Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

GP vs EP

Hi everyone! First I wanted to start of, by saying good job to the GP team. Yesterday I saw the broadcast and the new GP looks great, they came up with a bunch of ideas that even family players didn't really mention. I was comparing the personality development system they added, with the club system in GT, and I must say that being a GP it's far more superior than the one in get together (imho).

I don't know if it's 2017 or that the GP team is way better when it comes to creativity. We haven't gotten an EP this year so I'm not judging yet. However, if this is the kind of content we will be getting by now on, then I'm really excited for this year and for the future. I really wish we had seen this before, but right now I'm extremely pleased with the last 2 GPs and I now see why I loved the sims so much.

I just wanted to share my thoughts, tell the team that I'm super happy with what they have come up lately and to keep this going :)

So what do you guys think about the last to GPS in comparison to the EPs? And how do you feel about the sims 4 right now?
21mbz47.jpg

Comments

• Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    I prefer the Game Packs to the expansion packs.

I like the full flushed out feeling from the game packs ... they have teeth, they have substance. They seemed fully fleshed out ( save for the very first game pack - outdoor retreat ). I love Spa Day, I love Vampires, I like Dine Out for what it is and am excited for the Parenthood.

The Expansion Packs are fair to good, but with each one ... it is like there is a line on the ground ... they go up to the line, lean over the line ... but don't cross the line.

City Living is nice ... as long as you live in San Myshuno. But unless you live in the city ... you lose out on so much of the game elements. Housekeys, fantastic ... only if you live in an apartment or penthouse. A house, forget about giving friends/families keys to the house. I loved that feature ... too bad I moved out of the city and now can't use it.

Get To Work. Great new objects, but the careers are hit or miss. There are just so many times you can 'use ray to change outfit of 3 co-workers', 'use ray to make 3 co-workers ravenous' and whatnot. And all the co-workers all seem to be in the way. Aliens are nice ... but after seeing what they did with vampires, I would have loved to seen an alien Game Pack.

Get Together is my favorite out of the expansions. The club feature is worth it.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited May 2017
    I skipped the last 2 releases off principle, Vampires and Bowling. This Parenthood pack interests me so I'll be getting it. I don't like sending my sims out of the house so it'll be nice to have something new for them to do at home and for the kids with the chores, grounding, etc. It's refreshing.

Get Together I enjoyed. But I never actually start club gatherings, I just like having all of my families sorted into clubs based on their career, and I put all the children in one club and the teens in another. So that's nice.

City Living San Myshuno is still bugged for me. I had to download a mod so that the game would let me go super speed whenever there was a festival around. Theres one apartment building I do not use so it's wasted space because both the apartments are SO BIG, i can't figure out how to divide them up so I don't have anyone living in either one. Also the basketball goal was bugged for a long time and that was literally the ONLY reason I bought the pack. Reminded me of TS1 days and Michael Bachelor playing the goal. Idk if it's been fixed now though.

Get To Work I thoroughly enjoyed, especially the Doctor career. Science is boring. Police is bugged at times. It's nice to come back around every now and then and play through one of the careers, not something you can do often though because it's very repetitive.

Just wish the release was at midnight and not during the day. Why in the world do they do that?
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »

I like the full flushed out feeling from the game packs ... they have teeth, they have substance. They seemed fully fleshed out ( save for the very first game pack - outdoor retreat ). I love Spa Day, I love Vampires, I like Dine Out for what it is and am excited for the Parenthood.

The Expansion Packs are fair to good, but with each one ... it is like there is a line on the ground ... they go up to the line, lean over the line ... but don't cross the line.

City Living is nice ... as long as you live in San Myshuno. But unless you live in the city ... you lose out on so much of the game elements. Housekeys, fantastic ... only if you live in an apartment or penthouse. A house, forget about giving friends/families keys to the house. I loved that feature ... too bad I moved out of the city and now can't use it.

Get To Work. Great new objects, but the careers are hit or miss. There are just so many times you can 'use ray to change outfit of 3 co-workers', 'use ray to make 3 co-workers ravenous' and whatnot. And all the co-workers all seem to be in the way. Aliens are nice ... but after seeing what they did with vampires, I would have loved to seen an alien Game Pack.

Get Together is my favorite out of the expansions. The club feature is worth it.

I had some computer issues before, and now with a new computer I can actually enjoy the game, without it lagging. I'm exploring City Living, so far I love it! CAS is amazing, its colorful, quirky and I think these premades are my favorites so far.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I skipped the last 2 releases off principle, Vampires and Bowling. This Parenthood pack interests me so I'll be getting it. I don't like sending my sims out of the house so it'll be nice to have something new for them to do at home and for the kids with the chores, grounding, etc. It's refreshing.

Get Together I enjoyed. But I never actually start club gatherings, I just like having all of my families sorted into clubs based on their career, and I put all the children in one club and the teens in another. So that's nice.

City Living San Myshuno is still bugged for me. I had to download a mod so that the game would let me go super speed whenever there was a festival around. Theres one apartment building I do not use so it's wasted space because both the apartments are SO BIG, i can't figure out how to divide them up so I don't have anyone living in either one. Also the basketball goal was bugged for a long time and that was literally the ONLY reason I bought the pack. Reminded me of TS1 days and Michael Bachelor playing the goal. Idk if it's been fixed now though.

Get To Work I thoroughly enjoyed, especially the Doctor career. Science is boring. Police is bugged at times. It's nice to come back around every now and then and play through one of the careers, not something you can do often though because it's very repetitive.

Just wish the release was at midnight and not during the day. Why in the world do they do that?

If you like supernaturals, I really recommend the vampires GP :)
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »

I had some computer issues before, and now with a new computer I can actually enjoy the game, without it lagging. I'm exploring City Living, so far I love it! CAS is amazing, its colorful, quirky and I think these premades are my favorites so far.

See that's why I skipped it, I don't like Supernaturals lol. I had to download a mod just to disable the Aliens that came in Get To Work
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »

See that's why I skipped it, I don't like Supernaturals lol. I had to download a mod just to disable the Aliens that came in Get To Work

Haha i understand when it comes to aliens, but i have never liked aliens, but i do enjoy to ocassional abductions once in a while.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    I would swap Parenthood for a full-blown Generations EP that had everything Parenthood had - with more - lots more.

However, if Generations is being delivered as a multi-GP - Parenthood being phase 1, then I will accept that - as long as we don't miss out on stuff.
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    I prefer GPs, definitely. I feel like they are packed full of interesting content on specific topics and not only that, but they're also cheaper. The value for my money is just SO much better with the GPS and I use the content all the time.

EPs have not felt big enough to me yet. I get the they are meant to add more broad style play to the whole game, but they have felt really small and empty to me so far. I am not saying I don't like them at all, but I just feel Game Packs are a better experience over all for me.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Don't worry OP. With any luck, the EP team will release a Pets expansion where the Pets are bland, boring and devoid of features, but by God that backdrop for the new Pets world is absolutely stunning and beautiful. Surely then they'll redeem themselves.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member

I like the full flushed out feeling from the game packs ... they have teeth, they have substance.

Ditto! This is exactly why I've been somewhat unsatisfied with the Expansion Packs. They have always felt like, "Gee, neat ideas. Too bad they weren't developed to their full potential." There are things I like about the Expansion Packs, but I've always felt a little frustrated with them, like they're missing something. To this day I'm still irked about the grind fest for the active careers, especially the doctor career. If I had my way, it would be redone so that the other medical staff would do their jobs like they do in RL and the whole thing would be more realistic. Get Together has ended up being my favorite Expansion Pack too (funny considering how unhappy I was when it was first announced), I just wish they'd give us a wee bit more flexibility and options with the clubs. But the Game Packs, I've overall enjoyed them much more. I've always felt like I got my money's worth out of them. I am really looking forward to Parenthood, and I can't wait to see what other Game Packs they have planned.
  • Options
    SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    It's kind of hard to decide which I prefer.

I feel, for the most part, I've enjoyed the content of GPs more in general, but I don't use them as often as what we've gotten in the EPs. Outdoor Retreat, Spa Day, and Dine Out have mostly just been about having different locations to visit and do things, while Vampires is more of a one save/gameplay gimmick kind-of thing. I do enjoy them, especially Vampires, which was a huge surprise to me. They did a great job with vampires in this game, especially since I never cared for them in the past.

On the other hand, I tend to incorporate more of what the EPs have to offer in most of my saves/gameplays, minus Get to Work. I almost always have my Sims in at least one club, love visiting Windenburg, use a lot of what City Life has to offer, etc.

This new GP, to me, feels like the first one that I can actually incorporate heavily into all of my saves naturally, which is why I'm pretty excited for it. It's not just a new lot type or Vampire state that I would only have one save for. It's actually something that will be used every time there's a child in any of my saves.
  • Options
    JimedJimed Posts: 692 Member
    For the most part for me the GPs seem to be better to me, but I do like the additions of the apartments in City Living and the extra careers in Get to Work.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I like EPs for their bits of variety, but I prefer GPs which of course are more fleshed out having a main focus, and if they changed it to selling worlds cheaply so we could choose what we want to have and gave us more GPs with the the SPs I wouldn't care one bit. As it is if Seasons, University and Pets were all GPs I'm sure they'd be done better that way but who knows.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    mctsimmermctsimmer Posts: 277 Member
    I like the EPs and the GPs make it a complete game. With us now playing the game in 2017, the gurus got a lot of things right, but a few things still need to be fix in the game. The EPs put too much in one punch and sometime miss their goal. The GPs give them a chance to focus on one subject and fully develop the theme. I would accept more GPs, if it meant a better product. The game development in 2017 with everything added this year makes me believe this is the best year. I can't wait to see what they do next. I think GPs are the way to go to get the game to be the best version since the beginning of the Sims franchise.

Get to work: Has too many problems with shop interaction not allowing customers to pay, the detective career gives me the wrong suspect or claims I have to release the suspect after interrogation, because their innocent. The aliens are a complicated situation in that they add a different story line for my families. The abductions are random in the game, but there has never been a male pregnancy. And what do aliens have to do with work. I think the alien life state would have worked better in a standalone GP like the vampires.

Get together: Visually it is incredible. I can organize kid sleepovers and workout clubs, and movie nights for the adults. The club system has allowed me the chance to give my grandparent sims an opportunity to bond with their grandkids for the weekend. For anyone on the fence about buying this pack it will compliment their family play.

City Living: Adds a different layer to the game. The diversity of characters, cultural food, and urban views contrast the country view in Windenburg. I like that neighbors drop by and want to socialize. It's not like the Sims 2 that allowed us to visit without a load screen. I can honestly say that the main problem I have with this EP is the load screen between apartments. Otherwise I would say it is the best EP.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I won't compare them. I've seen many prefer GP over EP, but the truth is without EP our game can't change in major ways like University, Seasons, Pets, something like S3 Island Paradise. I like all of them, but I'm really wandering about the new EP and what all it will contain. :) Right now, I'm downloading Parenthood GP @ 74% and I'm excited to see what it can add. Since we don't seem to get content as fast as we did in S3, I'm glad we have GPs to fill in.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,356 Member
    edited May 2017
    In term of interest :
    1. Game Pack
    2. Expansion Pack
    3. Stuff Pack

Game Packs are the most interesting because they are focused on one theme, the features are complete.

Expansion Packs are interesting because they provide beautiful worlds and several interesting features but also some partial features :
    - Partial alien world : Sixam
    - Partial club system with a limited number of group activities and some activities which can't be autonomously done.
    - Partial apartment system without roommates and no usable elevator for outside San Myshuno

If the Apartment theme was a Game Pack, I'm sure we would get fully functional apartments with all the required features.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Don't worry OP. With any luck, the EP team will release a Pets expansion where the Pets are bland, boring and devoid of features, but by God that backdrop for the new Pets world is absolutely stunning and beautiful. Surely then they'll redeem themselves.
    What is your problem with the game? Do you have anything positive to say about TS4?

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    ledouxjazzledouxjazz Posts: 22 Member
    Honestly after being disappointed by city living, i decided to purchase some GPs and im glad i did. The EPs just havent been worth the money
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited May 2017
    ledouxjazz wrote: »
    Honestly after being disappointed by city living, i decided to purchase some GPs and im glad i did. The EPs just havent been worth the money
    Actually out of all the EP we have so far City Living is my favorite because you can add so many things to the parks now. I really don't like them living in an apartment so I just have them live in houses.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641