Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So is mobile now the priority in sims development overall?

Comments

• Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I thought that everyone familiar with a forum would realise that child boards are actually sub-forums of the parental forum sections.
    Anyhow that aside, I just wanted to ask @SimGuruDrake if the World Builder section of TS3 Creative Corner is going to be merged from the CAW section that has been left in Game Tools or something. I went looking for threads this morning not realising that they were still in the old section rather than the new one.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    I thought that everyone familiar with a forum would realise that child boards are actually sub-forums of the parental forum sections.
    Anyhow that aside, I just wanted to ask @SimGuruDrake if the World Builder section of TS3 Creative Corner is going to be merged from the CAW section that has been left in Game Tools or something. I went looking for threads this morning not realising that they were still in the old section rather than the new one.

don't really care that much about how boards are called myself. My only pet peeve with this is that you can not see what's inside a child-board and often it will have a sub-board that you will not realize it has, unless you're an old member or you memorize the layout. It would not be too bad if there was a way to list the sub-boards inside child-boards, but currently new design is less user friendly.
  • Options
    I should think that the titles of each child board speak quite plainly for themselves, it isn't like they're titled in a way that no one would know what they are.
    I think Feedback easily communicates what is in there. The same with General Discussion or Creative corner.
    I don't see how it's possible that anyone could miss what they actually are.
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    Pary wrote: »
    I should think that the titles of each child board speak quite plainly for themselves, it isn't like they're titled in a way that no one would know what they are.
    I think Feedback easily communicates what is in there. The same with General Discussion or Creative corner.
    I don't see how it's possible that anyone could miss what they actually are.

oooh, I'm seeing some changes! Feedback used to be under "General". It's actually much clearer now :)
  • Options
    ValoisFulcanelliValoisFulcanelli Posts: 672 Member
    edited May 2017
    Apparently, forum users were requesting this update and they are really excited about it. I agree with your ease of use comments and was annoyed with how arbitrary the update seemed, but I saw other posters were thanking the forum front-end devs for this update. So EA was listening... just not to us since we weren't complaining :joy:
    The main group of people who are super-happy about this update are the Sims 3 players, like me, who have basically just got their 'home' back.

When Sims 4 was released and the forums were revamped, Sims 2 had its own dedicated Creative Corner, Sims 4 had its own dedicated Creative Corner and Stories and Legacies forum, and Sims 3 lost all of that. Sims 3 players who wanted to promote and discuss their creative work ended up merged in a non-game-specific general Creative Corner forum, which was soon filled with Sims 4 stories (despite the fact that Sims 4 already had its own section for those). This made it really difficult for us to find Sims 3-only stories. Essentially, we lost our home.

We've been asking and asking, for months, for a Sims 3 Creative Corner and/or Stories and Legacies section, and now we have it. So yes, we were - in a way - complaining... because we had something to complain about: we had nowhere at all to go that was just for us, unlike everyone else who had their own sections at the time.

I agree that a general space for non-game-specific creative threads would be a great idea. I would hate to lose Mastress's fantastic Stories and Legacies Index, and there are many, many other threads that focus purely on general aspects of creativity - be they writing advice or short story competitions, lists of challenges or reading circles - and that are welcoming of all Sims games. These threads don't fit into any of the game-specific forums anymore, and an overarching 'General Creative Corner' would be a welcome place for all of those things.
    tfb.jpg
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    > @SimGuruDrake said:
    > mirta000 wrote: »
    >
    > oh and @SimGuruDrake in case this is the only thread you frequent, how come King_Of_Simcity is at - 2 million points, considered a new member and unable to get help for 2 days now? :D
    >
    > http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/profile/king_of_simcity7
    >
    > he said he actively sought help from support even and he did not get a single answer.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I am actively working on figuring out what is going on with his account. It's definitely an oddity and hasn't occurred for anyone else to my knowledge.

Hi, Drake I have only just seen this. Sorry for going on about it but it has been frustrating me like mad!

But hopefully you can sort something out for me soon :)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Jesus Christmas people, they just moved some sub forums around. This all might be a bit of overreaction, no?
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Jesus Christmas people, they just moved some sub forums around. This all might be a bit of overreaction, no?

Agreed.
    Oh my goodness people, it's just a new site layout, not the end of the world.

The Sims Mobile is a new game, so it needs to be accessible to new users. The old layout, with Freeplay waaaaaaaaaaaaay at the bottom, was not an accessible layout. If The Sims Mobile had been plopped into the old forums, that's where it would've gone, because that's the space that was allocated to mobile games.

The Sims 4 is up the top, so it's easy to find. The Sims 3 has equal real estate, because surprise surprise, it's still popular. Plenty of users, on this very board, post nothing but complaints about The Sims 4, and post all the time about why The Sims 3 is (in their opinion) a much better game. And because of all these people who've migrated back to TS3, amazingly TS3 is still a popular game.

Why wouldn't TS3 get an easily-accessed forum when people still play it? Makes perfect sense to me.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2017
    There clearly is something disproportionate going on there. I hope that's just because Mobile is their new toy they want to sell and not that the PC game has become an inferiority in general. I'm fine with it by the way, I can find Sims 3 and I can find Sims 4, that's all I need where the forums are concerned. And I'm glad Sims 3 has its own creative corner back. People sure have been asking for that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    oh and @SimGuruDrake in case this is the only thread you frequent, how come King_Of_Simcity is at - 2 million points, considered a new member and unable to get help for 2 days now? :D

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/profile/king_of_simcity7

he said he actively sought help from support even and he did not get a single answer.

I am actively working on figuring out what is going on with his account. It's definitely an oddity and hasn't occurred for anyone else to my knowledge.

Well, that's good to know. And while on the subject my thread here in forum feedback was about why were some people's points in the minus? It was deleted. As if we aren't allowed to ask such a question. We wanted to know if it was a new way to punish jail players. If not it was very disturbing to think someone could hack a user who could get access and lower their points causing them to drop back down to a new member with no posting access. I don't think I asked anything wrong in that thread and it was deleted. I was just asking why since it's our points. Some people work hard for those more than others.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited May 2017
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

Agreed.

The Sims Mobile is a new game, so it needs to be accessible to new users. The old layout, with Freeplay waaaaaaaaaaaaay at the bottom, was not an accessible layout. If The Sims Mobile had been plopped into the old forums, that's where it would've gone, because that's the space that was allocated to mobile games.

The Sims 4 is up the top, so it's easy to find. The Sims 3 has equal real estate, because surprise surprise, it's still popular. Plenty of users, on this very board, post nothing but complaints about The Sims 4, and post all the time about why The Sims 3 is (in their opinion) a much better game. And because of all these people who've migrated back to TS3, amazingly TS3 is still a popular game.

Why wouldn't TS3 get an easily-accessed forum when people still play it? Makes perfect sense to me.

Umm... news flash: people still play TS2, TS1, and the Sims Medieval, so by your logic.... and while TS2 was killed off, you can still buy TSM because I just bought it myself several months ago :unamused:

THIS is what @SataiDelennn was complaining about. TS2 is not supported by EA, but it was no less popular when TS4 came out than how TS3 is "popular" now... viz., players who don't play the latest game still play the past iteration. When active players of a game are marginalised in this community, they get frustrated. And before there were very few posts in the TS2 forum because it was labelled "Memory Lane" since it was renamed it's gotten more activity from new TS2 players. It would make "perfect sense" to active TS2 players if those forums were easily accessed.

Frankly, who cares about Sims Mobile? Do you see the activity for Freeplay? Sims has always been first and foremost a PC game. This rearrangement is a marketing push because EA already knows that without focus the game might not get a lot of community interest (I'm pretty sure people who are playing mobile games aren't sitting on their PCs talking about them :unamused:)

If TS4 and Sims Mobile got equal real estate then I doubt the OP would have posted since both games are active. But the fact that TS4 got grouped with the other games and considering how the focused game are the ones that are being developed, the cause for concern is not unfounded. That you can't see this point means you're happy with whatever you get... and frankly, that's a great way to live, so keep it up :+1:

And it's not the end of the world... it's called feedback *points to the forum we're posting in* and if you follow the thread, most of the reaction was to the "Oh don't worry, the forums are all the same (except they're not)" reply that @SimGuruDrake first posted. Then we got a more transparent answer: EA will do whatever they want, and regardless of the feedback they aren't going to change anything. For me that's a sufficient reply, for others that merited more feedback. That's kind of how feedback forums work, no?

The only person who expressed concern over a non-issue was the poster who thought 'child boards' meant boards for children. Everyone else here has posted valid feedback--whether you agree with it or not.
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    I had the same immediate reaction about the seeming priority in front page space for sims mobile. But ultimately I know my thoughts are also driven by my dislike of micro transctions games and desire to see the sims in a pic format.

I'm glad to know you are looking into King of sim city issues simguru drake. They are odd.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    It does look much better laid out when looking at the site on my smartphone. I expect I'll get used to it after having a good exploration of it on my laptop to find what is where first!

@SimGuruDrake Thanks for checking out @king_of_simcity7 's problems. Maybe too many posts too fast! o:)
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Agreed.

Umm... news flash: people still play TS2, TS1, and the Sims Medieval, so by your logic.... and while TS2 was killed off, you can still buy TSM because I just bought it myself several months ago :unamused:

THIS is what @SataiDelennn was complaining about. TS2 is not supported by EA, but it was no less popular when TS4 came out than how TS3 is "popular" now... viz., players who don't play the latest game still play the past iteration. When active players of a game are marginalised in this community, they get frustrated. And before there were very few posts in the TS2 forum because it was labelled "Memory Lane" since it was renamed it's gotten more activity from new TS2 players. It would make "perfect sense" to active TS2 players if those forums were easily accessed.

Frankly, who cares about Sims Mobile? Do you see the activity for Freeplay? Sims has always been first and foremost a PC game. This rearrangement is a marketing push because EA already knows that without focus the game might not get a lot of community interest (I'm pretty sure people who are playing mobile games aren't sitting on their PCs talking about them :unamused:)

If TS4 and Sims Mobile got equal real estate then I doubt the OP would have posted since both games are active. But the fact that TS4 got grouped with the other games and considering how the focused game are the ones that are being developed, the cause for concern is not unfounded. That you can't see this point means you're happy with whatever you get... and frankly, that's a great way to live, so keep it up :+1:

And it's not the end of the world... it's called feedback *points to the forum we're posting in* and if you follow the thread, most of the reaction was to the "Oh don't worry, the forums are all the same (except they're not)" reply that @SimGuruDrake first posted. Then we got a more transparent answer: EA will do whatever they want, and regardless of the feedback they aren't going to change anything. For me that's a sufficient reply, for others that merited more feedback. That's kind of how feedback forums work, no?

The only person who expressed concern over a non-issue was the poster who thought 'child boards' meant boards for children. Everyone else here has posted valid feedback--whether you agree with it or not.

You can't seriously think people play TS1 or 2 anywhere near the amount that people play TS3. Or did, 3 years into TS3's lifespan.
    TS3 still dominates easily half the threads on the Sims Subreddit. There's entire tumblr blogs that still churn out TS3 legacies and CC.

When was the last time you heard someone say "TS3 doesn't have seasons, and that's why I still play TS2?"

People have legitimate reasons for sticking with TS3. TS4 had a very poor reception at launch, and only just got toddlers a few months ago. That's why people still play it.

And nobody gives a crap about Medieval. If they had, it would've gotten more than one EP.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options

Agreed.

You can't seriously think people play TS1 or 2 anywhere near the amount that people play TS3. Or did, 3 years into TS3's lifespan.
    TS3 still dominates easily half the threads on the Sims Subreddit. There's entire tumblr blogs that still churn out TS3 legacies and CC.

When was the last time you heard someone say "TS3 doesn't have seasons, and that's why I still play TS2?"

People have legitimate reasons for sticking with TS3. TS4 had a very poor reception at launch, and only just got toddlers a few months ago. That's why people still play it.

And nobody gives a plum about Medieval. If they had, it would've gotten more than one EP.

@kwanzaabot - I can't seriously think that the TS3 community is significant either. That game split the TS2 community which before TS4 was a thriving community, and I'm sure that many players of TS3 moved on to TS4. TS3 is only relevant in the sense that EA still supports it (for now). That is the sole relevancy it has. Your appreciation of game does not negate the fact that it is following the same pattern that TS2 did. Frankly, TS3 is a previous game that some players are still clinging to instead of moving on TS4. I'm telling you all fans do this... I reckon that's why we're fans. "Popular" is subjective. So NO it is not logical in anyway to assume that TS3 should be given any more attention than any other previous game because it's "popular". If the TS2 Tumblr community today were posting here they would overwhelm the TS3 posts that doesn't make the game "popular", but it does mean there is an active community for it. This community marginalises TS2 players so a lot of players just don't participate here (Why would they? EA does not support TS2 any more, and the board is just a courtesy).

Also regardless of your opinion of TSM, it's still sold on Origin. And the forum here is not empty, so I believe that means someone gives a "plum" about Medieval. I don't care about it.

In a year or two from today, Sims Mobile may be the de facto Sims game, TS4 will be the new TS3 in regards to "popularity", and if you're still playing TS3 we'll be in the same section. Please remember your attitude to the TS2 players when you get tossed into "memory lane" and hold your tongue if you're unhappy with that :wink:
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Agreed.

And nobody gives a plum about Medieval. If they had, it would've gotten more than one EP.

@kwanzaabot - I can't seriously think that the TS3 community is significant either. That game split the TS2 community which before TS4 was a thriving community, and I'm sure that many players of TS3 moved on to TS4. TS3 is only relevant in the sense that EA still supports it (for now). That is the sole relevancy it has. Your appreciation of game does not negate the fact that it is following the same pattern that TS2 did. Frankly, TS3 is a previous game that some players are still clinging to instead of moving on TS4. I'm telling you all fans do this... I reckon that's why we're fans. "Popular" is subjective. So NO it is not logical in anyway to assume that TS3 should be given any more attention than any other previous game because it's "popular". If the TS2 Tumblr community today were posting here they would overwhelm the TS3 posts that doesn't make the game "popular", but it does mean there is an active community for it. This community marginalises TS2 players so a lot of players just don't participate here (Why would they? EA does not support TS2 any more, and the board is just a courtesy).

Also regardless of your opinion of TSM, it's still sold on Origin. And the forum here is not empty, so I believe that means someone gives a "plum" about Medieval. I don't care about it.

In a year or two from today, Sims Mobile may be the de facto Sims game, TS4 will be the new TS3 in regards to "popularity", and if you're still playing TS3 we'll be in the same section. Please remember your attitude to the TS2 players when you get tossed into "memory lane" and hold your tongue if you're unhappy with that :wink:

Weren't you just saying how you weren't gonna post on this board any more?

I mean, if you can't see that TS3 still has appeal for a lot of people, and that they deserve an easily-accessed place where they can discuss their game, then there's more nothing to say.

And why should I care about being tossed into memory lane? This isn't the only video game community I'm a part of.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    ValoisFulcanelliValoisFulcanelli Posts: 672 Member
    TS3 is a previous game that some players are still clinging to instead of moving on TS4.
    Well thank you. That's pretty insulting.

I'm not 'clinging to' TS3, and I have zero desire to 'move on' to TS4, as you appear to be suggesting that I should. I strongly dislike the visual style of TS4 - among many other things - and I still love how dark and gritty I can make TS3. I am perfectly happy where I am, will continue playing the game that I want to, and I neither want nor enjoy having people suggesting that I ought to 'move on'.

tfb.jpg
  • Options
    TS3 is a previous game that some players are still clinging to instead of moving on TS4.

I'm quite surprised to read something like this from you.
    I'm still clinging to TS3, like you still cling to TS2, and probably will be for a very long time. I think that the game is worth hanging on to, especially since it has for more to do and is more visually appealing to me than TS4.

As for something mentioned earlier, about people not playing TS2 the amount that people play 3 or 4, TS2 still has a fantastic modding community, and some of the mods that continue to be released really transform that game into something almost entirely new. I have a friend who plays Medieval style, in a rotational hamlet. There are mods for worshipping deities, functional things like town wells, a trading / selling system for self sufficient farming produce, and many many others that make a decade old game into something fresh and new.

Just because the TS2 community doesn't push itself forward, doesn't mean it isn't there and still going strong.

PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options

As a person that owns most of The Sims games, including spin offs that don't even have their own sections anymore, I don't see why this has to be a popularity contest.

TS2 makes it easier for me to achieve rotational play than TS3, I can mod the whole game to a greater extent (because the game is not open world, it's easier to turn it into whatever fantasy era that you want it to be) and I feel like the family play aspect of it is best made out of all 3 games.
    Before you state that this is what TS4 provides.. It's supposed to, but it doesn't. Rotational play in TS4 is really difficult due to relationship decay, iffy family trees and save file decay based on the amount of families you have and the length you have played with them.
    Out of all expansions this game still did University, Apartment life and Open For Business better than any other iteration.

I play TS3 occasionally, because I like the freedom of the open world, it is fun for me to have a lot of children in TS3 and let them develop their own lives with a bit of help from NRAAS. I don't play rotationally, it's more like I pick my favorite and use him/ her to observe what the rest of my family is doing and how their lives are going. After modding the lifespan of supernaturals I also rather enjoy the variety and amount of them, giving me access to amazing levels of genetic diversity. Also out of expansions, no other sims game achieved World Adventures all over again and despite it being left slightly bugged, I still very much like it. That and Pets had Horses and Horses were friggin amazing.

TS4 is... In its current state very frustrating. However I love the look of the game much more than TS3 and it's much newer than TS2. I like how well genetics transfer and toddlers are by far my favorite. However for me the game not only highly lacks meaningful content, but it's also bugged to a point where I can't enjoy it at all. However it still has its own pluses.

Having in mind how diverse and different all the games are, don't you agree that they deserve their own sections? And all sections deserve to be as easily accessible.
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I don't like the new layout as much as the old, but it won't necessarily hurt me. So I'll try to be positive and just hope that my bad feelings about it are wrong.
  • Options
    Mei-Len666Mei-Len666 Posts: 4 New Member
    @SimGuruDrake In The Sims Mobile will I be able to close my game and come back a few days later without my Sims dying? I would like to know if anyone can tell me. Freeplay got a miss for me because my Sims were dead after I fell a sleep and woke up the next day to them dying.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    Mei-Len666 wrote: »
    @SimGuruDrake In The Sims Mobile will I be able to close my game and come back a few days later without my Sims dying? I would like to know if anyone can tell me. Freeplay got a miss for me because my Sims were dead after I fell a sleep and woke up the next day to them dying.

Sims do not die in Freeplay unless you want them to. When they age to seniors you can simply reset them to the previous age level.
  • Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    While I'm not a fan of the new forum design, I'm sure I'll get used to it in time...
    Right now, I'm more interested to know when my TS4 legacy is going to be moved to T4 section and out of TS3 Stories and Legacy section it was finally restored to.

Currently, I'm pretty sure it's not getting noticed by as many TS4 players as it would be if it had been placed in the correct location to begin with. :/
  • Options
    SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member

I'm not 'clinging to' TS3, and I have zero desire to 'move on' to TS4, as you appear to be suggesting that I should. I strongly dislike the visual style of TS4 - among many other things - and I still love how dark and gritty I can make TS3. I am perfectly happy where I am, will continue playing the game that I want to, and I neither want nor enjoy having people suggesting that I ought to 'move on'.

Sorry, but as @nanashi-sims said, you are clinging to TS3. There's nothing wrong with that, and @nanashi-sims never said there was. You said it yourself, you have zero desire to move on to TS4. Ergo, you are clinging to TS3 just as many of us who still play TS2 have no desire to move on to TS3 or TS4. Yes, some have tried them, but ultimately continue to return to TS2. Nothing @nanashi-sims said was insulting. It was simply truth.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

@ValoisFulcanelli - It is not meant to be insulting and there was no suggestion that players move on. I'm sorry if you interpreted my post my that way. Considering that my signature clearly states that I'm a TS2 player and earlier SimGuruDrake pointed out that I was the one who bugged her to display the older boards as standard boards instead of "memory lane" boards, and I have the same strong feelings about TS2 that you have about TS3, it would be kind of weird for me to make such a suggestion.

My argument was to encourage empathy for TS2 players because TS3 players will also need that as well in the future. TS3 is over and regardless of how "popular" a player thinks it is, the only thing that makes it relevant is that it is still being sold and supported. TS3 will go the same way as TS2... and hopefully folks will NOT tell you to move on because nobody cares :smile: I hope that clears things up!

@kwanzaabot
    Weren't you just saying how you weren't gonna post on this board any more?

No. It appears the new board design is too confusing for you keep track of my comments... well, that's rather ironic :smirk: