Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The 5/25 Patch's New Method of Saving

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    BooV7227BooV7227 Posts: 282 Member
    edited June 2017
    @Simberella777 please let us know if that helps or not!

@SimGuruNick said he made a note of the issues, but if we have something proven to help people with their older saves that would be great. At the moment it's more like a strong theory. =/
    tCTe03l.png
  • Options
    Julia67Julia67 Posts: 9 New Member
    A Alien update

I understand that one of the reasons it's now harder to be abducted by aliens now is because of the complaints of being abducted to often, while some got abducted every few days and others not at all. The satellite dish is suppose to make it easier to contact aliens but now their so rare and you can still play for hours and hours, (real world not sim world :sunglasses: ) without getting a single abduction, would it be possible to add a setting where you could choose between more frequent chances of alien abductions and how it is now.

Also the experience of being abducted, possibly probed, and the many interactions with Aliens are amazing and exciting! :smiley: In the future could their be even more options, for example when your abducted maybe you we're experimented on and given an alien power, or a weird feature like fangs or tail temporarily, just to add variation. Also having teenagers being able to be abducted (of course not being probed) but an action like learn alien knowledge, dream of alien encounter, and things like that afterwards. Even adding features to aliens themselves for example when clicking on a bed having the option to woohoo, try for baby, or probe

Sims is amazing, and the updates never cease to amaze, hopefully one day an alien update can be included to make it an even cooler part of the game
  • Options
    Sorry couldn't figure out where to repost a quest like this but I'll keep looking and if I find one I'll move
  • Options
    Sorry I can't find a way to take this post down, I moved it to the correct place! :sweat:
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited June 2017
    @BooV7227

Thank you..

I can take a a pic of my documents/games with a third party screenshot program but when I go into my sims 4 and click on load games I do get the pics of my saved games but cannot take a screenshot either by my third party program or by pressing C as I would to take a screenshot in game. I just tried again and no go I am afraid so I am not sure what's going on there..

Oh I think I understand now how you are identifying the the saved games in your saves folder using the info from your saved games. wow light bulb moment lol

How many files constitute one game in the saves folder 1 or more? and what does a slot save mean as apposed to a ver save? are the ver saves the save as?

I tried to take a screen shot with my 3rd party screenshot program to show you what I mean in my saves folder and that's not working now either and I don't have time now until this afternoon to try work out why.

Also you stated in another post you can also make the save as game into the game that automatically loads when clicking on the big button.. You say that clicking save as for a game auto moves that game to the front of the list so the game considers this to be the current save and you just hit the save button for the rest of your game session and it will not overwrite your legacy game using that as an example. This I do not fully understand so just to be sure I am playing the right game if I save as and then go back into game next time it will auto play that saved game when clicking on the big button as if so I think I will avoid clicking save as again then as I would find that totally confusing :)

Imigur is not working for me now either I am so fed up with whats happening with screenshots and not being able to upload anything right now >:)

Post edited by SPARKY1922 on
  • Options
    GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited June 2017
    The Slot_...2.save is the latest version of the save on the named slot, the Slot_...2.save.ver0/1/ are older versions of that save.
    If you choose 'save as' a new slot number will be used.
  • Options
    @Moderator_Gagea

Thank you now I understand that off I go to make more sense of my save folder :)
  • Options
    Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    Hi @BooV7227 Just getting back to update on my results. I resaved all my previous game saves (using 'Save') hoping the new save format would stop the game from using older save games (already used slot #'s) to overwrite instead of making a 'New Save Game' when using 'Save As'. Although in theory it sounds good, sadly it didn't make a difference. I'm still randomly getting overwrites of older games instead of a new save.
  • Options
    @Simberella777

ooh dear and I thought it was all working okay now especially as I had got my head around the idea of using the save instead of the save as so I did not make any more confusing mistakes.. so far using the big button to load my game then play and click save when leaving my session has been working for me but at the moment I am on a new folder so I don't have many saves. I really hope this can be sorted out for everybody's sake as it's really disheartening.
  • Options
    Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    @SPARKY1922 There isn't a problem using save. I resaved all my older saves using it and it worked perfectly. It's when using 'save as' that gives me a problem. As long as you use save, you should be just fine. Didn't mean to worry you there!
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,672 Member
    @SPARKY1922 There isn't a problem using save. I resaved all my older saves using it and it worked perfectly. It's when using 'save as' that gives me a problem. As long as you use save, you should be just fine. Didn't mean to worry you there!

That's the only way I've found it to work, too.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    @Simberella777 and @February11

Thank you both I cannot understand why my brain is so dim on this one subject :)
  • Options
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @Simberella777 and @February11

Thank you both I cannot understand why my brain is so dim on this one subject :)

You're not being dim at all. A system that should work simply just isn't, when before it did. It's been trial and error.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    @February11

Thank you, you are very kind :)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @February11

Thank you, you are very kind :)

Hope you feel more comfortable with just a save now - until they give us another patch and screw it all up again! :#
    ETA - which they will do as they'll want to fix it, so fingers crossed it'll be a positive. Meantime, save your saves each time you finish playing, to an external device, just in case!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    BooV7227BooV7227 Posts: 282 Member
    Hi @BooV7227 Just getting back to update on my results. I resaved all my previous game saves (using 'Save') hoping the new save format would stop the game from using older save games (already used slot #'s) to overwrite instead of making a 'New Save Game' when using 'Save As'. Although in theory it sounds good, sadly it didn't make a difference. I'm still randomly getting overwrites of older games instead of a new save.

Thank you for letting us know, hopefully they sort this out soon =/
    tCTe03l.png
  • Options
    JasonVegaJasonVega Posts: 18 New Member
    > @Simberella777 said:
    > Hi @BooV7227 Just getting back to update on my results. I resaved all my previous game saves (using 'Save') hoping the new save format would stop the game from using older save games (already used slot #'s) to overwrite instead of making a 'New Save Game' when using 'Save As'. Although in theory it sounds good, sadly it didn't make a difference. I'm still randomly getting overwrites of older games instead of a new save.

I created a bug report on this issue: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/quot-Save-As-quot-overwriting-old-save-games/m-p/6132327#M40022

This is a very discouraging problem. I perform incremental saves so that I am (theoretically) never in danger of losing my wold entirely - I can always back up to before things got messed up, the file got corrupter, or even if I made a poor decision with my Sims. Now, when I use the "save as" it randomly overwrites one of those incremental backup files. That completely nullifies my system!

I have tried everything I can think of (except deleting the localthumbcash as has been mentioned in this thread). I have resorted to making a backup of all my save files, "save as" multiple times until it stops overwriting old save files and I get a "clean" copy, then restoring all the saves that got overwritten. It is dangerous and time-consuming.

It seems to me that a simple change in the code that "looks" before "saving" - to make sure that a file is not being overwritten in the target directory - would solve the problem.