Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Darling Walsh is a girl

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I already knew she was female though.. I mean how many guys you know are named Darling?

Alistair Darling
    British MP
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alistair_Darling

:)
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    I first spotted Miko, so I loaded up the household and found myself rather liking Darling Walsh. I find her really uncomplicated to play. Because of the unflirty trait, she has no need for all that distracting relationship stuff, so can just get on with what interests her.

Cool sim :)

Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I already knew she was female though.. I mean how many guys you know are named Darling?

Alistair Darling
    British MP
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alistair_Darling

Since she isn't a random Sim but created by a guru, maybe they thought it was 'darling' to name her that and make her the way they did. It's about as cute as Virtual Family guru/devs naming some of their characters children (born in game) Boots, Hoot, Input, Adware, etc. (eyeroll)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    All I want to know is...why the name the poor girl Darling. I have not once ever heard the word, darling used as a name.

It's strange because so many people (including myself) assumed that Darling would be a very feminine name but according to some baby name sites it's actually slightly more common on boys. I mean, it's pretty uncommon full stop and I'd certainly never heard it before but yeah. Seems like it's been used for girls for a much longer period of time but recently started being used more for boys and as I said is slightly more popular.

Which is really interesting when you think that they tend to have a reason to name sims a certain way. And with all this debate over Darling's gender could that be why they chose that name in the first place?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Thought I'd nerd out

Apparently it is Old English deorling meaning beloved or favourite.

From my bit of research it seems it is derived from deor, meaning dear and ling is possibly a diminutive, so smaller in stature eg: duckling, kingling

Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    Deor... I quite like that name
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • Options
    IgneousGeldingIgneousGelding Posts: 393 Member
    I like having gender atypical premades. I'm transgender myself, so even though my Sim got off to a really bad start with them when he was trying to make his club a meal while at their apartment and Darling yelled at him (lmao,) I'm really tempted to add them to my Sims family as a FtM transgender potential husband or just a more butch or androgynous partner for my Sim's daughter. It's like, the perfect story opportunity, and I just love love love it.
    Origin ID: graple2001
    I build things and sometimes share them. I'm not hogging, I'm just slow. I've recently wiped my gallery, so there might not be stuff up for a while.tumblr_nabmnaWdl21s7ujplo1_500.gif
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Speaking of Darling Walsh. One of my vampires ran into another NPC sim with the name Darling. I wanted to think that this other sim was related to Darling Walsh. But nope since this other Sim's last name was Darling, and not Walsh. Have you seen another NPC sim with Darling in their name in your game?
  • Options
    mctsimmermctsimmer Posts: 277 Member
    I love this character and have allowed the qualities the Guru's gave her to play out her story. Her gender fluidity is one of the best introduced in the game. I have used her inability to publicly show affection to play her like a Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory) type with no touching or showing displays of affection. I have her here with her husband Artharv Ghandi who accepts the dynamics of their relationship.
    I'll give some advice to anyone who thinks that Darling is a hard sim to play in a relationship. Darling when she is alone with Artharv in their room or home kisses her husband, and on autonomous settings she kisses him all the time.
    OmyVFaX.jpg
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    Just in case nobody knows what I am talking about:
    DarlingWalsh.png
    It is not a teen boy.

Looks like a sports girl, maybe mixed with tomboy.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited July 2017
    Yeah, I was fooled, too. I started a new club for gym members since Powerhouse was full. I created the Heavyweights. The founder asked Darling to join since (s)he frequented the gym a lot. It was only when Darling used the Women's locker room did I figure it out.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    FereldanCherryFereldanCherry Posts: 291 Member
    Love her the way she is, but I started a new game where I gave every existing household a makeover.
    As this thread is dedicated to Darling I thought some of you guys might wanted to see. Used lots of CC!
    Concerning her features and structures I only changed her shoulder width.

tumblr_osmxhmhlKv1wn99j5o1_1280.png
    The Fox And The Lion (Chapter 1 - The Introduction): https://fereldencherry.tumblr.com/tagged/tfatl1/chrono
  • Options
    mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
    edited July 2017
    Love her the way she is, but I started a new game where I gave every existing household a makeover.
    As this thread is dedicated to Darling I thought some of you guys might wanted to see. Used lots of CC!
    Concerning her features and structures I only changed her shoulder width.

tumblr_osmxhmhlKv1wn99j5o1_1280.png

Love love love her makeover! You did a fantastic job!

Do you remember where you got her CC from? I'm pretty sure I have the hair and necklace, but I'm DYING for her outfit, those tattoos and piercings, and to know the skin and eyes you use. Those fishnets are delightful!

Edit: I'd also like to know what black magic was used for her eye makeup. It is FLAWLESS, and those eye lashes are seriously killing me.
  • Options
    KismetRoseKismetRose Posts: 302 Member
    edited July 2017
    At first glance I too thought she was a boy until I noticed the name and played up close to her. I love her personality and she is bff with my current Sim. It's funny because she will call and ask to come over and hang out, and when she did that when I had a baby, she always talked to him in his crib <3
  • Options
    spaceisstrangespaceisstrange Posts: 84 Member
    they are possibly non-binary. born as a female, therefore having more feminine features, but not identifying as male or female.
  • Options
    FereldanCherryFereldanCherry Posts: 291 Member
    @mmt3363 Oh thank you so much, you are lovely! I will try to find the cc I used as soon as I have time! :) Hopefully this weekend!
    The Fox And The Lion (Chapter 1 - The Introduction): https://fereldencherry.tumblr.com/tagged/tfatl1/chrono
  • Options
    DianalovesfigsDianalovesfigs Posts: 2 New Member
    Whenever I communicate with darling, my sim gets embarrassed. This has happened multiple times. HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE?
  • Options
    DianalovesfigsDianalovesfigs Posts: 2 New Member
    Also to clarify, my sims getembarrassed from violating her privacy, even though darling has just been working out or casually talking.
  • Options
    SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    I thought Darling was a play on the name Darlene. Pronounced the same way. *shrug* I always make her over in my game. I don't like that particular hair on her because she is quite attractive. She is one of my favorite Sims.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I knew that sim was female. I was make her over though to fit my the look of my Sim world.
  • Options
    nayruslove7nayruslove7 Posts: 108 Member
    I always knew that Darling was a girl but it took me a while to realize she was a teen, not YA.
  • Options
    AmeliaNovaAmeliaNova Posts: 76 Member
    I absolutely love Darling- They definitely came off as non binary/gender fluid or butch/boi to me, which I really love seeing in the game.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Well...yeah.
    giphy.gif