Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pets Are NOT Playable!

Comments

• Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    ladybreid wrote: »
    YES!!!! That's what I was hoping for!

Though I am sorry for everyone who wanted them to be playable.

I am still trying to work out the difference between the playable ones and what they are talking about with 4 could you give me some sort of comparison so I can understand better :) I am used to series 2&3 pets..

The ts4 pet like the ts2 ones will be part of your household but you wont be able to click and make them do what you want like with a sim. Whereas in TS3 you controlled them like a sim

Thank you I understand now I was kind of struggling with what the differences meant.. :)

You're welcome it can get confusing :)
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    I think pets being unplayable will add some interesting gameplay, since your Sims will actually be forced to care for their pets.
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Im wondering how having kittens and puppies will work. Do we have to just sit and wait hoping our pets fall in love lol surely there has to be some kind of control over that?
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member

I am still trying to work out the difference between the playable ones and what they are talking about with 4 could you give me some sort of comparison so I can understand better :) I am used to series 2&3 pets..

They won't be playable so you can't control them like sims :-)
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    I like it. I don't know if they may include a cheat that allows to control them, but we'll see.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Here I feel about it ? The pets better be good if not they can keep it . The downgrade better be a good trade-off.
  • Options
    CheezirationCheeziration Posts: 100 Member
    Phew, switching between controlling more than a couple sims is already a hassle, lol. I'll be glad to let the pets do their own thing.

Still, sorry to everyone who wanted to control them. I hope they have that cheat (which I didn't know was there, thanks for the info)!
    vmBGbsG.png
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member

They won't be playable so you can't control them like sims :-)

Lol I just found that out but my brain was like hang on do the animals do that in 2 and what about 3 I can play 3 difference series in any one day so I am bound to get confused sometimes :)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    YES!! I prefer not to control them like S2.

I agree. I have enough to control with these hard headed Sims who go ten miles out of their way to wave at someone though you cancelled that action but they keep going. But in case there are problems I hope they give us back the TS2 cheat for pets.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    esfireesfire Posts: 201 Member
    Im wondering how having kittens and puppies will work. Do we have to just sit and wait hoping our pets fall in love lol surely there has to be some kind of control over that?

They said theyre playable just not fully controllable like sims so im assuming theres Some control there at least. As you said, some things need a push from the player like breeding and so on
  • Options
    KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    I think this is a good decision from the developers. Imagine having a Household with three toddlers, three pets and two adults, and you have to control them all! I think controlling those three toddlers alone will be a huge challenge already. Add three pets to that and you won't be able to control the adults anymore due to lack of in-game time. I'm glad the pets will go their own way. Besides, Sims will be forced to care for them, which could create some interesting gameplay.
  • Options
    PeachynesssPeachynesss Posts: 57 Member
    > @Klthf said:
    > I think pets being unplayable will add some interesting gameplay, since your Sims will actually be forced to care for their pets.

This. It is quite realistic so I don't really mind. I actually can't wait! I do understand that some people would have liked to control them though.
    319a2d108b51035bcdd43edc37866094.gif

Origin ID: Peachynesss
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Lomelindi7 wrote: »
    I think this is actually a good thing for realism. They will feel more like actual pets this way

this my thinking too.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    This. It is quite realistic so I don't really mind. I actually can't wait! I do understand that some people would have liked to control them though.

it's not like The Sims 3 pets could just get themselves food, or clean their own litterbox. It give you an option to do something mischievous yourself if your pet AI does nothing, or force them to eat, if they're too forgetful to fullfill their hunger.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »

it's not like The Sims 3 pets could just get themselves food, or clean their own litterbox. It give you an option to do something mischievous yourself if your pet AI does nothing, or force them to eat, if they're too forgetful to fullfill their hunger.

Yeah, why didn't they just give us the choice .?Pets you can control them if you want it too?
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    That was my number one wish for a Pet EP so I'm really happy ! :)
  • Options
    > @mirta000 said:
    > it's not like The Sims 3 pets could just get themselves food, or clean their own litterbox. It give you an option to do something mischievous yourself if your pet AI does nothing, or force them to eat, if they're too forgetful to fullfill their hunger.

I think they thought about that. Maybe there will be options to 'call them to dinner', or maybe you can train them to shape their behaviour like them using the litter box or not, them being mischievous or nice, or making them do those kinds of things on demand. We don't know how the gameplay will be, so maybe it's too soon to judge.

• Options
    Winifred_WillowWinifred_Willow Posts: 423 Member
    I actually don't mind this. I do hope we have a cheat in case they get in to trouble and our sims can't get to them. When I play pets in Sims 3 I usually didn't control them unless it was necessary and when I fart around in Sims Freeplay, I don't control the pets and it's perfectly fine.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Well, the game is called The Sims. Pets are not exactly Sims, so to me, it does not seem like it's a necessity that we have the option to control pets.

I'm not too disappointed about this because I'm so used to how it works in The Sims 2, and honestly, I liked that pets had a mind of their own. It made them feel like they were their own beings, if that makes any sense.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »

I would argue that if the pet AI did nothing and pets had to be forced to eat or were "forgetful," it was because we could control them. Now they will be more spontaneous and we shouldn't have to worry about any of that. The simulation lag still needs to be fixed, though, but that affects all sims not just pets.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    > @mirta000 said:
    > it's not like The Sims 3 pets could just get themselves food, or clean their own litterbox. It give you an option to do something mischievous yourself if your pet AI does nothing, or force them to eat, if they're too forgetful to fullfill their hunger.

I think they thought about that. Maybe there will be options to 'call them to dinner', or maybe you can train them to shape their behaviour like them using the litter box or not, them being mischievous or nice, or making them do those kinds of things on demand. We don't know how the gameplay will be, so maybe it's too soon to judge.

They might be as big a handful as toddlers, imagine not being able to control a toddler. There should at least be a cheat.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    AmazingamphyAmazingamphy Posts: 1,733 Member
    Well, there goes my 100 Doggo Challenge. :/
    HmypxT0.png
    Gone from this place and never coming back. P5 is good
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    I'm really not sure I'll get it since I can't control the pets. I wonder why they didn't just make something for them where you could turn pet autonomy on or off? Wouldn't that have been better and satisfied everyone?
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    So uncontrollable like sims 2.... So they won't take up a family spot? Like are they included in the household count?
  • Options
    > @Cinebar said:
    > They might be as big a handful as toddlers, imagine not being able to control a toddler. There should at least be a cheat.

I don't think they will, pets are pretty self-sufficient when it comes to eating (as long as you keep the bowl full) and sleeping. Toddlers aren't. I still understand that some people are disappointed, everyone has their own preference of course. This is just how I personally feel about it.