Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The reason why The Sims 4 isn't as good.

Comments

• Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    #2 is absolutely not intended. The best I can give you as an explanation is that often when you make an argument, you have a thesis. Yes, one's thesis can be worded as a statement, and this is normal. As a rule of thumb? You can pretty much assume if something seems like an absurd claim devoid of proof on my behalf? I probably do not mean it literal. Italics and bold are used solely to call attention to major points of the blocks of text, that's it.

Other than that? I studied law. Debate there is pretty fierce, it rubs off. When you think someone's made a weak argument or a weak point? You get in their face about it, you do not let it stand. (how many times did I call out people that said Bowling is more detailed, for example. I'll continue to do so cause typically that statement is made with zero evidence, so I see no reason to allow that to become the general concensus of the matter) Attack, attack, attack, and that's precisely what I'll do if and when I think someone makes a weak argument. I understand it can be a little aggressive for most people, but I also recognize the value of it, so I do it. Just understand there's nothing personal in it.

As for my opinion? I imagine on some fronts I'll continue to be aggressive with it. I don't like the stuff pack model for example, but this isn't really a matter of one opinion being superior to another, nor do I see this as one where I or others can be swayed (unless they truly refined what's included OR others grew increasingly tired of them). For me to silence that opinion however is to not let my voice be heard. I like to make it known because the alternative is to just...well, cope with the stuff pack model as is and accept it. I'd like it if like-minded people could come to these forums and see they're not the only ones not content with that feature; sometimes people are hesitant to speak up when they feel they're in the overwhelming minority, so I like to be there to make sure it's not so overwhelming. And if my critique of a pack were a majority...? Yes, I want to hold EA's feet to the fire in order to encourage improvement.

As for why I insist on bringing this up? You "calling me out" yesterday was out of left field, on my end. Whether you believe me or not, your interpretation was absolutely not intended. It's not my intention to shame you for being wrong, but rather I think if left unaddressed, you and I will have great difficulty having any discussion in the future as that same suspicion/impression would remain. I think that would repeat itself consistently, and obviously that's bad. That's why I bring it up, because quite frankly if you were to insist I was trying to attack you personally or something and stand by that assertion, I'd probably block you. Not out of personal animosity or a personal grudge, but because of it being highly likely that any discussions we have would once again get "personal" and derail from a subject, thus we would both be a continuous nuisance for others that distracts from discussions.

All and all, I realize I'm going a tad off topic now, but I do so because I think reconciling is important if we're going to have meaningful discussion that doesn't derail in the future. If we can't do that, then I'll block, though that is something I'd prefer to avoid since I don't like censoring opinions from my feed. Make sense?
    I appreciate you being candid.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's room for reconciling beyond a sort of "agree to disagree and try to avoid each other."

From the sound of it, you are pretty firm on the mode of conversation that you use and I am pretty firm on the mode of conversation that I use. I don't believe that aggressive lawyer mode is something that goes over well outside of a courtroom, where it's somewhat expected, but I'm not going to ask you to change yourself either.

All I can say is, no matter what you intend, an aggressive approach is going to put me off and sometimes when I see that kind of approach, my instinct is to defend, whether it's defending someone else or defending myself. Where you see yourself as standing up for the silent ones who are afraid to speak, I sometimes see myself as standing up for those who are being picked on or bullied by overly aggressive MOs. So you can maybe see why I would conflict with you in that way.

Understand that my debate mindset is also pretty clearly different, from the way you described yours. My normal mode is to stick to being like a rock; not really aggressive or passive, just sticking to the point like an unmoving rock. But I can also be somewhat like a mirror in the face of overt shows of strength or aggression, switching to a mode that mimics whatever is being thrown at me. So if I'm being met with aggression, I may mirror back some aggression.

I don't know that I have much more to say than that. I don't block people for a number of reasons, myself. I can try to avoid engaging with you, but sometimes I'm going to feel like someone needs to stand up to the aggression, lest they be disheartened by the aggression itself, rather than being defeated by a superior argument. I have never liked aggression in debate because I feel it detracts from what the goal is, which is, to me, the truth. The seeking of it should, to me, always remain front and center, and I feel that aggression falls under posturing, which is a way of "winning" an argument through sheer force of will rather than through truth value.

This is not to say that I am never aggressive in debate (in particular, see what I said about mirroring) but that is how I see it, from the standpoint of what the overall goal is.

So I don't know if the two of us can really have debates without being wrongfooted from the start.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited March 2017
    Triplis wrote: »
    #2 is absolutely not intended. The best I can give you as an explanation is that often when you make an argument, you have a thesis. Yes, one's thesis can be worded as a statement, and this is normal. As a rule of thumb? You can pretty much assume if something seems like an absurd claim devoid of proof on my behalf? I probably do not mean it literal. Italics and bold are used solely to call attention to major points of the blocks of text, that's it.

Other than that? I studied law. Debate there is pretty fierce, it rubs off. When you think someone's made a weak argument or a weak point? You get in their face about it, you do not let it stand. (how many times did I call out people that said Bowling is more detailed, for example. I'll continue to do so cause typically that statement is made with zero evidence, so I see no reason to allow that to become the general concensus of the matter) Attack, attack, attack, and that's precisely what I'll do if and when I think someone makes a weak argument. I understand it can be a little aggressive for most people, but I also recognize the value of it, so I do it. Just understand there's nothing personal in it.

As for my opinion? I imagine on some fronts I'll continue to be aggressive with it. I don't like the stuff pack model for example, but this isn't really a matter of one opinion being superior to another, nor do I see this as one where I or others can be swayed (unless they truly refined what's included OR others grew increasingly tired of them). For me to silence that opinion however is to not let my voice be heard. I like to make it known because the alternative is to just...well, cope with the stuff pack model as is and accept it. I'd like it if like-minded people could come to these forums and see they're not the only ones not content with that feature; sometimes people are hesitant to speak up when they feel they're in the overwhelming minority, so I like to be there to make sure it's not so overwhelming. And if my critique of a pack were a majority...? Yes, I want to hold EA's feet to the fire in order to encourage improvement.

As for why I insist on bringing this up? You "calling me out" yesterday was out of left field, on my end. Whether you believe me or not, your interpretation was absolutely not intended. It's not my intention to shame you for being wrong, but rather I think if left unaddressed, you and I will have great difficulty having any discussion in the future as that same suspicion/impression would remain. I think that would repeat itself consistently, and obviously that's bad. That's why I bring it up, because quite frankly if you were to insist I was trying to attack you personally or something and stand by that assertion, I'd probably block you. Not out of personal animosity or a personal grudge, but because of it being highly likely that any discussions we have would once again get "personal" and derail from a subject, thus we would both be a continuous nuisance for others that distracts from discussions.

All and all, I realize I'm going a tad off topic now, but I do so because I think reconciling is important if we're going to have meaningful discussion that doesn't derail in the future. If we can't do that, then I'll block, though that is something I'd prefer to avoid since I don't like censoring opinions from my feed. Make sense?

So I don't know if the two of us can really have debates without being wrongfooted from the start.

We'll take things one step at a time and give it a shot when that time comes. No worries til then.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    @Triplis why are you always to search problems? With you, no one can talk.
    I don't understand what you're trying to say.
    Well your opinion of such 'undertone' is just as much baseless speculation as what you're lambasting. Do you have hard facts that prove your point?

See how tricky things become when you try to suppress opinions? Because when you're molding your opinion to not offend others you are effectively suppressing that opinion, and not getting your actual feelings across.

For the sake of construtivity, as you have called for repeatedly, it's incredibly non-constructive to tell someone they can't share their opinion because it's not a 'fact'. Let's stop that here and now. Civil disageeements happen, but it's a losing battle when you try to fact check an opinion.

I think the pink iPhone is tacky, is that a fact? No that's an opinion and for me it's the honest truth, for you maybe not. That's the beautiful thing about opinions - if you don't agree, you don't have to! You can disagree all you want, all day long, but telling someone they can't say something because it's not true for you is suppression, no matter how much you disagree with the contents of their post.
    I don't see what's tricky here. For whatever reason that I haven't attempted to analyze in depth, it seems that somewhere people are learning from a fairly young age that the way to express an opinion is to express it as if it's fact and then become adamant about the truth of it when challenged, as if what they stated was something concretely proven.

It seems clear to me that this is behavior being internalized (without conscious awareness) and so when someone is called on it, they aren't always aware that they were doing it in the first place. So the accusation seems like it's out of left field. In your case, like it's an attempt to suppress an opinion, when it's just asking for opinions to be clearly communicated as opinions.

I'm not asking anyone to mold or change their opinions.

If somebody says, "Coffee plum because it tastes terrible and I dare you to prove me otherwise," that's a pretty combative way to express the opinion, which is just...

"I don't like the taste of coffee."

So many less words needed, the opinion is expressed, it isn't made combative, and it suddenly looks a lot more like sharing and opening up about yourself than picking a fight.

I would speculate (though it is just speculation) that people are learning this from a place of feeling that they need to sound confident. That if you don't sound confident, your words aren't worth anything. But sometimes the most respected minds are those who have confidence in expressing that they don't know something. And I'm not trying to make any "I'm better" point about myself in that way... I get swept up in "sounding certain" all the time.

1. Don't know what you're talking about in the beginning - it actually seems like you're doing exactly what you're accusing me of doing. Taking your opinion and promoting it as a fact? Do you have any hard evidence to say people do that? How about people here? Is that your opinion?? Is that an objective fact that you can actually prove true for everyone? You don't know my age, race, or realistically anything about me so I hardly think you are in any place for making critical analysis of myself, or anyone else here for that matter. So your "analysis" is your opinion, the little OT confidence section is your opinion, and that's cool - good for you, but kind of defeats the purpose when you're trying to lambast someone else for sharing their opinion.

You have repeatedly said "do not give your opinion as if it's fact" when that is how YOU interpreted my opinion. If you can discern between fact and opinion and realize that what's I say is actually an OPINION, not fact, then this two day back and forth barrage of comments has been a complete waste of time from someone who wants to play forum police and harass those who have differing OPINIONS than themself.

For real, this back and forth has been you directing me that my opinion isn't fact, which makes zero difference because an opinion is an opinion, and then you escalated it to my opinion is indeed an opinion, but due to some lack of confidence and lack of proper education (if I read that right?) I fail to see that and promote it as objective facts, even though nowhere in my post do I say that, but you can read body language and tone through pixels on the internet so obviously you must be right eh?? Your argument boils down to "I'm right and you're wrong" when it should boil down to "that's your opinion not mine". You've derailed the thread enough, please either get back OT or don't respond. It's a waste of your time and mine.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    1. Don't know what you're talking about in the beginning - it actually seems like you're doing exactly what you're accusing me of doing. Taking your opinion and promoting it as a fact? Do you have any hard evidence to say people do that? How about people here? Is that your opinion?? Is that an objective fact that you can actually prove true for everyone? You don't know my age, race, or realistically anything about me so I hardly think you are in any place for making critical analysis of myself, or anyone else here for that matter. So your "analysis" is your opinion, the little OT confidence section is your opinion, and that's cool - good for you, but kind of defeats the purpose when you're trying to lambast someone else for sharing their opinion.

You have repeatedly said "do not give your opinion as if it's fact" when that is how YOU interpreted my opinion. If you can discern between fact and opinion and realize that what's I say is actually an OPINION, not fact, then this two day back and forth barrage of comments has been a complete waste of time from someone who wants to play forum police and harass those who have differing OPINIONS than themself.

For real, this back and forth has been you directing me that my opinion isn't fact, which makes zero difference because an opinion is an opinion, and then you escalated it to my opinion is indeed an opinion, but due to some lack of confidence and lack of proper education (if I read that right?) I fail to see that and promote it as objective facts, even though nowhere in my post do I say that, but you can read body language and tone through pixels on the internet so obviously you must be right eh?? Your argument boils down to "I'm right and you're wrong" when it should boil down to "that's your opinion not mine". You've derailed the thread enough, please either get back OT or don't respond. It's a waste of your time and mine.
    How many times do I need to use the words "it seems," "to me," and "though it is just speculation" to make it clear that it's just something I'm theorizing and not "promoting as fact"? Phrasing that I used a lot in the post where you're saying that I'm doing what I accused you of doing

If the way to defend yourself is to try to flip the script and say "you do it too," I don't know what to tell you. Even if I had (which I hadn't) two wrongs don't make a right.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    Sorry time to rant because I'm now annoyed
    Something I have noticed on forums in general
    People love to argue about who said what. Very few of us give two plums and your arguments are so off topic; just take this somewhere else please. Preferably somewhere more private that way no one gets embarrassed on a public forum and it isn't about defending yourself but rather actually coming to an understanding.
    Unless of course you just get your kicks from debating internet debates even then please out of respect don't do it where I'm trying to read about a game (not your personal qualms about what some one said). Most of us couldn't give two plums and quite frankly it is distracting and intimidating for some of us out there who want to post here.
    Alright rant over back to topic

Reasons for me ts4 has suffered.
    Poor priorities- ie:Talking toilet instead of say adjustable apartments, a skill for basket ball or more unique festival items
    A very bare bones release- Even though they have patched a lot back in I know a lot of people who simply can not forgive the lack of toddlers or pools in the beginning
    Loss of creative features- This one is the most painful for me. The inability to mix and match almost anything in cas or build mode is plum and is further worsened by the fact that the content they do have doesn't even always match.
  • Options
    HamsysincyHamsysincy Posts: 142 Member
    Guys, TS4 has been poorly received by many simmers in many aspects since its release back in 2014 - and it will continue to be criticized.

Yes, the developers listened to us and added back toddlers, other contents will come soon but the criticism will still go on.

I mean, c'mon. The community has been ranting for the past 3 years and how long more to go? Until the release of TS5?

Just to share on my gaming experience:
    Personally, I was enjoying an online game called Overwatch (you guys may have heard about it) I was so passionate with this game and so much hours were being spent in it. Along the way, the characters were having so much balancing issues and the developer seemed oblivious to the community appeals. It was so frustrating that I had to quit this game until the developer fix this problem.

What I meant to say is that if the game is bad to some of us, it wont get better within months time. It takes months or maybe years - or maybe it wont get better at all. Ranting everyday won't quickly turn the game to be good and to some extent it may not do any good. If the game is not improving for too long, I'd prefer to leave the game for good and pursue other games or activities which are more beneficial.
  • Options
    CourtLuvesSimsCourtLuvesSims Posts: 54 Member
    I really do like 4. The only thing I really miss (besides cars, I really loved cars...) is not even open WORLD, but I'd at least like to be able to visit my immediate neighbors whose homes I can see and are very close without a loading screen. It's especially annoying with apartments. I don't even play CL much for that reason. But, all that being said I really like 4 and play it often.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    Sorry time to rant because I'm now annoyed
    Something I have noticed on forums in general
    People love to argue about who said what. Very few of us give two plums and your arguments are so off topic; just take this somewhere else please. Preferably somewhere more private that way no one gets embarrassed on a public forum and it isn't about defending yourself but rather actually coming to an understanding.
    Unless of course you just get your kicks from debating internet debates even then please out of respect don't do it where I'm trying to read about a game (not your personal qualms about what some one said). Most of us couldn't give two plums and quite frankly it is distracting and intimidating for some of us out there who want to post here.

Alright rant over back to topic

Reasons for me ts4 has suffered.
    Poor priorities- ie:Talking toilet instead of say adjustable apartments, a skill for basket ball or more unique festival items
    A very bare bones release- Even though they have patched a lot back in I know a lot of people who simply can not forgive the lack of toddlers or pools in the beginning
    Loss of creative features- This one is the most painful for me. The inability to mix and match almost anything in cas or build mode is plum and is further worsened by the fact that the content they do have doesn't even always match.
    To be honest I have the very same thing with reprimanding posts like this. It's a forum and sometimes people meet in some kind of clash and it's only natural they try to explain themselves in the very topic the misunderstanding (or whatever it was) started. Discussions like that are easy to pick out. You can just scroll and don't read them. I do read them because valuable arguments can be made in discussions like that, because it often means people have to explain what they exactly meant. So there often is something on topic in there as well. If it goes too far, fortunately we have moderators here.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited March 2017
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Milan14 wrote: »
    Evil_One wrote: »
    Work on the sims 4 started in 2008, and they scrapped everything 4 years later. Imagine how great the game couldve been if they didnt have to start over and release the game in just 2 years

Yeah, well you can thank those people who keep wanting The Sims series to be made multiplayer/co-op for that.

And to those people I say: some game formulas just won't work well in multiplayer form... accept it goshdarnit!

Agreed. It's like trying to force a round peg into a square hole.
    Ironically though there is a ton of potential upside for server-side hosting of the worlds.

Something I'm sure they're very much aware of and would love to be able to implement, but simply can't becasue the fan base would never tolerate it.

The only way they could get away with it is to actually take the financial risk, build the prototype and prove to the community that they could offer a vastly superior experience if they hosted the worlds themselve's.

If they were to ever succeded in doing that (which has about as much chance as a snownball in Hades)
    Multiplayer would be a logical and natural next step for them to explore..

Wouldn't work, even if they had perfect record with online servers (and they certainly don't), due to the nature of the game... It just can't work over the internet, too much information to throw back and forth due to the AI simulation.

And without AI simulation it's just a Sims themed chatroom.
    raw
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Work on the sims 4 started in 2008, and they scrapped everything 4 years later. Imagine how great the game couldve been if they didnt have to start over and release the game in just 2 years

Yeah, well you can thank those people who keep wanting The Sims series to be made multiplayer/co-op for that.

And to those people I say: some game formulas just won't work well in multiplayer form... accept it goshdarnit!

Agreed. It's like trying to force a round peg into a square hole.
    Ironically though there is a ton of potential upside for server-side hosting of the worlds.

Something I'm sure they're very much aware of and would love to be able to implement, but simply can't becasue the fan base would never tolerate it.

The only way they could get away with it is to actually take the financial risk, build the prototype and prove to the community that they could offer a vastly superior experience if they hosted the worlds themselve's.

If they were to ever succeded in doing that (which has about as much chance as a snownball in Hades)
    Multiplayer would be a logical and natural next step for them to explore..

Wouldn't work, even if they had perfect record with online servers (and they certainly don't), due to the nature of the game... It just can't work over the internet, too much information to throw back and forth due to the AI simulation.

And without AI simulation it's just a Sims themed chatroom.

Good point.
  • Options
    jetmackaluvsjotwahjetmackaluvsjotwah Posts: 70 Member
    You guys know Maxis consulted with actual trans people about the gender options patch, right? They didn't just ask cisgender people how trans people would logically represent themselves - as a cis person, how would I even know that? There's a good chance they actually got this right.

It is a shame that they never consulted with players over all of the 'missing content' that players had actually been asking for... :no_mouth:

Like the awesome toddlers we just got, for free? Okay, then.

Just because something wasn't asked for in a loud way doesn't mean it's not a valuable and good thing to do. Allowing a minority of people the ability to self-represent that they didn't have before is an actual good thing. It's not only popular things that are worthwhile. Sometimes things that give a minority of people a seat at the table with the rest of us are worth doing even if those things aren't clamored for. We're talking people with enormously high risks in their daily lives — rates of depression, suicide, and being victims of violence that you, as a white cis male, do not face anything like. But you think that what... being able to get in a car in a game, maybe, is more important than those people abilities to represent themselves at all? Just because more people openly want it?

I believe that good things should be done, not only things that are popular. And that it's really cool when companies that could be making piles of cash by selling you your virtual cars to vroom around in instead choose to give that regularly oppressed sliver of the population a free seat at the grownups' table. Did that get the company some attention? Sure, and deservedly so. They did a good thing and deserve some credit for, yet again, breaking ground in enabling nonmajority-group people to represent their lives in simulation play.

Going vroom in cars (or whatever else you have in mind) is not more important than that. Just more popular.

What has me being 'white' have to do with anything?

It means that you've been, by default, less likely to be personally exposed to a whole host of problems that other people have been. It's something I'm very conscious of in my own life as a white person; friends and acquaintances who aren't deal with all sorts of stuff I don't have to. I have similar privilege as a cis, hetero person.

But please go ahead and privilege your need for whatever popular thing you like over other people's ability to self-represent at a basic level.

Just because a person is white, does not automatically make them "privileged". I've seen plenty of people of other races be born with more "privilege" than some people I know personally. This forum is also not the place for virtue signalling buzz words. You have Tumblr and Facebook for that.
  • Options
    MissCherie wrote: »
    You guys know Maxis consulted with actual trans people about the gender options patch, right? They didn't just ask cisgender people how trans people would logically represent themselves - as a cis person, how would I even know that? There's a good chance they actually got this right.

It is a shame that they never consulted with players over all of the 'missing content' that players had actually been asking for... :no_mouth:

Just because something wasn't asked for in a loud way doesn't mean it's not a valuable and good thing to do. Allowing a minority of people the ability to self-represent that they didn't have before is an actual good thing. It's not only popular things that are worthwhile. Sometimes things that give a minority of people a seat at the table with the rest of us are worth doing even if those things aren't clamored for. We're talking people with enormously high risks in their daily lives — rates of depression, suicide, and being victims of violence that you, as a white cis male, do not face anything like. But you think that what... being able to get in a car in a game, maybe, is more important than those people abilities to represent themselves at all? Just because more people openly want it?

I believe that good things should be done, not only things that are popular. And that it's really cool when companies that could be making piles of cash by selling you your virtual cars to vroom around in instead choose to give that regularly oppressed sliver of the population a free seat at the grownups' table. Did that get the company some attention? Sure, and deservedly so. They did a good thing and deserve some credit for, yet again, breaking ground in enabling nonmajority-group people to represent their lives in simulation play.

Going vroom in cars (or whatever else you have in mind) is not more important than that. Just more popular.

It means that you've been, by default, less likely to be personally exposed to a whole host of problems that other people have been. It's something I'm very conscious of in my own life as a white person; friends and acquaintances who aren't deal with all sorts of stuff I don't have to. I have similar privilege as a cis, hetero person.

But please go ahead and privilege your need for whatever popular thing you like over other people's ability to self-represent at a basic level.

@luthienrising Are you that ignorant or just plum? From all the depressions and suicides that did happen around me it was all white straight people (and it's not cause I'm only surrounded by mostly white straight people, for years I was mostly surrounded by lesbians and muslims), so plum off with your ''white cis privileges'', this isn't Tumblr. Being depressed, suicidal, bullied, etc... isn't plum exclusive to non- white and non-straight people, being white doesn't keep you from having problems and issues. If racism and homophobia was disappearing tomorrow, depression, suicide and bullying would still exist.

Ignorant? No, I'm familiar with mental health etc. statistics, thanks. And I never said "white people have no problems". I phrased what I said very carefully so as not to say that because I have good reason to know that white cisgender people have problems too. "Cisgender," by the way, is not a special magical Tumblr community word, nor is "privilege"; they both come from academic discourse long before anything like Tumblr existed ("privilege" in this use predates computers, even; "cisgender" goes back to 1991) and have spread out into more general use from there.

I'm not going to continue to argue over this. If you think I said something racist against white people, you're welcome to report me for it.

And that one word? Changes nothing about the value of what Maxis has done with Sims over the last 17 years for representation.

Tumblr doesn't make you proficient in mental illness.
  • Options
    Now before I say anything I want You to know that I do like The Sims 4 & I enjoy Playing it & I'm not a hater or anything so please don't be like this plum.gif

Ok now that is out of the way let's talk about this.

The sims 4 was released in 2014 ... in the era of magnificent games like Gta V / Mortal Kombat X / Battlefield 4 etc ....
    everything looked extremely good & we felt the future of gaming coming.

gtav_details09122014_004.jpg

So when the sims 4 was announced we expected something revolutionary , Something magical to the future of The Sims franchise , specially that it's one of the most selling PC games of all times.

TheSims4Logo2.jpg

but when the actual game was revealed and we saw how it lacked so many features that was in previous sims games & how it didn't add anything revolutionary except for CAS creation & Build mode many of us got very disappointed including me.
    I never liked the art of the Sims themselves in the game especially the hair "It grew on me a little now" & I hated how they removed amazing features like CAST & open worlds & many other things.
    I wouldn't care about open world if they atleast made open neighborhood districts.

xkoFvYZ.png

so We "The Simmers" were sitting there looking at this game & we were like .... wait what ?
    Is this really The fourth installment of this game ? in 2014 ??
    It was just not good enough.

The reason why The Sims 2 was sooo huge & successful is the fact that it didn't feel like a 2004 game , it was MAGIC for it's time... the game would've been released in 2008 and still was a great game because of how awesome it was & how hugely it improved from The Sims 1 to The Sims 2.

597247-914811_20040902_002.jpg

The Sims 3 was a great improvement too & it added so many things that wasn't in the sims 2 like Open worlds , CAST & cars being in the base game.
    & if it wasn't so buggy and if sims looked better , The sims 3 would've been a perfect game as well & it was a good game for it's age.

Spring+Fair.jpg

now back to The Sims 4 .... after all the improvements that we saw in previous installments of the franchise & how each game added HUGE new features .. we expected The sims 4 to be THEBOMB.COM ! but it was totally the opposite.
    with more than 90 really needed features that was removed from The Sims 3 specially "open world , CAST & toddlers" everyone was shocked & disappointed with the game.

wnqzeoq6fwxuyjdw0h7k.png

maybe The Sims Olympus just messed everything up & if they worked on an actual "The Sims 4" from the beginning , none of this would've happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsx-pgwMYew

now game is slowly bringing back missing features like "Ghosts , Pools , Repair man etc..." but it's like a little too late ...

The Sims 4 is not a bad game after all & the fact that it sold 5 million copies proves that but maybe it's not good enough to be released in this era.

Thanks for reading & sorry if this was hard to read "Enlish is not my first language"
    If You have different opinions than mine please say them in a respectful way. :)
    have a good day

I agree with everything you've said - minus the sims in Sims 3 looking ugly, I actually like how they look. They look better to me than the sims in 4. But with that being said, I honestly think even without the open world or CASt, or vehicles, one of the biggest killers for me is that fact that playing Sims 4 is like playing a 1950's sitcom. All the thrill that were in the previous games are just gone. Remember back in Sims 2, when you're sim or sims would cloud gaze, and the ran the risk of being crushed by a satellite? Or that random chance of you sim dying when they repaired the radio.

Or how in The Sims, when you would send your family on vacation one or all of them would come down with Montezuma's revenge, and I know sims could get food poisoning in Sims 2 as well. Even in Sims 3! I one sim, even though she's a level 5 I believe in cooking, all she does in burn food, and 9 times of 10, she ends up getting her hubby and kids sick from her cooking. lol

And other aspects, like no burglary whatsoever. I loved having to have my sims get a car alarm installed in Sims 2, so that a thief wouldn't take it. I was hoping it would make a come back in Sims 3. Or just the random act of burglary period. It is no existent in Sims 4. Even when they get sick it isn't something to really worry about. I thought with GTW sickness would be similar to how it was in Sims 2, but better. I liked how your sim could get just a common cold, but then it could become the flu, or worse, pneumonia. And if you didn't take care of them - and sometimes even when you did - they'd die.

Or the guinea pig disease in Sims 1. Man, I remember my first family who got sick from it. It was a mom, dad, and their daughter. The daughter came home from school and started sneezing. Of course I had no idea what was going on, and I thought maybe she had allergies. So I deleted all the trees, flowers, and bushes off of the lot. Then the dad started sneezing too along with the mom.

So then I thought maybe they had a gas leak. lol So I deleted the stove. That's when the dad died! Then the mom! And I exited the lot without saving. This happened four times. I then moved them to a new home. Yet the mom and dad still died. At this point I have to get online and see what was going on. When I found out what was making them sick I started cracking up. After that, I made sure that the guinea pig's cage was spot less, and that no one got bit by him.

Those little things are sorely missing, and they need to be added back. I hate that my sims live in such a sterile, harm free world. Nothing bad every happens. There are no consequences to their actions. They need to bring that SPICE back to the game.

Yess!!
    I actually just got the entire Sims 1 collection off of eBay for like $22..
    I absolutely love how dark and surprising it is.
    Plus there are tons of mods to help with the rapid needs decay.
    Anyway, I got a genie and had my guy sim wish for family.. it backfired and my female sim went all the way into the red. The genie was just like oops, bye!
    Then I got a call on the phone around 2AM and won like $1000.

There is no creepy or odd in S4.. well, the wishing well comes close but it seems like one of the developers was pretty sneaky getting it in there.
    There's nothing that makes me go, "Wow, that is so weird."
    No emotional ties I guess is what I'm trying to say.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited April 2017

@luthienrising Are you that ignorant or just plum? From all the depressions and suicides that did happen around me it was all white straight people (and it's not cause I'm only surrounded by mostly white straight people, for years I was mostly surrounded by lesbians and muslims), so plum off with your ''white cis privileges'', this isn't Tumblr. Being depressed, suicidal, bullied, etc... isn't plum exclusive to non- white and non-straight people, being white doesn't keep you from having problems and issues. If racism and homophobia was disappearing tomorrow, depression, suicide and bullying would still exist.

Ignorant? No, I'm familiar with mental health etc. statistics, thanks. And I never said "white people have no problems". I phrased what I said very carefully so as not to say that because I have good reason to know that white cisgender people have problems too. "Cisgender," by the way, is not a special magical Tumblr community word, nor is "privilege"; they both come from academic discourse long before anything like Tumblr existed ("privilege" in this use predates computers, even; "cisgender" goes back to 1991) and have spread out into more general use from there.

I'm not going to continue to argue over this. If you think I said something racist against white people, you're welcome to report me for it.

And that one word? Changes nothing about the value of what Maxis has done with Sims over the last 17 years for representation.

Tumblr doesn't make you proficient in mental illness.

I don't get my info from Tumblr. I get it from peer-reviewed journals, textbooks, reference materials, meetings and conferences as part of my work. (Mental illness is subject matter I work on regularly; language use is my career.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    heatherXkittyheatherXkitty Posts: 307 Member
    Since I had played TS1, 2 and 3 I had high expectations for TS4 which were not met. TS4 was very lacking in features that came with TS2 & TS3 basegame. I do hope that sooner rather than later features we lost with TS4 will be patch in.

Sidenote: Many of the people in this thread either have too much hate & negativity in their hearts or really like arguing with people.
    banner_3.jpg?w=1200
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Some people need to stay on topic in the threads and not wonder off into arguments, Back on topic > I do not think that the Sims 4 is bad per say, I just think it needs more work, which I really can not judge the game totally yet since it is not Finished .
  • Options
    husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member

stop saying that word
    pKOSrKH.gif
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited October 2017

stop saying that word

Sorry you find it annoying somehow, but it's the *only* word that describes people who experience themselves as the same gender as their physical characteristics. There is no other word for this.

Also, why on earth are you bringing this up after all this time?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    To the OP; The Sims 4 is none of those games, and I'm glad it isn't because GTA is not my cup of tea. I love ts4 for what it is, sure it's not like ts2 & 3, but look back at ts3 it wasn't like ts2 either, they each bring unique ways to play.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    Sims games get better as the EPs pile on.
    For me, I believe TS4 will take about 3 or 4 before I can get into playing it. That wasn't the case with TS2 and TS3.

Right now, I can only get as far as exploring new content. After that I have no desire to play.
    I think Generations and University will do it for me, but still, this isn't the game I was hoping it would be and I doubt it ever will.

I still think I will enjoy it once all the expansion packs are created, but I am already hoping TS5 will give us TS2 game play, TS3 CASt and open world (even if it's on a smaller scale), and TS4's Sims (not its age stages) and build mode. TS4's art style is OK, but I would want more detailed meshes and textures.

Well that opinion was more than a year ago and I am still feeling... a bit meh.
    I do like what the toddler patch Parenthood are offering, but I am still looking forward to more EPs. I don't feel like playing without Seasons, University, and Supernatural. I recently built a new computer and I had to install TS3 all over again. I was feeling the same about it until Seasons, University, and Supernatural went in.

Going without the open world and create-a-style is a big adjustment for me, so I hope the remaining EPs and Game packs are as good as toddlers and Parenthood.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    TS4 is mediocre at best.

All of it's predecessors were innovative, creative, and in depth. Instead of building on what had already been accomplished and taking the best of what had already been done..... they watered it down, made it so sensitive that using the phrase politically correct can be deemed as offensive.

Now everything that was beloved in past games is considered a "trigger" therefore will no longer be in the game. And game play and graphics have been sacrificed to enabled nickle dimming the current players with Stuff packs (which contain mostly re-colors of what is already in the game) and Game Packs... and so forth. $20 bucks here....$20 buck there... maybe $40 bucks if they add another 3 chairs.

TS4 to me is Not a Sims game. It's a poor knock of what used to be a Sims game. Considering that they destroyed SimCity.... I suppose it wont be too hard for them to destroy The Sims as well. They are doing a pretty good job of that so far.

For those who love it.... Great for you. I just hope when it's all over.... someone else takes over the development of this game, and makes the Sims game we were all expecting and deserve.
  • Options
    Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    TS4 is just the ashes of what once was a great franchise and now it's easy money for EA, with brainless fans that will buy anything (me too). They're milking the cow and when it's dead, they'll bury it and that's all.
    They don't care, they don't seem to care, TS4 is just a lazy game made with no pasion at all.
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
  • Options
    ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    I'm not brainless, just because someone likes TS4 does not make them brainless.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    I'm not brainless, just because someone likes TS4 does not make them brainless.
    No, I actually think that I would have liked TS4 too if it was my first Sims game. But I started with TS2 13 yrs ago and after playing TS2 and TS3 then TS4 just isn’t good enough.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member

stop saying that word

Sorry you find it annoying somehow, but it's the *only* word that describes people who experience themselves as the same gender as their physical characteristics. There is no other word for this.

Also, why on earth are you bringing this up after all this time?

Well, as gender is structured by the exact same biological process that structures biological sex, the word is entirely superfluous.
    raw