed for this game... and how we have a huge lack of cemeteries.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I keep getting this message in my game and I just keep clicking it away. I'm good with the regular sims, I don't need the ghosts. They are worse than the vampires, IMO.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    jess3315jess3315 Posts: 26 Member
    Whats really annoying is I've chosen to "Release Spirit" for all of my dead sims, but after the patch they now call to see if I want to hang out, or I get this notification ... Makes me wonder whats going to happen, is my tombstone going to disappear too?
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited November 2017
    Being a legacy player, ghosts are important to me, but to avoid culling I just delete all the old townies, and families consisting of old townies.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

I don't mind the ghosts— I just don't like how they behave now. I much prefer the ghosts from Sims 2. They could actually scare a Sim to death. These ghosts from Sims3 & now 4, are way too cartoony and silly.

Yes! I think sadly it's because they're playable. Sims 2 Ghosts would haunt a sim if they hated them to the point where they could possibly die. Teddy bears would spin with their heads off, they were actually deadly.

Minus the Ghost babies, ghosts in sims 4 are definitely an improvement in sims 3, but they fall short compared to Sims 2.

Sims 3 ghosts were just annoying beings that would interrupt your sims's que.

Sims 4 ghosts are are just annoying beings that break your plumbing.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    wilhelmfink23wilhelmfink23 Posts: 33 Member
    Pretty neat! Had no idea this was a thing!
  • Options
    collegemommaof3collegemommaof3 Posts: 131 Member
    Yes this is VERY annoying....In one sitting it filled my notifications up that I received one stating notifications were full.
  • Options
    bones85bones85 Posts: 1 New Member
    i can confirm it is the patch for oct-nov and it does spam you especially at the first night of it happening. To make that message less spammy they should however put the setting only on the focus of current households more.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top