Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Fringe

Comments

• Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @MadameLee: or try to buy light or have someone from the program help you carry them. I get low motor skills because I'm in a similar boat. I go with buying light usually.

@mastressalita: sorry about your bird. :( My dog is very old too and he's been waking up at odd hours of the night to pace (or poop of course).
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    @mastressalita Sorry to hear about your bird stress! I'm not sure what could settle him. I had a hamster that was prone to panicking at night and had to put a towel over his cage so he couldn't see anything to be scared of. After a while he grew used to the dark and stopped being scared by everything.

@Rainydayz179 Love the new avatar!

D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    @Karilan That sounds like a good way to deal with a frightened hamster. :)

@mastressalita Poor bird! I hope it'll get better.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    Karilan wrote: »
    @Rainydayz179 Love the new avatar!

Thank you! :)
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    here's a riddle
    I'm watching an OLD TV series
    which has to do with space and it's not Doctor Who so what is it?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    Not sure if you're still on the baseball question @MadameLee but most stadiums have vendors who go up and down the stairs selling food and drinks. It's usually thinks like hot dogs, pretzels, cotton candy, peanuts, you know that sort of thing. Usually they have beer and water/soda vendors too. The only thing with them is they only take cash.
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    It's my three-year blogaversary!

Also... I'm guessing that it's also some of your three-year blogaversaries? I know many of us started in Sept. 2014.

Anyway... I've been thinking about the Simming communities and how some corners don't feel safe... because that's been on my mind and in my heart, that's what I wrote about in my blogaversary post. It's not exactly a celebration, but it is a resolution! Three-Year Blogaversary: Reslience, Gifts, and Not-Quitting
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Lovely post @CathyTea

I'm still pretty new to the forums, and while I haven't experienced or witnessed any direct bullying, I've seen evidence of it on people's blots and through comment sections. It's an unfortunately and entirely unnecessary thing to happen, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I'm so grateful for the people I've bonded with on the forums so far and hope I can continue. <3
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    That was great @CathyTea :) I had a really terrible Simlit-related cyberbullying experience a few months ago. It was so bad that I took a hiatus from my story for several weeks to re-group. And there was a time when I was considering not coming back. It was my wonderful friends in this community who helped me through it and without them, I'm not sure if I'd still be here/be writing.

Your post helped me feel like I'm not alone :):heart:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    That was great @CathyTea :) I had a really terrible Simlit-related cyberbullying experience a few months ago. It was so bad that I took a hiatus from my story for several weeks to re-group. And there was a time when I was considering not coming back. It was my wonderful friends in this community who helped me through it and without them, I'm not sure if I'd still be here/be writing.

I believe I just read the point where you took a hiatus, and I for one am very glad you resumed writing!! <3
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options

I'm so sorry, Citizen. The pattern seems to be that it's the most popular ones who get attacked the hardest. I'm really sorry you had to experience this. It's so pointless.

I'm not entirely sure what can be done to prevent it. I was hoping that by talking about it openly it could defuse it a bit--I think that's what prompted my post. I just hate seeing people get hurt needlessly.

I actually created this thread, "The Fringe," as an attempt to build a safer place. I even considered putting in the guidelines on the first page something like, "By taking part in this thread, you agree to treat everyone here like a friend: which includes not talking about them in negative ways on sites or forums that promote cyberbullying."

I really feel we need a place where we can feel safer.

I hope that your hurtful experience has quieted down and that you're rebuilding confidence. It's hard not to take it personally, when it seems and feels like a personal attack: But really--it's all about ratings, and not really about you (about who you are) at all. Those who are popular or have a certain amount of influence make targets that draw ratings.

The best way to defuse it would be for people simply to stop going to that site or others like it.

I'm really glad you've stayed with your writing! I hope you know how loved you are by your readers! And you are not alone!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Thank you @CathyTea :) (And @Karilan too! :heart:)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

I'm so sorry, Citizen. The pattern seems to be that it's the most popular ones who get attacked the hardest. I'm really sorry you had to experience this. It's so pointless.

I'm not entirely sure what can be done to prevent it. I was hoping that by talking about it openly it could defuse it a bit--I think that's what prompted my post. I just hate seeing people get hurt needlessly.

I actually created this thread, "The Fringe," as an attempt to build a safer place. I even considered putting in the guidelines on the first page something like, "By taking part in this thread, you agree to treat everyone here like a friend: which includes not talking about them in negative ways on sites or forums that promote cyberbullying."

I really feel we need a place where we can feel safer.

I hope that your hurtful experience has quieted down and that you're rebuilding confidence. It's hard not to take it personally, when it seems and feels like a personal attack: But really--it's all about ratings, and not really about you (about who you are) at all. Those who are popular or have a certain amount of influence make targets that draw ratings.

The best way to defuse it would be for people simply to stop going to that site or others like it.

I'm really glad you've stayed with your writing! I hope you know how loved you are by your readers! And you are not alone!

i'm glad she stuck with it too shes who i turn to to get emotions right. because i'm still learning that.
  • Options
    @friendsfan367 Wait... I thought I was learning emotions from you! :)

• Options
    mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    edited September 2017
    That was a beautiful article, @CathyTea .

My heart goes out to @CathyTea , @CitizenErased14 , and anyone else that has gone through this sort of thing simply from being a part of this community. I've been added to that list recently, which is why my activities in "Sim places" has dropped significantly lately. I'm still working on my projects, but I've also felt the need to withdraw a bit as a result of what happened.

While I don't really feel comfortable talking at ease yet about what happened, I will say that I very firmly wanted to hide it -- especially from the Simming community. I'd become depressed and withdrawn of recent, and told a few friends, and was told I "shouldn't be upset about what happened" or I should just "brush it off" or "toughen up; it's the Internet!" It wasn't until I privately told a trusted friend in the Simmer community about what had happened and how it had affected me, and found out that friend had gone through the same thing, and was told how important it was that my feelings be validated, that I was able to finally start the process of healing. So if this happens to anyone else... don't be an idi*t and do what I did. It really will just make it worse, trust me!

I wear my Kindness Warrior badge proudly, and if anyone in a situation like that ever needs someone to talk to, don't feel afraid to message me.

For the record, I have certain sites that promote cyberbullying in the community actively blocked in the Windows hosts file on my computer. That way, even a link that seems innocent can't accidentally send me there. My browser simply won't display anything from said site. It may not stop the hate from happening, but at least I can take an active part in filtering it from my system.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • Options
    @mastressalita Thank you! I was super afraid to write it... my inner critic kept saying things like "But it's such a downer! And what if people don't even know about that site--now they will!" And of course, I knew that by making that post, I'd be making myself more of a target...

I think that's what gave me the courage to post it, actually! That, and I did a few oracle card readings that gave me all sort of POWER MESSAGES! Yes!

Plus, I truly do believe that kindness is strong... and I also really, really wanted anyone who'd felt attacked and who'd felt shamed to know that there is no shame in this--there is nothing the person who's attacked has done to bring this on. It's violence, pure and simple.

I really don't want anyone who's felt attacked to feel alone--and I also feel that we can form a network of strength and support. We really can create an encouraging and supportive community, and safer places.

Keeping quiet isn't always the answer--sometimes we need to speak up and call people out when they're engaging in hate.

• Options

well i got the emotions right in that pta chapter from last time. the only argument we ever had. thats when i learned about passionate readers
  • Options

i learn from Amanda and you learn from me.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Mom and I are always talking (due to the fact Ontario's Mimium wage for servers and anything (but bartenders) is going to go up to $15 next year and people are having a cow about how that will be bad for the ecomeny, yet places like Denmark, Sweden, and Norway had good wages for years. That always bring me to saying about movies like "I, Robot" where everyone has a robot-how are people suppose to afford a robot if there's no jobs? Basically at some point everyone except for police officers (if I Robot is any proof) will be on welfare. Mom says my question is "How can people afford the humanoid robot if there's no jobs" is like me being the little kid from the Emperor's New Clothes.

When that happens (everyone on welfare)-either one of 2 things will happen-more enlighten folks like Mussels, and me (or our descendants)-will start to revolt OR the AI Humoid robots will start to turn on us.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    AsaoyoruAsaoyoru Posts: 247 Member
    @mastressalita Thank you so much for this post! I'm so sorry that you have dealt with such hateful messages in the past, but I'm also very proud of you for powering through it and being vocal about it. I've already said this in @CathyTea's post, but being validated is extremely important for healing! I was bullied in RL for years and years and then it shifted over to cyber-bullying gradually. I've lost nearly all my online friends through it and actually came to the Sim community because of it :) I'm glad I did! Sorry for sharing this stuff. Just ... there are a lot of people that will tell you what you feel is not valid and that you shouldn't feel that way, that you are the reason for it. But it is valid and you are not the reason for it! Even if you are not the nicest person on the planet, nobody should feel the need to bring you pain just because they can. So many people in this community are just genuinely nice and kind-hearted and it hurts me to see them treated badly.
    I'm totally with you on this: If someone ever needs to talk about this stuff, please feel free to message me, even if I don't know you. On PM, Discord, whatever feels good to you. It's real and it is stressful. And oftentimes you do need help or someone to say that it's okay to feel hurt.

I apologize for rolling the topic out again. I'm going to stop now.

On a funnier note ... I'm 22 and I honestly had no idea what Discord was and that it existed until a friend of mine told me about it. I registered and put a Sim-Avatar on there just to discover that said friend also plays The Sims and we totally bonded! I still feel old, though. All those youngsters with their new technology! ;)
  • Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    I'm sad that so many wonderful people have to face bullying, online or offline. But I'm glad you guys haven't given up and that you can instead use your experiences to encourage others to be kind and to not give up. You're awesome. And I'm glad we have places here that are safe and welcoming and friendly. :)
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    @RipuAncestor I agree. It's nice that we have somewhere we can feel safe.

Thought I'd post this here since @CathyTea reminded me that I missed my blogiversary and I wanted to do a reader poll while I was at it...

Belated Blogiversary & Reader Poll

09-05-17_2-21-37c2a0pm.jpg?w=460&h=260&crop=1
  • Options
    swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    I had a question I thought might be interesting. Do non simmers read your stories, maybe family or friends who have never played a game of sims in their lives? If so what do they think of the idea of writing stories using this game as the platform?
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    swcheppes wrote: »
    I had a question I thought might be interesting. Do non simmers read your stories, maybe family or friends who have never played a game of sims in their lives? If so what do they think of the idea of writing stories using this game as the platform?

I have a friend from Second Life that reads my blog. She reads everything I write, it's really sweet. She really enjoys it but then again, she's already familiar with gaming... but in SL you only control your own avatar so I think sometimes that part confuses her, lol. My little niece used to read it too. Some of my first posts I have extra notes for Marley in them. As far as I know, she doesn't anymore but I think she still plays.
  • Options
    @swcheppes my Cousin Liz read until Gen 5 and thought it was good
    6adMCGP.gif