Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Height slider♥

Comments

• Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,091 Member
    Windely wrote: »
    Yes, it would be cool, but they are not going to make it. All the interactions would be ruined.
    Not all only some I use a height slider it only messes up things like kissing and picking up toddlers so those animations would have to be remade for those interactions.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    liko211 wrote: »
    Ugh imagine a short girl having to tiptoe to kiss her tall boyfriend or vice versa it would be so cool!
    This is not how a slider would work.

What would happen is that the taller sim would just end up snogging the nose, or forehead of the shorter sim. That is the problem with sliders, they don't alter animations. Having a short sim go on their toes to kiss can only be done if an entirely new animation is created for the purpose.

The issue with having more height options is that it means more animations have to be redone for each height, which means the animators won't be working on new content, just redoing things that already exist, and wouldn't have to be redone if more sims were the same height.

Here's a bit of info on the topic of heights, as it relates to just teens in ts4.

http://simscommunity.info/2014/09/14/sims-4-simgurumarion-explains-teens/
    the height difference meant that there was a not insignificant amount of animation on Sims 2 and Sims 3 that could not be shared for technical reasons. In those cases we had to duplicate the adult animation and hand adjust it for the teen. Each case of this is “invisible” content, in the sense that it did not add any more stuff to do or special behavior to the game but ate up valuable animation time. It’s hard to put a number on how much content we lost to this, but I can say with some confidence that teens in the Sims 2 and Sims 3 did have significantly fewer teen-specific interactions than we wanted to make for them because of the invisible work we had to do in order to support their size.

Personally, I think a height slider might be an idea for ts5, if they can impliment it in a way that doesn't mess with animations.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    A height slider will not work in this version because there are too many possibilities for varying heights. Three preset heights (tall, short and average) would be a workable solution. Then, animations can be easily made for each of the three heights.
  • Options
    Kawaiis1merKawaiis1mer Posts: 4 New Member
    [quote="Dannydanbo;c-15796604"]A height slider will not work in this version because there are too many possibilities for varying heights. Three preset heights (tall, short and average) would be a workable solution. Then, animations can be easily made for each of the three heights.[/quote]
    Exactly!!!!
  • Options
    zombiesuezombiesue Posts: 148 Member
    Basically what everyone is saying is correct. I will eat my hat if they add this to TS4. There is just no way.

Let's say they add "short, medium, tall" default heights, Let's assume they only do teen, Y/A, adult, and elder... that's still 3 x 4 = 12 animations for everything the sim does alone, and then sim-to-sim interactions is worse, because they have to mod short teen to short teen, short teen to medium teen, short teen to tall teen, medium teen to medium teen, medium teen to tall teen, tall teen to tall teen... that's 7 different sim-to-sim animations for teen-to-teen. Now we need short teen to short YA, medium teen to short YA.... It's a lot more than *just* 3 times the work. AND THEN your computer has to store all this information and retrieve it quickly enough to keep pace with what we expect from modern gaming.

But on the other hand, EA makes a "cost vs benefit" analysis to everything they program, I'm sure. So maybe, computers and programming techniques will advance to make the animations just a little easier to do, and higher-end computers will be cheaper and cheaper, and the community will have demonstrated that they want this feature so bad that EA will finally decide it's worth it? I definitely hope so, so I am holding my breath for TS5, which is still probably a few years away =) And if not TS5, then TS6...

So, it won't happen soon... but keep asking for it.
  • Options
    ElainaElaina Posts: 80 Member
    Yes! Anything to make characters more distinguishable and more life-like. Even if it's a preset and not customizable, it could still make a difference in play.
  • Options
    SydcupcakesSydcupcakes Posts: 79 Member
    I hope this gets implemented soon. Then all my sims won't be the same height!
  • Options
    KishiNova12KishiNova12 Posts: 100 Member
    this feature should have been in the game no idea why they decided nnot to add it
  • Options
    KishiNova12KishiNova12 Posts: 100 Member
    > @BrokenChaos69 said:
    > Height sliders would be nice but they're never going to happen officially in The Sims 4. Maybe for TS5 but they add a lot of extra work when it comes to making clothing, animations, etc.

i highly doubt there will be a Sims 5 at this point if they don't pick the game up first and make a sims 5 without fixing the sims 4 it will likely be bad if not worse and will lead to the sims series completely stoping meaning they woul have to give the rights to the game to someone else for it to have any chance of going on
  • Options
    SimlishPopstarSimlishPopstar Posts: 204 Member
    They can do it but they wont.
    The Sims 4 (despite what many say) has provided the highest quality sim content.
    Clothes haven't been better (quality wise) and each one individually fitting to a sims unique body type. Its actually fantastic. But with they way things are going its hard to do. TS3 and TS2 had random derps in clothes and their quality.

TS4 now has feminine and masculine frames, good quality sim cosmetics and Toddler, Child, Teen, Young Adult, Adult, Elder life stages.
    Height would certainly be hard to do, but its definitely possible in ts4.
    They have approaches to it.

Optional is three heights to choose from or a height slider.
    An optional three heights could let one simply choose out of three heights but it would very likely require a huge update.
    On the other hand they could do a huge morph update and make sliders to lower height for waist and thigh and calf and arms.

I think its possible but probably is not going to happen.
  • Options
    mollytrollyzmollytrollyz Posts: 63 Member
    Yass! I would love this, to be honest I can't believe it not in the game :open_mouth:
  • Options
    MiMortaMiMorta Posts: 15 Member
    YES! Everyone being the same height has been annoying!!! I wanna play more short smurf self!
  • Options
    CitySimmer16CitySimmer16 Posts: 331 Member
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,322 Member
    edited July 2017
    liko211 wrote: »
    Ugh imagine a short girl having to tiptoe to kiss her tall boyfriend or vice versa it would be so cool! Who else wants height sliders for ts4 help me bump this! :D

I won't say a Height slider, just a "Tall" option (Teen to Elder) would be nice with new interactions specific to the tall sims.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    CitySimmer16CitySimmer16 Posts: 331 Member
    Q02ExXTVgyhbYmmW5DcPDNVDU3_UUrqsMuT70sYv_8E.jpg?w=960&s=1eddddf17f85888ab9ebf3f688ed6b24.png

you'll have tall sims bending down to talk to short sims :D
    FFCOojX.gif
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited July 2017
    Nearly every single animation in the game would have to be revamped so that the animations wouldn't look ridiculous if they added height sliders. A tall sim kissing a short one would really just be making out with the Sim's forehead as opposed to their mouth.

If people want their Sims game to have a lot of depth, meaning a lot of things to do and try, that's already a lot of animations there. Now adding to that animations for Sims of differing heights, that's a WHOLE LOT more animations. Even if you did just the Tall option alone, that's twice the animations of the whole game and added DLC.

I wouldn't expect such a thing in this game or the next. But there could be some experimenting with it in TS6.

Now personally? I would really like a height slider, anything to give my character the depth needed to make seeing him grow entertaining. But I would definitely rule out its possibility of appearing in this game, at the very least.

EDIT: Maybe not a slider since how would the game detect your Sim being tall as opposed to being short? I'd say set heights, short, average, and tall with a hidden trait identifying your Sim as such so the game knows what animations to play.

But I don't know anything about game design, I'm just speculating here.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,322 Member
    edited July 2017
    The doors are enough high to allow tall sims pass through, the showers too.

Sure, it will break many animations due to the height : cooking, hug, kissing, mean/mischief interactions, hot tub, bathing, workout on machine, ...

It's a bigger project than Toddlers who got a limited number of interactions.
  • Options
    AliisavasAliisavas Posts: 29 Member
    I am currently using a height slider mod and I love how it adds so much more depth to my sims and townies! The only problem with it is that some animations don't work very well, such as kissing and carrying toddlers :D
    It would be amazing if TS4 ever had height options. A slider is probably too much to ask, but I would be happy to even have three different height options (short, average, tall). But I guess it's too difficult for the devs to do this for TS4, still..?
    But if there ever will be a Sims 5 I wish they would include height with it! I think it would be a step forward in The Sims series.
  • Options
    Kuma_frumaKuma_fruma Posts: 46 Member
    Duuuuuude that would be one of the best things to add is a height slider!!!!!!1
  • Options
    ValeahValeah Posts: 98 Member
    A height slider would be great. But I agree, pre-set height choices would be more practical. The greater ability to customize your Sim would be worth though. Hope they do it some time.
  • Options
    AngelSimmzAngelSimmz Posts: 41 Member
    I would love this because I am personally short but I think we are going to have to wait for the sims 5 to see this.
  • Options
    hughughughug Posts: 82 Member
    I have a mod for height sliders and I love it! However, when sims of different heights kiss and do certain interactions it looks a bit off so I don't know if they will ever do that.
  • Options
    jaxierocksjaxierocks Posts: 4 New Member
    It drives me crazy that all of my male Sims appear shorter than my female Sims. I want height sliders! (Or short, medium, tall....that would work too.
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    This could potentially work for Sims 5.

Way back in the Spore days, Maxis spent who knows how much money developing the tech to create procedural animations: that is, the shape of the alien (or Sim) determines how the animation plays out.

It wasn't used in TS3 or TS4, so I don't think it's likely to be included in TS4 (as they would have to completely re-do every animation in the game) but if they had the opportunity to start from scratch with a new game, then I could see it happening.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    usdalesusdales Posts: 1 New Member
    how do we request the feature?