Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What makes you to come back to The Sims 2?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    PeachesnDucksPeachesnDucks Posts: 1,537 Member
    Personalities and genetics. Sims 2 has the best genetics and when you are doing a legacy I like how the genes are passed on generation to generation. I think that each Sim is unique and you can become really attached to them, unlike some of the other versions. Also, you never know what is going to happen. It has randomness that I enjoy a lot.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    LOL, TS2 got the best compliment today. I was finally playing my new hood and my remade Dark Shadows characters in their home in Collinwood.

My husband walked by my pc.

He asked, 'What game is that?
    I said simply 'Sims'.

He said in disbelief, ' No it's not, that looks real.'

I said, 'I know,... it's The Sims 2.

He said, 'That looks better than The Sims 4.'

All I could say is 'I know' :D

Then he said 'Look at that texture on the rug..that looks real, that lamp, the walls, the Sims...'

All I could say is "I know.' :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    LOL, TS2 got the best compliment today. I was finally playing my new hood and my remade Dark Shadows characters in their home in Collinwood.

I said simply 'Sims'.

Then he said 'Look at that texture on the rug..that looks real, that lamp, the walls, the Sims...'

My husband also thinks The Sims 2 looks better than the Sims 4. Again on details and textures. He is also a gamer. I don’t think he’s keen on the cartoon look of the sims 4.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I said simply 'Sims'.

My husband also thinks The Sims 2 looks better than the Sims 4. Again on details and textures. He is also a gamer. I don’t think he’s keen on the cartoon look of the sims 4.

And the Sims he was watching as he stood there, were not even dressed in custom clothes nor was there that much cc in their house, only a few objects like different end tables etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    It's going to sound like I'm sugarcoating it, but honestly, TS2 just did nearly everything the best on first attempt.

Whereas TS4, for instance, has fallen short in many different areas, and still receives patches to catch up to the predecessors in various ways, TS2 never really had to do any of this. The content that was there was great and well-designed, which allowed the developers back then to focus on actually innovating within the original genre of this game, life simulation. TS4 has abandoned the life simulation roots of this franchise and aligns itself more to be a game about time management, which is just boring.

The Sims themselves, genetics, challenging life sim gameplay, unlimited potential, music, etc... it just all makes me want to play TS2 again no matter how much I play the sequels.
  • Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    My sims are why I keep going back. It takes me like three days to get attached...
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Options
    BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
    Sims 2 genetics are so awesome, I love the recessive and dominant genes and the fact that sims can inherit their genes from their ancestors. The lightening bolts are another reason I keep coming back to sims 2. If I cant find a suitable partner for my sim I just have to call the matchmaker and give them a blind date. There is so much attention to detail in sims 2 and so much to discover, I still havnt done everything yet.
  • Options
    KharkyKharky Posts: 13 New Member
    Does The Sims 2 work on Windows 10 ok?
  • Options
    From disk specifically - I cannot find them on Origin.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Kharky wrote: »
    From disk specifically - I cannot find them on Origin.

A lot of people have issues with the disks on 10, but many have got it to run fine. If you have the disks you should just contact EA and ask for the Ultimate collection. It would be less of a hassle. (Though the UC still needs some tweaking on newer systems) Instructions on the first post of this thread.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/814708/how-to-get-ts2-ultimate-collection-windows/p1
  • Options
    I did have some disks but I sold them.
    Can you buy the Ultimate collection?
  • Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    Does The Sims 2 work on Windows 10 ok?

Yes. However, older discs (if you have 2 in the package) may run into problems due to formatting. If you give EA the registration number, they'll give you an origin copy, and you can then remove securom and delete origin.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    This, I love the Soundtrack of TS2 :blush:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD_vx-eMtGY
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I second Jules's advice. I have the full set of TS2 disks & tried installing on my new Windows 10 machine. Number one installed and ran just fine, but installation problems began as soon as I added an expansion that required the update procedure. After a couple of attempts I contacted EA help and learned from the rep that the 'curtain is closed' on disk updating. Got UC right of the bat, so am very grateful to him. There are various tweaks needed, mostly in video, that I learned from various folks here (including Jules (Thanx!)). Game runs slick as you please on a machine that finally has the horsepower and video strength to handle the game properly. As for the topic question, the game just nails it, big things to tiny details you would never expect. Like the warning labels on the back of electronics. The folks who made this one cared, really cared.
  • Options
    MorticiaBlack7MorticiaBlack7 Posts: 130 Member
    You guys make me want to get back to sims 2 and give it the second shot... :D It has always been my least favourite of sims games, but maybe I misjudged it.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited October 2017
    I did have some disks but I sold them.
    Can you buy the Ultimate collection?

No you can't buy the UC, but if you could get a disk of e-bay or something that would increase your chances of getting the UC to download. Though some people have been successful without a disk, you just need to keep trying. :)
    You guys make me want to get back to sims 2 and give it the second shot... :D It has always been my least favourite of sims games, but maybe I misjudged it.

:D Everyone has their own tastes for games. I am not sure which part or parts you didn't enjoy. Yes it is old, but the gameplay has not been matched since IMO.
  • Options
    ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    Cinematics, gosh I miss Cinematics.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Facial expressions & gestures, especially when something unexpected happens. Been playing steadily since its release and I'm still seeing new ones. Sense of timing. Recently there were 2 sims talking about a third one, said sim shows up and joins the conversation. The looks of astonishment on the faces of the first 2 sims was priceless!
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    As for the topic question, the game just nails it, big things to tiny details you would never expect. Like the warning labels on the back of electronics. The folks who made this one cared, really cared.

I feel this too, and it honestly makes me want to cry when I see what has happened to The Sims and what it has become.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding