Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pets Are NOT Playable!

Comments

• Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I kind of expect more types of small pet. And I definitely hope that we'll be able to do more with them than tap on the glass. But then again, I don't think all our future small pets will come in one pack. Like we'll have a big GP, sure. But also that we'll get other types of pets in other packs with other things.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Can't we all just wait and see how it works? Personally, I feel like the pets will be fairly well done, similar to how toddlers were done. I'm not particularly happy about not being able to see their needs, but I'm sure they made a way for the sims to interact with the pets in order to make their needs apparent, similar to how sims interact with toddlers. Frankly, I'm happy they're not controllable, it adds a lot more challenge to the game. And since many of the same people on this forum were complaining about TS4 having a lack of challenge, then pets should add some much needed challenged to the game! The pets are NOT going to be like babies; they are not objects. And I think they will be fairly complex, based upon the number of traits they have. They have far more traits than toddlers have. So, I'm staying optimistic.
    ...And, on a positive note, if they can have non-controllable pets in this expansion, maybe we'll get non-controllable roommates (like in TS2) soon...
  • Options
    GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    edited October 2017
    I think they'll be a downgrade regardless of anything that is said by the Gurus or the community itself. It'll be inevitable, because nearly everything that has happened to this franchise since 2014 has been a downgrade.
    The problem is that they've been trying to reinvent the wheel with everything, when no such thing is needed or wanted.
    Post edited by GrijzePilion on
    Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
    (oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
    i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    I kind of expect more types of small pet. And I definitely hope that we'll be able to do more with them than tap on the glass. But then again, I don't think all our future small pets will come in one pack. Like we'll have a big GP, sure. But also that we'll get other types of pets in other packs with other things.

To be fair to the pets in 1, 2 and 3, small pets were are a lot more than a tap on the glass. So I don't think if the sims 4 do small pets they will be that either.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I think they'll be a downgrade regardless of anything that is said by the Gurus or the community itself. It'll be inevitable, because nearly everything that has happened to this franchise since 2014 has been a downgrade.
    The problem is that they've been trying to reinvent the wheel with everything, when no such thing is needed or wanted.

You don't know that yet, you're just needlessly pessimistic. Toddlers and vampires both ended up better than their predecessors, so why couldn't cats and dogs?
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    In Sims 2 you did not control the pets if I remember right it wasn't until we got Sims 3 that we could.
  • Options
    GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    edited October 2017
    bixters wrote: »

You don't know that yet, you're just needlessly pessimistic. Toddlers and vampires both ended up better than their predecessors, so why couldn't cats and dogs?
    Are you kidding me?

- Pets can't be controlled and their needs are not visible.
    - No dog houses.
    - There are no pet allergies.
    - Pets can only die of old age.
    - There are no pet contests.
    - Pets can't be sold.
    - No pets career.
    - Pets can't be aged up manually.
    - There are about a million different, unnecessary "pet outfits".
    - The pets look worse than they did in TS3 six years ago.

This joke of a pack is going to be a waste of money just like the previous ones have been.
    Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
    (oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
    i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    candy8 wrote: »
    In Sims 2 you did not control the pets if I remember right it wasn't until we got Sims 3 that we could.

You could with a cheat.
  • Options
    YellebYelleb Posts: 156 Member
    Are you kidding me?

- No dog houses.
    - Pets can't be sold.
    - No pets career.

This joke of a pack is going to be a waste of money just like the previous ones have been.
    • Didn't they say in the livestream that pets can be sold? I could have totally misheard, but they were talking about litters of puppies and kittens at one point and I could've sworn I heard them mention that if you don't want to keep the whole litter you can?
    • Pets can't technically be aged up manually, but it's been confirmed by SimGuruSarah on Twitter that you can purchase a treat from the vet to age your pets up or down!
    • I mean, that's 100% subjective and not a fact. I personally think they look way less weird than in TS3.

Not gonna lie, though, I'm a little bummed about there being no doghouses or pet careers. I'm not really bothered by anything else too much, but these two kind of disappoint me.
  • Options
    MaxNekoeMaxNekoe Posts: 12 New Member
    I think it'd be cool if we could choose whether or not if we could control them in like settings or something.
  • Options
    MaxNekoeMaxNekoe Posts: 12 New Member
    it'd be better if we could choose tbh
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited October 2017
    I would have liked to seen a wild raccoon and fox in the neighborhoods that acted more like pests than pets. I know we haven't seen any gameplay yet.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited October 2017
    Yelleb wrote: »
    Are you kidding me?

- No dog houses.
    - Pets can't be sold.
    - No pets career.

• Didn't they say in the livestream that pets can be sold? I could have totally misheard, but they were talking about litters of puppies and kittens at one point and I could've sworn I heard them mention that if you don't want to keep the whole litter you can?
    • Pets can't technically be aged up manually, but it's been confirmed by SimGuruSarah on Twitter that you can purchase a treat from the vet to age your pets up or down!
    • I mean, that's 100% subjective and not a fact. I personally think they look way less weird than in TS3.

Not gonna lie, though, I'm a little bummed about there being no doghouses or pet careers. I'm not really bothered by anything else too much, but these two kind of disappoint me.

Also to add, I think the first one is a plus. :p

I just know that I'm reserving harsh judgment until November 2nd when I see gameplay. (I know that Vet gameplay is coming first, but I've already seen that.) I'm curious to know more about these interactions the gurus keep hinting about.

I was hoping that instead of careers we'd get pet shows back. The obstacle course might be close enough to fill that need.

Anyway, I think the pets will at least have cushions to lie on? If so, you can build a tiny makeshift doghouse and place a pillow inside. That's what I plan to do.
  • Options
    Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    edited October 2017
    bixters wrote: »

It is pessimism, I'll give you that. But I'd hardly call it needless. While those two examples of exceeded expectations that you mentioned were appreciated (and I mean REALLY appreciated). They don't make up for the three years of "one step forward and fifteen steps back" that we've been getting. With that in mind, can you really blame people for being skeptical? This game is the equivalent of those boxes of jellybeans where the flavors range from cherry to used underwear. You have the chance of getting something good, but an even bigger chance of getting something bad....or you manage to get an orange flavored bean, which is neither good nor bad :p
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    edited October 2017
    Wait a dang minute, so If I can not control My Pets, they will run Amuck , and I wont have any say in what they are doing at all ? If that is the case then no I probably will not bother buying the Pet pack then, what a Huge lame let down this is. :(
    This does Not make Me happy at all, I take care of My Fur Babies in Real Life, there is no letting them Run Amuck in My home, they know where they can go in areas of the home, not just go anywhere they please, I do not want My Pets going anywhere I do not want them to be, or doing stupid stuff that others think would be funny when I do not, If EA is making it so I can not train My Pets in My game to do things MY way, then no reason to buy that pack then I guess, and I also Luv the Pets in the Sims 2, can not get enough of them in My sims homes. :)
  • Options
    Wait a dang minute, so If I can not control My Pets, they will run Amuck , and I wont have any say in what they are doing at all ? If that is the case then no I probably will not bother buying the Pet pack then, what a Huge lame let down this is. :(

No, I don't think that is true. I think it has been set up like Sims 1 or Sims 2. You have to train your pet.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »

No, I don't think that is true. I think it has been set up like Sims 1 or Sims 2. You have to train your pet.

If there is Training in there then that is ok, but if there is no way at all to make sure they do what I want them to, then no reason to buy that pack.
  • Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member

If there is Training in there then that is ok, but if there is no way at all to make sure they do what I want them to, then no reason to buy that pack.

When asked about how we would control the pets, the Gurus said it would be the same as how we control our pets in real life. So we can train them and teach them what is and isn't acceptable.
  • Options
    SiMsStoriesSiMsStories Posts: 219 Member

as far as Ik you the player cannot tell them to go here, when to eat, when to pee, sleep etc. Your sims is going to be the one to control their actions. Including where they can and cannot sleep at. So basically third party control I guess, only thing that you should honestly worry about is that the pet can run away from home and have a chance of not coming back or come back and ends up getting pregnant. I honestly hope that this will only trigger if you have been neglecting the animal and not by free will otherwise I am going to have some problems with this game pack. Guess my dog is going to be house dog and stay forever in the house/yard with locked fence and doors. I will not be tolerating my pets running off and have the possibility of not seeing them again... Especially if it's a pet that I made unique like with the CAP paint tool.
    BHv51HO.gif
    Alive - Episode 2: Friends |watch it on| Youtube | Forum | Twitter
  • Options

as far as Ik you the player cannot tell them to go here, when to eat, when to pee, sleep etc. Your sims is going to be the one to control their actions. Including where they can and cannot sleep at. So basically third party control I guess, only thing that you should honestly worry about is that the pet can run away from home and have a chance of not coming back or come back and ends up getting pregnant. I honestly hope that this will only trigger if you have been neglecting the animal and not by free will otherwise I am going to have some problems with this game pack. Guess my dog is going to be house dog and stay forever in the house/yard with locked fence and doors. I will not be tolerating my pets running off and have the possibility of not seeing them again... Especially if it's a pet that I made unique like with the CAP paint tool.

I agree with that.
  • Options
    samlyt22 wrote: »

When asked about how we would control the pets, the Gurus said it would be the same as how we control our pets in real life. So we can train them and teach them what is and isn't acceptable.

Glad to hear that, thanks for the info, cause otherwise I would of not bothered getting that pack then, so I am hoping that is the case.
  • Options

Exactly My feelings bout it, I will have the doors or gates locked so they can not run off then, cause I do not want to lose My pets in My game either.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    In Sims 2 the pets could run away if they had low motives or low relationships with other sims on the lot. Fire could scare them. You could call the police to help find your missing pet, but that didn't always work. In Sims 4 we do not have police and I doubt the detective career is going to be of any use. Having a collar might be helpful. I will have to check the gameplay.
  • Options
    In Sims 2 the pets could run away if they had low motives or low relationships with other sims on the lot. Fire could scare them. You could call the police to help find your missing pet, but that didn't always work. In Sims 4 we do not have police and I doubt the detective career is going to be of any use. Having a collar might be helpful. I will have to check the gameplay.

In the Sims 2 the pet had to have the collar on in order for the police or dog Warden to be able to find them and bring them back home to ya, if they did not have the collar on, then they were gone for good, at least that is what happened to Me in My games.
  • Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    They did say that if your pet runs away you could put out an alert on your phone to get them back. Not sure whether that will always work though. Hopefully it's something within player control, such as only happening if we allow the pet to become unhappy.