Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

well that's fun

aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
My MAC that I've had for a gazillion years finally decided to crash just now (in the middle of my game play) and went into the netherworld of the computers of the past. I can not boot it up. I think it's officially dead. Luckily I have saved my CC files but everything else is gone. I don't mind starting a new family over but I'm more bummed I have to create my whole world again...that's the crummy part.

However, I can't do anything without a new gaming computer. I will upload the picture of one I found. I figured I should go with a PC since i'm buying a computer primarily for playing the Sims. Can someone tell me if this is a good option? I'm so bad at computer specs and everything. In case the pic doesn't come up it's a:

Dell quad-core Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB of DDR4 RAM and NIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics card. 1 TB Harddrive.

Comments

• Options
    PeachynesssPeachynesss Posts: 57 Member
    Yes, that's fine for playing Sims!
    319a2d108b51035bcdd43edc37866094.gif

Origin ID: Peachynesss
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited August 2017
    I was told it has to be i7

edit: also ask this in the technical section, a lot more competent help over there.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    Keeping in mind I will be getting PETS in November...not sure if that changes things with the specs.
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    As long as it's not a laptop an i5 should be fine. I'd aim for an i7, even on desktop, but an i5 desktop should be fine. Laptop, you need at least an i7 for them.
  • Options
    Simpkin wrote: »
    I was told it has to be i7

edit: also ask this in the technical section, a lot more competent help over there.

i5 is just fine. There are different types of i5 and i7. Some i5's can be better than some i7's for example. But I know that i5 with quad core is great most of the time (dual core isn't as good). I have i5 quad core too and it runs perfectly on high settings. The Nvidia card helps a lot too.

• Options
    Ask in that section. That's how I bought my new laptop this year. Only concidering the suggestions of the people on this forum since I only play the sims and don't need anything special for anything else I do on my computer.
  • Options
    Oh I bought a laptop maybe that's why i7 was recommended :)
  • Options
    DivieOwl wrote: »
    As long as it's not a laptop an i5 should be fine. I'd aim for an i7, even on desktop, but an i5 desktop should be fine. Laptop, you need at least an i7 for them.

Not true, my laptop has intel i5-6300HQ and a Nvidia graphics card, and like I said it runs perfectly on high settings. It's not just the i5/i7, there are a lot more things to it. Like the graphics card, if you have SSD or not, your RAM, etc.

• Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    My MAC that I've had for a gazillion years finally decided to crash just now (in the middle of my game play) and went into the netherworld of the computers of the past. I can not boot it up. I think it's officially dead. Luckily I have saved my CC files but everything else is gone. I don't mind starting a new family over but I'm more bummed I have to create my whole world again...that's the crummy part.

However, I can't do anything without a new gaming computer. I will upload the picture of one I found. I figured I should go with a PC since i'm buying a computer primarily for playing the Sims. Can someone tell me if this is a good option? I'm so bad at computer specs and everything. In case the pic doesn't come up it's a:

Dell quad-core Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB of DDR4 RAM and NIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics card. 1 TB Harddrive.

Dell Alienware gaming one with an SSD will be best
  • Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    I suppose it depends on what you want out of the game but either way that system can definitely run TS4.
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    As long as your Windows OS is 64 bit, which is what is needed for Pets.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member

@DivieOwl will pets work on a laptop? My game runs quite well with some glitches, not too many. It's not fancy either. I can't get a new computer for another few years.
  • Options
    FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    edited August 2017

@DivieOwl will pets work on a laptop? My game runs quite well with some glitches, not too many. It's not fancy either. I can't get a new computer for another few years.

I'd highly doubt that one added EP would immediately break the game for you. I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Like @Peachynesss said, just i5/i7 really doesn't say that much. There's much more things to be considered. A friend of mine has an i5 processor that easily runs the Sims 4 on high settings; my sister's laptop has an i5 processor that barely plays it on low settings. Besides the importance of the graphics card, of course, there's so many other things. I didn't get a great look at my sister's laptop's specs and besides the i5 bit I don't know anything about my friend's laptop's specs, but I know my sister's laptop has a processor speed of only 1.7 GHz. My laptop has a sucky AMD processor, but it has quite a bit more GHz and can (though it doesn't run ideally and I definitely would not recommend it) run the game on high settings. So I'd really take the processor speed in account too. I've been told on this forum that it really matters!

Edit: I've also been looking at gaming computers and laptops lately, and I've noticed that one of the advantages of desktops is that they generally have a higher processor speed. So I'm pretty sure that that desktop's i5 processor will (easily) be able to handle the game!
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member

It greatly depends on the specs. A patch can do in an underpowered laptop (or desktop), so, yes, it is entirely possible for an EP that predicts to be as heavy as a pets EP (considering the recommended specs got increased with) can break the game for you. @phoebebebe13 is very knowledgeable about computers and what they can and can't handle. She's explain it better, I'm sure.
  • Options
    Well I just got back from Best Buy and bought:

Dell Laptop
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ Processor
    256GB SSD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti with 4GB

I have two weeks to return it if Sims doesn't run well. Just downloaded Origin and now downloading Sims. I have every EP, SP, and GP...so this may take a REALLY long time. It says 19 hours right now. haha!
  • Options

It greatly depends on the specs. A patch can do in an underpowered laptop (or desktop), so, yes, it is entirely possible for an EP that predicts to be as heavy as a pets EP (considering the recommended specs got increased with) can break the game for you. @phoebebebe13 is very knowledgeable about computers and what they can and can't handle. She's explain it better, I'm sure.

Well, given the fact that she states her game runs quite well, I really doubt the game would break with one EP. For that to happen, I'm sure she should already be having problems running the game smoothly.

fgQIHTb.png
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

Well, given the fact that she states her game runs quite well, I really doubt the game would break with one EP. For that to happen, I'm sure she should already be having problems running the game smoothly.

Never doubt anything when it comes to Pets. Many a game that was running quite well suddenly broke when TS3 Pets was released. Pets always pushes the boundaries of the game.
  • Options
    gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member

I'd highly doubt that one added EP would immediately break the game for you. I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Like @Peachynesss said, just i5/i7 really doesn't say that much. There's much more things to be considered. A friend of mine has an i5 processor that easily runs the Sims 4 on high settings; my sister's laptop has an i5 processor that barely plays it on low settings. Besides the importance of the graphics card, of course, there's so many other things. I didn't get a great look at my sister's laptop's specs and besides the i5 bit I don't know anything about my friend's laptop's specs, but I know my sister's laptop has a processor speed of only 1.7 GHz. My laptop has a sucky AMD processor, but it has quite a bit more GHz and can (though it doesn't run ideally and I definitely would not recommend it) run the game on high settings. So I'd really take the processor speed in account too. I've been told on this forum that it really matters!

Edit: I've also been looking at gaming computers and laptops lately, and I've noticed that one of the advantages of desktops is that they generally have a higher processor speed. So I'm pretty sure that that desktop's i5 processor will (easily) be able to handle the game!

Ok! I'm not sure of specs, it was a gift about a year and a half ago, so I'll see if I can track them down. I do play my game on low (actually custom, but with mirror reflections).
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

Not true, my laptop has intel i5-6300HQ and a Nvidia graphics card, and like I said it runs perfectly on high settings. It's not just the i5/i7, there are a lot more things to it. Like the graphics card, if you have SSD or not, your RAM, etc.

The game is not complete. You may not be able to play on high when it's done. I don't know what their adding so that is anybody's guess. The game does require an i5 quad on desktop. Laptop hardware is weaker than desktop so i7 quad core on laptop is preferred. This game is processor heavy. Since you have an i5 new skylake quad core laptop processor it should do ok but the i7 on laptop would be better.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Well I just got back from Best Buy and bought:

Dell Laptop
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ Processor
    256GB SSD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti with 4GB

I have two weeks to return it if Sims doesn't run well. Just downloaded Origin and now downloading Sims. I have every EP, SP, and GP...so this may take a REALLY long time. It says 19 hours right now. haha!

That has a very small hard drive you may have problems. You should have at least 500 gb hard drive space. You only have 256 gb total hard drive space. I would return it and get yourself something with a bigger hard drive.

I gave this info to someone else but Ill give you same info

You can't upgrade a laptop's processor and video card you are stuck with the specs you buy. Laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. This game requires a mid range gaming desktop. If you play on laptop you need to make sure that laptop has specs equal to the recommended requirements on desktop. THiis is so you survie the whole game and with add ons. If you laptop is under requirements it may not survive the game and all the add ons. You would then need to buy a new computer to continue playing . We have already been seeing people that can no longer run the game because their computer does not meet requirements. The new pets patch has done some people in. I suspect there will be allot more when this ep comes out . The more you add to this game ( patches, packs, eps, gp) the more demanding the game becomes.

Since laptops can get outdated quickly I suggest buying one with the newest hardware available at the time you buy. Laptops that have hardware that meets requirements for this game run around average $800-900 USD and up. Prices can change. Prices could be higher in other countries etc

Laptop specs that equal requirements on desktop

Video card Nvidia GTX 960m, 970m ,1050, 1050 ti, or 1060

Processor intel i7 quad core which will end in HQ or MQ after the process number

8gb computer ram

windows 64 bit

at least a 500gb hard drive space.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Man you guys act like people have all the money in the world. :p I only wish I had. Like I said, I play the game on a very strong, solid 3-year-old laptop. When I bought it I was looking for lots of space, so I got me one that has 1TB hard drive space and a working memory of 12GB. I'm still surprised by how fast it runs. It starts up in seconds. It can load my two browsers with 20+ tabs (I'm not exaggerating here) simultaneously in seconds. But it doesn't have the best processor or video card. It isn't a gaming laptop. And yet I still play the game on high settings, and it runs smoothly overall. My mother bought this laptop for me for my study so I don't know how expensive it was, but it couldn't have been more than 500 euros. I expect that it will have more trouble with pets as I did see that the minimum requirements are slowly but surely coming dangerously close to my maximum processor speed, but I have faith that it will still run the game. And this is not a gaming laptop. Not even close. So I think that many people on here who do have gaming laptops or, better yet, computers, will be fine. I do agree that your new laptop doesn't have a whole lot of hard drive space. But that processor and especially that graphics card is strong.

I'm just being realistic here. I expect that much like myself, many people on here only play The Sims. So in my opinion, it would be ridiculous to pay more than a 1000 euros for a computer just to play one game. If you are a gamer, then I'd obviously recommend the best of the best. But I would like my computer to still be affordable, and I know many people do too. So I'd say that if you can get an i7 processor for a reasonable price, then definitely go for it, and also try to look for these processors by filtering them out on websites. But if they're just too expensive, then that doesn't necessarily have to mean you won't be able to play TS4 in due time. If that were to happen, it would lose EA a whole lot of the game's audience! :sweat_smile:

@aaronrulz How much GB RAM does your new laptop have? Because you may want to keep in mind that RAM requirements could (could it?) also go up with new packs coming, and if your computer doesn't have enough RAM its performance will decrease drastically.

N.B. @gummybear0724 You might want to take a look at your specs after all. When I typed that bit I hadn't looked at the minimum requirements for the Pets EP yet. The minimum processor speed is now 1.8 GHz. My sister's laptop was able to run TS4 but her laptop has a processor speed of only 1.7 GHz, which would mean that she can't play Pets.

fgQIHTb.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @lottevdbrug EA has certain requirements for this game. It's their requirements. They put it out there for a reason @luthienrising and I both help in tech every day. The last thing we want is for any players to fall behind or tell people they have to buy a new computer or stop playing. We have already had to tell a few people they need a new computer. The bottom line gaming is an expensive hobby. Gaming has certain requirements. If you computer can handle the ep and all the add ons you have nothing to worry about. EA has upped the computer specs for the new ep http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/923631/changes-to-minimum-requirements-for-cats-dogs-expansion-pack#latest

• Options
    Thanks all. Well so far so good. I was able to play the game flawlessly....although it did crash once. That made me nervous but maybe a fluke because I rebooted and worked fine from there. But this is before I have put all my CC and Mods back in the game. But it's amazing how much faster the loading screens are and how much faster it is to place a house from the gallery.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Thanks all. Well so far so good. I was able to play the game flawlessly....although it did crash once. That made me nervous but maybe a fluke because I rebooted and worked fine from there. But this is before I have put all my CC and Mods back in the game. But it's amazing how much faster the loading screens are and how much faster it is to place a house from the gallery.

Did you understand my message that you may not have enough hard drive space. This computer you bought only has 256 gb hard drive space total. This will be an issue if your using this computer for other things besides this game . Just giving you a heads up. The rest of the computer specs are fine
  • Options

Did you understand my message that you may not have enough hard drive space. This computer you bought only has 256 gb hard drive space total. This will be an issue if your using this computer for other things besides this game . Just giving you a heads up. The rest of the computer specs are fine

I use this computer for ONLY the Sims. Nothing else. I bought it exclusively for the sims. I have another computer I use for everything else.