Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Given This Game A Few More Months.

I left rather disappointedly about 6 months ago after playing TS4 for a while (you may have seen my slightly exhausted post). I've given the game a few months to improve, and I have to say that I'm far more pleased with the way the game has gone.

The Sims 4 has taken a while (a long, long while) to become a game worthy of the 'Sims' name, but I feel that it has finally improved to a point where it can. The past few months have been excellent, with Toddlers (inexcusable to have waited this long, but they are far better than they've ever been before), Vampires, a community Stuff Pack vote AND a Generations-styled GP. TS4 was hurt from day 1, and its foundation will stop it from becoming any better than TS2 or TS3, but it is now a fine Sims game.

Comments

• Options
    Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but for me, I liked it right out of the gate more than I ever liked 3 in all the years I played it.

And I find that it's bringing back more of a S2 style in an updated S4 kind of way.

It is my favorite of the series.

The game just feels small, and I still can't work out why. I like 3 because of the sheer volume of content it has associated with it. TS2 has less content, but all the content it does have is brilliantly made. In 4, the only packs that are at the quality of TS2 are Spa Day, Dine Out and to a lesser extent Get Together. Toddlers were done better than any of the games before.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    well for me sims4 is the best and i stop playing the sims2 sims3 a long time ago for me the sims4 is the best game ever
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    FalyniosFalynios Posts: 298 Member
    i already think of it as a better game than ts3 lmao
    maybe not ts2 tho
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but for me, I liked it right out of the gate more than I ever liked 3 in all the years I played it.

And I find that it's bringing back more of a S2 style in an updated S4 kind of way.

well said. This is exactly how I feel.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    kokoro80kokoro80 Posts: 651 Member

I couldn't agree with you more.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    It has certainly improved for a lot of people over the past few months. I've enjoyed the game since day one, but the lack of toddlers always stopped me from fully being absorbed in it. I'm very happy with the way they were handled.

There will always be things that stop me from being fully happy with it, though. It's certainly not the game I expected TS4 to be, and TS2 did so many things better almost a decade ago. For these reasons, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to call it my favourite Sims game.
  • Options
    AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    edited May 2017
    This game has to be my best one, it would be TS3 if it was totally fine with playing on my computer. It's got nearly everything I could want, apart from a couple of features though.
  • Options
    butterflyxgirlbutterflyxgirl Posts: 427 Member
    I have always liked TS4, but had fallen out of love with it for a bit and am now finding myself drawn back to it. Like others have said, everyone has their own opinions. I've been happy with all iterations of the game I've played. Still love TS2 though, so I'm liking what they've done with this one.
  • Options
    BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member

Thank you. Because I agree with this. The sims 4 is my favorite sims game. Im very protective over it. But I know we all have our preferences.But I think now, that things will turn around for the better in the future :)
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    The game just feels small, and I still can't work out why. I like 3 because of the sheer volume of content it has associated with it.

Not sure if volume of content is a fair comparison. TS3 released its last pack over 4 years after launch. This game isn't even 3 years away from launch yet. So obviously TS3 should have the volume edge as far as content.....for now.
  • Options
    rinre33rinre33 Posts: 697 Member
    I do think it depends, as other have already mentioned above. Personally I only ever played Ts3 on my friends computer and never owned my own copy, but I have bought Ts4 upon release. Since then I got all the expansions, game packs, and a few stuff packs. I prefer it. I think because I spend so much more time in cas and build and buy (my favourite aspects of the game) it's just more suited to me. The game play is simpler but again I think for me it rooms more smoothly and I like it. I do have to agree though, that if it wasn't for the paid content it would be pretty lacking in comparison.
    Super excited for the new game pack
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

The game just feels small, and I still can't work out why. I like 3 because of the sheer volume of content it has associated with it. TS2 has less content, but all the content it does have is brilliantly made. In 4, the only packs that are at the quality of TS2 are Spa Day, Dine Out and to a lesser extent Get Together. Toddlers were done better than any of the games before.

I feel like it feels bigger somehow. In 3, I was confined to one world ( aside from WA worlds) Same festival lot, same seasonal events, same, same, same. I like going to the different neighbourhoods, and even moving sims to a new one for a change of scenery. I like that the country karaoke bar in OS fits, while the feel of a pub with darts and fooseball in Windenberg allows for a different vibe altogether.

Volume of content doesn't necessarily make it better. Not when you compare watching a building like the Bistro vs going right inside and getting the much fuller dining experience.

For me, there's just so much more to like about S4.
  • Options
    lyralyra Posts: 420 Member
    edited May 2017
    I think the game definitely grew into its own. It was devoid of basic content in the beginning, (pools, basements, toddlers, etc) but I feel like they tried really hard to add stuff back in, and not only that but do a thorough job of it (toddlers, imo, are the best ones of the series). There are some creative directions that I disagree with, like the influx of stuff packs and over-focus on the YA stage (which they seem to be moving away from), but with the GPs/expansions I think they are trying for more fleshed out gameplay. I'm especially optimistic about the Parenthood pack.

TS2 is still my favorite game of the series, I don't think any of the Sims games can match it in terms of gameplay - quirky, fun and deep. I never liked TS3 that much, I know a lot of people love it, but the open world and more 'surface level gameplay' never did it for me. I also never liked the open world that much, I much prefer the mini-neighborhood style of TS4. The open world in TS3 was huge but it wasn't deep at all and often felt quite empty, whereas TS4's neighborhoods feel more vibrant. I think TS4 is a good mix of the two games now that it's a little more fleshed out.
  • Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    I agree with you and I know where you're coming from. Even though I was really happy about toddlers being added and how great they ended up being, it still feels like this game is missing so much stuff. I played TS2 and TS3 a lot even before things like Pets, Seasons, University, etc. got added, and I had loads of fun, even with just the base game. But for some reason, I can't have fun with TS4 yet, at least not for more than a few hours because the things that are still missing really start to bug me. I think it's because with TS2/TS3 there was so much new stuff to enjoy that we didn't have in previous games, so the base games alone kept me entertained and distracted until the EPs started to come in. I feel like this is not the case with TS4 because there's nothing really new and exclusive that we didn't have in previous games already. At least to some extent, like multitasking and emotions, they were always there but they were hidden and more subtle. And even then, those things aren't as impressive and addictive as what we got with TS2 (the whole aging up thing, new lifestages, families, etc.) and TS3 (huge open worlds to explore), at least in my opinion. So I think the missing content is more noticeable with TS4 for that reason. It can't really hide behind a huge new feature like TS2 and TS3 could, while we wait for all that content that we grew used to in previous games to be added.

So yeah, I'm also giving this game at least a few more months. I think that once it reaches the end of its lifespan and it has all packs and patches out, TS4 will be a good game, specially if the next packs are as good as toddlers and the new family GP (at least I'm loving what I'm seeing so far). If the next EP is Pets, I might give it another chance.
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    I have also been fairly disappointed with this game since it's release. I found it uninteresting and tough for me to play for long periods of time just because it did not pull me in like any of the previous sims games.

I have a lot of good memories of playing both Sims 1 and Sims 2. I enjoyed Sims 3 at the end and there are things about it I love, but it didn't grab me immediately like 1 and 2 did. It also has a number of issues such as my saves always being corrupted after a few generations of legacy play.

Sims 4 has always been superior with CAS. That's probably the one thing that kept me from throwing in the towel. And once toddlers arrived in January this year, the game finally turned a corner for me. I now enjoy it quite a bit. I feel that by the end of its run, it may very well be my favourite (next to the original. Because maybe Sims 1 wasn't perfect, but it started the obsession for me so I can never forget it).

I really cannot wait for Tuesday's release of Parenthood. And from there, my outlook is much better! I just hope a few of the more frustrating time related bugs and glitches get ironed out. But in all, the Sims 4 is now a solid game in the series from my perspective.
  • Options
    FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    Agreed, it's kind of still lacking.. and tbh without CC I would not be playing it at all. I think we need more expansion packs by now. As soon as we get seasons and pets I'll be happy and they can do w.e they want with the rest haha. I think more vacation areas need to be added as well, or a pack for that.. but progress is slow. I found myself going back to TS2 lately and I had so much fun, and I'm currently getting CC for Sims 3.. so I'm playing all of them at the moment and TS4 would not be playable if not for my family which I'm glued to.
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
  • Options
    ponderosaponderosa Posts: 238 Member

I feel like it feels bigger somehow. In 3, I was confined to one world ( aside from WA worlds) Same festival lot, same seasonal events, same, same, same. I like going to the different neighbourhoods, and even moving sims to a new one for a change of scenery. I like that the country karaoke bar in OS fits, while the feel of a pub with darts and fooseball in Windenberg allows for a different vibe altogether.

Volume of content doesn't necessarily make it better. Not when you compare watching a building like the Bistro vs going right inside and getting the much fuller dining experience.

For me, there's just so much more to like about S4.

This is exactly how I feel. I wouldn't mind having more lots, but the world feels so much larger to me than it ever did in TS3. I'm a generational player and I've been able to tell so many stories in a way I couldn't in previous games. I love being able to play one generation in the suburbs and then move my artsy child into the city. TS4 feels so much more open despite not having open world. TS2 will always be my favorite sims game, but I love the way TS4 has given me a TS2 feel in it's own way.
    tumblr_opta4zrh011r17qi5o1_500.gif
    origin ID: maureenponderosa
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2017
    I catch myself having given up, even though I agree with you, OP, that it has improved a lot over the years now. But even though the best feature so far - toddlers - were free, that meant having to spend a lot of money. I'm not going to do that, enough is enough. And I totally understand the same goes for Sims 3 for others, but that had a lot to do with preferences, playstyle. Sims 4 has been an empty shell for too long, depending on all the things they have added. Kaching, not doing it anymore.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    edited May 2017
    I still don't know if TS4 will ever be 'worthy', though I do like the game quite a bit.

Vampires, while fun, kind of gets old. But I love the quality of the GP in general. I will revisit it every now and then, especially around the fall weather and Halloween. I thought DO was a really great pack as well ... it was the first time where I was legitimately impressed by the design of a GP system. Vampires definitely added on to that. It was the first pack with a world that I moved my Sims into.

The bowling stuff pack is kind of lame. I still haven't bought it, but we'll see.

I'm really excited for the parenting GP. It's totally adding to core gameplay, and I love it. It will always be used in my game. I'm still waiting for University though ... I remember TS2's University blew me away and was really fun. But I think the new GP is going to be a really great addition, and probably the first addition that adds to the integrity of the core game play. I also love that they put in more extensive gameplay for children/toddlers/teens.

Something I've been struggling to accept with TS4 is that the GP's are better than the EP's. I'm sorry, but CL was a dud. I don't really like it at all. The whole "festivals" thing was kind of wack ... GTW was also lame. It had so much potential but ultimately fell flat. I actually kinda liked GT though. I thought the club system was interesting. But at the same time, the pack didn't really make much sense. I still don't really get it.

I want EP's to add fulfilling content. While I'm impressed with the last few GP's, I'm still waiting for an amazing EP, because GP's aren't as cohesive as EP's, and they don't have enough weight (though the most recent GP looks like it will actually be a great addition). If EP's are going to suffer, they should just cut out SP's, or at least lower the dang frequency of SP's. Seriously. I would rather have more well-made systems than more stuff. And although we've gotten some great updates, it would be even amazing if they could iron out some of the bugs and glitches with routing and stuff.

And the world map is still ugly and annoying. I wish they just created 2-3 concepts for a new design and had us vote on it so that they weren't wasting their time with something as equally ugly as the one that we have now. I wanted it to be lively. At least give us the impression that the whole world is active and full of life. I hate that the world map is just a poorly designed static picture.

Oh look, a boat ... and random highlighted "roads" ... some ugly looking trees and greyed out buildings...

Not saying that TS4 is unplayable, especially not because of the world map, but it is an average Sims game to me.
    Origin ID: Derpiez
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    Sims 4, while having managed to overcome a lot of its shortcomings upon release, still feels lackluster, redundant and to me devoid of any meaningful fun. Sims 1,2 and 3 grabbed my attention immediately but 4 is the sour taste of a company being rushed and frugal at the expense of design.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I feel like the game is missing a lot too, but I feel like it's missing in the same way that things were missing from Sims 3 at the start, and it didn't feel like a complete game until much later.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Truthfully, I don't care if someone prefers the sims 3 , or the sims 4, but usually the people who prefer sims 3 , dont stop there. Many of them feel the need to downtalk sims 4.And that is where my problem lies.
  • Options
    KuroiKuroi Posts: 137 Member
    Welcome to the club, I bought the Sims 4 on it's release day and couldn't get into it until this year. Before I was only playing the Sims 2 (never tried Sims 3).

And now I love part 4 almost as much as part 2. The only things I'm still missing are my Harry Potter characters, this means: a University EP and witches and magic. But regarding this I'm quite optimistic. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.