Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The reason why The Sims 4 isn't as good.

Now before I say anything I want You to know that I do like The Sims 4 & I enjoy Playing it & I'm not a hater or anything so please don't be like this giphy.gif

Ok now that is out of the way let's talk about this.

The sims 4 was released in 2014 ... in the era of magnificent games like Gta V / Mortal Kombat X / Battlefield 4 etc ....
everything looked extremely good & we felt the future of gaming coming.

gtav_details09122014_004.jpg

So when the sims 4 was announced we expected something revolutionary , Something magical to the future of The Sims franchise , specially that it's one of the most selling PC games of all times.

TheSims4Logo2.jpg

but when the actual game was revealed and we saw how it lacked so many features that was in previous sims games & how it didn't add anything revolutionary except for CAS creation & Build mode many of us got very disappointed including me.
I never liked the art of the Sims themselves in the game especially the hair "It grew on me a little now" & I hated how they removed amazing features like CAST & open worlds & many other things.
I wouldn't care about open world if they atleast made open neighborhood districts.

xkoFvYZ.png

so We "The Simmers" were sitting there looking at this game & we were like .... wait what ?
Is this really The fourth installment of this game ? in 2014 ??
It was just not good enough.

The reason why The Sims 2 was sooo huge & successful is the fact that it didn't feel like a 2004 game , it was MAGIC for it's time... the game would've been released in 2008 and still was a great game because of how awesome it was & how hugely it improved from The Sims 1 to The Sims 2.

597247-914811_20040902_002.jpg

The Sims 3 was a great improvement too & it added so many things that wasn't in the sims 2 like Open worlds , CAST & cars being in the base game.
& if it wasn't so buggy and if sims looked better , The sims 3 would've been a perfect game as well & it was a good game for it's age.

Spring+Fair.jpg

now back to The Sims 4 .... after all the improvements that we saw in previous installments of the franchise & how each game added HUGE new features .. we expected The sims 4 to be THEBOMB.COM ! but it was totally the opposite.
with more than 90 really needed features that was removed from The Sims 3 specially "open world , CAST & toddlers" everyone was shocked & disappointed with the game.

wnqzeoq6fwxuyjdw0h7k.png

maybe The Sims Olympus just messed everything up & if they worked on an actual "The Sims 4" from the beginning , none of this would've happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsx-pgwMYew

now game is slowly bringing back missing features like "Ghosts , Pools , Repair man etc..." but it's like a little too late ...

The Sims 4 is not a bad game after all & the fact that it sold 5 million copies proves that but maybe it's not good enough to be released in this era.

Thanks for reading & sorry if this was hard to read "Enlish is not my first language"
If You have different opinions than mine please say them in a respectful way. :)
have a good day
Youtube_Banner_2017.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PublicityPublicity Posts: 121 Member
    I agree. I expected much more from 4. I was really hoping for that perfect sims game; The one that truly blew every sims game out the water (like you said, basically). And 4 did fall short of that. Especially on its release. But, honestly it makes me really excited for 5 because while 4 didn't do what so many of us expected, it's still bringing a lot to the table for me. And now my perfect sims game includes features from 4.

I feel like I have to be fair to EA for trying something new. As much as I loved 3, I did not need Sims 4 to be basically sims 3 improved. It's basically what I wanted and it seems most everyone else thought to. And I only realized later there would be no point to having a 4 if it was the same as 3 but better. For all that just improve 3.

So they're doing something new and looking at it with a fresh perspective, I like it. Less content more game play. More releases but less giant releases. It's just a change from what we're used to. But it makes me feel like 5 can really be that sims game. Something incorporating even more as 4 is almost if not basically experimental.
  • Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I think I should've waited until sims 4 was complete since I started with sims 3 and it was almost complete when I bought it in 2011 or 2012. I didn't buy packs for it because I didn't realize how the game worked then. I prefer sims 3 because of the EPs, cc, and mods available. Some people keep talking about ugly sims but mine aren't ugly since I actually take the time to fix their looks how I want them. Sure it's less challenging to make pretty sims in sims 4 but that's not enough for me and the gameplay needs a lot of work
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I think that it is safe o say that:

13466533_1763923863890298_9017201863480724808_n.jpg?oh=91a178ae9026ba78b4647f1bbd1b2074&oe=5833E13E
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited July 2016
    Sims games get better as the EPs pile on.
    For me, I believe TS4 will take about 3 or 4 before I can get into playing it. That wasn't the case with TS2 and TS3.

Right now, I can only get as far as exploring new content. After that I have no desire to play.
    I think Generations and University will do it for me, but still, this isn't the game I was hoping it would be and I doubt it ever will.

I still think I will enjoy it once all the expansion packs are created, but I am already hoping TS5 will give us TS2 game play, TS3 CASt and open world (even if it's on a smaller scale), and TS4's Sims (not its age stages) and build mode. TS4's art style is OK, but I would want more detailed meshes and textures.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, this first teaser pic:
    TheSims4Logo2.jpg

Remember the outcry? "That looks terrible!" "What year do they think this is, 1999?" "Where are their eyelashes?"

We were assured by other posters that this was an alpha render or some other plum, and that the graphics would be much improved at release.

They weren't.

Now, graphics aren't everything, but they are part of my enjoyment of video games. I can't get past the look of TS4, such a fail for me.

I like their look, even liked the early renders more but the gameplay....is poor.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Dramatic-GamerDramatic-Gamer Posts: 713 Member
    Ikajo wrote: »
    Try "The reason I think The Sims 4..." and "I was" and "I wanted". The problem with all of you people that are not happy with TS4 is that you persist in trying to make your opinion into a fact. But your opinion isn't a fact, it is your opinion. You also try to make it sound like every simmer agrees with you instead of just being your own opinion.
    To be fair to the OP, they did say that English is not their first language. Plus, you just did exactly the same by saying 'all of you people that are not happy...'

I fully expected TS4 to blow all previous versions out of the water, I was highly disappointed that it didn't. Perhaps it is the fact that TS2 seemed ahead of its time, the same with TS3 - and they both brought us some awesome new features. Then along came TS4 with so many things we got used to being cut. It takes time to adjust to something so... different I guess.

I hated it from even before it got released and I knew I would hate it after release (which I did). The only reason I bought it was to see for myself exactly what it was like. But over time I have gotten used to the differences, I have come to like the art style a lot and there are some things about the game I have actually grown to love. Unfortunately, it still does not have that wow factor, but maybe futute releases will bring something to wow me.

Thank You so much <3
    Youtube_Banner_2017.jpg
  • Options
    Dramatic-GamerDramatic-Gamer Posts: 713 Member
    Thanks everyone for Your comments , I read all of them & sorry if I don't reply to each one. <3
    Youtube_Banner_2017.jpg
  • Options
    JesterHatJolteonJesterHatJolteon Posts: 13 New Member
    At this point in time, a good chunk of the features that I really care about have made their triumphant return, so I can't really complain too much. I however, would like to see a few additions, specifically, Seasons, Pets, a few missing hair/eye color options (Purple hair is achievable via modding, but I really don't want to have to MOD for that), weather, and open neighborhoods. Really, that's all that I feel is "missing".

Talking about the Sims 4, graphically... Yes, the graphics are nothing special, but I DO love how the sims looks this time around. Very cartoony and cute. There have been a few positive upgrades since the initial release though. The whited-out town view in the initial release was a bad decision.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2016
    Different strokes for different folks, I find Sims 4 the most controversial game out of the series. No, Sims 4 is not that bad but at the same time it will never reach it's full potential due to it's constraints Imho. Yes, most low end systems love Sims 4 because it appears not to put a strain on their system and a problem for some with high end systems such as myself because Sims 4 stays within it's safety zone and no matter what system you have it does not scale up or down. I would choose Sims 3 or 2 as my favorite game out of the series. EA/Maxis throws a lot of items into the game which is the easiest for them to do and I rather have editing tools, more colors, some kind of Cast that lets me make my work my own. I also like some creator tools as well because I am tired of depending on EA/Maxis to give me more space. Sims 4 appears to me as a dog and pony show.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    I think The Sims 4 is actually better for two big reasons when I compare it to it's predecessors.

The Sims 2 - For me, I honestly loved the game and I really do enjoy it whenever I play but the game feels like a chore often, when I'm not tending to my Sims Needs I'm usually tending to my other Sims' Needs.
    There is some free-time when I don't have to worry about doing chores(even though I actually enjoy the chores) but that comes occasionally unless I buy a bunch of Perks and better items to slow down their Needs decay otherwise I can only ignore it to continue the story the way I wish, but even then, Sims who are overall unhappy refuse to do most things, which I really disliked.
    I'm happy that with The Sims 4, things don't feel like a chore because Needs are easily fulfilled and I'm honestly enjoying the extra free-time my Sims have despite the lack of activities and hobbies(I hope we get lots more!) and I especially like how Sims will still do the tasks you tell them to, even if they're in a bad mood(kind of like in real life ;).

The Sims 3 - I also loved The Sims 3 even though I never play it as much now. It was still the game I enjoyed and the game that inevitably got me into buying The Sims 4, apart from The Sims 2, it was The Sims 3 that really got me into Simulators.
    I even have the game on console, however, after a while, it felt quite empty to me despite being an open world and after I got more content, my game started to lag out like crazy :\
    Rabbit holes and Careers weren't much of a problem for me but I did get deterred from them since the rabbit holes felt pointless as I basically watched a building for a minute and I didn't like having to make friends in order to progress in careers(not to mention how I barely found Sims to make friends with at public venues which is a nice change in The Sims 4).
    But the biggest problem I have with The Sims 3 is how I greatly risk getting performance issues if I try to use all the content I spent my money on. When I bought all these Packs, I expected to be able to use all of them and it disheartens me how I'll face lag just by installing more than 3 EPs and a certain number of SPs and Store Content :c
    I'm glad that The Sims 4 doesn't limit me on how many Packs I can use whilst still keeping performance up and I certainly grew a liking to socializing with The Sims 4, something I either didn't have time to do or didn't feel like doing in previous iterations.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member
    edited July 2016
    Publicity wrote: »
    WillowG145 wrote: »
    Meh. Tried to play the sims 4. Is lacking. People can like it, I never discussed it. But, no matter how much one may like the sims 4, the truth is that it is lacking. The difference between those who like it and those who don't, is just that those who like ti had or a very, very bad experience with the sims 3 bugs (I had very little of them, actually...and all my mods are exclusively aestetic, since it had always worked well. Maybe a little slow, to start, but that is my computersaurus.) or are lucky enought that the stuff that they liked wasn't taken away.

There is no truth to your opinion that the game is lacking. You feel that way and people who enjoy the Sims 4 are not wrong for liking it. They are not right for liking it. They simply have an opinion that they like a game, you simply have an opinion that you don't. Again, not right or wrong and not true or false.

Also, incorrect on your second point. I had a great experience with 3. I had a custom gaming computer built for Sims 3 (I literally play no other games that require download beyond Sims). Loved, loved, loved it. I also happen to love, love love, Sims 4. Has nothing to do with 3. My love of 4 comes from the 100s of hours I've spent on it. Looking at it as its own game and not constantly comparing it to something else.

Than you are one of the second group I've mentioned. You are one of the lucky ones that can appreciate the sims 4 without toddlers, significant family play, Create a style, color of hair indipendent from the hairstyles, colour wheel, open world, actual events in the town, lot like cemetary, story progression, terrain tools, create a world, saturation sliders for make up, cars, good genetics, signifcant NPCs (and others I'm now forgetting at the moment)

The sims 4 lack a lot of stuff. There is no denyng it. A game can be appreciated without some stuff, but me, and if I have to guess by forums, facebook, and other media, the things that the sims 4 lack are a problem in appreciate the game for a non small part of players.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @WillowG145 A lot of the things you mention as being missing from TS4 aren't really missing because they were never intended to be added, apart from toddlers. The only version which had all those things was TS3. Each iteration is different from the others in some way and TS4 is different too.

Every version I have ever played, I have always hated at least some part of it. As much as I loved TS2, I hated the fact that no other sims aged unless you played them and that time at home stood still while I was at a community Lot. I loved TS3 (and I didn't have a bad experience with it) but I hated the way the sims looked and moved and the fact that certain things could totally ruin the game (eg. I had to turn off memories to stop game bloat, I had to turn off the celebrities and supernaturals spawning cos I didn't like them in my game). Now I like TS4 but I hate that there are no toddlers in it, I don't like the changing emotions or useless traits and I detest the culling.

It's all swings and roundabouts. TS4's position in my favourites will depend on how and where EA go with it for the rest of the EPs, patches etc.
  • Options
    WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member
    edited July 2016
    @WillowG145 A lot of the things you mention as being missing from TS4 aren't really missing because they were never intended to be added, apart from toddlers. The only version which had all those things was TS3. Each iteration is different from the others in some way and TS4 is different too.

Every version I have ever played, I have always hated at least some part of it. As much as I loved TS2, I hated the fact that no other sims aged unless you played them and that time at home stood still while I was at a community Lot. I loved TS3 (and I didn't have a bad experience with it) but I hated the way the sims looked and moved and the fact that certain things could totally ruin the game (eg. I had to turn off memories to stop game bloat, I had to turn off the celebrities and supernaturals spawning cos I didn't like them in my game). Now I like TS4 but I hate that there are no toddlers in it, I don't like the changing emotions or useless traits and I detest the culling.

It's all swings and roundabouts. TS4's position in my favourites will depend on how and where EA go with it for the rest of the EPs, patches etc.

A hint of story progression was already in the sims 2. In one of the last expansions (probably patch. At the time me and many players didn't have internet at home, so patch were inside the expansions) since sims could have friends that didn't live in the house pass of age when your sims grow up.

Toddlers were already in the sims 2, like good family play. NPCs were even more present than in the sims 3. Baby sitters, gardeners, burglars... all were there. And most of them were in the sims 3 too.
    Doesn't matter that in the sims 4 the devs decided that all these things (plus preferences, zodiac signs, and many traits that aren't in the sims 4) weren't to be put in there. Those were part of the sims. A sequel should do stuff better, and not take away, I'll always resent the sims 3 to not have fears and the diary, but how many things it gains? the sims 4 didn't gave back what it had takes, in my opinion, and that, even more than taking away stuff that was considered basic and part of the brand, is what make the sims 4 even more lacking in my opinion.

Oh, and terrain tools were a basic feature, that if I remember correctly was, maybe slightly different, already in the first the sims (I can't remember much, too many years have passed).
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    WillowG145 wrote: »
    Than you are one of the second group I've mentioned. You are one of the lucky ones that can appreciate the sims 4 without toddlers, significant family play, Create a style, color of hair indipendent from the hairstyles, colour wheel, open world, actual events in the town, lot like cemetary, story progression, terrain tools, create a world, saturation sliders for make up, cars, good genetics, signifcant NPCs (and others I'm now forgetting at the moment)

The sims 4 lack a lot of stuff. There is no denyng it. A game can be appreciated without some stuff, but me, and if I have to guess by forums, facebook, and other media, the things that the sims 4 lack are a problem in appreciate the game for a non small part of players.

Sims2 is actually the only one in the series to actually have genetics, where brown eye/brown hair was dominant and blue eye/blonde hair was recessive, to where even if you changed the hair color of a sim, the game would remember the original color and pass it off to the child and not the color change. Actual genetics was never in Sims3 and was left out from Sims2.

Story progression is about the same for Sims3 as it is in Sims4. In sims3, you needed NRAAS to make your world work right, in Sims4 its the MC_Command Center. Story progression for Sims3 is pretty much broken, the popularity and necessity of NRAAS would indicate that it is.

Even with all that is "missing" from the game as it is put, I would much rather play this version of the Sims over a complete Sims3 any day of the week. Why does it constantly seem that if you like Sims4, there must be something wrong with you and the way you enjoy your game.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @WillowG145
    Personally I like TS4 because it doesn't have open world, CaST or story progression for example. I'm glad they removed the things I didn't like ;)