Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The 5/25 Patch's New Method of Saving

At the moment, the new way of saving via Save As seems LESS intuitive, not more so.

The pictures are a nice, but the fact that the number names it chooses don't even match up to the actual save number is very confusing. And when I try to save over a current save, the name I gave it before gets lost and a random number that doesn't match it's actual save file number gets chosen. I like keeping those two the same so that I know what I'm looking at in game and out.

I can learn to work with it on my desktop computer where I regularly flip between about three saves, but I allowed my daughter to make a save on my laptop (where I keep the mods and custom content minimal) and I foresee problems. Where she was very comfortable with the previous system, I can easily see her overwriting the wrong files and destroying either my or her work with the way it seems to function now. I'll have to tell her to let me save from now on when she's ready to quit.

Could a SimGuru give us a few details about the new Saving options to clarify the best way to use them?

And why Save As doesn't seem to remember the save name we gave it when you choose to overwrite a previous file?
tCTe03l.png

Comments

• Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    hrmmm eek. I haven't really taken a look at how it works yet but what you described doesn't really work for me either. Right now, I am sticking to one save which is probably for the best.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    me i love the new save system much easyer to read or find the family you went to play
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    BooV7227BooV7227 Posts: 282 Member
    edited May 2017
    I'm glad for you friendlysimmer, but I still have a few questions.

@SimGuruNick could you give us any more information about this?

Otherwise I guess I'll just copy my saves folder to the desktop and experiment with it in game until I know what not to do... :p;)
    Post edited by BooV7227 on
    tCTe03l.png
  • Options
    FalyniosFalynios Posts: 298 Member
    i'm more confused by what the problem is than anything xD
    do you use "save as" everytime you save your game? cuz otherwise I don't see how there would be any risk of overwriting anything.
  • Options
    Maybe @SimGuruNick would know or @rosemow
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

• Options
    elishaknightelishaknight Posts: 12 New Member
    Help i cannot buy or try on clothes at the retail locations. and yes i tried the game without cc or mods. and i did reset my game. :)
  • Options
    tagging @rosemow who might have an answer to your problem

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Falynios wrote: »
    i'm more confused by what the problem is than anything xD
    do you use "save as" everytime you save your game? cuz otherwise I don't see how there would be any risk of overwriting anything.

Yes I do, because I keep three different saves, and I like to make sure that I know to which one it is saving.
    Previously, the save 01 had a chance of corrupting your saves if you switch between different saves regularly, so I just worked around it with Save As and directly overwrote the one I wanted to update. Since it looks like the save 01/autosave has been removed for now, that's no longer a problem, but I wanted to make sure I knew how this new setup was going to work with my multiple save situation.

After checking it out on the laptop, it makes more sense than it did at first, but I'll still have to fiddle with it.
    tCTe03l.png
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited May 2017
    I hope I'm understanding the question right, but the only difference seems to be that clicking "Save As" will default to creating a new save file instead of automatically overwriting the last one. If you want to overwrite the save you're playing, you just click the one to the right of it.
    There shouldn't be any risk in overwriting saves this way, at worst you'll end up with an extra save.
    rAWQM43.png
    uR3eGoH.png
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Help i cannot buy or try on clothes at the retail locations. and yes i tried the game without cc or mods. and i did reset my game. :)
    Hello
    Try going into build mode on the store lot,and make sure that there is a cash register in the store. If there isn't, place one there, them test to see if the issues remain. If there is one there, delete the mannequin and get a new one. Design the outfits and then see if the issues remain.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I hope I'm understanding the question right, but the only difference seems to be that clicking "Save As" will default to creating a new save file instead of automatically overwriting the last one. If you want to overwrite the save you're playing, you just click the one to the right of it.
    There shouldn't be any risk in overwriting saves this way, at worst you'll end up with an extra save.

Right. But when I click on the one I want to overwrite (that already has a distinct name), even though the saving-of-information goes smoothly and correctly, it looks like it renames my save to that generic "My Saved Game 12" rather than the "Save4-SimsCountyGen3" that I originally named it. Unless I re-enter the name in the top line every single time I save. My world is safely stored, but it loses its name in the process, where it remembered it just fine with the old way.

I was wondering if this was intentional, or a small oversight.
    tCTe03l.png
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    BooV7227 wrote: »

Right. But when I click on the one I want to overwrite (that already has a distinct name), even though the saving-of-information goes smoothly and correctly, it looks like it renames my save to that generic "My Saved Game 12" rather than the "Save4-SimsCountyGen3" that I originally named it. Unless I re-enter the name in the top line every single time I save. My world is safely stored, but it loses its name in the process, where it remembered it just fine with the old way.

Oh okay, I see what you mean
    I would guess it to be an oversight unfortunately. Hopefully they get around to fixing it.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    edited May 2017
    I missed those pictures from sims 3 and often had a hard time remember which was which. I do much better with this. I save as the first time, then just hit save the other times and figure it'll save in the right place. Haven't tested it yet though. I will now.

ETA: It does seem to save the name you named/renamed it if you choose save as first, change the name to whatever you wanted and then just press save the rest of the time. It does not create a new save and it keeps the name.
  • Options
    Superkam64Superkam64 Posts: 209 Member
    I'm so happy someone else noticed this, I really don't like how you have to re-type the save name everytime you use 'save as'. On top of that, when you use the 'save' option, it saves over whatever game was played most recently.

To clarify, if I had 3 save games, 'game1', 'game2', and 'game3', game1 being played most recently. If I open up game3 and just push 'save', it automatically saves on top of game1. In the end, game1 is overwritten by a newer game3 and I'm left with two game3s, one game2. This has also been a problem for me before this patch. The good thing is because of the new menu, you're able to easily recover the overwritten game, though I wish I didn't have to use this feature so much.
  • Options
    FredcatFredcat Posts: 52 Member
    I don't like it. The old system I could see the save name (I usually use family name followed by a number), save number, and date last played at a glance in a nice list. Now I have to mouse over all the saves for this same information. It makes it more of a pain to delete old saves, I don't see how this change is an improvement. I wish we had view options like in Windows, I always prefer the details view over less informative icons.
  • Options
    itasan2itasan2 Posts: 31 Member
    > @Fredcat said:
    > I don't like it. The old system I could see the save name (I usually use family name followed by a number), save number, and date last played at a glance in a nice list. Now I have to mouse over all the saves for this same information. It makes it more of a pain to delete old saves, I don't see how this change is an improvement. I wish we had view options like in Windows, I always prefer the details view over less informative icons.

Exactly! Even if I see all save thumbnails, I don't know which is the save I want to load because I can't see the save name at once. For the players who don't do the rotation-play, most of the save thumbnails are the same, I guess :). I want to see the save names and the save thumbnails at once.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    edited May 2017
    This has me confused, too. I haven't had much time to play these past couple of days. And, it's looking like no game play today, as grandson is having a birthday party. Son just asked if we were coming. I said, I wasn't invited so I don't know. He said, of course you and dad are invited. So, it looks as if we're going. :)

I know we had pictures in Sims3, but when you hover over them it gives the game save name. This one does, too, but my cc was removed, so my pictures show my family as half-naked. I do the Save As, since it allegedly resets the save. Once that's done I simply Save as things progress. I do have names for each save, plus a number 1, 1a, 1b, 2, 2a, 2b. I only keep the newest three saves, in case a roll-back is necessary. If it's not going to give the correct name, why bother?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    ReitannaReitanna Posts: 294 Member
    I haven't had any problems saving, but I have noticed a few funky things with buttons, like in CAS, the "done" and "cancel" button at the bottom right hand screen are gender icons.... CC swatches are covered by question marks, the cameras seem a bit different, and I dunno, it's just kinda weird. lol I don't like change!
    I'm so old, I remember when "hashtags" were called POUND SIGNS.

K7ZEXAi.png
  • Options
    HansenHansen Posts: 22 Member
    I also want to know how to save with selected names that stay there for example. "My Family 1" instead of my save game1, 2.3 etc all saved names disappear and get a number, very annoying and confusing.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Reitanna wrote: »
    I haven't had any problems saving, but I have noticed a few funky things with buttons, like in CAS, the "done" and "cancel" button at the bottom right hand screen are gender icons.... CC swatches are covered by question marks, the cameras seem a bit different, and I dunno, it's just kinda weird. lol I don't like change!

That sounds like you've got at least one outdated mod.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

Exactly this. I keep having to re-write the name of the save because the game reverts it to saved game # __

I'm not liking that at all. It makes it very confusing. I have several saves of the same game, ( named slightly differently ex- City. C1, C2) I do this in case of corruption in one for back up.

I hope they fix it so that the name of the game actually sticks instead of using a new number each time.
  • Options
    HelenPoxonHelenPoxon Posts: 18 Member
    This

> @BooV7227 said:

> Right. But when I click on the one I want to overwrite (that already has a distinct name), even though the saving-of-information goes smoothly and correctly, it looks like it renames my save to that generic "My Saved Game 12" rather than the "Save4-SimsCountyGen3" that I originally named it. Unless I re-enter the name in the top line every single time I save. My world is safely stored, but it loses its name in the process, where it remembered it just fine with the old way.
    >
    > I was wondering if this was intentional, or a small oversight.

and this

> @itasan2 said:
    > > @Fredcat said:
    > > I don't like it. The old system I could see the save name (I usually use family name followed by a number), save number, and date last played at a glance in a nice list. Now I have to mouse over all the saves for this same information. It makes it more of a pain to delete old saves, I don't see how this change is an improvement. I wish we had view options like in Windows, I always prefer the details view over less informative icons.
    >
    > Exactly! Even if I see all save thumbnails, I don't know which is the save I want to load because I can't see the save name at once. For the players who don't do the rotation-play, most of the save thumbnails are the same, I guess :). I want to see the save names and the save thumbnails at once.

are the changes I am less keen on. I would much prefer a list with a thumbnail and written description per save, and that when I choose 'Save As' and pick a file it keeps the current name.

I do like the added details of the save path and file name in the description, it makes it much easier to work with the saves in file manager (to back them up for example).
  • Options
    EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    @BooV7227 I agree the new system is good (thumbnail of family) and bad (unique save names gone).
    Just saying to us "hey look at this shiny new save system" and not really explaining it has many of us shaking our heads. The pictures posted by @CyrusTheLoser are a good example of how this is confusing.
    Yes it looks like the default is a new game. The very top is the game you are actively playing. Though it is labeled "My Saved Game 36" this is where you can give it a unique name .... again... *Sigh*
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    So I just went in to game. Instead of my options being The City with the Prados, as last played or C2 with the Prado's as last played, my options were my last save 16 with Grossman as last played, or my saved game 15 with the Prados as last played.

I had to look at the times of the saves to make sure I was opening up the most recent played last night at midnight.

I haven't even played Grossman in months! I feel like this definitely needs to be fixed and very quickly. I play a lot of big saves and I don't want them getting mixed up because the format can't keep the names straight!

It was better the other way.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    edited May 2017

This is exactly the issue I am also having with the new system. I have currently about 9 saved games I rotate through and the auto-renaming when using Save-as is really confusing. @SimGuruNick

Edited to add some more details in about the issue:

Saving Issues:

If you use Save, it overwrites your previous save, even if that save was a different game save.

For example, if I have two saves called House3 and Kaiden08. Load House 3, save it. All is good. But then use Save to Save Kaiden's game, it will overwrite my House3 save. - Therefore loosing my House3 game save.

When I use Save As to save either of these games, it works. (Doesn't overwrite the files) But they don't keep their unique name even if I'm saving over Kaiden08. It gives a a generic name such as My Saved Game 4 and will have to rename it it's unique name.

Yes, we could use the recover a save, to "fix" it. But we'd still have the need to use Save As and rename it. - Players shouldn't have to take note of their saves unique names and then copy/paste them into the name fields when trying to save their current game.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.