Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The reason why The Sims 4 isn't as good.

1789101113...Next

Comments

• Options
    ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    I'm not brainless, just because someone likes TS4 does not make them brainless.
    No, I actually think that I would have liked TS4 too if it was my first Sims game. But I started with TS2 13 yrs ago and after playing TS2 and TS3 then TS4 just isn’t good enough.

TS4 is not my first Sims game, TS1 was. I started playing TS1 not long after it first came out. So I can honestly say that even though I've played all other 3 Sims games I still love TS4. In fact I love all 4 Sims games.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »
    MissCherie wrote: »
    You guys know Maxis consulted with actual trans people about the gender options patch, right? They didn't just ask cisgender people how trans people would logically represent themselves - as a cis person, how would I even know that? There's a good chance they actually got this right.

It is a shame that they never consulted with players over all of the 'missing content' that players had actually been asking for... :no_mouth:

Like the awesome toddlers we just got, for free? Okay, then.

Just because something wasn't asked for in a loud way doesn't mean it's not a valuable and good thing to do. Allowing a minority of people the ability to self-represent that they didn't have before is an actual good thing. It's not only popular things that are worthwhile. Sometimes things that give a minority of people a seat at the table with the rest of us are worth doing even if those things aren't clamored for. We're talking people with enormously high risks in their daily lives — rates of depression, suicide, and being victims of violence that you, as a white cis male, do not face anything like. But you think that what... being able to get in a car in a game, maybe, is more important than those people abilities to represent themselves at all? Just because more people openly want it?

I believe that good things should be done, not only things that are popular. And that it's really cool when companies that could be making piles of cash by selling you your virtual cars to vroom around in instead choose to give that regularly oppressed sliver of the population a free seat at the grownups' table. Did that get the company some attention? Sure, and deservedly so. They did a good thing and deserve some credit for, yet again, breaking ground in enabling nonmajority-group people to represent their lives in simulation play.

Going vroom in cars (or whatever else you have in mind) is not more important than that. Just more popular.

What has me being 'white' have to do with anything?

It means that you've been, by default, less likely to be personally exposed to a whole host of problems that other people have been. It's something I'm very conscious of in my own life as a white person; friends and acquaintances who aren't deal with all sorts of stuff I don't have to. I have similar privilege as a cis, hetero person.

But please go ahead and privilege your need for whatever popular thing you like over other people's ability to self-represent at a basic level.

@luthienrising Are you that ignorant or just plum? From all the depressions and suicides that did happen around me it was all white straight people (and it's not cause I'm only surrounded by mostly white straight people, for years I was mostly surrounded by lesbians and muslims), so plum off with your ''white cis privileges'', this isn't Tumblr. Being depressed, suicidal, bullied, etc... isn't plum exclusive to non- white and non-straight people, being white doesn't keep you from having problems and issues. If racism and homophobia was disappearing tomorrow, depression, suicide and bullying would still exist.

Ignorant? No, I'm familiar with mental health etc. statistics, thanks. And I never said "white people have no problems". I phrased what I said very carefully so as not to say that because I have good reason to know that white cisgender people have problems too. "Cisgender," by the way, is not a special magical Tumblr community word, nor is "privilege"; they both come from academic discourse long before anything like Tumblr existed ("privilege" in this use predates computers, even; "cisgender" goes back to 1991) and have spread out into more general use from there.

I'm not going to continue to argue over this. If you think I said something racist against white people, you're welcome to report me for it.

And that one word? Changes nothing about the value of what Maxis has done with Sims over the last 17 years for representation.

stop saying that word

Sorry you find it annoying somehow, but it's the *only* word that describes people who experience themselves as the same gender as their physical characteristics. There is no other word for this.

Also, why on earth are you bringing this up after all this time?

Well, as gender is structured by the exact same biological process that structures biological sex, the word is entirely superfluous.

I know it's off-topic but I just wanna chime in and say I hate the word "ableist," think it both looks and sounds really dumb, and I wonder who the heck thought the disabled community asked for that word. I know I sure didn't and wow they managed to pick a really dumb looking word, too. :| You can't just put "-ist" on any word and it automatically works.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited November 2017
    I'm not brainless, just because someone likes TS4 does not make them brainless.
    No, I actually think that I would have liked TS4 too if it was my first Sims game. But I started with TS2 13 yrs ago and after playing TS2 and TS3 then TS4 just isn’t good enough.

TS4 is not my first Sims game, TS1 was. I started playing TS1 not long after it first came out. So I can honestly say that even though I've played all other 3 Sims games I still love TS4. In fact I love all 4 Sims games.
    We are different and therefore don’t play our games in the same way. I played TS2 all the time in about 3 years and loved it until a few months before I stopped playing it because it didn’t really give me anything anymore. Then I didn’t play Sims games again until TS3 was released. But I played TS3 too for almost a year. Just without really finding the same feeling that I had so long time with TS2. I especially like the quests in World Adventures though.

TS4 was way too simplified and easy for me. I need challenges in my games. But TS4 didn’t give me any other challenges except telling me that my sim had to wait for many days before a collectible in another neighborhood could become ready to be collected or before my sim would have a chance to get the next job promotion. Also the game was way too much about happiness and partying without jealousy and (often fatal) accidents like in the previous games. Much of the gameplay was also about just watching my sims ignore me and waste huge amount of time on annoying autonomous actions and thus partly stop me from playing the game myself. I didn’t like this at all and became bored almost immediately. Therefore I stopped playing TS4 and only bought its first two expansions. The game is just way too expensive to play if you are bored most of the time anyway and therefore don’t get much for your money.
  • Options
    @Erpe I don't think the game is too expensive at all, then again if I really like a game I'm gonna buy it even if it's around $50, I'd even pay a $100 if I had to. Maybe your just in a different time now where you prefer other games, but I'm still heavy into the Sims and Harvest Moon <3
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @Erpe I don't think the game is too expensive at all, then again if I really like a game I'm gonna buy it even if it's around $50, I'd even pay a $100 if I had to. Maybe your just in a different time now where you prefer other games, but I'm still heavy into the Sims and Harvest Moon <3
    I have far from everything and Sims 4 has cost me €160 so far, not €100. That is including 50% discounts for two EP’s. That added to the fact you really need everything the game comes up with to have something to do, yes, it’s an expensive game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    As far as prices go they are reasonable and not too much to pay for over 3 years of play. I spent £30 UK on a single meal with wine this week and that's about normal for a modest priced city restaurant. Tickets to see a comedian locally are about £25, a popular singer's concert £40, £41 to £65 for an orchestrial concert for just one night.

EA fans have it much better than those whose fun is eating out and going to concerts - and for longer!
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »
    As far as prices go they are reasonable and not too much to pay for over 3 years of play. I spent £30 UK on a single meal with wine this week and that's about normal for a modest priced city restaurant. Tickets to see a comedian locally are about £25, a popular singer's concert £40, £41 to £65 for an orchestrial concert for just one night.

EA fans have it much better than those whose fun is eating out and going to concerts - and for longer!
    For me it isn’t really about that. But instead about what a game should cost?

Earlier we bought games on discs in game stores and new games used to cost about $50 once and for all. If we waited some months we could usually get them for half of this price.

Then the Sims games became an exception because they got 7-8 big EPs which we also could buy. The other exception was WoW and a few similar games which instead required us to pay a monthly subscription.

TS3 got a store added such that we also could by stuff. But TS4 has a huge number of expansions already (soon 4 EPs, 5 GPs and 12 SPs) and it will get much more before its era ends (most likely in the middle of 2019).

The game companies want all games changed to live services which means that the games will be offered very cheaply as trials or for free but then get a huge number of cheap expansions or stuff which we will be offered all the time. The Sims Freeplay is just one of a huge number of such games and I was offered two things to buy yeasterday and one more thing (a green tropical sofa and a green tropical sofa table) today. That was stuff for about $55 in just two days and it continues.

TS4 is a kind of live service too and I guess that TS5 and other future Sims games will use this model even more. But if we want to buy everything for such games then we will soon realize that the games don’t cost us only about $50 - $70 for each game anymore but more likely about $1000 - $2000 for each game. If the game companies succeed in this strategy they will become rich. But does this mean that the prices are reasonable anyway?
  • Options
    $50-60 is very reaonsable for today, it's a one time purchase and you have the game for like ever. Yea it'll cost more for packs but those are always optional.

I've purchased every TS4 pack, $50 is nothing for me really though so maybe that's why.
  • Options
    $50-60 is very reaonsable for today, it's a one time purchase and you have the game for like ever. Yea it'll cost more for packs but those are always optional.

I've purchased every TS4 pack, $50 is nothing for me really though so maybe that's why.
    I agree that $50-60 is a very reasonable price for a complete game. But I don’t agree that $20 is a reasonable price for just a SP for TS4 or that $3-15 is a reasonable price for just a couple of items for a game like the Sims Freeplay where we are offered such things almost every day.

Yes it is apparently optional if we want to buy those extra things for our games and it is if we are playing the games ourselves. But imagine that the game instead is played by your 13 yrs old daughter who of course won’t consider if the things really are worth that much before she asks you: “Mom/dad, there is such a beautiful dress/sofa/makeup that I can get for only a few dollars! Please -can I have it!?” Then you don’t want to say no and see her disappointed face. So you will likely say yes just to keep her happy and without considering if the price really is reasonable. You will likely just think that something like $10 is cheap to keep your daughter happy.

I suspect this is the reason why this live service concept now is preferred by the game companies because when our kids and young teens are offered to buy new cheap things for their game almost every day then they will ask us for permission to buy it all the time - and we will likely say yes many more times than we should. Otherwise we wouldn’t be offered new “cheap” furniture, clothes, makeup or body paint almost every day in the Sims Freeplay and EA wouldn’t make all those “cheap” SPs for TS4 either.
  • Options
    Aesir26Aesir26 Posts: 304 Member

I agree that $50-60 is a very reasonable price for a complete game. But I don’t agree that $20 is a reasonable price for just a SP for TS4 or that $3-15 is a reasonable price for just a couple of items for a game like the Sims Freeplay where we are offered such things almost every day.

Yes it is apparently optional if we want to buy those extra things for our games and it is if we are playing the games ourselves. But imagine that the game instead is played by your 13 yrs old daughter who of course won’t consider if the things really are worth that much before she asks you: “Mom/dad, there is such a beautiful dress/sofa/makeup that I can get for only a few dollars! Please -can I have it!?” Then you don’t want to say no and see her disappointed face. So you will likely say yes just to keep her happy and without considering if the price really is reasonable. You will likely just think that something like $10 is cheap to keep your daughter happy.

I suspect this is the reason why this live service concept now is preferred by the game companies because when our kids and young teens are offered to buy new cheap things for their game almost every day then they will ask us for permission to buy it all the time - and we will likely say yes many more times than we should. Otherwise we wouldn’t be offered new “cheap” furniture, clothes, makeup or body paint almost every day in the Sims Freeplay and EA wouldn’t make all those “cheap” SPs for TS4 either.

Actually, an SP for TS4 is $10.

Honestly, the price point for TS4 is just fine for me but that's because it's cheaper than the vast majority of games where I live. $50-$60 is cheap now because most game companies have raised the prices for their games from $60 to $80 in Canada.

However, I will agree with you that I'm not fond of the "live service" approach either. I find it's often added to games that were once primarily single-player and it has a pretty bad effect on the game.
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    TS4 base game was $60.00, and $80 for the Premium Edition. And that was $60 to $80 bucks of nothing. The emptiest Base game ever!! Empty, Limited and nothing compared to it's predecessor Base games.

3 years later... a whole lot of Meh. Still Limited, Full of re-colors. nothing matches, fake backdrops, and the only somewhat in dept part of the game is the Toddlers. Even Family players say that once the Toddlers grow up, game play is pretty much bland and back to the Same old thing. Pets are not going to change that. No matter how much the "gurus" yell at you on their live stream and tell you how to play it.

TS4 is not a good game... PERIOD.
  • Options
    Aesir26 wrote: »

Actually, an SP for TS4 is $10.

Honestly, the price point for TS4 is just fine for me but that's because it's cheaper than the vast majority of games where I live. $50-$60 is cheap now because most game companies have raised the prices for their games from $60 to $80 in Canada.

However, I will agree with you that I'm not fond of the "live service" approach either. I find it's often added to games that were once primarily single-player and it has a pretty bad effect on the game.
    Prices differ. I looked at a place where SPs here in Denmark were 120 dkr which is about $20. But I agree that we can get them for $10 if we buy elsewhere. Still it seems that TS4 will end up having about 20 SPs which then will be $200 just for the SPs.

EA’s plan is to turn all EA’s games into live services and it seems that almost all other game companies are doing the same. It is only partly done for TS4 though. But my guess is that TS5 will become even more a real live service.
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    TS4 is just the ashes of what once was a great franchise and now it's easy money for EA, with brainless fans that will buy anything (me too). They're milking the cow and when it's dead, they'll bury it and that's all.
    They don't care, they don't seem to care, TS4 is just a lazy game made with no pasion at all.

@Fonxi121994 I think this franchise is now great again. I hated sims 3. And the sims are plenty passionate . They are the most life-like sims we have had . My enjoyment of the game is not reduced by the few haters.

@thevogel this will probably really upset you. but i love the sims 4 and think its far better than sims 3 . and I know lots of other simmers who prefer sims 4 too . in my facebook group they did a poll and those who preferred sims 4 greatly outnumbered people who prefer sims 3 . So its easy to start think your opinion is the right one. But...Nah.... :)
  • Options
    Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    TS4 is just the ashes of what once was a great franchise and now it's easy money for EA, with brainless fans that will buy anything (me too). They're milking the cow and when it's dead, they'll bury it and that's all.
    They don't care, they don't seem to care, TS4 is just a lazy game made with no pasion at all.

@Fonxi121994 I think this franchise is now great again. I hated sims 3. And the sims are plenty passionate . They are the most life-like sims we have had . My enjoyment of the game is not reduced by the few haters.

1. There're more than a "few" people not happy with The Sims 4 direction.
    2. We're not haters, we have a different opinions than yours and we speak our minds. You can love The Sims 4, I have no problem with that, but some of you guys like to say "OMG haters!!!!!" when people say what you don't wanna hear. Deal with it, some people criticise The Sims 4 direction and that's totally fine. I love The Sims franchise, been playing it for 16 years and I'm not a hater. Thank you.

The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    You guys know Maxis consulted with actual trans people about the gender options patch, right? They didn't just ask cisgender people how trans people would logically represent themselves - as a cis person, how would I even know that? There's a good chance they actually got this right.

It is a shame that they never consulted with players over all of the 'missing content' that players had actually been asking for... :no_mouth:

Like the awesome toddlers we just got, for free? Okay, then.

Just because something wasn't asked for in a loud way doesn't mean it's not a valuable and good thing to do. Allowing a minority of people the ability to self-represent that they didn't have before is an actual good thing. It's not only popular things that are worthwhile. Sometimes things that give a minority of people a seat at the table with the rest of us are worth doing even if those things aren't clamored for. We're talking people with enormously high risks in their daily lives — rates of depression, suicide, and being victims of violence that you, as a white cis male, do not face anything like. But you think that what... being able to get in a car in a game, maybe, is more important than those people abilities to represent themselves at all? Just because more people openly want it?

I believe that good things should be done, not only things that are popular. And that it's really cool when companies that could be making piles of cash by selling you your virtual cars to vroom around in instead choose to give that regularly oppressed sliver of the population a free seat at the grownups' table. Did that get the company some attention? Sure, and deservedly so. They did a good thing and deserve some credit for, yet again, breaking ground in enabling nonmajority-group people to represent their lives in simulation play.

Going vroom in cars (or whatever else you have in mind) is not more important than that. Just more popular.

What has me being 'white' have to do with anything?

It means that you've been, by default, less likely to be personally exposed to a whole host of problems that other people have been. It's something I'm very conscious of in my own life as a white person; friends and acquaintances who aren't deal with all sorts of stuff I don't have to. I have similar privilege as a cis, hetero person.

But please go ahead and privilege your need for whatever popular thing you like over other people's ability to self-represent at a basic level.

Just because a person is white, does not automatically make them "privileged". I've seen plenty of people of other races be born with more "privilege" than some people I know personally. This forum is also not the place for virtue signalling buzz words. You have Tumblr and Facebook for that.

Yah, the only real privilage is an economic privilege. If you have enough money you can do anything. As a black person, I never saw white people had privileges . My best friend why having house growing up. They didn't have a heater, and got heat by burning a furnece. Why I lived in apartments and townhouses having a bigger allowance. I guess in some way I was more privilege than her .
  • Options
    I also don’t understand why I should hate TS4 just because it is a game that I don’t play anymore? Do the TS4 lovers then really hate all the games that they don’t play? Is that why they think that everybody who don’t love TS4 and play it all the time instead must hate TS4?

To me TS4 just is one of those hundreds of games that I don’t play because there are many better games to play. I may even try TS4 again shortly at some time just to see if it still is as uninteresting as I remember it. I just know that it would be a waste of money to buy more expansions for TS4 because I almost certainly would play them for at most an hour before I again switched to other games. So I don’t even consider buying more expansions for TS4. But I sure don’t hate the game.

I am still in the forum though because all Sims games interest me and I am also still playing the Sims Freeplay. But my main reason to be here just is to see in which direction the Sims games changes and to watch for the next Sims game from EA to see if it should be more interesting than TS4.
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    @thevogel this will probably really upset you. but i love the sims 4 and think its far better than sims 3 . and I know lots of other simmers who prefer sims 4 too . in my facebook group they did a poll and those who preferred sims 4 greatly outnumbered people who prefer sims 3 . So its easy to start think your opinion is the right one. But...Nah.... :)

What makes you think a total stranger liking TS4 would upset me? I could care less. This is the feedback section of the forum...I'm giving feedback. And my opinion... for my own personal experience...is the right one. Just like your opinion for your own personal experience is the right one. It's an opinion and feedback.

I'm not going to get petty with you and try to derail the subject of this thread just because you have a difference of opinion. I think others on this thread have done enough damage with hijacking it and taking it off topic.

Good for you if you like TS4...glad you find it entertaining and fun. I don't. In comparison to it's predecessors...I find it dull and lacking, and not to be the quality game it should have been.

Peace Out!