Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

They REALLY need to add a step-parent relationship...

So I know they show up in the family tree. But ingame your stepparent is just a roommate living in the same house as you. There is no special relationship flag. And when the kids Age up they can date marry or hook up with said step parent.

Now I know I will get the "you can do that in real life". Comments. But come on this is just sad and creepy.

Comments

• Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    I agree and in todays world it seems very odd that this hasn't been done.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    JasonPogo wrote: »
    So I know they show up in the family tree. But ingame your stepparent is just a roommate living in the same house as you. There is no special relationship flag. And when the kids Age up they can date marry or hook up with said step parent.

Now I know I will get the "you can do that in real life". Comments. But come on this is just sad and creepy.

I don't understand why most of the relationships show up in the family tree over live mode either! However, you technically aren't related to a step sibling or parent so it makes sense that it's a possibility. I have certain storylines that could call for that. I play my game like a soap opera!
  • Options
    LillyPutian0LillyPutian0 Posts: 103 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »

I don't understand why most of the relationships show up in the family tree over live mode either! However, you technically aren't related to a step sibling or parent so it makes sense that it's a possibility. I have certain storylines that could call for that. I play my game like a soap opera!
    It would be nice to have the option. Some stories would call for romantic relationships between step family members, but it would also be nice to acknowledge blended families.

• Options
    Amj1995Amj1995 Posts: 4,068 Member
    I think this would be a nice addition as well as "in-laws".
  • Options
    KismetRoseKismetRose Posts: 302 Member
    At least as an option where you can edit the relationship in the drop down. That way people who want to see that status change, myself included, can while people who prefer to have it the way it's currently set up also have the option.
  • Options
    hannaht413hannaht413 Posts: 95 Member
    Idk if this would affect their adult relationships, but with parenthood (I believe) they can assign other adults in the house as a caregiver which gives them a more parental relationship. It's not exactly step-parent, but it's something.
  • Options
    LillyPutian0LillyPutian0 Posts: 103 Member
    Yeah, I've been using that already. I had a foster situation (because I blended two families) and the foster sister became a sort of care taker to the younger brother. But, nothing indicates what her relationship is to her foster father and his second wife, nor to her foster sister, who was slightly older than she.
  • Options
    mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member

So because you don't like it, it is automatically sad and creepy and no one should be allowed to play that way? Sure, seems fair.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • Options
    haydub07haydub07 Posts: 84 Member
    You would think they would add this, being 2017. They have the different genders thing so why not something as simple as step-parents?
  • Options
    GoldilockGoldilock Posts: 80 Member
    I would like to have both step-parents and godparents in the game.
  • Options
    OtoyoOtoyo Posts: 698 Member
    I too wish it would show case more complicated family relationships. The fact that a person can raise a child, from a child to an adult, as a parent (with all the same love and care) and still be labeled as nothing more than a roommate is very sad, and doesn't give us the chance to show off the more complex family dynamics of real life. I had one sim marry his fiance after she adopted two babies. The children weren't considered his in any way, but he ended up raising them as his own (becoming best friends with the adopted son and not his own flesh and blood younger son), but he was just a roommate in the end. That didn't seem to match as well. The parenthood pack helped a little with making them feel like a family though, but still they were technically roommates.
  • Options
    ValeahValeah Posts: 98 Member
    I agree setting the Step-Parent relationship should at least be an option.
  • Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    Otoyo wrote: »
    I too wish it would show case more complicated family relationships. The fact that a person can raise a child, from a child to an adult, as a parent (with all the same love and care) and still be labeled as nothing more than a roommate is very sad, and doesn't give us the chance to show off the more complex family dynamics of real life. I had one sim marry his fiance after she adopted two babies. The children weren't considered his in any way, but he ended up raising them as his own (becoming best friends with the adopted son and not his own flesh and blood younger son), but he was just a roommate in the end. That didn't seem to match as well. The parenthood pack helped a little with making them feel like a family though, but still they were technically roommates.

I couldn't agree more. It does seem that the characters themselves just lack depth in their interactions. Aside from a few added interactions such as "lecture on responsibility" and "help with homework" , the parent/child or parent/teen relationships are otherwise simply room-mate situations, and as such the roommate dynamic is not a lot deeper than "friends" they have from other households. And, of course, aside from the jealousy reaction to flirty interactions, even spouses don't demonstrate much that is different from friends. And if there is a "flirty spouse" reaction, that being "Very Angry", once that buff times out, the dalliance "never happened". Off the radar.

I don't want to sound picky or unappreciative, though. More depth to each sim is only on my wish list.
  • Options
    KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
  • Options
    aloadaialoadai Posts: 51 Member
    Even if you marry the mother or father to the new sim, it still doesn't change the relationship between the kid and the new parent? They really should include this new relationship.
  • Options
    SimsPlayer1196SimsPlayer1196 Posts: 50 Member
    Yes, in-laws and step-parents are a must!
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Agreed would like to have this too! :/
  • Options
    GamerGirl_12GamerGirl_12 Posts: 9 New Member
    It does actually step mother and father are there so are half siblings
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Given that blended families are so common these days it's pretty sad that a step parent is not recognised formally. It's weird that my sim who has been brought up by her step dad since birth can grow up and form a romantic relationship with him.

It's even stranger that in laws are not recognised and again darn right creepy that in laws can hit on their son and daughters in law (and occasionally autonomously do) and yes I know that can happen in real life but I shouldn't have to watch my sims in laws and children in law to make sure there isn't anything inappropriate going on.

The sims 2 and the sims 3 managed this feature fine, it boggles my mind that the latest game cannot do this.
  • Options
    SimsPlayer1196SimsPlayer1196 Posts: 50 Member
    Yes, they really need to add in step-parents. It would also be cool if you could set step-parent, and other relationships (like aunt, uncle, etc.) in CAS!
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    or another option the best one for me is keep sim single parent no roomate at all
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I wish we had step-parents, it would make it so much easier to move two households together. At least that it was something that we could set ourselves. It is sad when a sim raises a child and isn't recognized.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,236 Member
    edited September 2017
    @JasonPogo

In GP05 Parenthood, the stepparent can become a legal guardian of their spouse's children ("Adopt as Care Dependent").

Later the adult (dependent child) will remember the parental role of the guardian/stepparent.

ts4-2010.png

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    TaktischeMPTaktischeMP Posts: 34 Member
    I have a young adult that when I went to introduce her child to her grandparents, her kid was not recognized as family to them. It was on family tree but not under relationship or any special interaction. Apparently, grandparents is as far as it goes. It was quite a bummer. I understand great great great grandpa could get a bit ridiculous, but it should at least have one 'great' since that would be the latest on the timeline playable together.
  • Options
    HarlowandMeHarlowandMe Posts: 231 Member
    yeah they really do need to add it in