Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pets Are NOT Playable!

Comments

• Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    By the way, will there be a Live Stream bout this pack when it comes out, if so what day and time please?
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    In Sims 2 the pets could run away if they had low motives or low relationships with other sims on the lot. Fire could scare them. You could call the police to help find your missing pet, but that didn't always work. In Sims 4 we do not have police and I doubt the detective career is going to be of any use. Having a collar might be helpful. I will have to check the gameplay.

In the Sims 2 the pet had to have the collar on in order for the police or dog Warden to be able to find them and bring them back home to ya, if they did not have the collar on, then they were gone for good, at least that is what happened to Me in My games.

It has been a while since I have played it, but I do vaguely remember that. Problem is I am such a animal nut that they never ran away, lol. I did have small pets die though.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    In Sims 2 the pets could run away if they had low motives or low relationships with other sims on the lot. Fire could scare them. You could call the police to help find your missing pet, but that didn't always work. In Sims 4 we do not have police and I doubt the detective career is going to be of any use. Having a collar might be helpful. I will have to check the gameplay.

In the Sims 2 the pet had to have the collar on in order for the police or dog Warden to be able to find them and bring them back home to ya, if they did not have the collar on, then they were gone for good, at least that is what happened to Me in My games.

It has been a while since I have played it, but I do vaguely remember that. Problem is I am such a animal nut that they never ran away, lol. I did have small pets die though.

I had only one or two run away when I first started playing the Sims 2, but after I got the hang of it, they all stayed, and I did not have any die on Me, thank goodness, :)
    My favorite roll in the game is not always to make them in cas, but to take them off the streets as they walked by My Sims houses and Adopt them, :)
  • Options
    By the way, will there be a Live Stream bout this pack when it comes out, if so what day and time please?

The next livestream is in two weeks is all I know at the moment.
  • Options

Okay Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
  • Options

Okay Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Your very welcome.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member

This is making me worry again.
  • Options

No, I wouldn't worry about it. I would wait to see what they say. I think there will be positives and also some negatives like everything else in life. I will deal with it then.
  • Options
    BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 638 Member
    I actually don't mind that they're not playable. I think I rather focus on the discipline and training than the day to day activities like eating and bathroom needs.
  • Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member

There's a livestream on 26th October about the vet career and another one on 2nd November about live mode/buy mode/the world.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

Why?
  • Options
    lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    I don't mind the dogs and cats not being controllable like the sims themselves. I know I can barely control my real life Pets and all their crazy antics so why should it be any different in the sims? :D

I am really bummed out that it's only cats and dog though. :( I would of liked some smaller pets like little hanging bird cages with parakeets love birds etc, or larger birds like parrots, macaws, or crows would be cool! even small square table top fish tanks with cute treasure chest bubblers, deep sea divers, or just silly little choices for your tanks decor would be fun. It would of been nice to have a size inbetween the giant tanks and the little goldfish bowls, also lizards, hermit crabs, and snakes, as well as hamsters, chinchillas, Guinea pigs, and rabbits, etc etc...a lot of people have these pets in real life instead of cats and dogs.

Not that I don't love cats and dogs because I love them bunches but, I've had load of different pets throughout my life not just cats and dogs.

A farm animal pack would have been nice as well. And, could of made a nice farming career by selling eggs from chickens, and milk butter and cheese from cows and goats. Oh well I'll wait until I play to make my mind up and hope more pets will be added in future packs. ;)
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

• Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I think they'll be a downgrade regardless of anything that is said by the Gurus or the community itself. It'll be inevitable, because nearly everything that has happened to this franchise since 2014 has been a downgrade.
    The problem is that they've been trying to reinvent the wheel with everything, when no such thing is needed or wanted.

Agreed.

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    Loanet wrote: »
    I kind of expect more types of small pet. And I definitely hope that we'll be able to do more with them than tap on the glass. But then again, I don't think all our future small pets will come in one pack. Like we'll have a big GP, sure. But also that we'll get other types of pets in other packs with other things.

Agreed.

More Pets
    Lifestages
    Lifestates
    Holiday destinations
    Winter
    Spring
    Summer
    Fall

Could end up in gps

• Options
    bixters wrote: »
    I think they'll be a downgrade regardless of anything that is said by the Gurus or the community itself. It'll be inevitable, because nearly everything that has happened to this franchise since 2014 has been a downgrade.
    The problem is that they've been trying to reinvent the wheel with everything, when no such thing is needed or wanted.

You don't know that yet, you're just needlessly pessimistic. Toddlers and vampires both ended up better than their predecessors, so why couldn't cats and dogs?

Pets is already a downgrade

No needs showing
    No caged animal
    No controllable pets
    No horses
    No unicorns
    No barns

And it's the same thing with the other packs.

• Options
    bixters wrote: »

You don't know that yet, you're just needlessly pessimistic. Toddlers and vampires both ended up better than their predecessors, so why couldn't cats and dogs?
    Are you kidding me?

- Pets can't be controlled and their needs are not visible.
    - No dog houses.
    - There are no pet allergies.
    - Pets can only die of old age.
    - There are no pet contests.
    - Pets can't be sold.
    - No pets career.
    - Pets can't be aged up manually.
    - There are about a million different, unnecessary "pet outfits".
    - The pets look worse than they did in TS3 six years ago.

This joke of a pack is going to be a waste of money just like the previous ones have been.

Wow more bad things to add to the list :(
    This packs going to suck.

• Options
    Loanet wrote: »
    Raccoons aren't new to the series though. They have been in the game since the sims 1.
    They are basically cats and dogs as they use the same skeleton. Oh and they make different sounds.

But we get to own them

I see your point but it doesn't make up for horses, unicorns, womrats, birds, turtles and snakes. Raccoons and foxes are the same animal as cats and dogs in game, different sound. Not to mention being able to view my pets needs and controls them should I desire it.

You don't get them NOW. In fact, lots of the small pets of Sims 3 were one thing with reskins. But for the future? Why have a grass snake when you can dress yourself in a boa constrictor?

I have very little doubt that with Cats & Dogs done, the Gamepack and Stuff Pack squads will be just itching to give you things like birds with more interactions, and ant farms you can do something with.

Of course it will be milked.
    Horses and caged animals packs.

• Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    With all this new information that was released during the recent livestream, I'm a bit contradicted when it comes to the pets' playability. Mostly, I don't mind it, because I liked the unpredictability and craziness of the TS2 pets. However, there are a couple of things that have been on my mind and I wanted to share them with all of you.

Firstly, storytellers (I'm not one, but many Simmers here are) will probably be bummed with this new version. Secondly, I'm worried that this time around the pets don't have some of the features they had in previous installments, like careers and skills. "How does it all connect with the playability, though?", you may ask. Well, for me, it feels like we still haven't got a lot of information regarding the gameplay, so I'm a bit concerned when it comes to how much reckless and spontaneous the pets will truly be. If they are anything like Toddlers, I think I'll be pretty satisfied and as long as their needs are rather visible. I know that we don't get a UI this time around, so I hope we'll have a straightforward way of telling what our pet needs. And, also, how much effective the search for them will be when/if they run away.

Overall, though, I think it'll be a solid EP. Let's not forget that "Vampires" and "Parenthood" were awesome packs, so let's hope 2017 only has perfection booked for all the Simmers!
  • Options
    samlyt22 wrote: »

There's a livestream on 26th October about the vet career and another one on 2nd November about live mode/buy mode/the world.

Awesome thanks, much appreciated. :)
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member

What about the pets? Shouldn't we see gameplay about animals ?
  • Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member

What about the pets? Shouldn't we see gameplay about animals ?

That will be in the live stream on 2nd November.
  • Options
    elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    (Sorry in advance for the rambling.)

"Pets" has always been my absolute favorite expansion. When TS3 came out, I didn't like the way the pets (especially dogs) looked at all, but the gameplay proved to be a lot of fun. This time I think the pets look fantastic, as I've always loved that cartoony look, but the actual game play is shaping up to be incredibly disappointing. And, y'know, gameplay is kinda important when it comes to...playing a game.

I'm sure I'll have tons of fun making all the pets for my Sims, and that's great, but I'm actually afraid I'll be really diappointed when it comes to how their stories will play out in the game itself. So far the list is long of things I'm doubtful about, but hands-down what gets me the most is that we won't be able to control them. To be honest, their "we didn't want players micro-managing their pets" remark kinda infuriated me. Why decide something like that for the player? I'm a top-notch micro manager lol. I micro manage whole towns for crying out loud.

I mean... If someone doesn't want to control their pet, fine. That's their prerogative. But we should be given the option to control them as well... You can't just give us a gameplay element and then snatch it away. It's not right, man. Not to mention, any story ideas that I had for my pets has flown right out the window like the non-existent pet birds in this pack.

For example, I was getting so excited about this story I had in mind where a cat from one of my households wanders out and meets a cat from another household, then falls in love with them and has kittens. But now that won't be a possibility (unless I send one household to anothers, which imo will feel more forced than just sending the cat there myself). It severely limits me and many other players like me. I sincerely hope there will be a mod for this since it's confirmed there will be no cheat. Disappointing. But at least they'll look nice, right?
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    LemDoodle wrote: »

"Pets" has always been my absolute favorite expansion. When TS3 came out, I didn't like the way the pets (especially dogs) looked at all, but the gameplay proved to be a lot of fun. This time I think the pets look fantastic, as I've always loved that cartoony look, but the actual game play is shaping up to be incredibly disappointing. And, y'know, gameplay is kinda important when it comes to...playing a game.

I'm sure I'll have tons of fun making all the pets for my Sims, and that's great, but I'm actually afraid I'll be really diappointed when it comes to how their stories will play out in the game itself. So far the list is long of things I'm doubtful about, but hands-down what gets me the most is that we won't be able to control them. To be honest, their "we didn't want players micro-managing their pets" remark kinda infuriated me. Why decide something like that for the player? I'm a top-notch micro manager lol. I micro manage whole towns for crying out loud.

I mean... If someone doesn't want to control their pet, fine. That's their prerogative. But we should be given the option to control them as well... You can't just give us a gameplay element and then snatch it away. It's not right, man. Not to mention, any story ideas that I had for my pets has flown right out the window like the non-existent pet birds in this pack.

For example, I was getting so excited about this story I had in mind where a cat from one of my households wanders out and meets a cat from another household, then falls in love with them and has kittens. But now that won't be a possibility (unless I send one household to anothers, which imo will feel more forced than just sending the cat there myself). It severely limits me and many other players like me. I sincerely hope there will be a mod for this since it's confirmed there will be no cheat. Disappointing. But at least they'll look nice, right?

Yes, they will look nice! I'm very excited for this pack.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Looking pretty isn’t enough at least in my opinion. Game play is key. Cats and dogs look okay. But beauty only gets you so far. I can get on bored with not controlling pets if I had too but as a storyteller it wouldn’t be my first choice. It’s the limitations that are dripping out since that is firmly keeping my money in my wallet until I have further info. I’m starting to feel like we haven’t been asked what we want, we have been told what we want.
  • Options
    SiMsStoriesSiMsStories Posts: 219 Member
    LemDoodle wrote: »

I agree with this comment right here. Pets have always been my favorite expansion when it comes to the sims franchise. I only play sims 2 pets on console and they were direct controllable. I did not have a strong gaming laptop at the time the sims 3 so I couldn't record my game play and make stories out of them, but I have watched YouTube videos of stories that focus mainly on the pets and was hoping to make my own story but, like you have just said that has been thrown out of the window.

I do have a back up plan but until we honestly see some game play on how a sim can directly control a pet's needs. The pet will be nothing more but a background character instead of being the main protagonist/second protagonist (If I have to pause the game before it runs off somewhere else, chase a cat up the tree and not even doing what I honestly want/command it to do etc).
    BHv51HO.gif
    Alive - Episode 2: Friends |watch it on| Youtube | Forum | Twitter