Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Nursing Home - An Elders Soloution

February11February11 Posts: 12,660 Member
I woke up with a brainwave this morning. I have elders issues, they get in the way of the youngest generation, and are becoming too hard to control.
I'm going to build a luxury nursing home, put them in there, then take off the door so they can't get out, and then when they die, I'll put the door back on so the relatives can go get the urn and place it in the graveyard.
That'll keep them out of the way and they'll have a nice place to live out their lives, and I'll know where they are :)
MLgj4Vx.png
Post edited by February11 on

Comments

• Options
    FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    But you can place only 8 sims in 1 household. I was thinking to do the same thing before I found MCCC mod. No more problems with elders after installing this mod.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of mods so don't use them.
    I couldn't handle 8 Sims in one house, it's hard enough trying to keep 5 of them under control, so I figure moving the oldies out, I can concentrate on mum dad and the kid (I have a one child per couple policy too! More than that run me ragged!)
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    February11 wrote: »
    I couldn't handle 8 Sims in one house, it's hard enough trying to keep 5 of them under control, so I figure moving the oldies out, I can concentrate on mum dad and the kid (I have a one child per couple policy too! More than that run me ragged!)

I think Feisbukaite meant that you could only have 8 elders in the household that you are moving the elders to. But with them dying every now and then it probably won't be a problem.

Also, you will not have an urn when they die, unless you are present on the lot when they go, so you'll need to go visit them quite a bit if you want to catch that. You'll have to put the door back on to visit, haha.

I have a retirement home household in one of my Saves. I even have fake volunteering where I take other families to visit, play instruments and sing for them, make a meal, help garden, etc. My household does have doors. I didn't really see any reason I needed to keep them there. I'm not even sure they'll stay home when you rotate away from the lot even if there are no doors. Some of mine have died on community lots. That only happens when the community lot is active, which means I'm on it with another Sim from that Save. I get the urn and take it to my cemetery, then. That actually works better than trying to catch it at the retirement home, because I can do whatever I need to do at the community lot instead of just waiting around at the retirement home if I don't want to volunteer. I just invite them out if I think they're about ready to go, for one last outing. :sweat_smile:

I actually have a YA Sim who has sort of a lunch club with some elder ladies. She's introduced them to each other, and they go out just to let the older single or widowed ladies have a nice outing. A couple of them have died before or after the meal, like a restaurant outing is prone to bring on for some reason. But I've just added a couple more. :blush:

I do wish the game would notify you when a friend or relative that's not in your household was about to die.
  • Options
    Kilov17Kilov17 Posts: 1,795 Member
    I do wish the game would notify you when a friend or relative that's not in your household was about to die.

A Sims 3 feature! :smiley:

Kilov17 (Gallery ID: SimOppresser)
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    But you can place only 8 sims in 1 household. I was thinking to do the same thing before I found MCCC mod. No more problems with elders after installing this mod.

There is also a mod to have up to 25 sims in a household.
    I woke up with a brainwave this morning. I have elders issues, they get in the way of the youngest generation, and are becoming too hard to control.
    I'm going to build a luxury nursing home, put them in there, then take off the door so they can't get out, and then when they die, I'll put the door back on so the relatives can go get the urn and place it in the graveyard.
    That'll keep them out of the way and they'll have a nice place to live out their lives, and I'll know where they are :)

I made a home for elders when the game first came out, don't remember if I uploaded it to the community gallery or not.
  • Options
    FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member

It's good idea if you have 8 or less elders that need to be moved out. But if you have more, then you have to waste more lots for the nursing homes. I had more elders, that's why mccc mod is useful for me. I have over 200 sims in my game, all unplayed sims are set to age.
  • Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    If you're not playing that household, they will escape the lot regardless of doors and wander around. I learned this while keeping Jacques prisoner in my basement.
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    KismetRoseKismetRose Posts: 302 Member
    edited August 2017
    I thought she/he meant they'll make the extra building on the home lot and just contain them in the extra building with no doors. That way they don't have to control them because they can run on free will, and they can also collect the urn when they die. Or I might be very wrong :D
  • Options
    Hmmm, thanks for all your input, looks like I'm going to have to rethink this.
    The home would only be for current family elders (2)
    So, the urns will still disappear, and they can still escape, yeah?
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options

Correct. I know for sure that the lot where the death takes place has to be active to even have an urn appear. Sounds like other players have had them leave when you rotate away from the lot as well even if there are no doors. Is there some reason you don't want them to leave? The only community lots they will visit are will be ones where you are playing with other Sims. You will know they are there dying because the music will play, and Grimmie will show up. But, yes, they could die at home when their lot is not active, then, no urn.
  • Options
    Okay, I've re-thought this, it's time for a granny/gandpa flat to be built to the side of the house/s.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    Kilov17Kilov17 Posts: 1,795 Member

Correct. I know for sure that the lot where the death takes place has to be active to even have an urn appear. Sounds like other players have had them leave when you rotate away from the lot as well even if there are no doors. Is there some reason you don't want them to leave? The only community lots they will visit are will be ones where you are playing with other Sims. You will know they are there dying because the music will play, and Grimmie will show up. But, yes, they could die at home when their lot is not active, then, no urn.

Though, me personally, I don't know why anyone would want an elder sim urn... Just means there is a chance the ghost of an old sim will creep about your home at night if a sim uses the Mourn option on it during the day.. A younger sim, I totally get, besides a younger sim would be worth considering bring back with Ambrosia; Since the youth potion in TS4 does do the miracle it does in TS3...
    But that's just me...
    Kilov17 (Gallery ID: SimOppresser)
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • Options
    Kilov17 wrote: »

Though, me personally, I don't know why anyone would want an elder sim urn... Just means there is a chance the ghost of an old sim will creep about your home at night if a sim uses the Mourn option on it during the day.. A younger sim, I totally get, besides a younger sim would be worth considering bring back with Ambrosia; Since the youth potion in TS4 does do the miracle it does in TS3...
    But that's just me...

Right, I get you on that. I keep the urn around for a couple two three days, until I think my Sims have had enough chance to mourn. They get over their sadness a little quickly sometimes. Seeing the ghost around is kinda fun for Sims I really have liked. But yeah, they break things and all that. When that gets to be a pain, I take the urn to the Cemetery and have a mock funeral in the Chapel. It's pretty good with the podium now, and singing. The mourners won't sit still of course. :p We eat a lot afterward. The Cemetery is just for family members and Sims I have gotten to know well in the community.
  • Options
    VenusABatsonVenusABatson Posts: 929 Member

Why kill them off? Go ahead and just put them in the retirement home if it is houses you are wanting to free up but let them live so the kids can still go visit Grandma and Grandpa. That is what I am thinking of doing. :smile:
    ORIGIN ID: VenusARussell
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Why kill them off? Go ahead and just put them in the retirement home if it is houses you are wanting to free up but let them live so the kids can still go visit Grandma and Grandpa. That is what I am thinking of doing. :smile:

It's not that I want to free up the houses, it's just I prefer, once they become elders, to concentrate on the rest of the family, and with zero attention span with Sims in Sim 4 now, it makes it all too much hard work trying to co-ordinate them to doing what you want to do. I don't want to kill them off, and I don't want to move them out of the family home, so I've started building an annex/grannyflat on the house with everything the need, and I'm going to take the door off so they can't wander, and when I want the rest of the family to see them, I can put the door back on. Well, that's the plan so far.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    > @February11 said:
    > Okay, I've re-thought this, it's time for a granny/gandpa flat to be built to the side of the house/s.

and then take the door off. :D
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    Sort of related, but ehaught58 has a wedding church 40x30 lot on the gallery that has a small cemetery attached. I like it for my sims who want a traditional church wedding. It has a sanctuary for the ceremony and a kitchen/ bar/dining area for a reception, I have used it for a long time, since before we had prebuild wedding venues in the game.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    sunblond wrote: »
    Sort of related, but ehaught58 has a wedding church 40x30 lot on the gallery that has a small cemetery attached. I like it for my sims who want a traditional church wedding. It has a sanctuary for the ceremony and a kitchen/ bar/dining area for a reception, I have used it for a long time, since before we had prebuild wedding venues in the game.

@sunblond Thank you for pointing that out! I'm going to use it now.
  • Options
    joRN1414 wrote: »
    > @February11 said:
    > Okay, I've re-thought this, it's time for a granny/gandpa flat to be built to the side of the house/s.

and then take the door off. :D

Yup :)
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    524julie524julie Posts: 8 New Member
    I like this "retirement home" idea. I'll have to remember this when I can't handle the elders anymore. lol
  • Options
    artistichippie2009artistichippie2009 Posts: 115 Member
    I cut down the elders life a lot so they don't live a long time XD I figure just let the elders do whatever they want for the short time they have and keep focus on everyone else lol
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    sunblond wrote: »

@sunblond Thank you for pointing that out! I'm going to use it now.

Here's another church/cemetary that comes with a funeral event mod. It has CC and is designed for funerals so you can mourn properly after they die.
    http://brittpinkiesims.wixsite.com/brittpinkiesims/single-post/2017/02/27/Funeral-Event-Mod
  • Options
    FaybelFaybel Posts: 53 Member
    So not that different to real nursing homes then? ^^'
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I don't have issues with elders. I use the MC Command Center mod to lower the level of elders produced and I have it set to move them out during the weekly auto clean up.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

If you aren't playing that lot this won't help you. I'm under the impression Sims who aren't played or being played keep static motives. Meaning they are never really hungry/starving. When on community lots they are static and just going through the motions though bladder control seems to be the only thing that might not be static.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.