The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Just when I start feeling good about liking Sims 4...

Comments

• Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Assimulo wrote: »
    He's a funny guy, but remember it's all about whether or not you want something, even if someone else isn't getting it. I really like the Sims 4, and I think it's an improvement in a lot of ways. I don't totally agree with LGR, but I think his reviews are funny and worth watching. You have to ask yourself if you want something anyway regardless of what other people think. It's always good to take things into consideration, but in the end it's about what YOU want.

Another thing that people should keep in mind is some of us don't like the Sims 4. Different taste for different folks. Just because somebody don't like your game don't make them a hater. I started off with Sims 4 but it got boring for me. So I decided to try Sims 3 and I love it. Each game has it faults and bugs. Sure I wish Sims 4 had a lot more in the base game. But I hope that people will respect other opinions on the games they play. All I want is the Simmers to enjoy whatever game they play and have fun. Not to get Sims 3 players verse Sims 4 players.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited March 2017
    At the end of the day, he's a fan. He's not a professional reviewer, he's just a fan.
    He only liked around 4 EP's from The Sims 3, when you watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puMYeBRTsHs

I don't know why people consider him "gospel" when he has very specific taste.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2017
    Brussel sprouts are right up there with broccoli and cauliflower on the "why in the world do we eat this stuff?" list for me. :p
    Vitamins B)

I find it kind of funny by the way people say you could predict what LGR would say, the package being 'terrible, unenjoyable and not worth the time'. He doesn't even say that....
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SimFan298 wrote: »
    I think my problem is that it makes me upset that I'm the only one with a certain opinion. Like how I think Resident Evil 6 is great, or that Portal is kind of mediocre and boring.
    I see many agreeing with you.
    starcrunch wrote: »
    ...in comes LGR with another review that really brings me down. It's a shame that we have different views on it. I used to like his videos, but all he does is complain now. And since everyone takes his word as law here, I feel like the odd one out.

Your opinion is ultimately the most important one! Can't really say this enough as it goes for any kind of art/game/tv show/movie and the reviews of those things. Not everyone will agree with your point of view or validate it, but no one's view is more important than yours when it comes to the things you like.

My love affair with Jane Austen novels isn't for others to dis - I think she's great and picks up on a lot of small details of life that I wouldn't consider otherwise, but the fact that a ton of other people don't agree and find her tedious doesn't change the enjoyment I get from them.
    Tssssssss, because they're wrooooooooong!!!!!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ponderosaponderosa Posts: 238 Member
    Himynameis wrote: »
    Imagine being so afraid of other people's opinions that you call for people to boycott someone and their personal views on a silly pack for a game just to affirm your own opinions about said game.
    I think that's extremely low and shows a lot about people when they can't even take a tiny bit of criticism about something they like without throwing a hissy fit.

do people call for him to be boycotted? i don't think i've ever seen that.
    tumblr_opta4zrh011r17qi5o1_500.gif
    origin ID: maureenponderosa
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    ... and LIMA beans with those Brussels Sprouts. Yum! Reviewed or not, my enjoyment persists on those veggies!
  • Options
    altkt075altkt075 Posts: 97 Member
    Are you going to give other people this much power over you? I wouldn't. If you were enjoying it then there is no reason for you to let other people affect the way you feel about something. Don't let people have this much power over you.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    In the nicest way possible you shouldn't allow another fans opinion to bring you down. If you are excited for the game and the latest pack why would a video make you feel bad about it? I don't understand that. LGR isn't saying "If you like this game you are silly and have nothing better to do" He is giving his view because EA asked him too, they sent him a copy early.

For example I feel like I'm the only fan in the world of Sim City 2013. That game was trashed so many times and there's no denying the game has a lot of flaws but I don't care that many you tubers criticised it. I agreed with many of their points but I still enjoy the game.

I honestly don't know why LGR gets such bad press around here, I find it sad. He's a fan like we all are. It seems he ruffled a few feathers within the community when he did the "Two years of meh" video. People either seemed to agree with that video and felt he was standing up for a lot of simmers who at that point felt their voices were being ignored and for those that didn't agree with it seemed to take it as a personal insult and I'm really not sure why.

LGR is allowed to say he doesn't like the game as we all are and just like many of the posts and feedback on her and on social media it's not always gushing with praise and excitement over say a decorative drink dispenser. It makes me laugh when people say I won't watch LGR because I know what he's going to say, he's going to say it's rubbish when actually if those people bothered to watch him he said he feels the game play object could have been better and gave examples as to how that could have been implemented I.e being able to track the score, having bowling leagues, being able to enter funny names into the game. He acknowledges there's a lot of cas items and decor.

I just don't get why he gets so much hate. Other you tubers have said they wouldn't recommend the pack over say Glamor Life or the kids stuff pack, they said bowling could get boring fast and once you have seen bowling once you have seen it all but they aren't criticised (Nor should they be) for not being all "OMG look we can pick a ball colour, look at that hair!!!" When it comes to reviewing the game play object I.e bowling their views weren't that different to LGRs.

At the end of the day if EA didn't like LGR's views I don't think they would keep sending him packs early and I don't think they would have invited him to be part of their influencer program.
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,406 Member
    I think my problem is that it makes me upset that I'm the only one with a certain opinion. Like how I think Resident Evil 6 is great, or that Portal is kind of mediocre and boring.

I like a lot of things that a lot of people seem to put down. I thought RE 6 was great. I still play it in fact. I thought the Assassin's Creed movie was really good as well. I love playing Assassin's Creed Unity. I love The Sims 4.

People are going to have different opinions. I know its hard to see people putting down things that you like, but at the end of the day, the only opinion that really matters is your own. Life is too short for petty plum. If you like something, enjoy without feeling bad about it
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    reading someones' comments from their wall section, is quite interesting, LOL

*sips on coffee*
  • Options
    reading someones' comments from their wall section, is quite interesting, LOL

*sips on coffee*
    Not sure if you're referring to this:
    As much as I really like The Sims 3, I literally cannot go over into the Sims 3 section of the forums anymore, because every time I do, everyone makes me feel like something is horribly wrong with me for liking Sims 4 a bit more.
    ...?
    Nobody cares :|
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MarktnMarktn Posts: 554 Member
    ...in comes LGR with another review that really brings me down. It's a shame that we have different views on it. I used to like his videos, but all he does is complain now. And since everyone takes his word as law here, I feel like the odd one out.

I don't think "everyone" here takes his word as law. I see plenty of dissent in every thread that gets started about his reviews. (Personally, I don't watch any video reviews - I get too impatient with them - but if I did, I'd do what I do with any other review: check some past reviews to see if I tend to agree with their opinions. If not, then I know they're not the reviewer for me.)

We all play our game our way. That is what is so great about The Sims. Bring on the bowling!
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

Not everyone likes the same thing -- I can't stand most seafood but I'm not going to feel like I'm weird if a restaurant reviewer gives a glowing review to The Diving Pelican. But it does illustrate a problem when someone allows their own opinion to color their review.

On Food Network shows like "Chopped" or other competitions, there are panels of judges, all of whom have to look beyond their own personal prejudices to judge the quality of the dish cooked. On one episode I watched yesterday, a judge stated that she didn't like a particular ingredient in a dish (I think it might have been eggplant) at all but she was able to look past that item and judge the quality of the dish. I watched LGR's review and felt that he fell into the trap of letting his opinion of the game color his pack review. I'll still enjoy his reviews because of the humor, but I won't let his opinion be the key factor in determining whether to buy a pack or not -- I'll let my own interest in the features help me make the decision. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    MrSimmisMrSimmis Posts: 1,693 Member
    What I don't get is the fact that he does reviews for the stuff packs! They are replacement for the store content and he never did reviews for them.
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    MrSimmis wrote: »
    What I don't get is the fact that he does reviews for the stuff packs! They are replacement for the store content and he never did reviews for them.

In fact he reviewed a number of TS3 store sets, for example the "Farm Fresh Folk Set", the whole Venice venue disaster and several worlds. Actually quite entertaining.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    *jumps to find that Venice thing review, I can imagine what it will sort of be like :D *
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member
    edited March 2017
    I've never trusted any reviewer since I learned that they forecast "Les Miserables" would be a flop and Terry Pratchett's science fantasy a waste of time.

I have saved several hours of my time in not reading or trusting them.
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,088 Member
    Oh quit poo pooing people for caring about what a reviewer says. Good lord. I like LGR, he is funny and I am a fan of his reviews. I have enjoyed watching him do sims reviews for ages. I am disappointed when he is not excited about something in TS4 that I am excited in, however it doesn't sway my decisions.

People are not stupid or lame or whatever else you want to call them just because they are bummed about his opinion or they care about his opinion. If you don't like him that's fine you are entitled to that opinion.

I think he is just fed up and his most recent reviews of the sims products have been lackluster and not gone into much detail. I get it, they aren't making the game how he would like it so he isn't putting much effort into the reviews.
  • Options
    DiabolicalAFDiabolicalAF Posts: 70 Member
    I don't know what the problem is to be honest. Your response seems very immature.

In theory YOU can't enjoy a game because OTHERS aren't enjoying it?

Come on, man. People can like or dislike whatever they want. People won't stop voicing their opinion or walk on eggshells in the fear that YOU won't like it.

No one is forcing you to watch his videos or listen to his opinions. The only person saying that "his word is law" is you...

• Options
    DiabolicalAFDiabolicalAF Posts: 70 Member
    P.s. Critisism - as long as it's done respectfully & constructively is a GREAT thing for the game and it's developers. I have yet to see LGR disrespect the game nor it's creators.
  • Options
    vivica86vivica86 Posts: 231 Member
    Why does it even matter what someone else thinks of the game?
    I had never heard of LGR until today. I watched his review. Thought it was humorous. I will be buying the pack as soon as it's released here in the UK.
    Let me take you down, cos I'm going to Strawberry Fields... <3
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    @SimFan298 I avoid reviews because I like to make up my own mind whether I like new content or not, once I review it for myself. But, regardless, if we did not have negative reviews and only positive, we would not have a true picture as to what the new content is like, for those that wish to watch the reviews. There are going to be good things and bad things about each new pack that comes out. We need to hear it from both sides to be fair.
    Remember, every review is just one person's opinion.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    At the end of the day, he's a fan. He's not a professional reviewer, he's just a fan.
    He only liked around 4 EP's from The Sims 3, when you watch this:
    I don't know why people consider him "gospel" when he has very specific taste.
    I think this is a straw man, nobody considers him 'gospel'. This is basically brought in as a sophism to try and silence him and Sims fans that don't happen to agree with you ('you', in general).
    5JZ57S6.png