Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Just to clarify, can it be any lot size? And no additional bedrooms correct? Unless we would like to of course.
  • Options
    BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    Just to clarify, can it be any lot size? And no additional bedrooms correct? Unless we would like to of course.
    Yes, on both questions.

GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    ATTENTION ADVANCED ENTRANTS FOR #194 - THE HAWTHORNE PROJECT

Your results are now available here.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Loving the last couple of entries. REALLY nice. Peaceful with lots of room!
  • Options
    ZayvenZayven Posts: 67 Member
    Is Rosie and Journye a previous contest? Is there a number so I can go back and look? :)
    Thanks!
  • Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    Zayven wrote: »
    Is Rosie and Journye a previous contest? Is there a number so I can go back and look? :)
    Thanks!

Links are at the bottom of the challenge post to the previous challenges referenced. :)
  • Options
    ZayvenZayven Posts: 67 Member
    Thanks! I completely missed them :(
  • Options
    Zayven wrote: »
    Thanks!

Links are at the bottom of the challenge post to the previous challenges referenced. :)
    Thanks for pointing that out @creativemetaphor :kissing_smiling_eyes:
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    That was a fun way to spend the day (in-between shopping, cooking, cleaning, and eating)! I built the house, furnished it, and CASted it already. I have $3 left over. Not enough for a tissue box! Maybe tomorrow I'll play test it and do a little tweaking on the CASting.

I hope you all are having fun with this one too.
  • Options
  • Options
    Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    It looks great @ciane!! Why don't you submit a formal entry this time around?
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I got a start on my build last night! Despite two crashes, I got the shell and landscape/pool finished, at just about half budget, so I should *hopefully* be able to furnish adequately. But my game has been extremely unreliable lately. It took me over a week just to do the screenshots for the last entry so I'm not sure if I'll get this one done and submitted in time or not.

@ciane Looks lovely!! I like your name, too :)
  • Options
    I just do it for fun. I don't want to spend all the time on the pic requirements. I do just enough to fill up the UIC pics. :smiley:
  • Options
    ciane wrote: »
    I just do it for fun. I don't want to spend all the time on the pic requirements. I do just enough to fill up the UIC pics. :smiley:

You should make a separate thread for all your BnS Challenges. There aren't any picture requirements are there?
  • Options
    You are supposed to take pics of all the rooms from at least two sides to show everything in the room from the sims height from what I recall so that the judge sees everything. I don't care about judging and I don't want to spend all the time taking pics and uploading them either.

I just enjoy building and I love a challenge. This month's challenge was getting that foundation to just three bricks in height so the stairs wouldn't lower or raise the terrain. Seriously, does any one have a better way to do that? I lower terrain and build foundation and use CFE to drag across from the scaffold to the foundation of the home. I just keep lowering and raising and putting in foundation until I get close enough.
  • Options
    @ciane What do you mean getting the foundation to three bricks in height?
  • Options
    The wall paper that is on the foundation normally is bricks. You need three exact rows of bricks for one step. I'd have two and a half bricks and the ground would sink when I alt'd in the step. Or I'd have a little over three bricks and I'd get two steps sinking the ground or one step raising the ground. That was my guide to help me know when I had the height where I needed it.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what you mean either @ciane. What did you use to make the foundation and how many stairs lead up to It?
  • Options
    @ciane Oooh I get it, you want the foundation to be exactly one step high.

Here's how I've done that in past, though it's always a little fussy: a foundation is normally 4 steps high. So using alt, sink a single step into the ground, level the immediate area, then sink another step, level, then sink another step. Now when you place your foundation, it should sit exactly 1 step above grade without raising/lowering the ground.

This is also how I do my walk-out basements, only with three sets of 4 steps (that is, one full 'square' of steps placed 3 times) to sink exactly the height needed to put a full wall inside the foundation.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @ciane Oooh I get it, you want the foundation to be exactly one step high.

Here's how I've done that in past, though it's always a little fussy: a foundation is normally 4 steps high. So using alt, sink a single step into the ground, level the immediate area, then sink another step, level, then sink another step. Now when you place your foundation, it should sit exactly 1 step above grade without raising/lowering the ground.

This is also how I do my walk-out basements, only with three sets of 4 steps (that is, one full 'square' of steps placed 3 times) to sink exactly the height needed to put a full wall inside the foundation.

One step high - oooh...you should just be able to hold down alt without an other finagling. So hold down alt while using the foundation tool.
  • Options
    You can hold down alt with the foundation? Wow! I only knew it worked with steps. I'll have to test that.

CM, I want to build up on the flat lot, so I didn't play with the terrain. But, I should have built down three stairs and leveled a spot to put in a normal foundation and then CFE level over to the other foundation. See, it's always better to get other ideas. Sometimes you just don't think of all the possible ways to do something. We should have a guide for that!
  • Options
    ciane wrote: »
    You can hold down alt with the foundation? Wow! I only knew it worked with steps. I'll have to test that.

CM, I want to build up on the flat lot, so I didn't play with the terrain. But, I should have built down three stairs and leveled a spot to put in a normal foundation and then CFE level over to the other foundation. See, it's always better to get other ideas. Sometimes you just don't think of all the possible ways to do something. We should have a guide for that!

Yes, easy peasy :mrgreen:
  • Options
    @aricarai I had heard of that trick, but I thought that only made the foundation a full-height wall, I didn't know you could use it for variable heights! Will have to try that :)
  • Options
    @aricarai I had heard of that trick, but I thought that only made the foundation a full-height wall, I didn't know you could use it for variable heights! Will have to try that :)

It's just for one stair height when you hold down alt and drag the foundation; I think any other height involves CFE.
  • Options
    djsdragongirldjsdragongirl Posts: 843 Member
    This sounds like a fun challenge. I'll give it a go and I might even go an extra mile and build the other 2 houses if I have time after I build the first one, that way the girls aren't staying all in one house...lol

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top