Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Avoid Windows Creator update for now - FPS issue solved

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    Animaag wrote: »
    I'm wondering if my problems are also connected to the Creator Update. I don't have the brigthness issue you are having, but I have awful screen tearing issue which I could not solve. Also the v-sync stopped working for me and I only could get it to work with Nvidia Inspector. What is weird is that it only happens with TS3. TS4 works fine (if you don't count awful constant cooling when playing the game).
    Did you install the Creators Update? Right now it's not automatic so you would know if you have it. Did this all start after installing it? You can try rolling back.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rollback-uninstall-windows-10-creators-update

I got a pop up asking me to check my settings, or something similar. I didn't think anything of it until I was done and it said that the creator update was coming, or my computer was ready for it. tbh, idr the exact wording but I have auto updates, how do I make sure I don't end up with that creators update?
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    DivieOwl wrote: »
    I'm wondering if my problems are also connected to the Creator Update. I don't have the brigthness issue you are having, but I have awful screen tearing issue which I could not solve. Also the v-sync stopped working for me and I only could get it to work with Nvidia Inspector. What is weird is that it only happens with TS3. TS4 works fine (if you don't count awful constant cooling when playing the game).
    Did you install the Creators Update? Right now it's not automatic so you would know if you have it. Did this all start after installing it? You can try rolling back.

I got a pop up asking me to check my settings, or something similar. I didn't think anything of it until I was done and it said that the creator update was coming, or my computer was ready for it. tbh, idr the exact wording but I have auto updates, how do I make sure I don't end up with that creators update?
    Did you take the steps to install it? You would know if you installed it. It's not automatic right now. Everybody on Windows 10 sees the same notice.
    windows-10-creators-update.jpg
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Dusty_BootsDusty_Boots Posts: 236 Member
    edited May 2017

Here's some info I'm using on my own PC. Maybe it can be of some use to you and/or others.

Do you have Windows 10 Pro? If so, there are ways to control updates like the creator bugbear that no one seems to want forced on them, including me! These options & apps should be accessible for Win10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education versions. Even the arrogant M'sft didn't dare risk offending their business users so they offered some options to defer/delay/control deployment of these unwanted updates until they're thoroughly tested. There are unofficial workarounds for other versions of Win10, but I'm no expert and I wouldn't dare offer advice on that process.

I did run through this on my own pc. The Group Edit Policy tips allowed me to configure the updates. I've ticked the Notify to Download & Notify To Install options. That should prevent any stealth installs from Big Brother.
    How to block Windows 10 Creators Update from installing

If you do run into problems with an update, after rolling back and/or uninstalling it, this info may be helpful in how to prevent it from automatically re-installing.
    How to temporarily prevent a Windows Update from reinstalling in Windows 10

I'm still not satisfied nor reassured. I only started using Win10 a few weeks ago. Very early on I chose to defer feature updates (buys me 180 days) so I've not had the opportunity to test how well these settings will work on specific updates. How can we choose what updates to install or not? Do we even have a choice or is it all-or-nothing?

Edit to add: I just ran a manual update. It only updated the M'sft Defender Malware definitions which is the only category I have enabled via that wushowhide.diagcab troubleshooter app from M'sft. Still, that's not a very good test as maybe that was the only update available today. Microsoft, infuriating consumers since 1985© :angry:
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member

I would try installing the latest drivers for your graphics card before rolling back.
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member

Did you take the steps to install it? You would know if you installed it. It's not automatic right now. Everybody on Windows 10 sees the same notice.
    windows-10-creators-update.jpg

That's exactly what I had pop up (in spoiler). I reviewed my settings like it said, but I don't recall an actual install. Memory serves, it said something to the effect of now I was ready for it, or prepared, something along those lines.

Here's some info I'm using on my own PC. Maybe it can be of some use to you and/or others.

Do you have Windows 10 Pro? If so, there are ways to control updates like the creator bugbear that no one seems to want forced on them, including me! These options & apps should be accessible for Win10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education versions. Even the arrogant M'sft didn't dare risk offending their business users so they offered some options to defer/delay/control deployment of these unwanted updates until they're thoroughly tested. There are unofficial workarounds for other versions of Win10, but I'm no expert and I wouldn't dare offer advice on that process.

I did run through this on my own pc. The Group Edit Policy tips allowed me to configure the updates. I've ticked the Notify to Download & Notify To Install options. That should prevent any stealth installs from Big Brother.
    How to block Windows 10 Creators Update from installing

If you do run into problems with an update, after rolling back and/or uninstalling it, this info may be helpful in how to prevent it from automatically re-installing.
    How to temporarily prevent a Windows Update from reinstalling in Windows 10

I'm still not satisfied nor reassured. I only started using Win10 a few weeks ago. Very early on I chose to defer feature updates (buys me 180 days) so I've not had the opportunity to test how well these settings will work on specific updates. How can we choose what updates to install or not? Do we even have a choice or is it all-or-nothing?

Edit to add: I just ran a manual update. It only updated the M'sft Defender Malware definitions which is the only category I have enabled via that wushowhide.diagcab troubleshooter app from M'sft. Still, that's not a very good test as maybe that was the only update available today. Microsoft, infuriating consumers since 1985© :angry:

Thank you for those links. No, I have the regular windows 10, whatever the free version was. I generally don't even pay attention to updates and let it do it automatically, but after hearing about the issues with this creators update, I'll go change my settings cause I don't want that plum.
  • Options
    AnimaagAnimaag Posts: 319 Member
    @Simasaurus09 Oh, I guess I don't have Creators Update, then, because I haven't noticed that screen before. Phew!

@TreyNutz Thank you for your suggestion. I have the latest drivers. @phoebebebe13 is helping me on another thread with this issue.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    @Animaag Your problems sound exactly like the problems I was having. Screen tearing was one of the big problems too. I did a complete reset on my computer and started from scratch to get rid of all the problems.

Everytime I turn my computer on it asks me to review my permissions so it can install the Creator Update. The only choices are 'review' or 'remind me later' so I keep hitting remind me later. It's coming for me. :scream:
  • Options
    AnimaagAnimaag Posts: 319 Member
    I did a factory restore for my computer as well. I haven't tried playing the game yet but I will later today to see if this fixed the issue for me.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    I can honestly say moving to windows 10 last year after a PC upgrade has been nothing but a hassle and a corrupt windows 10 install (which apparently happens more frequently than it should) left me without all my games and not knowing what was a matter and if it had not been for some very techie minded players on these forums helping me I know I would never have managed to work it out on my own and be able to play my games again.

Nvidia Geforce experience also caused me a lot of headaches so I manually check for driver updates now and install them without the Geforce experience.

Since then between Origin updates and Microsoft's own I feel like I have an mischievous gnome in my PC that is determined to cause as many problems as possible. Right now after the Microsoft creator update I cannot upload any screenshots in windows 10 and after the recent Origin update it states I am offline all the time while allowing me to load my games. Honestly if this is all progress I do not want it..

@Simasaurus09

could you tell me how to turn creator off altogether please. Also I spent ages going through windows 10 turning everything off as much as possible but I read somewhere that the Game DVR in windows 10 can also meddle even if it is technically clicked as turned off I am wondering if you know if this is true because I will turn anything/everything off in an effort to stop Microsoft meddling. I did read that to turn it off completely it requires a registry tweak and that put me off a little because I would really need to know it would work and that was the correct information before I tried anything like that.

@Dusty_Boots

After poking around in my free Anniversary edition of 10 I came to realize we have very little control over some aspects of this program especially with with regards the timing of updates and I was actually considering purchasing windows 10 pro just so I could at least have that control back via The Group Edit Policy and while I have seen workarounds on the internet that supposedly adds this functionality to a version of 10 that does not already have it I am afraid the instructions are over my head :) It would be nice to know once you have learned more and had time to work with 10 pro if you think it is worth the upgrade although I would have nightmares about reinstalling this OS again-) I am assuming even pro is a digital download and not a disc is there a disc version of 10 anyway?

for the time being I have managed to block Microsoft edge and use another 3rd party program to search my computer for files/folders that another player gave me the details of and so far that has worked out reasonably well because tiles were popping up all over the place even when I deleted all of them and when trying to load my games I got kind of a ghost effect with Microsoft edge trying to pop up all the time despite setting chrome to my default browser.
    igazor wrote: »
    On a somewhat related note, I don't think I've read a single report from a player saying that the new Win 10 Creator Update thing is doing anything good at all for their TS3 games. Is there some benefit to it that's being missed here?

As far as I can see you have missed nothing although I am not an expert. When I went onto 10 last year I was forced to because Microsoft would not honor the key code related to my perfectly purchased legitimate windows 7 disc and there were no longer any legit windows 7 discs for sale in my country so I upgraded to 10 which was then found to be a corrupt install that caused me 3 months of hag with not being able to play any series of my sims games. I have also heard from a lot of techie players and techies out in the world that do not play games that many of these upgraded installs to 10 especially coming from 7 or another OS routinely corrupt and it is better to reinstall with a fresh 10 that removes all traces of what came before.
    One evening I was so sick of Microsoft and windows 10 in general I got in touch with Microsoft to complain about what they did to me with regards my 7 disc and key-code and how angry I was at everything that had happened since and their response to this was to ask me to send them pics of my disc key-code and box then apologize for not honoring my 7 key-code and disc and gave me a new windows 7 key-code stating I could use it as many times as I liked for the next 3 years when upgrading my PC until support for the OS was officially finished. I then asked if this would work with my disc and they said no. I asked them what the point was then as the install back to 7 could just as easily corrupt as the upgrade to 10 had done and they went very quiet. I like to own my disc and related key-code supposedly safe in the knowledge that it can be used after an upgrade or a clean install if something goes wrong but now with all these digital roll backs and digital OS installs it appears they are more problematic than they are worth.

It appears we all require degrees in computer science these days just to be able to get anything to work properly :|
  • Options
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @Dusty_Boots

After poking around in my free Anniversary edition of 10 I came to realize we have very little control over some aspects of this program especially with with regards the timing of updates and I was actually considering purchasing windows 10 pro just so I could at least have that control back via The Group Edit Policy and while I have seen workarounds on the internet that supposedly adds this functionality to a version of 10 that does not already have it I am afraid the instructions are over my head :) It would be nice to know once you have learned more and had time to work with 10 pro if you think it is worth the upgrade although I would have nightmares about reinstalling this OS again-) I am assuming even pro is a digital download and not a disc is there a disc version of 10 anyway?

for the time being I have managed to block Microsoft edge and use another 3rd party program to search my computer for files/folders that another player gave me the details of and so far that has worked out reasonably well because tiles were popping up all over the place even when I deleted all of them and when trying to load my games I got kind of a ghost effect with Microsoft edge trying to pop up all the time despite setting chrome to my default browser.

@SPARKY1922 - My settings are working. I'm getting only daily Defender updates and only at scheduled times. If you/anyone can, do look into how to prevent a redownload/reinstall of updates, which I mentioned above. I believe that option is available for all Win10 versions and it seems like good & prudent advice to everyone.

No, I would not advise any home user to re-purchase Win10 Pro if they already have another version. Even the Pro etc. users will eventually run out of time and be forced to accept these feature updates. The options in Pro etc. versions are not a workaround, only a delay. The delay has great value to businesses, but not so much to home users. I do not understand the unofficial methods that people are using to get around these limitations very well at all. Nor could/would I advise anyone on such a venture.

These 'Feature' Updates are, in truth, M'sft's way of rolling out versions of the Win10 OS. That they are mandating the upgrades is due to their desire to limit the variables their Support divisions are required to address. The old way of having multiple service packs available presented too many variables of which version a user had that needed to be supported. Its a trade-off. We users have less control but we get timely & improved security & software support in return. I don't like it at all but I do understand their reasons. I really wish they'd return user needs to the front & center position. As it is, they've been advancing their techie needs over & above that of their users for years now.

To my understanding, Win10 is available as a download but also as a retail USB install. I purchased the USB version ($200usd) which worked perfectly. It probably would not go well on an older pc motherboard that lacks advanced USB support at boot.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @Dusty_Boots

I had no idea the workaround was still temporary I am pleased I did not make a very expensive mistake purchasing 10 pro :)

several weeks ago I was looking for a way to stop updates from downloading automatically but most information appears to be for using group policy which is only available with pro and education versions of 10 apparently so you should be able to use that sort of info?

I saved several webpages on the matter as follows

To Enable or Disable Automatic Updates using Group Policy

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8013-enable-disable-windows-update-automatic-updates-windows-10-a.html#option1

and for everyone on a version of every other 10 I was going to use one of the following methods

To Turn On or Off Automatic Device Driver Installation in Device Installation Settings and there is a registry version too but I was a little afraid to try. I can follow instruction precisely as long as it is in order and correct but I am unsure about simply using information on the internet..

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/15989-turn-off-device-driver-automatic-installation-windows-10-a.html

I am going to email my PC tech and ask him if he knows but the problem with him is that he is a Microsoft adoring fan :# If he knows how to do it I will come back with some further details..
  • Options
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @Dusty_Boots

I had no idea the workaround was still temporary I am pleased I did not make a very expensive mistake purchasing 10 pro :)

several weeks ago I was looking for a way to stop updates from downloading automatically but most information appears to be for using group policy which is only available with pro and education versions of 10 apparently so you should be able to use that sort of info?

I saved several webpages on the matter as follows

To Enable or Disable Automatic Updates using Group Policy

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8013-enable-disable-windows-update-automatic-updates-windows-10-a.html#option1

and for everyone on a version of every other 10 I was going to use one of the following methods

To Turn On or Off Automatic Device Driver Installation in Device Installation Settings and there is a registry version too but I was a little afraid to try. I can follow instruction precisely as long as it is in order and correct but I am unsure about simply using information on the internet..

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/15989-turn-off-device-driver-automatic-installation-windows-10-a.html

I am going to email my PC tech and ask him if he knows but the problem with him is that he is a Microsoft adoring fan :# If he knows how to do it I will come back with some further details..

I've seen and read through that guide, its concise, current, and I like it! Wouldn't Option # 5 work for all Win10 non-pro versions to alter the startup type for the updates app? I think it would allow people to tick everything from Automatic to Manual to Disabled for the updater app.

Though I can't & won't vouch for any guidance outside of the instructions for Win10 Pro, if it were me, I'd go right ahead and do that registry edit after backing it up and creating a restore point. There's a user-friendly guide on how to do that here, it has instructions for both pro & non-pro editions of Win10.
    Block Windows 10 forced updates without breaking your machine, part 2

I find this app, wushowhide.diagcab, mentioned and used in that article very interesting! It seems to be a valuable tool to help control which updates to install or not. It should work with your Win10 Anniversary Edition. I've already used it about two weeks ago. I can see what Updates I've denied permission to install. However, I have yet to see if, or how well, it will work with other than hardware updates. There just hasn't been enough time for me to have been offered forced to accept a major software update yet.
    How to temporarily prevent a driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

To my understanding, M'sft Defender updates have some sort of priority status as an Important/Critical security update that overrides our settings/attempts to block all updates. From that, I'd suppose that M'sft can force whatever whenever it wants on users by altering its status. Which leads me to...
    I'm starting to wonder about the wisdom of M'sft's forced/stealth downloading of updates. If they force-roll out a wonky download/update en masse, or worse if/when their servers are breached and it automatically stealth downloads, that's an enormous highway straight into the heart of all connected PCs. As if they weren't a big enough target already... *sigh* They respected & addressed end-user needs/concerns far better when Bill Gates was driving!

And, after looking into possibly using Firewalls to block the updates it seems very tricky & unreliable to me.
  • Options
    1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    Yikes!! I accidentally hit "restart" instead of "schedule time" on my laptop and Creator is installing as I type. I was prepping my laptop for vacation in two weeks and now my sim adventures during downtime may be borked. Everyone please send me some positive vibes that this doesn't mess up my game and make it unplayable. :'(:'( Microsoft makes me so angry at times. At no point should a program or external company decide what I want on my computer either because they think I am too stupid to protect myself or for any other lame reason.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    edited September 2017
    @1need4kaffee, this link here will help you to get your game to work with Windows Creator. I too have Windows Creator, so I followed the instructions that someone has posted in the thread and now my game works just fine... :) So hopefully this will work for you as well... :smiley:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/921774/sims-3-problems-after-update-windows-10-creator#latest

Hope you have a nice vacation and happy simming... :)
  • Options
    @1need4kaffee My laptop that I started this thread about is borked but it is running sims with the creator update now with everything working fine (that is until it crashes, another issue). Also my desktop is running with the creator update just fine. The screen does momentarily go bright when I switch over to my game but it readjusts itself.
  • Options
    Well, the Creators Update finally pushed its self on my computer. I didn't install anything to prevent it. I figured I would deal with it whenever Microsoft started pushing it. I turned off game mode. I haven't tried playing any games... I hope nothing else interferes.
  • Options
    1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    Thank you @lisasc360. I tested it briefly last night and so far so good, @ZeeGee and @Simasaurus09. I hope it works for you as well, Simasaurus09.
  • Options
    @Simasaurus09 How do you turn off game mode?
  • Options
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @Simasaurus09 How do you turn off game mode?

I googled it but off the top of my head (not at my PC right now), it's through Windows Settings. Click the cogwheel in the start menu or windows search it. It will be under game settings I think.

@lisasc360 Posted a link on this page that explains turning off game mode along with other settings. I didn't see her post before so I went back and turned off those as well.
  • Options
    @Simasaurus09 Sorry. I get annoyed with people asking the same old questions when a simple Google search would suffice and here I go and do it myself. :tongue:
  • Options
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @Simasaurus09 Sorry. I get annoyed with people asking the same old questions when a simple Google search would suffice and here I go and do it myself. :tongue:
    no worries ;)