We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Fringe

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,084 Member
    @Karilan I've really been enjoying your writing burst! I'm so into Brooke as a narrator! :)

@friendsfan367 Happy birthday! :)

friends02.png?ssl=1&w=450
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,738 Member
    edited August 2017
    I'm watching "live" covers of the "Jekyll-hyde" song from Arthur show.

I also hope my cake tastes good that I made and baked today I wouldn't ice it till Monday
    6adMCGP.gif
    I still have no idea how to bring the cake I made Thursday home tomorrow I can't tell Dad about it since he would have a fit
    6adMCGP.gif
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I still have no idea how to bring the cake I made Thursday home tomorrow I can't tell Dad about it since he would have a fit

Can you ask someone there for help and advice ?

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    CathyTea wrote: »

Can you ask someone there for help and advice ?

Nope-since tomorrow is my only chance to bring it home since we will be at (park) on Thursday. There's are rules (w/ exceptions) about people driving Clients. It's not like I can borrow Mom's bundy buggy or anything because it would be suspious (that's why I had to buy stuff at the store last week) it would be quite awkward holding a cake 25mins home especially when I might have to wait for the bus for awhile.
    6adMCGP.gif
    I brought home the cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    6adMCGP.gif
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    how and what did your dad say? you don't have to answer the second question just being nosey.
    how and what did your dad say? you don't have to answer the second question just being nosey.

@friendsfan367 Dad doesn't know yet..he isn't home. Mom will tell him later not to buy a cake for our b-day celeberation (probably on Sunday due to family gettogher on Saturday)
    6adMCGP.gif

@friendsfan367 Dad doesn't know yet..he isn't home. Mom will tell him later not to buy a cake for our b-day celeberation (probably on Sunday due to family gettogher on Saturday)

was your mom suprised? i forgot to ask.

was your mom suprised? i forgot to ask.

Yeah!! she was she hasn't seen the cake pyschially-sp? but seen the cake pan (covered in foil) and my letter.
    6adMCGP.gif
    @friendsfan367 Dad thought the whole thing was "cute"..that I made a cake.
    6adMCGP.gif

is that good or bad?

is that good or bad?

good
    6adMCGP.gif

is that good or bad?

good

Way to go, @MadameLee ! So happy you pulled off that big surprise! That's really lovely!

• KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Hi guys and gals! I need some writing advice regarding writing perspective. While my writing is my own, I do aim to challenge myself with the writing and I long to entertain others, so the preference of my readers is important to me.

At the moment I have 2 stories on the go:
    -My Grace legacy is written first-person, but not quite diary style. I try to write it as if it's the thoughts of the character as life is happening to them, so they never know the future or the outcome of what they do.
    -Pine Point is going to shift frequently, but predominantly be a first-person diary style, where the character tells the events as they happened earlier, but still with their thoughts and emotions.

I'm working on the Glassbolt Apocalypse challenge and I'm struggling to pick a perspective.
    Since this is going to be a legacy about as long as my Grace one, I don't think I want to dive into the every day life aspect as much as I do with Grace. This legacy will jump time more often and move quicker in general. I don't usually like using completely third-person because you lose out on the inner thoughts of the Sim. I've begun writing it as a third person narrative with conversations, but I'm not happy with it. It comes across as rather dry with the lack of inner thoughts. I'm considering doing it first-person diary style and perhaps including several entries per blog post to cover the passage of time.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
    @Karilan One idea, simply to allow for stretching the writing muscles, is to write in third person limited. That way, you could still present the perspective character's inner states and thoughts.

I also like the idea of interspersing first-person diaries/letters with third person limited. @AudreyFld does that with her "Escape from Nowhere," using the pen pal project to provide the first-person view and voice from three of her characters, while the story itself is written in third-person limited from the perspective of, usually, two alternating characters, with sometimes a third or fourth.

Of course, the real answer is to write whichever approach inspires you and makes you feel excited to write!

@CathyTea I hadn't considered using alternating characters, which could work really well for this challenge. At first I felt I somewhat pigeonholed myself with the Grace story line by sticking with one character, but I'm also using it to further the plot as you never know what other characters are thinking or doing.

Third person limited would definitely be a challenge, but I won't rule it out.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • ny275ny275 Posts: 261 Member
    Hey everyone! How are you all today?
    Today has been great for me so far. I had a wonderful birthday breakfast and have spent the rest of the day reading and journaling.

Over the past couple of days in my reading circle, we've been talking about screenshots and having enough space on your blog. I've found the discussion great considering I am planning on starting up and sharing a few more projects in the next few weeks! :)

I've also been wanting to get an actual pen pal where we could hand write letters to each other. I think that would be lovely! I love writing by hand (even though I don't have the best penmanship) and seeing everyone's handwriting recently has really made the desire for a pen pal burn brighter.

Do any of you have real life pen pals? Any advice on how I could get into it?
    ny275 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! How are you all today?
    Today has been great for me so far. I had a wonderful birthday breakfast and have spent the rest of the day reading and journaling.

Over the past couple of days in my reading circle, we've been talking about screenshots and having enough space on your blog. I've found the discussion great considering I am planning on starting up and sharing a few more projects in the next few weeks! :)

I've also been wanting to get an actual pen pal where we could hand write letters to each other. I think that would be lovely! I love writing by hand (even though I don't have the best penmanship) and seeing everyone's handwriting recently has really made the desire for a pen pal burn brighter.

Do any of you have real life pen pals? Any advice on how I could get into it?

I used to have pen pals in school, but those were arranged by the school where we all wrote letters and exchanged them with a class in another country. I miss it, and actually had an idea a few weeks ago to write anonymous pen pal letters and mail them to a few libraries around the world. I figured that would be the best place to find someone who might be willing to write letters? Next week I'll be sending out the letters, so I'll let you know if I get any responses!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    Happy birthday, @ny275 ! :) For some reason, I feel so excited that it's your birthday! Maybe because you're one of my favorite people and writers! <3 I think you're awesome!

ny2.png

As for space on blogs... Know what I do? I have lots of blogs... one of them is for a text-only story, so it has TONS of storage space, so I just upload all my screenshots there and then I grab the code for the images and copy it over to my main blog! It's been working really, really well!

When I first started writing again, I read that wordpress doesn't have a lot of free space for photos, so I use imgr for my screenshots instead since the space is unlimited.

Do you store all your screenshots on your blog's storage space?
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    Karilan wrote: »
    When I first started writing again, I read that wordpress doesn't have a lot of free space for photos, so I use imgr for my screenshots instead since the space is unlimited.

I do... my Goofy Love blog storage space is up to 95% capacity! :o So that's why I switched to my ts4fanfic blog, which is now at about 33% capacity. But I've got lots others when that one fills up!

• MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    @ny275 First off, happy birthday!!!

Second, there's a great website that pairs up folks for pen pals! It's called the International Geek Girl Pen Pal Club! I signed up several years ago and matched with someone in the U.K. It's for all genders and all ages and you should totally check it out!

@CathyTea You make me want to write Ikeda fan fiction, LOL! I love stories without pictures, too. <3
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
    Karilan wrote: »

I do... my Goofy Love blog storage space is up to 95% capacity! :o So that's why I switched to my ts4fanfic blog, which is now at about 33% capacity. But I've got lots others when that one fills up!

shes a idea machine. sometimes i come home from work and she has two or three new ideas.but i love her.
    Happy birthday, @ny275 ! :) For some reason, I feel so excited that it's your birthday! Maybe because you're one of my favorite people and writers! <3 I think you're awesome!

ny2.png

As for space on blogs... Know what I do? I have lots of blogs... one of them is for a text-only story, so it has TONS of storage space, so I just upload all my screenshots there and then I grab the code for the images and copy it over to my main blog! It's been working really, really well!

happy birthday. i always quote sis cards because their pretty.